You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
StBg17

Marco Polo or Yoshino?

29 comments in this topic

[SHAD]
Players
159 posts

So I have enough coal for either Marco polo or Yoshino, both interest me & i have Azuma, Is Yoshi that much different to merit picking her first even with already having her sister ship?

To those that have either or both ships, what do you think of them and which would you recommend getting first? Personally I'm leaning towards Marco.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles

Obligatory caveat: I have a grand total of three games between the two of them, so feel free to take my opinion with a generous dose of salt, I don't mind, I don't take things like that personally. You can agree or disagree with me however much you wish, just don't be a *edited* about it, that's all I ask.

That having been said, my vote is for the Marco Polo. The Yoshino is a fine ship but doesn't really bring anything new to the table, and is, frankly, more than a bit of a one trick pony (long range HE spammer, mostly), while the Marco is clearly the more flexible of the two.

• Cool 1

[HMPF]
Players
110 posts

Yoshino is quite borung, i regret buying her. She wants to stay far away from the reds, is a very big/long ship with almost no armor. 

But if you like to snipe from range, go for her. 

So far i would also vote for Marco, also kinda underwhelming but more fun than Yoshino for me so far. 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,933 posts
15,447 battles
14 hours ago, StBg17 said:

To those that have either or both ships, what do you think of them and which would you recommend getting first? Personally I'm leaning towards Marco.

Depends a lot on what you already have, and what you like playing, and in what sort of way.

I have Yoshino and have enough coal for Marco Polo (but I read the LWM review); I'm a DD main, but not a very good player - 48% overall WR, or it was the last I looked. In that context:

• Neither is 'essential', but either/both could be useful, depending on what you already have.
  • If I had neither, I might be tempted to get Yoshino first because there is more already in the game that does what Marco Polo does i.e. fairly standard BB things.
  • That said, what Yoshino does (spam HE from a long way away, and occasionally get a chance to use her torps, assuming you aren't into torping your own side from behind) isn't wildly exciting, and most 'useful' if you're trying to do missions, IMO.
  • Apart from the SAP, Marco Polo is a fairly typical BB (no smoke), so not wildly interesting either.
  • If LWM is right (and she seems to be a lot more often than she isn't), Marco Polo rather needs Deadeye to be effective at longer ranges, and there are better things to fight at distance with (plus Deadeye is for the chop), and she's a bit too short on hp to fight more effective at manly distances than several other choices.

So, if it were me, I would get Yoshino first if I had a need to start fires from long range (and felt able to deal with all the Deadeye BBs until the skill is removed, and don't mind not being able to make use of BB skills on supercruisers any more), and Marco Polo first if I didn't already have any other typical T9 BBs, and/or didn't need a long-range HE spamming supercruiser.

I do find Yoshino to be more fun than most 'normal' BBs in Coop though, but fast and/or manly BBs (Georgia, JB, Pommern) are all more fun than she is - YMMV of course.

• Cool 2

Players
2,244 posts
9,132 battles

I have both and like both of them.

I don’t have Azuma, but the consensus and the stats suggest that Azuma is stronger relative to her tier because of the better heal. I like to play Yoshino, but it has low influence on the outcome, which will show in your WR. The long range torps can hit your teammates quite often, and hit the enemies every second game, so they are rather a ‘fun’ aspect than a game changer.

Marco Polo has good gunnery at mid range. The way WG balanced her leads to frustration, but you can have fun games and above average BB performance. If you get Marco Polo, then you’re an early adopter. You can come to the forum and share your views, get more attention in game, etc.

If you are a BB main, then get Marco, if you are a kiting cruiser main, then get Yoshi. If you are neither, then decide if you want a slight variation of the Azuma, or take part in testing Marco Polo.

• Cool 1

Players
454 posts
4 hours ago, JohnMac79 said:

I wouldnt get either.

This. Get neither. Save the coal cause a better ship might be around the corner. Maybe the next thunderer

Players
2,797 posts
33,710 battles
7 hours ago, StBg17 said:

So I have enough coal for either Marco polo or Yoshino, both interest me & i have Azuma, Is Yoshi that much different to merit picking her first even with already having her sister ship?

Don’t get Yoshino if you already have Azuma, I have both listen to me. Their play styles are totally same. Yoshino torps mosty not usable due having allied ships front of you. They can be used maybe in late game which makes them very situational. Also it depends on your taste as one is a BB and the other one a cruiser. Pick whichever class you like playing more. 

[RODS]
Players
1,813 posts
7,821 battles

I used a :etc_swear:load of coal on the Yoshino thinking it was a better Zao

However..

Doesn´t have Zao:s maneuverability and can take big hits

Doesn´t start fires like Zao

Not as stealthy as Zao

Regret getting it..

Dont have the Marco but by looking at gameplay streams/videos I get the feel it is not a ship I am gonna do well in 

Beta Tester
1,204 posts

not marco polo for sure - it was designed with deadeye in mind. if deadeye gets nerfed/removed there is no certainty that marco polo gets buffed and looking at massa, georgia, and supercruisers it is rather sure that it will be left as it is

• Cool 1

Players
2,244 posts
9,132 battles
12 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

not marco polo for sure - it was designed with deadeye in mind. if deadeye gets nerfed/removed there is no certainty that marco polo gets buffed and looking at massa, georgia, and supercruisers it is rather sure that it will be left as it is

Somewhat unrelated, but people have high hopes for the dead eye rework. I've the feeling that players camping at the J line would not return miraculously if dead eye gets nerfed. They got the taste of camping and they won't give up this habit easily.

• Cool 6

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
5 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Somewhat unrelated, but people have high hopes for the dead eye rework. I've the feeling that players camping at the J line would not return miraculously if dead eye gets nerfed. They got the taste of camping and they won't give up this habit easily.

Yeah i agree... they discovered the "if i sit here, i wont die easily while i can still shoot something" so why go back to the old way where they would die much faster? Especially thunderers are a lost cause anyway, its not like they moved from spawn even before deadeye.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,204 posts
22 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

i dont have any hopes on wg/lesta. in fact i think that they will fck it up even further ... but like you noted we are not talking about people here ...

accuracy of marco polo without deadeye is miserable and there is no certainty that wg/lesta will fix it when deadeye get nerfed/removed as we can see from past

• Cool 1

Players
2,244 posts
9,132 battles
25 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

i dont have any hopes on wg/lesta. in fact i think that they will fck it up even further ... but like you noted we are not talking about people here ...

accuracy of marco polo without deadeye is miserable and there is no certainty that wg/lesta will fix it when deadeye get nerfed/removed as we can see from past

I don't see any point to hold onto your coal, except if it is your first coal ship. By the WG releases a strong coal ship, you will have enough coal to get her. There were no strong ships for coal since a while and even steel and RB ships are often below expectation. Getting these ships is more about variety than getting an OP competitive ship.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,204 posts
14 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I don't see any point to hold onto your coal, except if it is your first coal ship. By the WG releases a strong coal ship, you will have enough coal to get her. There were no strong ships for coal since a while and even steel and RB ships are often below expectation. Getting these ships is more about variety than getting an OP competitive ship.

still, it would be nice to occasionally hit an island from 10km ...

• Cool 1

Players
580 posts
17,662 battles

My advice is to hold onto your coal until they announce which coal ship they're removing from the Armoury next, and buy whatever that is. If you have enough coal saved to buy the most expensive ship and something else, you can buy some ship that hasn't been announced to be removed with the coupon, just before it expires. That's the safest strategy to avoid missing anything.

• Cool 4

[WCWVE]
Players
1,056 posts
17,033 battles

Seeing as I already have the Yoshine, and if I used the steel as well I would have enough for the Marco Polo, this is a no brainer, however, I am trying to save my steel so got to wait for another 70+k of coal to arrive or a new discount ticket

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles
5 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

This. I have been saying this for a while, the meta has been set and many people are firmly in the habit of sitting at max range and i dont see that changing anytime soon without another BIG rework, and we all know how 'reworks' turn out here... :Smile_hiding:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, JohnMac79 said:

This. I have been saying this for a while, the meta has been set and many people are firmly in the habit of sitting at max range and i dont see that changing anytime soon without another BIG rework, and we all know how 'reworks' turn out here... :Smile_hiding:

They've been doing that since long before dead eye sadly.

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles
2 minutes ago, lafeel said:

They've been doing that since long before dead eye sadly.

True, but it undoubtably made things a lot worse as people actually got rewarded more for it.

[SHAD]
Players
159 posts
19 hours ago, lafeel said:

Obligatory caveat: I have a grand total of three games between the two of them, so feel free to take my opinion with a generous dose of salt, I don't mind, I don't take things like that personally. You can agree or disagree with me however much you wish, just don't be a *edited* about it, that's all I ask.

That having been said, my vote is for the Marco Polo. The Yoshino is a fine ship but doesn't really bring anything new to the table, and is, frankly, more than a bit of a one trick pony (long range HE spammer, mostly), while the Marco is clearly the more flexible of the two.

That was my thought, having Azuma a ship that I find meh & tend to really only use in co-op for setting fire missions, I wouldn't feel to comfortable taking her into a random given how paper she is, didn't Jingles show that a T5 DD with 5 inch IFHE could pen it? and with the amount of people who just sail around spamming HE even in BBs nowadays (which just annoys me so much when its against a flat broadsiding ship, makes me go in my head, could have blapped them if you were firing the right ammo) thats just going to make her riveting to play in random.

19 hours ago, Chaoskraehe said:

Yoshino is quite borung, i regret buying her. She wants to stay far away from the reds, is a very big/long ship with almost no armor. 

But if you like to snipe from range, go for her. 

So far i would also vote for Marco, also kinda underwhelming but more fun than Yoshino for me so far. 

I found Azuma rather dry and only play her in co-op due to how little armour she has and the sniping from range, and seems that Yoshi is not much different I wonder is I'll find the same with her. 

19 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Depends a lot on what you already have, and what you like playing, and in what sort of way.

I have Yoshino and have enough coal for Marco Polo (but I read the LWM review); I'm a DD main, but not a very good player - 48% overall WR, or it was the last I looked. In that context:

• Neither is 'essential', but either/both could be useful, depending on what you already have.
  • If I had neither, I might be tempted to get Yoshino first because there is more already in the game that does what Marco Polo does i.e. fairly standard BB things.
  • That said, what Yoshino does (spam HE from a long way away, and occasionally get a chance to use her torps, assuming you aren't into torping your own side from behind) isn't wildly exciting, and most 'useful' if you're trying to do missions, IMO.
  • Apart from the SAP, Marco Polo is a fairly typical BB (no smoke), so not wildly interesting either.
  • If LWM is right (and she seems to be a lot more often than she isn't), Marco Polo rather needs Deadeye to be effective at longer ranges, and there are better things to fight at distance with (plus Deadeye is for the chop), and she's a bit too short on hp to fight more effective at manly distances than several other choices.

So, if it were me, I would get Yoshino first if I had a need to start fires from long range (and felt able to deal with all the Deadeye BBs until the skill is removed, and don't mind not being able to make use of BB skills on supercruisers any more), and Marco Polo first if I didn't already have any other typical T9 BBs, and/or didn't need a long-range HE spamming supercruiser.

I do find Yoshino to be more fun than most 'normal' BBs in Coop though, but fast and/or manly BBs (Georgia, JB, Pommern) are all more fun than she is - YMMV of course.

Is Yoshi that much different to Azuma to merit having both or can Azuma do much the same as Yoshi? Of course minus torps.

15 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I have both and like both of them.

I don’t have Azuma, but the consensus and the stats suggest that Azuma is stronger relative to her tier because of the better heal. I like to play Yoshino, but it has low influence on the outcome, which will show in your WR. The long range torps can hit your teammates quite often, and hit the enemies every second game, so they are rather a ‘fun’ aspect than a game changer.

Marco Polo has good gunnery at mid range. The way WG balanced her leads to frustration, but you can have fun games and above average BB performance. If you get Marco Polo, then you’re an early adopter. You can come to the forum and share your views, get more attention in game, etc.

If you are a BB main, then get Marco, if you are a kiting cruiser main, then get Yoshi. If you are neither, then decide if you want a slight variation of the Azuma, or take part in testing Marco Polo.

As I have Azuma already it is making me debate if Yoshi is a worthwhile use of coal for a slight variation in playstyle.

15 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

This. Get neither. Save the coal cause a better ship might be around the corner. Maybe the next thunderer

I will admit I was thinking of that, Thunderer is a very good ship and fun to play, but based on previous releases & coal accumulation, I should be able to gather enough coal again before such a new ship would be leaving the Armory.

13 hours ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Don’t get Yoshino if you already have Azuma, I have both listen to me. Their play styles are totally same. Yoshino torps mosty not usable due having allied ships front of you. They can be used maybe in late game which makes them very situational. Also it depends on your taste as one is a BB and the other one a cruiser. Pick whichever class you like playing more. 

That was my thought, and based on what I've seen, what is the point of sailing an up-tiered Azuma with torps that most of the time you won't be able to use.

8 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

I used a :etc_swear:load of coal on the Yoshino thinking it was a better Zao

However..

Doesn´t have Zao:s maneuverability and can take big hits

Doesn´t start fires like Zao

Not as stealthy as Zao

Regret getting it..

Dont have the Marco but by looking at gameplay streams/videos I get the feel it is not a ship I am gonna do well in 

I was similar with Azuma, kind of regretted using 1 mil free xp on her instead of saving for Agir, luckily I had about 80% of the free xp accumulated again by the time Agir went live so that softened the disappointment slightly.

8 hours ago, hellhound666 said:

8 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

As a BB main that hates camping, I really did not warm to dead-eye, there are few things in-game that annoy me more than seeing all the other BBs camping along the map boarder and having to either follow suit or get focused down by the enemy team.

11 hours ago, 300ConfirmedKills said:

My advice is to hold onto your coal until they announce which coal ship they're removing from the Armoury next, and buy whatever that is. If you have enough coal saved to buy the most expensive ship and something else, you can buy some ship that hasn't been announced to be removed with the coupon, just before it expires. That's the safest strategy to avoid missing anything.

To be honest out of all the coal ships I'm still to acquire (Neuatrashimy, Yoshino, Marceau, Marco Polo, Z-44, Flint, Aigle, Hill & Marblehead) I rarely play DDs as more a BB & Cruiser main so the DDs are of little interest to me, Marblehead is an Omaha Class and I hated playing the Omaha so I'll be avoiding that one, I have Atlanta & Atlanta B so is Flint that much different to merit getting her? And out of the ships currently in testing the only ones I'd be interested in to spend coal on would be:

- Agincourt - unlikely to be coal being a T5

- Constellation 

- Napoli 

• Cool 1

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles
6 minutes ago, StBg17 said:

I have Atlanta & Atlanta B so is Flint that much different to merit getting her?

No. Trying to play Flint with 11km range is frustrating, especially coming up against T9 ships and 12km radars.

Dont waste your coal.

[NMA]
Players
130 posts
4,805 battles
On 3/20/2021 at 2:15 AM, Verblonde said:

LWM reviews are quite inaccurate, she keeps editing them as the time goes by..she rated Massa as Mehbote when it launched, for me she's like Jingles in a female form. Entertaining, maybe, but nothing you should rely on.

[THESO]
Players
1,576 posts
18,625 battles
31 minutes ago, bakmaita said:

LWM reviews are quite inaccurate, she keeps editing them as the time goes by..she rated Massa as Mehbote when it launched, for me she's like Jingles in a female form. Entertaining, maybe, but nothing you should rely on.

Cause you can blame her for Wargaming reworking the game over and over and all the countless weeks of work she put into her reviews being rendered pointless. There is nothing entertaining in her reviews. They are pure information. If anything, you might say she doesn't always get it right, but I don't think one can blame her for that. A ship can be more than the sum of its qualities. I don't think anybody could make a perfect prediction of how a ship will turn out once it's in the game. Also her reviews are more for the average player, who doesn't want to make his own calls, but rely on some expert.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:18 AM, StBg17 said:

You want people to compare apples and oranges. Marco Polo has only been out a couple of days. Nobody can tell you if she is a decent ship and even less so if she will serve your needs.

Yoshino on the other had is out for so long and still an endangered species. She struggles in the current meta, since so many ships got good accuracy and range and she is such a big ship, she can hardly be missed. Every DeadEye-turnip will aim for you as soon as you're spotted. If you got the WASD-skills to dodge under a Priority Target indicator of 6+, the Yoshino may be your ship.

None of both ships will help evolving ones play style in a positive way. The Marco Polo will make people shoot SAP too much and the Yoshino will make the hang back too much. The Yoshino will automatically sabotage your team, unless played very consciously. Currently we don't see too many cruisers. The few that are left should have one or two of the following three properties: (1) Utility (mostly radar and hydro), (2) tankiness (hard to hit citadel or ice-breaker) or DPM. The Yoshino has neither.

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
1 hour ago, bakmaita said:

LWM reviews are quite inaccurate, she keeps editing them as the time goes by

She edits them because the game changes. The format of her reviews is all the objective information you could want and a short opinion, I disagree with her opinion on some ships too (sometimes) but that doesn't make her reviews inaccurate.

OP's question : If you can't decide between two very mediocre ships, you should save your coal/steel until there's a coal ship you really want. Getting a quarter million coal is time consuming, don't blow it on a ship you don't really want. I know you don't really want either because if you did, you wouldn't be asking this question.

• Cool 1