Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Getzamatic

Possible Italian Destroyer line

16 comments in this topic

[KONI]
Players
441 posts
4,301 battles

So I'm really only doing this so that I can say I told you so when WG eventually does an Italian DD tree, but here goes.

T2:  Generali Class

Generali-class destroyer - Wikipedia

3x1 102mm guns. 2x2 450mm torpedoes

The Obligatory WW1 era DD for tier 2.  These are the earliest Italian DDs to mount 102 mm guns.

T3:  Sella Class

Sella-class destroyer - Wikipedia

1x2 & 1x1 120mm guns.  2x2 533mm torpedoes

The first class of Italian DDs with 120mm guns.  Alternatively you could go for the preceding Curtatone class with four 102mm guns and six 450mm torpedoes.

T4:  Turbine Class

Turbine-class destroyer - Wikipedia

2x2 120mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

A numerous class of Italian fleet destroyer from the mid 20s.  You could also go for the slightly earlier but less numerous Sauro class which set the pattern for future Italian destroyers - they were basically the same.

T5:  Freccia Class

Freccia-class destroyer - Wikipedia

A bigger, tougher but slightly slower Turbine.  These ships had a new model of of gun and mount compared to the Turbine class so could be given superior gun handling and range.

T6:  Maestrale Class

Maestrale-class destroyer - Wikipedia

A next generation type that was larger, faster and more seaworthy than the Freccia, but had the same armament.  She could be given better handling characteristics that her predecessor.

T7: Carabiniere

Soldati-class destroyer - Wikipedia

2x2 & 1x1 120mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

The first example of the Soldati class that was armed with five instead of the usual four guns.  The Soldati's were the final class of Italian fleet destroyers to be constructed.

T8:  Navigatori Class

Navigatori-class destroyer - Wikipedia

3x2 120mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

The Italian navy's premier destroyer leaders.  Despite dating back to about 1930 and being contemporary with the Freccia class, they were largest and most powerfully armed Italian destroyers to be completed.

T9:  Commandanti Medaglie d'Oro Class

Comandanti Medaglie d'Oro-class destroyer - Wikipedia

5x1 135mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

A class of 2000 ton destroyers laid down in 1942 but never completed.  The first series of ships were only to have four guns, so that could be the A hull.  The only paper ships in the line.

T10:  Capitani Romani Class

Capitani Romani-class cruiser - Wikipedia

4x2 135mm guns.  2x4 533mm torpedoes

Not actually destroyers at all, but instead tiny cruisers.  They were, nevertheless, not a lot bigger than the French Mogador class destroyers and we already have a DD based on them in the game courtesy of the T9 Paulo Emilio.

So there we go - all the way from T2 to T10 with only one paper ship.  Opinions welcome...

• Cool 5

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
57 minutes ago, Getzamatic said:

The first class of Italian DDs with 120mm guns.  Alternatively you could go for the preceding Curtatone class with four 102mm guns and six 450mm torpedoes.

Suggestion: have the 2x2 120mm guns as a hull upgrade, seeing as all four of them were updated to that later in their lives.

[KONI]
Players
441 posts
4,301 battles
3 hours ago, lafeel said:

Suggestion: have the 2x2 120mm guns as a hull upgrade, seeing as all four of them were updated to that later in their lives.

Actually, that's a really good idea.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
13 minutes ago, Getzamatic said:

Actually, that's a really good idea.

Wiki fails to mention this, but my copy of Destroyers of WW2 does.

Also, a another possible ship for tier 3 would be the spica class which would be considerably simpler seeing as one of them is in game already (Romulus)

[KONI]
Players
441 posts
4,301 battles
10 hours ago, lafeel said:

Also, a another possible ship for tier 3 would be the spica class which would be considerably simpler seeing as one of them is in game already (Romulus)

True, but they were considerably smaller than the ships that came before them and would be chronologically out of sequence.  The Spicas were contemporary with the T6 and 7 ships in the tree.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
1 hour ago, Getzamatic said:

True, but they were considerably smaller than the ships that came before them and would be chronologically out of sequence.  The Spicas were contemporary with the T6 and 7 ships in the tree.

The line is already very out of  chronological sequence, seeing as the Navigatoris were a late 20's design.

[KONI]
Players
441 posts
4,301 battles
On 3/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, lafeel said:

The line is already very out of  chronological sequence, seeing as the Navigatoris were a late 20's design.

Hardly, out of nine ships they are the only one that's out of sequence.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
3 minutes ago, Getzamatic said:

Hardly, out of nine ships they are the only one that's out of sequence.

Wrong, the tier 9 and 10 are also in reverse chronological order.

[KONI]
Players
441 posts
4,301 battles
14 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Wrong, the tier 9 and 10 are also in reverse chronological order.

A slip of the tongue - I had intended to correct my comment to say "of the eight destroyers" but you replied before I had a chance to correct myself.

Beside, the Tier 10 isn't even a Destroyer, I freely admit that it's a fudge - but it is a real ship that can fill the T10 slot which is infinitely superior to using something invented by WG.

More to the point, the Navigatoris fit neatly between the Soldatis and Commandantis in terms of both size and fire power and are of roughly the same design generation to the Soldatis so they wouldn't look too out of place.  By contrast the Spicas would be significantly smaller than the Generalis before them and a generation more advanced than the Turbines after them.  Bearing in mind you don't need to use the Spicas for the T3 slot, why force them into the tree when they don't really fit?

Players
1,119 posts
On 3/20/2021 at 3:24 AM, Getzamatic said:

So I'm really only doing this so that I can say I told you so when WG eventually does an Italian DD tree, but here goes.

T2:  Generali Class

Generali-class destroyer - Wikipedia

3x1 102mm guns. 2x2 450mm torpedoes

The Obligatory WW1 era DD for tier 2.  These are the earliest Italian DDs to mount 102 mm guns.

T4:  Turbine Class

Turbine-class destroyer - Wikipedia

A numerous class of Italian fleet destroyer from the mid 20s.  You could also go for the slightly earlier but less numerous Sauro class which set the pattern for future Italian destroyers - they were basically the same.

T5:  Freccia Class

Freccia-class destroyer - Wikipedia

A bigger, tougher but slightly slower Turbine.  These ships had a new model of of gun and mount compared to the Turbine class so could be given superior gun handling and range.

T6:  Maestrale Class

Maestrale-class destroyer - Wikipedia

A next generation type that was larger, faster and more seaworthy than the Freccia, but had the same armament.  She could be given better handling characteristics that her predecessor.

T7: Carabiniere

Soldati-class destroyer - Wikipedia

2x2 & 1x1 120mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

The first example of the Soldati class that was armed with five instead of the usual four guns.  The Soldati's were the final class of Italian fleet destroyers to be constructed.

T8:  Navigatori Class

Navigatori-class destroyer - Wikipedia

3x2 120mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

The Italian navy's premier destroyer leaders.  Despite dating back to about 1930 and being contemporary with the Freccia class, they were largest and most powerfully armed Italian destroyers to be completed.

T9:  Commandanti Medaglie d'Oro Class

Comandanti Medaglie d'Oro-class destroyer - Wikipedia

5x1 135mm guns.  2x3 533mm torpedoes

A class of 2000 ton destroyers laid down in 1942 but never completed.  The first series of ships were only to have four guns, so that could be the A hull.  The only paper ships in the line.

T10:  Capitani Romani Class

Capitani Romani-class cruiser - Wikipedia

4x2 135mm guns.  2x4 533mm torpedoes

Not actually destroyers at all, but instead tiny cruisers.  They were, nevertheless, not a lot bigger than the French Mogador class destroyers and we already have a DD based on them in the game courtesy of the T9 Paulo Emilio.

So there we go - all the way from T2 to T10 with only one paper ship.  Opinions welcome...

On 3/20/2021 at 7:56 AM, lafeel said:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oimnPafJHQjlzmqX1RZRjjkCB6YWBzRB17_2GhUdIx0/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my stats for the tier ten Ita DD proposed. What do you think?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, totally_potato said:

Like will this DD work if it is ever brought into the game especially in this meta??

Only testing would show one way or the other, but it is a interesting idea for sure for what that is worth.

Players
1,119 posts
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Only testing would show one way or the other, but it is a interesting idea for sure for what that is worth.

ikr. This would have been more interesting than the upcoming German DD split which they couldn't even pull off with grace:Smile_facepalm:

Sign in to follow this