Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldSchoolFrankie

@WG: How u test new ships?

94 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,901 battles
1 minute ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

How u test new ships? How does such a test work? Can you please explain the process to me?

They cannot explain a process they have not yet figured out themselves. 
 

The only real test probably boils down to meetings dedicated to how much they can charge.

  • Cool 17
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,130 posts
1 hour ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

How u test new ships? How does such a test work? Can you please explain the process to me?

I can not tell you exactly where it was and when it was, but i'm almost certain that there is a video about how they create new ships based on blueprints and test them, how they go into supertest and then on PTS for a public test. Maybe someone else remembers this video, i don't, but i'm 99.9% sure that i've seen this before.

 

Update

It's somewhere in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVmXzlhZvJVRF1k1CD98EmOXQYaVhLVUN

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
14,941 battles

They look up the results of the testing on the spreadsheet?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Modder
5,186 posts
9,464 battles
2 hours ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

How u test new ships? How does such a test work? Can you please explain the process to me?

  • Internal testing at Wargamings HQ,
  • followed by test sessions with Supertesters on dedicated servers,
  • PTS with more players before publish date
  • published ship

First three instances can have multiple iterations.

 

 

Any questions left?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAG]
Players
431 posts
15,534 battles
2 minutes ago, principat121 said:
  • Internal testing at Wargamings HQ,
  • followed by test sessions with Supertesters on dedicated servers, 
  • PTS with more players before publish date
  • published ship

First three instances can have multiple iterations.

 

 

Any questions left?

Thank you.

 

Who are this Supertesters? What qualifications do these Supertesters have? How can a ship like the Austin get through the testing process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[V888]
Beta Tester
407 posts
30,123 battles

And now the actual point of the thread is revealed

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RNR-]
Beta Tester
1,368 posts
16,338 battles

Simple algoritm if Russian BUFF, if german NERF 

IF CV buff

IF AA remove. 

 

Simple :) 

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAG]
Players
431 posts
15,534 battles
2 minutes ago, Shagulon said:

And now the actual point of the thread is revealed 

 It's not the first time that this question has crossed my mind. It's just the current occasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
919 posts
4,003 battles

Super Testers are not allowed anymore to express their opinion on the ships. Before there were plenty of "work in progress" videos and testers were detecting a lot of bs in advance. That should tell you everything.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,908 posts
15,691 battles
9 minutes ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

Thank you.

 

Who are this Supertesters? What qualifications do these Supertesters have? How can a ship like the Austin get through the testing process?

We had just recently a recruting thread listing the requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SVX]
Players
1,380 posts
16,297 battles
11 minutes ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

Thank you.

 

Who are this Supertesters? What qualifications do these Supertesters have? How can a ship like the Austin get through the testing process?

austin is not that good you know. sure when you have the perfect location and can use your insane dps sure. but if you are forced to tank eaven the slightest you will feel the pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NOCAP]
Privateer
5,869 posts
13,373 battles
12 minutes ago, Von_Pruss said:

Super Testers are not allowed anymore to express their opinion on the ships. Before there were plenty of "work in progress" videos and testers were detecting a lot of bs in advance. That should tell you everything.

Is the concept of a NDA really that hard to grasp? 

 

EDIT: Also everybody WILLINGLY agreed to it and we can still give feedback to ships,  it just stays out of public. 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
562 posts
5,020 battles
7 minutes ago, mcboernester said:

Is the concept of a NDA really that hard to grasp? 

 

EDIT: Also everybody WILLINGLY agreed to it and we can still give feedback to ships,  it just stays out of public. 

I believe his point is not whether you should adhere to an NDA (doh), but rather that WG feels they need to prohibit such information from becoming public.

 

Namely, that it will hurt sales of crappy ships/daft concepts.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Modder
5,186 posts
9,464 battles
23 minutes ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

Who are this Supertesters? What qualifications do these Supertesters have? How can a ship like the Austin get through the testing process?

  1. Normal Player who are part of the ST-programme.
  2. Passing the WG-qualifications for STs. See into the recent thread.
  3. Because the person(s) responsible for publishing ships said so. Publishing ships (i.e. closing the test stage) has nothing to do with the testing itself nor how the testing is conducted. When it is done, it is done.

 

3 minutes ago, mcboernester said:

Is the concept of a NDA really that hard to grasp? 

It was not part of the NDA to express their opinions regarding certain test ships. ST could in the past also share pics (with WiP-watermarks) of new ships. Nowadays ST cannot do that. And there is a huge difference between CCs and STs. While you know the difference, alot of people mix them together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NOCAP]
Privateer
5,869 posts
13,373 battles
7 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

I believe his point is not whether you should adhere to an NDA (doh), but rather that WG feels they need to prohibit such information from becoming public.

 

Namely, that it will hurt sales of crappy ships/daft concepts.

And this is a common misunderstanding. The NDA was implemented because there have been cases where the ship in question was altered multiple times over the course of the test, yet the published videos showed the first alteration which differed quite a bit from the final product. To avoid this CCs get a break for content release till roughly 1-2 weeks before it is finished. 

 

Its not to hide something, its just to avoid these uproars every 5minutes somebody saw it and rages on reddit..... like with the initial Versions of Conqueror and Kremlin for example since both had Radar at the start, or the initial release of german dds that got their characteristic changed from gun to torp boats over the ST. Or the first Mino that fired HE. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LSCA]
Players
1,648 posts
12,974 battles

Supertesters  are androids from future, they used the time capsule for fly back to our current age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
919 posts
4,003 battles
15 minutes ago, mcboernester said:

Is the concept of a NDA really that hard to grasp? 

 

EDIT: Also everybody WILLINGLY agreed to it and we can still give feedback to ships,  it just stays out of public. 

What a dumb comment and even more dumb edit. Clearly the problem is that it stays out of public and everyone knows the reasons for it. WG got too much crap letting players have a look into their original plans. Reacting to feedback then was mandatory while under an entirely non-public NDA they can chose if to react to feedback or not. We all know what they mostly do. Are you seriously that naive or are you try to fool people with that bs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,908 posts
15,691 battles
13 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

I believe his point is not whether you should adhere to an NDA (doh), but rather that WG feels they need to prohibit such information from becoming public.

 

Namely, that it will hurt sales of crappy ships/daft concepts.

When you speak about all the problems your unfinished product has during development, that is not surprising.

That is why car and pharma companies do not let the public test unfinished products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
919 posts
4,003 battles
7 minutes ago, mcboernester said:

Its not to hide something, its just to avoid these uproars every 5minutes somebody saw it and rages on reddit.....

It is actually funny you are falling for this bs. ^^ As if there were work in progress videos every five minutes. And as if a non-public NDA would help with reducing bs ships and ultra powercreep. Just look at what we are getting next. But I am sure you have bravely listed your fine feedback which then WG will simply ignore. It is a rightout shill move trying to sell this as a good action for the players in the end. Like wtf. ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,908 posts
15,691 battles
Just now, Von_Pruss said:

It is actually funny you are falling for this bs. ^^ As if there were work in progress videos every five minutes. And as if a non-public NDA would help with reducing bs ships and ultra powercreep. Just look at what we are getting next. But I am sure you have bravely listed your fine feedback which then WG will simply ignore. It is a rightout shill move trying to sell this as a good action for the players in the end. Like wtf. ^^

We had test videos of three different versions of the same ship, maybe even more.

How are they relevant for the finished product? Do you want to explain to a paying customer why feature x of version 1 did not make to the final product?

 

Btw. the old approach did not prevent WG from messing up. Forum is full of it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NOCAP]
Privateer
5,869 posts
13,373 battles
26 minutes ago, Von_Pruss said:

What a dumb comment and even more dumb edit. Clearly the problem is that it stays out of public and everyone knows the reasons for it. WG got too much crap letting players have a look into their original plans. Reacting to feedback then was mandatory while under an entirely non-public NDA they can chose if to react to feedback or not. We all know what they mostly do. Are you seriously that naive or are you try to fool people with that bs?

 

18 minutes ago, Von_Pruss said:

It is actually funny you are falling for this bs. ^^ As if there were work in progress videos every five minutes. And as if a non-public NDA would help with reducing bs ships and ultra powercreep. Just look at what we are getting next. But I am sure you have bravely listed your fine feedback which then WG will simply ignore. It is a rightout shill move trying to sell this as a good action for the players in the end. Like wtf. ^^

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just simply now better cause im involved but whatever floats your boat i guess. Nice language btw. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
919 posts
4,003 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

That is why car and pharma companies do not let the public test unfinished products.

There are actuals laws defining the rules of these markets. There are none for the creative part in fantasy products with copied pixels where the majority of the road map is actively defining the loss of value over time as the main strategy of customer loyalty in a competitive environment and where all these values outplay against each other. Your comparisons are not viable at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,908 posts
15,691 battles
1 minute ago, Von_Pruss said:

There are actuals laws defining the rules of these markets. There are none for the creative part in fantasy products with copied pixels where the majority of the road map is actively defining the loss of value over time as the main strategy of customer loyalty in a competitive environment and where all these values outplay against each other. Your comparisons are not viable at all.

They do not give out the results of their internal tests either, unless it is product ending...

And car companies are allowed to let the public test their products on private ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×