Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
webaake

Aoba any good?

36 comments in this topic

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
5,003 battles

I have had the Furutaka for a while now and I don't like it. Is the next in tech tree , Aoba any good? Is it fun to play? I have the Kotovsky, Königsberg, Lazo and others, which are more fun to play. (Omaha is not too bad)

Alternatives in different tech trees (for me); Nurnberg, Pensacola, Budyonny? 

I'm grinding XP, so it's essential to make the right choice. The chest of Dubloons is empty, only dust at the bottom. :Smile_coin:

[-RNR-]
Beta Tester
1,437 posts
16,374 battles
5 minutes ago, webaake said:

I have had the Furutaka for a while now and I don't like it. Is the next in tech tree , Aoba any good? Is it fun to play? I have the Kotovsky, Königsberg, Lazo and others, which are more fun to play. (Omaha is not too bad)

I'm grinding XP, so it's essential to make the right choice. The chest of Dubloons is empty, only dust at the bottom. :Smile_coin:

Looooooooong time ago it was great ship. Now i woud just stop play crusers, t6 you will get wreckt no matter what cruser you will take. Leander is good from silver ships, im unsure about rest just most t6 crusers cant survieve 5-6 t8 bbs meta of current game. 

[MUMMY]
Players
676 posts
10,481 battles

Furataka is a brilliant ship, Aoba plays similarly to Furataka.  Arguably Furataka is a much better ship than Aoba due to it being a tier lower.

Both ships have a high skill ceiling for their tier though, just dont be afraid to use AP.

• Cool 2

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
5,003 battles
32 minutes ago, Adm_Andre said:

Why do you play Cruiser in the current Meta? 

Seems that cruisers fit my temperament the best. BB's are way too slow and have very few possibilties, in my view. With cruisers you can change tactics mid battle by manouvering. Not so much in BB's. DD's I find are ok if your in the mood and feel aggressive :) or feel sneaky. :) 

Players
248 posts
2,902 battles

Furutaka is better, but I like Aoba a lot. At first it played horribly, but later I had a lot of great games and it's very solid cruiser.

Between  Aoba and Pensacola, I would rate Aoba slighly higher 

Beta Tester
1,204 posts
1 hour ago, Adm_Andre said:

not all like to polish map borders

• Funny 3

[-STD-]
Players
88 posts
1,306 battles
1 hour ago, Adm_Andre said:

Because why would you want to play BBs at all times unless you're an actual senile turtle? I've played way too much BB to know that it's boring as hell, cruisers are more flexible

• Cool 1

Players
703 posts
28,488 battles

Aoba is very Similar to the Furutaka. I think the Furutaka gives a very good Impression on how the Japanese heavy Cruisers play.

They have decent Armor for a Cruiser. If you need more Armor than you should look for a fast Battleship.

They have nice long range Torps but the firing Arcs for the Torpo Tubes are often terrible. So be carefull when you want to use them and make sure no Battleship/Heavy Cruiser has your Broadside.

They have both very good He and AP Shells. You get additional Turrets from Tier 7 but the firing Arcs are poor. Other Nations like the US or the Russians have better firing Arcs.

Since these are Heavy Cruisers they can Citadell ever Cruiser at any Range that is giving Broadside but have a slower Reload. If you want a fast Reload you should look for a Light Cruiser (Caliber 155mm or smaller) or get the Des Moines.

Lets Compare Aoba to Pensacola and Nürnberg.

Pensacola has a higher Alpha Strike with 10 Guns against 6 but a slower Reload with 15 Seconds aginst 11 and worse Concealment.

Nürnberg is a light Cruiser with a large Gun Range but very poor Firing Arcs and the weakest Armor of all Tier 6 Cruisers.

There is also the Dallas. The Ship has the Same Gun Layout as the Pensa but with faster Firing 152mm Guns and a better Concealment.

All in all I liked the Japanese Heavy Cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
376 posts
12,421 battles
2 hours ago, webaake said:

aoba is a good ship so is the myoko, but at tx the zao is a shadow of its former self. Just get yourself a bud, and go up to the petro and you have the best pushing ship in the game, or you can go for the nevksy, with its stupid HE fire chance, and DM ap, but you get laser guns

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
5,003 battles

Very nice tips guys! Thx! Now I must think about this and decide. Not easy! :Smile_glasses: <Too many options, but so far I like the German and Russian ships. The US Ships are on my observation list, and undecided. If I think far ahead, the Petropavlovsk is shimmering on the horizon, but the Aoba might just be around the corner. 

(seems I'm not a "senile turtle" yet! Really liked that comment!) 

Players
847 posts
8,054 battles

I did not like the Aoba at all. Furutaka was ok, Myoko and Mogami are stellar. Just, I have paused playing cruisers at low tiers. I just can't take it, Bayerns with Deadeye sniping. Game is full of them. And Kongos and Fusos. I knew seal clubbers were lame, but now they are also sad. Just sad people. 

[VIBES]
Players
921 posts
20,263 battles

Aoba is very good, but she has worse torpedo angles than Furutaka: good for kiting away, not as much for rushes/ambushes.

Pensacola is very powerful at her tier: great AA, huge broadside and 25 mm extremities: she can tank 14'' AP shells, which are common in her matchmaking spread (New Mexico, KGV, Konig, Izmail, Fuso; Doria and Dunkerque have smaller guns, still).

The Aoba (16 mm bow) can be citadelled through the nose by all of those, as well as Scharnhorst and Graf Spee, for that matter.

The La Galissoniere is often underrated, but she's very powerful when spamming HE from behind islands. However, French cruisers become long-range kiters from Tier 7 (Algerie), and they play differently, closer to the Japanese (minus the torps).

Imho the USN CA line (Pensacola - Des Moines) is great.

Buffalo is underwhelming, but New Orleans is good and Baltimore is excellent (stealth radar, great concealment, can tank 15'' AP, which she'll face often). The Des Moines is just ridiculous if you're a good player.

Players
69 posts
1,467 battles

Aoba, I’m new to this ship too, but I like it.

armor, 48mm deck, ultra bouncy. Low to water, okay belt with overlapping torpedo plates, good at shattering DD HE.

gun, same guns from Furu buy faster reload , u should be used to them by now. 203, high HE pen, nice AP, okay velocity, hits DD luck a truck, okay dispersion. 

torpedos: hard to use, no forward angles. Long range good for kiting but i barely hit anything with them. No good for knife fight.

maintain at least 12km+ and wiggle and angle away and crap on BB With hard hitting HE, very satisfying.

Players
940 posts
6,614 battles
7 hours ago, Adm_Andre said:

- IMPROVE as an overall player.

- Grind that line

- Play something different than the backlining BB (that is the current meta).

- Have fun / have a challenge

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles

For the more puerile, Aoba does have the merit of becoming - with the addition of a suitable cammo (Twitch, perhaps) - a Purple Aoba (pun on 'oboe')...

<tumbleweed and crickets>

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,313 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, Gwynbleidd11 sagte:

Between  Aoba and Pensacola, I would rate Aoba slighly higher 

Between Aoba and Pensacola, I would chose Izmail.

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,313 battles
Vor 8 Stunden, webaake sagte:

...Kotovsky ... more fun to play. 

:Smile_amazed::cap_wander:

• Funny 1

Players
522 posts
5,790 battles
33 minutes ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

:Smile_amazed::cap_wander:

Quite

Hated Kotovsky, just got blown up all the time, WR quite good though so presumably served a useful pinata distraction to the enemy while the rest of the team were getting on with winning.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,141 battles
14 minutes ago, bobtherterrible said:

Quite

Hated Kotovsky, just got blown up all the time, WR quite good though so presumably served a useful pinata distraction to the enemy while the rest of the team were getting on with winning.

Soviet Cruiser - good guns, tinfoil hull. 

I seem to recall Aoba was alright. I think I rebought it recently and it was.... alright. The problem with it is the main battery, a six shell broadside needs to be very well aimed to win duels with HE spamming light cruisers (and you'll see lots of those in games with Tier VII opponents) But it leads to Myoko and Moggie, which are fun to play. 

Players
522 posts
5,790 battles
1 minute ago, invicta2012 said:

Soviet Cruiser - good guns, tinfoil hull. 

Well i'd take issue with the guns being good on Kotovsky TBH, torps are super short range too.

It does, IIRC  have a nice sounding horn.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,141 battles
13 minutes ago, bobtherterrible said:

Well i'd take issue with the guns being good on Kotovsky TBH, torps are super short range too

Fire more AP. Kotovksy has the hardest hitting 152mm guns of any Tier V or Tier VI 6 inch CL - something like 20mm better Armour pen than a Dallas or Helena. Perfectly capable of citadelling cruisers 15k away. The problem is what happens when someone fires back.