Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NobleSauvage

Newport Challenge

30 comments in this topic

Players
1,088 posts

We have a few hours left of Newpoooooort! Week, and I thought I'd suggest a challenge for whoever cares to take it up: have a go at Newport in a ship you wouldn't usually think of trying, do your best to win, then come back here to share the tale of your glorious exploits.

I imagine there's a fair amount of scepticism forming in folks' minds as they read that. Newport has quite a reputation (and not a good one), and deliberately playing a ship you don't think will work might seem counterproductive, even disrespectful to your poor potential teammates. However, there are a few reasons I think it's worth a shot:

Firstly, Newport seems to be a lot easier recently; I've mentioned this once or twice before that the enemy ships seem far more restricted in their speed and courses to be more predictable and put less pressure on the players. If you've not yet gotten four or five stars on Newport, why not give it a go for that 10pt Japanese commander and 24 hours of Premium Time?

Secondly, you'd be helping prove to WG that people actually play Ops, so we might actually get some more love for them in times to come.

Thirdly, it's a great way of playing T6 without having to deal with enemy carriers!

And lastly, by playing a ship you normally wouldn't use or consider, you can have fun coming up with new tactics and pushing yourself to succeed in a way you wouldn't with the same old reliables; psychologically you'd be getting yourself out of the usual over-serious must-do-well rut and potentially enjoying things a lot more.

So, is anyone up for it? If so, let's see below, not just results screenshots (or even without if you'd prefer not to share) but also the saga of how it went, complete with all the gory details!

I'm going to try Aoba for my first try, will update later to let y'all know how it goes...

• Cool 5

[SM0KE]
Players
6,948 posts
15,455 battles
6 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Newport seems to be a lot easier recently

If that's the case (it's the only Op I actively avoid, because it always used to be far too unreliable a use of my time, and was almost never actually fun), I might give it another go - thanks for the heads up.

8 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

same old reliables

Not sure I have any of these for Newport..!

• Cool 3

Players
6,668 posts
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

If that's the case (it's the only Op I actively avoid, because it always used to be far too unreliable a use of my time, and was almost never actually fun), I might give it another go - thanks for the heads up.

Not sure I have any of these for Newport..!

I used my trusty Bayern (realistic hull) for this, all you need is a good team that knows what they are doing, if you got that anyone, including me (!), can manage to get the five stars now. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
604 posts
5,062 battles

It's not a question of your ship, but of having a team that has at the very most one potato. If you have two potatoes or more, you can at most scrape a win with a star or two, five stars is impossible.

If you know what you're doing in operations, you can carry in even the most mediocre of boats. One person's carry just isn't enough in Newport.

• Cool 2

Players
1,077 posts
18,199 battles
13 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

My impression from playing it a few days ago is the same. It´s easier.

At the same time, most of your random teammates improved on failing hardly :dance_turtle:

If you can division up, maybe with some decent CV player, it´s not so hard anymore.

I often play Ryujo (or however this name is spelled) and Loewenhardt. Bots really try to avoid the torps which slows their approach noticeably.

• Cool 2

Players
6,668 posts
9 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

It's not a question of your ship, but of having a team that has at the very most one potato. If you have two potatoes or more, you can at most scrape a win with a star or two, five stars is impossible.

If you know what you're doing in operations, you can carry in even the most mediocre of boats. One person's carry just isn't enough in Newport.

Exactly! It is a team effort.

Players
2,043 posts
3,825 battles

i was actually able to complete it 2 days ago in Mutsu so i'll just drop the post here

I have to say did played a fair ammount of Ops during this patch, as they are a much more reliable environment where to grind stuff than Randoms (let alone Ranked). What i did was to grind what i could in Co-op, with some Randoms in between and leave the mission that could be done in Operations for last (too bad there was only one per Directive) and then grind it in Operations; 

I honestly want more operations, across all tiers tbh, from T2 to T10; they don't need to be really based on real battles if you ask me.

It's again a problem of WG that they don't undestand that people don't play operations (and thus Ops are unpopular) because it's very likely that they played them a lot of times already got all the rewards and got bored out of them; 

• Cool 5

[R3B3L]
Players
1,421 posts
32,685 battles
46 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

have a go at Newport in a ship you wouldn't usually think of trying, do your best to win, then come back here to share the tale of your glorious exploits.

For me that would be the London. 13.4km range is not convincing.... but you are right, no T8s in scenarios :cap_hmm:

I´ll give it a try later but I doubt it will be GLORIOUS :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

Modder
5,396 posts
24,445 battles

I just took Pensa, but she is probably too much OP for such operation. Massacred I and III wave and those 2 cruisers close to Romeo shooting broadsides, then used map line to be invincible to bots, so easy 5 stars

shot-21_03.17_14_52.28-0277.jpg.8927dec943af8980a3e10ed669d79acd.jpg

20210317_143120_PASC106-Pensacola-1944_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay

• Cool 2

Players
1,088 posts

First go (Aoba, Cpt. A. L. 'Good grief, they're both as large as my head!' Azuma commanding):

Not an unmitigated success (some screenies attached below); thanks to a stuck rudder flashing my perky, naked broadside(the shame) to a whole mess of cruisers and destroyers I had to take an early bath, but we still managed 3*.

I started off in the most manly way possible, hiding behind an island and sniping over it at poor defenceless T2-3-4 cruisers, until they unsportingly went behind a bit that was too steep for me to shoot over. The next wave came head-on to my bows so I mostly stayed that way (give or take a bit of hiding behind another island), kept pouring on the fire and managed to bring down a stray destroyer that tried to outflank us. Highlight of the wave was hitting a 'Taka and a König both with the same torpedo salvo, and anyone who's tried using Aoba's uncooperative torpedo arcs will know how satisfying that was. Then the next wave yet again appeared off my bows (I was by far the closest to them from the green team), so it all got a bit firey and hectic, I did some damage but couldn't disengage for repairs due to aforementioned steering gear damage, the inevitable happened.

After that it looked a bit hairy for a while, the rest of the team wasn't really close enough to stop the reds breaking into the perimeter of the base and we started losing ships; somehow though, we ended up with a couple of Bayerns and our Ryujo refusing to die and taking the ol' Gunk-can down with less than ten seconds left on the clock.

Somehow, I came in second on the team (behind the carrier); can't help but feel that I'd have gotten a lot more kills with faster-firing guns given that other folks kept finishing off ships I was damaging, but all in all I think Aoba did pretty well for herself.

Next up, more coffee Andrew Diarrhoea Andrea Doria (to be extra-topical)!

Newport1a.png

Newport1b.png

Newport1c.png

• Cool 2

Players
1,088 posts
4 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

I just took Pensa, but she is probably too much OP for such operation. Massacred I and III wave and those 2 cruisers close to Romeo shooting broadsides, then used map line to be invincible to bots, so easy 5 stars

20210317_143120_PASC106-Pensacola-1944_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay

Brave man! I was considering taking her out for one of my goes (I'm normally terrified of showing any kind of broadside given that her sides are made of tinfoil), but as you've done it already I'll let myself off ;)

Modder
5,396 posts
24,445 battles
Just now, NobleSauvage said:

Brave man! I was considering taking her out for one of my goes (I'm normally terrified of showing any kind of broadside given that her sides are made of tinfoil), but as you've done it already I'll let myself off ;)

Pensa is a monster, Just don't hang up at base but hard press W from the start and go into middle of the map. Time and shooting broadsides are everything in this operation. When You are forced to switch to HE, then it's lost.

• Cool 1

Players
1,088 posts
18 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

For me that would be the London. 13.4km range is not convincing.... but you are right, no T8s in scenarios :cap_hmm:

I´ll give it a try later but I doubt it will be GLORIOUS :Smile_veryhappy:

I quite like London for Ops myself, as soon as the enemy are in range to spot your gunfire through the smoke they're close enough for torpedoes ;)

Players
1,088 posts

Go the second (Andrea Doria, noone interesting in command):

So, better but also worse than last time. Only a 2* effort, but somehow I managed to get a heck of a lot more damage done despite the accuracy not being at all reliable over 6km! Also, I was limiting myself to AP for everything except Izumo (and her little Bayern helper who shared some of my salvoes with her), given that I'm not convinced the SAP is all that useful on the AD (as I've posted about elsewhere); seems to have kinda worked out...

As her armour is pretty good, I pretty much spent the early game just sitting in the open at as much of an angle I could while working all the gun turrets, ended up firing the for'ard turrets as a group and then the aft ones pretty much throughout; atrocious accuracy, so it was about wave 3 before I broke past 30k damage. I was intending to tank for my teammates (only battleship on the team, which was a slightly disquieting sight at the start of the match!), but the enemy didn't really oblige, so it wasn't until about the same time that I actually lost any HP. Got a bit slagged by the time Izumo and Bayern arrived (swallowed a couple of torps but dodged quite a few more thanks to the manoeuvrability), managed to finish them both off myself and then a quick König for dessert; annoyingly, I ended up one kill (of any type, a fourth battleship would have been my eighth overall) away from a Natural Selection, ho-hum.

Overall, somewhat impressed by AD's performance to be honest, given the awful accuracy and smaller guns I wasn't expecting her to do so well; then again, if she was better at longer ranges it's possible we would have gotten an extra star or two if I could have knocked a few more reds out sooner. Given how many misses and richochets I ended up with, I'm not convinced using more SAP would have made much difference.

I'm going to take a break for a bit now, will see about having another go when I get back; I don't think there's much that's more inappropriate than Västerås in Ops (as much as I enjoy playing her normally), so might give her a spin.

Bon Voyage! Let's see what you folks can come up with.

Newport2a.png

Newport2b.png

Newport2c.png

• Cool 3

[OHRIP]
Players
1,196 posts
9,899 battles

Andrea Doria: Our cruisers hid in the back and did not manage to kill the early destroyers, early attack wave triggered. Loss.

Andrea Doria: Had to fight destroyers again in Italian BB due to team hiding behind islands. Loss.

• Cool 1

Players
1,088 posts
31 minutes ago, Dampfboot said:

Andrea Doria: Our cruisers hid in the back and did not manage to kill the early destroyers, early attack wave triggered. Loss.

Andrea Doria: Had to fight destroyers again in Italian BB due to team hiding behind islands. Loss.

Condolences! Out of interest, SAP or AP (or both as and when)?

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts

Tried in an Aoba and lasted about 2/3rd of the battle before a detonation. Rest of the team managed to mop up and we got 2 stars.

My only other tier VI was the Icarus. Proved useful heading out and getting early spotting for everyone as we had no carrier. Slinging torps when popping out from behind islands was successful too. Couldnt quite manage to defend all the bases so we gained 4 stars.

If you want to protect all the bases does everyone have to push out beyond the green radius you are trying to keep clear of enemies?

Only my second day playing operations and they are definitely a step up from standard CoOp.

• Cool 1

Players
1,088 posts
1 minute ago, Gebbly said:

Tried in an Aoba and lasted about 2/3rd of the battle before a detonation. Rest of the team managed to mop up and we got 2 stars.

My only other tier VI was the Icarus. Proved useful heading out and getting early spotting for everyone as we had no carrier. Slinging torps when popping out from behind islands was successful too. Couldnt quite manage to defend all the bases so we gained 4 stars.

If you want to protect all the bases does everyone have to push out beyond the green radius you are trying to keep clear of enemies?

Only my second day playing operations and they are definitely a step up from standard CoOp.

Nice work! You never have to push outside the base itself to get a 5* game, but sometimes it can help (destroyers and light cruisers spotting like you described, short-ranged ships pushing up to get flanking shots etc.); best to experiment and find a strategy that works for you and also compliments(/makes up for) the way your team is playing at the time. If you/r team can put enough firepower down on the reds, doesn't really matter where you do it from as you should do well.

And another bonus of Newport: the Op. that comes along tomorrow is guaranteed to be easier!

[OHRIP]
Players
1,196 posts
9,899 battles
1 hour ago, NobleSauvage said:

Condolences! Out of interest, SAP or AP (or both as and when)?

Used SAP exclusively. The dispersion is atrocious and the lack of damage on DDs disappointing.

• Funny 1

Players
1,088 posts
20 minutes ago, Dampfboot said:

Used SAP exclusively. The dispersion is atrocious and the lack of damage on DDs disappointing.

Yep, given that AD's SAP does less overall damage than the AP, you're actually better off going after destroyers with AP overpens. Balans!

Go number three (Västerås):

*Ahem* Didn't go well, a loss and with no stars achieved to boot. Västy being about as disappointing as I'd imagined, no carrier to spot so I tried going out in front and the rest of the team chose to make themselves scarce, so predictably I got sunk pretty quick. After that everyone decided to continue the winning strategy of catching torps and/or skulking behind islands in the vicinity of (but not actually inside) the healing zones, except for one AD who took the novel approach of hiding from the enemy in a position he couldn't fire from and then running away when Izumo turned up, as such he was the only survivor.

Will try again when Västerås is off cooldown, I suppose...

Newport3a.png

Apologies to @Odo_Toothless for missing your message by the way, I wasn't about at the time. Thanks for the div invite though!

[OHRIP]
Players
1,196 posts
9,899 battles

Anshan: Was ok game, killed mostly enemy DDs, 5 stars, second place.

• Cool 2

Players
1,088 posts

Fourth go (/second Västerås):

Much better; 5* win despite another rather early end to my own 'modest' contribution.

Team wasn't really all that much more on point than last time, which just goes to show that sometimes it's the little things that make the difference. One advantage was that we had a carrier, who ended up second on the team, so I didn't feel the need to do any spotting (tried firing/torp-sniping from concealment instead, which worked when I 'inherited' a smokescreen from a dead Isokaze, less so when I inadvertently got into a broadside duel with a Nürnberg...) We had the Romeo (bot Baltimore) show up and even he survived by taking a route that put him through both heal zones. Commander Jenkins from Killer Whale should take note.

Honestly I really don't think that Västerås has what it takes to be a good Ops ship, it's just too fragile and being without smoke makes it too hard to hide if you get spotted and the bot hivemind singles you out for a whoopin'. Also, the un-upgraded turret traverse (mine is kinda torp-spec'd but the captain is only 8pt) is too slow for firing while manoeuvring, which needless to say makes shooting your way out of trouble a difficult proposition. Getting eight citadels was hilariously good fun though!

I suppose if I can pull myself together enough to attempt it, I might try a game in Good Ship Lollypop Weser (so I've covered every ship type), because a) I hate playing carriers; b) I like Furious better and she's my only other one at T6; and c) this is all about the masochism...

Newport4a.png

Newport4b.png

Newport4c.png

Players
1,088 posts

Fifth (and final!) with Weezy:

3* win, did ok (always a shame in the German carriers that so many torp hits and citadels translates into so little damage), but I'll leave any further comments to my glamorous assistant guest star @Odo_Toothless. Cheers mate!

...And with that, I'm done with Newport Week. Thankyou-goodnight folks :cap_like:

Newport5a.png

Newport5b.png

Newport5c.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
534 posts
6,955 battles

I actually played the mission a few times the past days while I downloaded another game on Steam, lol. Some doubles on T6 premiums I had and doubles for the grind on Farragut and Västeras.

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Modder
2,318 posts
14,108 battles

Thanks for the advice, just tried it out and it is now playable. Nice! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this