Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JohnMac79

Marceau, yoshino or salem?

Which ship would you choose?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following would you choose to get?

• Yoshino
    • Marceau
    • Salem
  2. 2. Which RB ship would you also choose?

• Ohio
    • Slava

21 comments in this topic

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles

Got enough coal to get the yoshino but im struggling to make a decision between these 3 ships.

Anyone any advice? I enjoy playing all ship classes other than CV, i just feel unclean in carriers.

Do i just grab lutjens instead? 

Oh and seeing as im asking, i almost have enough to get slava or ohio too (not interested in shikishima), any thoughts on which of these is the better overall choice?

What would you choose and why?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles

Can't really comment on the Slava and Ohio, not having any RB ships, but voted for Ohio because Slava is a sniper through and through, even before dead eye. <.<

As for the other three choices, I had to give the nod to the  Marceau. I have all three, and like all three in fact, but the Marceau is easily the most fun of the three in my opinion so she gets the vote.

• Cool 1

Players
2,797 posts
33,740 battles

Have Marceau and Yoshino. Don't have Salem but it's a super heal DM so i know how it plays.

Getting any of these ships depend on the taste.

-If you are a cruiser player, you have 2 options, if DD player, 1.

-If you are an overall meaning general player and looking for thrill-fun, then definitely Marceau.

-Yoshino is as boring as Minnesota. For some, spamming HE from J line, 20km may be fun but not for me.

Some people like Yoshino because an enemy ship can accidentally catch one of your 20KM torps, or you can farm from distance safely as long as you don't sail broadside which requires zero skill.

-Salem can be real thrilling and scary if you don't know how to handle those heals at correct max distances but once you learn i assume it is a fun ship as well.

-Marceau has, in today's WoWs whatever it means, decent AA with def.AA consumable. Worse than Halland, but similar to Smaland AA. But the ship is just fun to play. High speed cruise, stealth torps, fast reloading guns totally unlike Kleber (although Kleber has rb).

Regarding Ohio and Slava, I voted for Ohio due being tankier, having secondaries, hard hitting guns, etc. You can approach with Ohio and withstand certain amount of incoming fire. You can only approach with Slava when there is one or no ship in the vicinity because it can't tank anything. It does poor damage to bow in or angled BBs but if they show broadside, then you can slap them really hard with Slava, which is the only gimmick it has. In return, it will just absorb damage like a sponge and sink quite fast as it has trash armor for a tier 10 BB. So, looking for openings and broadsides all game long and playing from distance is not my thing, also that's why I voted for Ohio.

• Cool 2

[H-O-E]
Players
344 posts
24,846 battles

I have all of them, my order  of preference  will be:

-Ohio (tanky, 457's, good accuracy, secondaries),

-Salem (very good for farming credits/missions in Coop: 150-200k per 5 minute game with premium account, also very good cruiser for randoms/competitive but get overmatch and even the super heal dosnt help much) 

-Marceau (fun to play ) 

-Yoshino( relatively fun to play if u like long range HE spam, the HP pool is deceiving, u eat citadels from everywhere, also careful with the 20 km meme torps, most of the time  they hit your own team)

-Slava ( boring AF)

Also in my decision of witch of these ships to pick, will be the ability to use a 21 captain ( or highest u have) to farm elite captain exp.

• Cool 1

Players
2,244 posts
9,149 battles

I've Marceau and Yoshino and will get Ohio this week. I've opnions over the other options, as well.

Marceau: fun ship, you can play it aggressively. I play it as a DD hunter. Torps are situational and more of a yolo only option, as they are quite easy to evade. AA is not so strong as Halland or Smaland, but combined with your speed, it's good enough to mess with CVs. I played it quite a lot, but I switched to Smaland which is more universal.

Yoshino: Solid ship, if you like Japanese kiting cruisers, like Myoko and Atago. I found the armor to be tanky enough for a kiting cruiser, the guns are great, but it could use some reload buffs. The torps are slow and situational, and may or may not hit the red team and likely to cross paths with your teammates. I like to play it, but it's random only, not competitive at all.

Salem: Island hugger. I could get her now, but will rather pick up Marco Polo this week.

Marco Polo: Tanky Italian BB with good guns. Its armor is akin to Russian BBs, so don't show your broadside. I think she is more nimble than the Russian BBs. If you like Roma, you will like her.

Ohio: American style brawler/generalist BB. Top WR among T10 BBs, along with Bourgogne. Should be fun/solid ship.

Slava: Boring Russian OP-ish sniper. Get it if you like to AP snipe with Thunderer.

Summary: I'd (actually did) get Marceau and Ohio first. Or maybe Marco Polo, if you're more into BBs.

• Cool 1

Players
2,156 posts
13,078 battles
  • Yoshino is … well, there are many better cruiser options in the game
  • Salem is a worse Des Moines which you can get for free. Radar is much worse, the heal i overrated because you can not heal nearly as much back as you wish or the "superheal" make you believe. No legendary upgrade force you to play it old style DM, which is island hugger. With CVs in the game you can not island hug or you are dead in no time.
  • Marceau is mega fun, extremely strong ship but not easy (read hard) to play for several reasons. Shell arks are really bad (doesn't bother me as a US DD main), you have no smoke and no heal, so you rely solely on your ship speed, dodging shells and french saturation - not everyone like this (i used to hate open water gunboats too with RU DDs, but get used to it with the French DDs). Arguably the 2nd best DD at TX after Smaland. It's also a very nice commander trainer / commander XP farmer, because you hunt, fight and kill a lot of enemy DDs.

I don't have Slava or Ohio, but from many streamer (usually unicums) it seems that Slava is not a good ship. It's a one-trick pony, long range broadside sniper. As soon as targets angle or get into medium to close range, the Slava deals no damage and is just an XP pinata. Ohio seem to be a very well rounded ship that can handle any situation and has improved heal.

m2pc (my two pleb cents :Smile_coin:)

• Cool 1

Players
2,335 posts
20,591 battles

I have Yoshino and Salem out of those 2 I would say I prefer the Yoshino just because she is different, as I already have a Des Moines and Salam is really just a poor version of the DM. However remember Yoshino requires good torp discipline.

On the Ohio/ Slava side of things I only have Ohio and I really love her can be devastating at range but is able to take a decent amount of damage when angled and used to push a flank. 

I found the following videos by Yuro helpful when I made my choice but remember they predate the captain skill rework. 

• Cool 1

Community Contributor
1,343 posts
17,797 battles
Il y a 18 minutes, Ocsimano18 a dit :

Marco Polo: Tanky Italian BB with good guns. Its armor is akin to Russian BBs, so don't show your broadside. I think she is more nimble than the Russian BBs. If you like Roma, you will like her

For me  it's just the worst TIX BB.

Tanky in theorie but ig you take some heavy dmg while angle like Lepanto.

About the guns , yeah good pen but bad dispersion (at least we have DE ) , worst DPM.

Yeah more nimble than soyuz but i prefer Soyuz every day (and it's clearly not the best TIX BB... ).

Atm with DE roma is envoyable, but even with DE i dont like Marco polo.

About the coal ships

Marceau is really fun and efficient but not easy to play.

Salem is a Dm with a super heal but less radar range and no leg module.

Yoshino... Hum a 20km he spammer.

Ohio is just the most versatile BB ig.

It's a really solid BB in any situation.

• Cool 1

Players
839 posts
8,044 battles
3 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Lütjens

Yea... I have the coal, but don't care for any ships. I'll wait til Marco Polo is out and read some reviews, but I'm thinking of just getting Cunningham and putting him on Daring, or Lütjens for Hindenburg or something.

• Cool 1

[CATCH]
Players
352 posts
8,893 battles

Ohio is good and competitive, Marceau is pretty damn good and fun to play.

Yoshino is trash, Slava is for wannabe snipers, Salem is ok but not really worth it if you already have a Des Moines.

• Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,953 posts
15,461 battles

Of the coal ships (I have all three, but suck in at least two, probably all of them), Salem is probably the most 'useful', due to radar and powerful heal - assuming you know how to avoid non-healable damage. She's also 'cosplay Graf Spee', so there's that. Really, it comes down to the sort of ship you gel best with, as they're all very distinct. Marceau, for instance, is glorious fun but very hard to do well with unless you're a meister with the garlic-flavoured 'drive it like you stole it' playstyle (I'm not).

I don't have either of the RB ships mentioned, but I would pick Ohio - always take the more manly option; you know it makes sense!

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles

Slightly off topic, but I hate Yoshino.
For some reason that boat attracts potatoes to the same extent that Tirpitz does, and 9/10 times a Yoshino on my team is bad news (for us).
Had one the other day in ranked that torped me for 80% while I was contesting the cap in my DD, who then went on to blame me for not "reading chat" (I was busy shooting up a Harugumo while dodging a Moskva).
The guy then went back to A5(!) to launch 20km torps at the cap for the rest of the game (at full health of course), while I was sunk shortly afterwards as the enemy team just rushed my Yoshino torp-crippled boat with no support.
We lost that game, purely thanks to the Yoshino.

TL;DR:
Please don't be the average Yoshino player if you do get it:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
839 posts
8,044 battles
1 hour ago, Hirohito said:

For some reason that boat attracts potatoes to the same extent that Tirpitz does, and 9/10 times a Yoshino on my team is bad news (for us).
Had one the other day in ranked that torped me for 80% while I was contesting the cap in my DD, who then went on to blame me for not "reading chat" (I was busy shooting up a Harugumo while dodging a Moskva).
The guy then went back to A5(!) to launch 20km torps at the cap for the rest of the game (at full health of course), while I was sunk shortly afterwards as the enemy team just rushed my Yoshino torp-crippled boat with no support.

TL;DR:

But did the Yoshino keep its star? That's all that counts.

[CATCH]
Players
352 posts
8,893 battles
2 hours ago, Hirohito said:

TL;DR:

lol I came to your exact same conclusion about Yoshino players. No idea why it's the potato ship du jour.

• Angry 1

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
1 minute ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

But did the Yoshino keep its star? That's all that counts.

Most certainly not, the only ting he ever hit with those torps of his was me.
The idiot even kept launching torps at the cap when most of the enemy left for the other side of the map to shore up A/B caps, and didn't dare shoot his guns much either in fear of getting spotted... at A5 (incidentally, about 20kms away from the C cap, his torp max range).
He also spent a majority of the game cussing me for not reading chat and being a bad player (the nerve on that guy...), so that was even less time he spent doing useful stuff.

• Cool 1

Players
839 posts
8,044 battles
25 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

Most certainly not, the only ting he ever hit with those torps of his was me.
The idiot even kept launching torps at the cap when most of the enemy left for the other side of the map to shore up A/B caps, and didn't dare shoot his guns much either in fear of getting spotted... at A5 (incidentally, about 20kms away from the C cap, his torp max range).
He also spent a majority of the game cussing me for not reading chat and being a bad player (the nerve on that guy...), so that was even less time he spent doing useful stuff.

Mission accomplished, WG. I bet he has a couple of expensive premiums too. Not that I'm a great player, mind you, but still.

Players
2,244 posts
9,149 battles
10 hours ago, Malim0o said:

For me  it's just the worst TIX BB.

Tanky in theorie but ig you take some heavy dmg while angle like Lepanto.

About the guns , yeah good pen but bad dispersion (at least we have DE ) , worst DPM.

Yeah more nimble than soyuz but i prefer Soyuz every day (and it's clearly not the best TIX BB... ).

Atm with DE roma is envoyable, but even with DE i dont like Marco polo.

I’m yet to see it tomorrow. Soyuz was bow in parking style, I prefer to be on the move. Did you use SAP or AP? With Caracciolo, I preferred to play AP only.

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles

Thanks for the feedback everyone, i decided to go for the Marceau and so far im enjoying it. :cap_like:

I was originally tempted by the Slava but i decided to go for Ohio instead.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this