Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hurricane_tb

Is WG's strategy flawed, and actually hurting them?

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
53 posts
11,300 battles

So one day it crossed my mind that I'd buy the T8 DD Orkan, as a DD with radar sounds quite interesting for me. Buuuut then I remembered how stupidly imbalanced and ridicolous CVs are, so I quickly dropped the idea. Even the description of "strong AA" is just a laughable joke, when a T8 cv striked me in my Halland, or when a Midway bombed me for 9,3k and started a double fire (through defensive AA), again, in my Halland, even when I turned my AA on only when the bombers were less than 3km away.

 

But it got me thinking. 

 

Let's assume only for simplicity, that 10% of the players are playing CVs actively (e.g. 1 out of 12, but let's round it up). Yes, those players are spending on premiums, grinds, etc., so making money for WG.

But how many players are giving up either spending money, or even the game completely out from the 90%?

 

I'm not an economist by occupation (I'm a software engineer) but forcing this ridicolous mess on the throat of the playerbase alienates a lot of people, a lot of potential spenders. And they represent the vast majority of the consumers, as CVs share only a fraction of the potential ships, hence the potential of things that one can spend money on. I know that the mighty spreadsheet is always right, so maybe this strategy brings more money for WG, I don't know, but possible.

 

But one thing is for sure: they lost a customer, and I'm pretty sure many-many others as long as they won't fix this class and their interaction to the game.

 

Ohhh, also, another thing, as there was a pop-up in-game not long ago asking for how likely would I recommend the game to others. Couple years ago I honestly could have recommended the game (and actually did to a few colleagues), but now? How could I? They start grinding from bottom - doesn't even matter what class - and there is a 2 CV game. Yeah, will be fun for them. Or what do I tell them, that just endure and at higher tiers it will be better and it worths it? Yeeeeah, riiiiiight. *FDR wants to know your location*

Again, a lot of potential customers lost.

 

For me it feels that this whole stubborness from WG actually backfiring for them, but again, what do I know.

 

Thoughts?

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,667 posts
18,027 battles

I stopped spending money in 2017. Hasn't stopped me from getting tons of new premiums.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,330 posts
7,874 battles
11 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

I stopped spending money in 2017. Hasn't stopped me from getting tons of new premiums.

 

Same here, I don't spend money in this game for more than 2 years now, just play a bit of coop and operations just to collect the premiums I find pretty for my collection.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,666 posts
22,495 battles
19 minutes ago, Hurricane_tb said:

For me it feels that this whole stubborness from WG actually backfiring for them, but again, what do I know.

 

As long as the number of new cashcows players is higher than the loss of players who already spent a more or lesser large amount of money, WG will be have enough money for vodka and females of negotiable virtue.

In fact, a steady number of "replacement players" seems to be the main goal for WG, as - see above - veteran players usually don't spend a lot of money anymore. They are only needed as the examples for the new players what one can achieve by spending enough money - for premium account, premium ships, flags, whatevers - even no amount of money can make a Unicorn out of a potato... but the potatos don't know or at least don't believe that.. so WG will get thrown money at them, until the potatoes finally notice that spending money doesn't has the wanted effect and leave.. and get replaced by the next batch of potatoes...

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,602 posts
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

 

As long as the number of new cashcows players is higher than the loss of players who already spent a more or lesser large amount of money, WG will be have enough money for vodka and females of negotiable virtue.

In fact, a steady number of "replacement players" seems to be the main goal for WG, as - see above - veteran players usually don't spend a lot of money anymore. They are only needed as the examples for the new players what one can achieve by spending enough money - for premium account, premium ships, flags, whatevers - even no amount of money can make a Unicorn out of a potato... but the potatos don't know or at least don't believe that.. so WG will get thrown money at them, until the potatoes finally notice that spending money doesn't has the wanted effect and leave.. and get replaced by the next batch of potatoes...

 

Oh, is it a bit like a pyramid scheme then? :Smile_glasses:

 

Are WG making a mistake? It all depends on what the Holy Spreadsheet of Cyprus has to say.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,308 posts
20,574 battles

I also stopped spending money on the game for about 2 years now. The thing is it doesn’t seem to hurt WG in the slightest, there are so many people willing to buy early access crates or various loot boxes but hey each to their own.. I guess. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,933 posts
15,694 battles
1 hour ago, Hurricane_tb said:

Thoughts?

Look at the amount of premiums in the matches. People spend loads of money.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,120 posts
22,898 battles

Comrade, WG can do no wrong and makes no mistakes. It's the players that are always wrong.End of discussion.

 

On a serious note. You are talking to the most dedicated and often longest playing people here, people WG forgot. The potato and the noob will gobble up whatever bull droppings WG produces, until they get bored and move on.

When the cashflow dries up, WG will just turn off the servers. They don't care about any real long term viability of the game, as WG is a billion dollar company working only for the profit of the Kislyi family. Even if they closed now they would have enough cash.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,477 posts
17,237 battles
59 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

 

Oh, is it a bit like a pyramid scheme then? :Smile_glasses:

 

Are WG making a mistake? It all depends on what the Holy Spreadsheet of Cyprus has to say. 

Never mind the "Holy Spreadsheet of Cyprus"! What WG needs is a dose of the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch!

 

 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LUZ1]
Players
1,387 posts
14,475 battles

I think you overestimate the intelligence and foresight of companies riding a wave.

WG is cashing in on a couple of good games like there is no tomorrow. If you are earning millions and due to Corona you can do just about anything you like and your numbers still stay up what do you do? To quote a rather annoying potus: they can get away with high street murder. Why would they even try harder when the wodka and caviar flows? You want a better game, they aren't too much bothered. :cat_bubble:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,130 posts
19,262 battles
Vor 8 Stunden, Deckeru_Maiku sagte:

 

...WG will be have enough money for vodka and females of negotiable virtue.

Shouldn't it read like this?

WG will be [sic!] have enough money for bribery to obtain EU passports.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RODS]
Players
1,812 posts
7,821 battles
12 hours ago, Hurricane_tb said:

Thoughts?

Yes, I have certainly avoided DD:s since the CV rework "happened"

Have spent a ton of money on the game and still spend a lot

No I would never buy a high tier DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
53 posts
11,300 battles

Yeah, I guess you are all right my dudes.

 

For me it still feels weird tho, that so desperately trying to maintain the popularity of one single class and destroying the game in the process, just to squeeze out as much as they can out from it - which is understandable -, but losing a lot of money becauseof alienating a fair number of people. It's like raising money on one hand and losing on the other. 

 

But yeah, since retention rate is none of their concern, it's entirely possible that the newcomers' spendings override the possible spendings of regular players in the long run.

 

*Sigh*, but I like this game :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,194 posts
12,822 battles
12 hours ago, Hurricane_tb said:

So one day it crossed my mind that I'd buy the T8 DD Orkan, as a DD with radar sounds quite interesting for me. Buuuut then I remembered how stupidly imbalanced and ridicolous CVs are, so I quickly dropped the idea. Even the description of "strong AA" is just a laughable joke, when a T8 cv striked me in my Halland, or when a Midway bombed me for 9,3k and started a double fire (through defensive AA), again, in my Halland, even when I turned my AA on only when the bombers were less than 3km away.

 

But it got me thinking. 

 

Let's assume only for simplicity, that 10% of the players are playing CVs actively (e.g. 1 out of 12, but let's round it up). Yes, those players are spending on premiums, grinds, etc., so making money for WG.

But how many players are giving up either spending money, or even the game completely out from the 90%?

 

I'm not an economist by occupation (I'm a software engineer) but forcing this ridicolous mess on the throat of the playerbase alienates a lot of people, a lot of potential spenders. And they represent the vast majority of the consumers, as CVs share only a fraction of the potential ships, hence the potential of things that one can spend money on. I know that the mighty spreadsheet is always right, so maybe this strategy brings more money for WG, I don't know, but possible.

 

But one thing is for sure: they lost a customer, and I'm pretty sure many-many others as long as they won't fix this class and their interaction to the game.

 

Ohhh, also, another thing, as there was a pop-up in-game not long ago asking for how likely would I recommend the game to others. Couple years ago I honestly could have recommended the game (and actually did to a few colleagues), but now? How could I? They start grinding from bottom - doesn't even matter what class - and there is a 2 CV game. Yeah, will be fun for them. Or what do I tell them, that just endure and at higher tiers it will be better and it worths it? Yeeeeah, riiiiiight. *FDR wants to know your location*

Again, a lot of potential customers lost.

 

For me it feels that this whole stubborness from WG actually backfiring for them, but again, what do I know.

 

Thoughts?

Can't really argue with that. I feel mostly the same that if WG would take CVs out of the game they would probably have a ton of more players investing money into it, but I don't have their spreadsheets.  

 

12 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

I stopped spending money in 2017. Hasn't stopped me from getting tons of new premiums.

Same here. Bought a lot of Premiums and premium time first 2 years but not a dime since 2017. Only used currency and resources I gotten thru campaigns and other events. And since then, I gotten Georgia, Mass, Alaska, Somers, Jean Bart and probably a ton more I can't remember right now, for free for in game currency.

 

 

10 hours ago, lovelacebeer said:

I also stopped spending money on the game for about 2 years now. The thing is it doesn’t seem to hurt WG in the slightest, there are so many people willing to buy early access crates or various loot boxes but hey each to their own.. I guess. 

 

This! 

 

10 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Look at the amount of premiums in the matches. People spend loads of money.

 

Im not sure that is true. As I stated above, I gotten a boat load of T 9-10 Premiums just by playing the game. But I know there is also a lot of suckers fooled by WG to spend real money on RNG lottery boxes to get Makarovs and buying chances to get tech tree ships in advance like Lepanto right now instead of just waiting a couple of weeks. So of course WG makes some money but I think its far far from what they could make.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,933 posts
15,694 battles
8 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Im not sure that is true. As I stated above, I gotten a boat load of T 9-10 Premiums just by playing the game. But I know there is also a lot of suckers fooled by WG to spend real money on RNG lottery boxes to get Makarovs and buying chances to get tech tree ships in advance like Lepanto right now instead of just waiting a couple of weeks. So of course WG makes some money but I think its far far from what they could make.

Feel free to look at the ships you cannot get for free.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POP]
Beta Tester
235 posts
9,799 battles

Old customers like me are mostly "stale" customers, spending at most only on premium time. And quite frankly why should they spend on anything else? They probably have dozens of premiums of every nation, tier and type, and getting new ones for free is actually laughably easy if you've played enough. Port slots and captain slots have been handed out so liberally that I got dozens of the former, and while I don't have any empty captain slots, I have plenty of deadbeat captain's to dismiss. Economy signals are also handed out at ridiculous rate and combat signals can be bought with silver. Only useful thing a veteran cannot get free is premium time.

 

So Wargaming targets the player that don't have everything yet and doesn't give a rat's a**e if veterans quit the game and stop spending. It's not premium time sales that keeps their balance on the green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,194 posts
12,822 battles
10 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Feel free to look at the ships you cannot get for free.

So what should I look for exactly? Most ships you can get for free by playing the game and gaining coal, steele, credits, research bureau points, free XP etc etc etc. You even gain a lot of doubloons just by finishing the different tasks and events and that paired with ship coupons you can buy most ships in the armory or Premium shop. So, what am I looking at here?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,933 posts
15,694 battles
6 minutes ago, MixuS said:

So Wargaming targets the player that don't have everything yet and doesn't give a rat's a**e if veterans quit the game and stop spending. It's not premium time sales that keeps their balance on the green.

But it keeps the average lifetime spending per player up and that is what they are looking for. It also gives them cashflow over time.

There is a reason we have events focused on veteran players (Dockyard, WoWs anniversary, WG anniversary, Snowflakes).

1 minute ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

So what should I look for exactly? Most ships you can get for free by playing the game and gaining coal, steele, credits, research bureau points, free XP etc etc etc. You even gain a lot of doubloons just by finishing the different tasks and events and that paired with ship coupons you can buy most ships in the armory or Premium shop. So, what am I looking at here?

ARP Yamatos, Dockyard ships after two weeks, Lepantos, Tier VIII+ premiums only availiable for money and Dubloons...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,194 posts
12,822 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

ARP Yamatos, Dockyard ships after two weeks, Lepantos, Tier VIII+ premiums only availiable for money and Dubloons...

ARP Yamatos and Dockyard yes. But last statement is just not correct. Most of T 8+ Premiums (as I stated above) you can get for free with ingame currency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
53 posts
11,300 battles
22 minutes ago, MixuS said:

Old customers like me are mostly "stale" customers, spending at most only on premium time. And quite frankly why should they spend on anything else? They probably have dozens of premiums of every nation, tier and type, and getting new ones for free is actually laughably easy if you've played enough. Port slots and captain slots have been handed out so liberally that I got dozens of the former, and while I don't have any empty captain slots, I have plenty of deadbeat captain's to dismiss. Economy signals are also handed out at ridiculous rate and combat signals can be bought with silver. Only useful thing a veteran cannot get free is premium time.

 

So Wargaming targets the player that don't have everything yet and doesn't give a rat's a**e if veterans quit the game and stop spending. It's not premium time sales that keeps their balance on the green.

Yup, I agree with you perfectly.

 

But the post has the emphasis on the  potential  monetary loss of WG because their stubborness to force the sales of only one segment of their 'goods', while because of this same stubborness they lose a lot of customers because their good is often incredibly frustrating and unenjoyable.

 

And it's not like they need to do much. The rework is done, no backing now after how much money they sank into it. But I think a common ground could be found somehow where CVs exist, but there are counters for them and they don't ruin the game as blatantly and outrageously as now. I refuse to play CVs completely since the rework as I don't want to ruin the game for others and knowing how much I personally hate them, but if they would be balanced I'm pretty sure I'd put more effort into them (which may or may not implies monetary spending, as I can't grind as much as I could years ago). Also, veteran players could recommend the game and even more people would hop on board. I doubt there is any veteran player who could recommend the game in it's current state to any beginner right now.

 

My point is, with not too much effort they could create a better game which could also lead to better earnings... potentially.

 

But again, what do I know. I'm just probably being incredibly naive here...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,933 posts
15,694 battles
57 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

ARP Yamatos and Dockyard yes. But last statement is just not correct. Most of T 8+ Premiums (as I stated above) you can get for free with ingame currency.

That is why you look at the ones you get ONLY with money and Dubloons...

Translation: no coal, no steel, no Free XP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,194 posts
12,822 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is why you look at the ones you get ONLY with money and Dubloons...

Translation: no coal, no steel, no Free XP

Yes, but my point was that your first claim "Look at the amount of premiums in the matches. People spend loads of money." doesn't really tell the true story when it's just ARP Yamatos and Dock ships out of hundreds of Premiums that only require real money.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
30,933 posts
15,694 battles
1 minute ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Yes, but my point was that your first claim "Look at the amount of premiums in the matches. People spend loads of money." doesn't really tell the true story when it's just ARP Yamatos and Dock ships out of hundreds of Premiums that only require real money.

There are enough of other premiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,666 posts
22,495 battles
27 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

..........ok then ......

Don't try to discuss with Pete... just.. don't... ^v^

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×