Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gebbly

Tips for Free2Play

15 comments in this topic

[FMJ]
Players
178 posts

I just thought we could gather a few tips here for people that would like to try the game out completely free to play. I'll start with a few that I have learnt (some very recently thanks to others on the forum). Please feel free to add any other useful tips.

1. Free Credits.

As well as credit rewards for each battle there is a group of daily combat missions. These are very easy to do and involve just getting a few XP in battles. The rewards range from flags, commander XP, coal and importantly if you complete the 5th of the 6 daily missions you get 50,000 credits. So playing around 10 battles in a day would get you a bonus 50,000 credits each day.

2. Free Ship Slots

This was a biggy for me. Your dock has a limited number of ship slots. You can only have as many ships as you have ship slots. It is possible to buy slots using doubloons but...Each month there is a group of combat missions. They all say "Complete X number of daily combat missions". This group of combat missions are available all month and you can complete them by completing the daily combat missions mentioned above. When you complete 20 daily combat missions you will receive a free ship slot. completing 45 daily combat missions rewards you with a further free slot. So for just playing the game you can gain 2 free ship slots every month.

3. Free Premium Ships

Throughout the year there will be "events" at times like Christmas, Chinese New Year, St Patricks day, sometimes when Wargaming release a new ship line or other big release and a bunch of others too. During these events it is common for there to be a collection of combat missions that can be completed with various rewards. The missions are usually to play battles and achieve certain goals like set a certain number of ship fires or get a certain number of capture flags. Sometimes rewards for completing these missions will be a premium ship. The premium ship may also come with a commander with a bunch of skill points and also a permanent camouflage.

4. Free Permanent Camouflages

During some of the "events" mentioned above some of the rewards may be a free permanent camouflage. Also, sometimes the rewards are a standard tech tree ship with a permanent camouflage and if you already have the ship you will get a Credit equivalent for the ship and you will still get the permanent camouflage to then put on a ship of your choice. This means you could even try and get the ship that would be the reward by spending credits so that when you then get the same ship as a reward you can assign the permanent camouflage to another ship.

• Cool 6

[HANDS]
Players
319 posts
24,292 battles

There is no real free to play, u pay with your time :).  

Tips: - dont hurry  up in tiers and dont grow too many lines at once, two lines are enough.

-  farm missions, directives, campaigns.

- watch youtube  videos how to play good. A good game= good xp and credits.

- gather all  free dobloons u can get and hold them  till u make 12.000. Then for X-mass when is 50% 1 year premium  discount, buy it. Dont waste them on a premium ship. With premium account will be like ALL ships are premium. Also dont waste dobloons on perma camos ( i learn  it the hard way). U will get bored of that ship or maybe the ship will be nerfed.

• Cool 4

[CHEFT]
Players
12,400 posts
9,841 battles
2 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

gather all  free dobloons u can get and hold them  till u make 12.000. Then for X-mass when is 50% 1 year premium  discount, buy it.

Isnt the discount only for premium acc bought with money directly and not for doubloons?

[CAIN]
Players
4,926 posts
20,778 battles

Also to remember is, that campaigns, campaign missions and collections give free premium time.

THERISEOFCAP for instance, gives not only the captain and and flag, but also camos and signals for completing the sub collections.

You can time it right, that the premium time gets activated when needed.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
30,026 posts
15,424 battles
11 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

There is no real free to play, u pay with your time :). 

If that is paying for you, you should not play games...

• Bad 1

[HANDS]
Players
319 posts
24,292 battles
15 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Isnt the discount only for premium acc bought with money directly and not for doubloons?

No, is how i have premium account from over 1 year and still have some 300 days left

7 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

If that is paying for you, you should not play games...

Is not for me, but for other is.. we need paying players, and paying players need free to play  players  to play with, otherwise will  be only 1-2k players online :) 

• Bad 1

Players
750 posts
7,530 battles

I have 2 pieces for advice, as a 100% free-to-play player since 2019 (I think, or 18):

1. Do not pay one dime. Nothing. Zilch. Nix.

2. Do not give a shmit. You will NOT get cool premiums. Your progress will be slower. You will never have enough credits. You will not have time to complete missions and campaigns. The answer is, dare I repeat it, don't give a shbit. Play as long as it is fun, then walk away.

3. Win.

• Cool 3

Players
376 posts
12,013 battles

also get recruited from the recruitment station so you can get the warspite and other free stuff. Also join a discord with a code channel where codes are automatically shared ect. You can also get one day free prem from reading certain articles on wg's website.

• Cool 1

Players
92 posts
124 battles

Since the economic aspect is already mostly covered I will briefly touch on practicality.

The key to being a f2p player is setting your expectations from the get-go. Exp and credit costs increase drastically as you move up and eventually it will come to a point where it will be impractical both credits and xp wise to move up further which for most people will be tier 7 or 8. I think everyone should grind as many lines possible but not without reading a bit on game mechanics and the characteristics of these ship lines in the tier where you plan to stop grinding. Doing so will allow you to prioritize which lines to grind first as ship slots are initially scarce. 

Besides that just be patient. With clever combination of flags, camo and the occasional 1 day free premium you should accumulate enough coal and free xp over the course of time to get tier 7-10 premium ships. It might take a while to get used tier 9-10 in your freebie premiums but it should be doable if a bit awkward at first. 

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
19,911 battles

I would like to ad: join a clan.

There are enough clans out there that don't only accept "OMG super special players".

Once you're in a clan, you will get the clan bonusses (discounts on ships, extra coal, ...).

Players
1,060 posts

F2P for over a year here, currently have 87 ships in port of which 24 are premiums (haven't paid real beer tokens for any of them). Some tips off the top of my head:

• It's been said before, but hoover up any and all free doubloons going
  • A lot of event missions can be done in Co-op a lot quicker than in Random, which cuts down on time taken to unlock event ships
  • Unless you really need it for a mission grind, don't buy extra Premium time: all it does is save some effort, you can get the same rewards (admittedly over a longer period) without
  • When you receive a container that drops guaranteed Premium time, save it if you can for when those necessities crop up
  • When picking up collection containers (usually for coal), find the collections that can be set to provide random drops in daily reward crates so you can save the coal for other things
  • Try and complete Early Access event missions even if you don't want the ships: you can sell the excess commanders for a percentage of their CXP now and the ships will at least give you an extra port slot if you don't want to keep them
  • Lastly, get an alt. account using your own primary account as the recruiter: as mentioned above it'll give the alt. access to a Diana Lima and a Warspite as well as numerous miscellaneous extras, and all games you play on the alt. give Recruiter Points to the original account which can buy recruitment crates with various stuff in (including a small selection of premiums if you can get past the long odds)
  • Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Join a clan with all the upgrades, makes the grind for xp and credits 15% easier.
Start with a small fleet of good tech tree ships, I recommend start with one DD one cruiser and one BB at every tier.

Don't listen to pay to win, game isn't pay to win, there's powerful premium ships but there's powerful tech tree ships too.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,745 posts
46,328 battles

Even though many here are players extremely negative to WG and say do not pay anything, I would advice not being perhaps that stubborn. Limited outlays now and then will make easier and more fun.

Buy small amounts of premium time when you know you have plenty of time to play, and use the time to gather credits in a (free obtained premium). Buy port slots when you are new to the game when they are on 50%.

After all if you like the game you may want stuff also and as have been pointed out, over a certain tier cost structure is difficult. Some campaigns are necessary to have high tier ships in (T8+). 

You do not have to whale like me, I will not encourage you at all to do that but a willingness to pay small amounts now and then can make it a lot easier and rewarding.

I think of it as entertainment - you are the decider what to spend, I respect those non spenders - however you decide over your money and time and experience of the game. 

Many are critical over WGs lootboxes - fine do not buy any of these, do not buy any containers, but it can pay off to buy 1 container for a start of a collection that gives something in return, when the rest of the collection can be had for free.

make informed decisions - do not take either whiners or fans words as gospel

[SERBS]
Players
555 posts

AS A PERMANENT F2P PLAYER  from the 1st day in this game and good at it i can say few things.

TIP #1

DONT PLAY THIS GAME !

youre too late, and have to pay massively to be competitive , or youll be food all the time at the low/ bottom of the chain.....

TIP #2

WAIT FOR A BRAND NEW GAME !

watch news and datum for games type you like to play ,from good publisher , and start the day when the game goes open beta , thats how i did in wows in 2015, and i did good , have many ships , prems, researched all the lines of all nations, etc. all for free... i didnt want to play WOT because i found it few years late , and waited for wows.

TIP #3

or just dont care , play untill it gets booring , with 40% win rate , and move on.

Sign in to follow this