You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Updated Visual Effects Review

52 comments in this topic

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
9 posts

All these visual effects are nice, but what about improving performance, not a lot of us can afford the latest spec machines, especially in the current covid climate, yet every graphical update slows things down, soon my settings will have to be set so low, I'll be steering a block around, also a number are causing glitches, I was hit by a literally invisible single torpedo, no trail etc, even though the torpedo's had passed me by ??

20210310_155727_PGSD108-Z-23_52_Britain.wowsreplay

• Cool 2

[WG]
WG Staff
6,250 posts
4,495 battles
Před 20 minutami Kenny_Gee řekl/a:

All these visual effects are nice, but what about improving performance, not a lot of us can afford the latest spec machines, especially in the current covid climate, yet every graphical update slows things down, soon my settings will have to be set so low, I'll be steering a block around, also a number are causing glitches, I was hit by a literally invisible single torpedo, no trail etc, even though the torpedo's had passed me by ??

Wow, that is strange. I played that replay several times and one of those torpedoes that went around hit you, even though the torpedo was already kilometer away.

Please, report this as a Bug Report to Customer Support. Thank you

[R3B3L]
Players
1,328 posts
32,282 battles

I´ve seen people ask for "nicer explosions" etc, nice to see WG worked on this.

Some feedback gets taken seriously then :cap_like:

I will try my luck and ask here again to look into the survivability of the torpedo armament. If I play four matches with cruisers and destroyers and in three of them I lose all TTs within minutes - there´s something way off. It happens so often, I stopped taking screenshots etc but it really gets discouraging.

867388569_Alltorpedotubesdestroyed3.jpg.60b390e4af1f1e2ca09c043414dbcd7c.jpg1611230670_Alltorpedotubesdestroyed2.jpg.02bb101b9f59aaa2dc63ec81e3f59541.jpg

I use module prevention modules and captain perks, I am also aware that some high-tier modules raise the chance to get the TTs knocked out and avoid them. For me survivability comes first, moar dakka second. And still - 5 mins into game, first rocket strike - TT incap; second hit - TT destroyed. Halp!

• Cool 2

Players
48 posts
14,808 battles
Vor 17 Minuten, VIadoCro sagte:

I will try my luck and ask here again to look into the survivability of the torpedo armament. If I play four matches with cruisers and destroyers and in three of them I lose all TTs within minutes - there´s something way off. It happens so often, I stopped taking screenshots etc but it really gets discouraging.

867388569_Alltorpedotubesdestroyed3.jpg.60b390e4af1f1e2ca09c043414dbcd7c.jpg1611230670_Alltorpedotubesdestroyed2.jpg.02bb101b9f59aaa2dc63ec81e3f59541.jpg

I use module prevention modules and captain perks, I am also aware that some high-tier modules raise the chance to get the TTs knocked out and avoid them. For me survivability comes first, moar dakka second. And still - 5 mins into game, first rocket strike - TT incap; second hit - TT destroyed. Halp!

Well first off all: Maybe that's not the right threat for this topic, but anyway: Torpedo tubes don't have such a big health bar as turrets for example. That's why they will get destroyed faster than you turrets. Especially HE can damage/destroy them quite fast. Even if shells don't hit your ship but land quite close to torpedo tubes, there's still the chance to damage/destroy them. To prevent that you can use multiple skills and upgrades: Preventive Maintenance, Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 or Main Armaments Modification 1 which reduce the risk of your torpedo tubes becoming uneffective. The easiest solution to lower this problem is to dodge shells ;)

[WG]
WG Staff
6,250 posts
4,495 battles
Před 21 minutami VIadoCro řekl/a:

This:

Před 6 minutami WgPlsNerfRangeModBBs řekl/a:

Well first off all: Maybe that's not the right threat for this topic, but anyway: Torpedo tubes don't have such a big health bar as turrets for example. That's why they will get destroyed faster than you turrets. Especially HE can damage/destroy them quite fast. Even if shells don't hit your ship but land quite close to torpedo tubes, there's still the chance to damage/destroy them. To prevent that you can use multiple skills and upgrades: Preventive Maintenance, Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 or Main Armaments Modification 1 which reduce the risk of your torpedo tubes becoming uneffective. The easiest solution to lower this problem is to dodge shells ;)

Honestly, if I can on those ships where I can expect torpedoes being launched to me (close-quarters combat), I am always trying to hit those torpedo tubes, if possible as i know, I am also having them damaged to destroyed pretty often. But if you are having all those tubes being destoyed recently in plenty games, you are probably just very unlucky with that.

Beta Tester
310 posts
1 hour ago, Kenny_Gee said:

Dude , no offence - I could run this on my integrated intel iris plus chip at medium settings with 30 fps. 

this is a game that it easily playable on the entry level cards out there with more than decent fps. Also they said it will not affect performance.  What are you talking about?

[DK]
Players
21 posts
4,662 battles

What about the visual effect on your screen if you are on fire or flooded?! It still is super over scaled if you are a rich f*** with a super ultra wide monitor.

I have half the bottom of my screen displaying fire and flooding. Don't get me started on the Blue fire from "The Key" games..

• Bad 1

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
1,270 posts
25,886 battles

I have been running the "calm seas" mod from the official modpack and this has improved my fps, just tried a couple of battles on 1 vs 1 without it using the regular sea from the game and my fps went down by approximately 20! So, I just installed "calm seas" again.  Will this issue be addressed in the new upcoming patch? I'm not playing the game on full settings.

• Cool 2

[WG]
WG Staff
6,250 posts
4,495 battles
Před 15 minutami Mahejo řekl/a:

What about the visual effect on your screen if you are on fire or flooded?! It still is super over scaled if you are a rich f*** with a super ultra wide monitor.

I have half the bottom of my screen displaying fire and flooding. Don't get me started on the Blue fire from "The Key" games..

With which screen resolution are you playing?

Players
1,836 posts
8,995 battles
1 ora fa, YabbaCoe ha scritto:

Wow, that is strange. I played that replay several times and one of those torpedoes that went around hit you, even though the torpedo was already kilometer away.

Please, report this as a Bug Report to Customer Support. Thank you

will slow computers get slower when playing this game after the new updated graphics if you know?

even tought its not a problem for me, i've got a radeon hd 7850 2gb :p

[-WB-]
Players
172 posts
15,336 battles

Could use a bit more smoke when ships are burning. Looks a bit too muted from the screenshots.

Would also like to see better ship wakes and generally rougher sea conditions.

Would be nice to see ray tracing and dlss support added in.

[O-V]
Players
91 posts
8,536 battles

What concerns me most is that this company has moved on from that crap show that is the commanders rework ...without looking back ....2 patches past  the single biggest fail in WOWS history 

It just show how ignorant this company is  ....Forget Italian BBs .that are mediocre at best and more glamours explosions  go back and fix the worthless skills introduced over all classes of ship ..form your failed rework .....

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[TEPES]
Players
226 posts
4,911 battles

if we could get balance changes to the commander rework then this patch would be the best patch this game ever had in years

[DK]
Players
21 posts
4,662 battles
32 minutes ago, YabbaCoe said:

With which screen resolution are you playing?

3840x1080

[WG]
WG Staff
6,250 posts
4,495 battles
Před 58 minutami arquata2019 řekl/a:

will slow computers get slower when playing this game after the new updated graphics if you know?

even tought its not a problem for me, i've got a radeon hd 7850 2gb :p

Low-performance computers shouldn't loose playability with those changes. The game is still playable majority of PCs and laptops. Of course those low performance PCs won't enjoy all those graphical details, but it is also until now.

Před 26 minutami Mahejo řekl/a:

3840x1080

That is strange indeed. Can I ask you to try to make screenshot while you will be flooding or in fire?

There might be some issues with those ultra-wide resolutions and definitely it is not intended, that those effects covers half of the screen.

Modder
5,300 posts
24,097 battles

I only hope that those new effects will be easily moddable as before. In .dds files, not hidden somewhere in shaders. Last time after such improvement it took me "only" 3 months to find how to turn off black border in binocular view.

[DK]
Players
21 posts
4,662 battles
30 minutes ago, YabbaCoe said:

That is strange indeed. Can I ask you to try to make screenshot while you will be flooding or in fire?

There might be some issues with those ultra-wide resolutions and definitely it is not intended, that those effects covers half of the screen.

image.thumb.png.fb8c1bfb079501ac8a5a82dd202fbc79.png

I would also like to add that the anchors for the chat and map should be movable so that when using super ultra wide screen we can still have the UI within a reasonable view.

• Funny 2

Players
60 posts
8,779 battles

I know it's too much to include all the reworked effects in this article but I really hope you reworked sinking animations as well and added different animations for destruction. Because those two needed reworking the most. For example it's weird to ram the ship and the explosion is the same as if it was destroyed by a shell. And sinking animations are just bad and twitchy now so I hope they will be better also.

[NEXT]
Players
5,954 posts
11,997 battles

Overall I think those effects are nice, though I'm concered about 2 effects

1. Smoke of Fires

The smoke of fires went higher before, now they seem pretty thin and small. I really like to see huge smoke trails, it's just more realistic to watch

events-second-world-warwwii-war-at-sea-g

2. The AA tracers looked a bit blurry before, now cleaner and finer. I think the bigger, blurry tracer might look better.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
9 posts
3 hours ago, Claudius_Caesar said:

Dude , no offence - I could run this on my integrated intel iris plus chip at medium settings with 30 fps. 

this is a game that it easily playable on the entry level cards out there with more than decent fps. Also they said it will not affect performance.  What are you talking about?

Dude have a Dell Core I7 2Ghz, 8GB Ram, a 2GB GTX graphics card plus 50 megs per second connection which averages 37-42 megs per second, even on medium setting I'm getting slow down sometimes even down to 10fps even an awful lot of lag spikes

[PIPI_]
Players
215 posts
6 hours ago, Kenny_Gee said:

4 hours ago, Claudius_Caesar said:

nice reply..not.

There is a bunch of bugs known for years now. Desync where shells just pass through the target because for you it gets rendered in the place where it was 4seconds ago. Same problem other way around shells hitting the air, exploding midair and dealing dmg to the enemy nearby.

Torpedoes not despawning despite having exceeded their maximum range or ghost shells / torpedoes going through solid islands and mountains (they have no collision check and pass players as well).

Getting hit by shells that splash into the water ~150m away from your ship or torpedoes hitting you after passing behind your ship or taking dmg 3 or 4 seconds AFTER the shells hit the water around you.

For a long time Flamuu was collecting clips of such occurrences. Though I don't know what he did with those.

I had several occasions where i didn't get spotted while shooting despite clear line of sight to my target (and i'm the one spotting it).

There is also poor optimization. Having several effects like fire, hits, splashes and/or firing guns at the same time leading to fps randomly tanking. Most commonly (carrier based) aircraft have a noticeable impact on performance.

All in all I find the Warships client to be vastly unstable. With it occasionally crashing or, if i let it running long enough, it will massively slow down to the point where I have to forcibly end and restart the client. I haven't seen that level of issues with any other client, and that even includes the world of tanks client.

It's not an issue you can simply blame on dated hardware...

• Cool 1

[R3B3L]
Players
1,328 posts
32,282 battles
5 hours ago, WgPlsNerfRangeModBBs said:

To prevent that you can use multiple skills and upgrades: Preventive Maintenance, Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 or Main Armaments Modification 1 which reduce the risk of your torpedo tubes becoming uneffective.

ok thanks, but as stated

5 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

I use module prevention modules and captain perks, I am also aware that some high-tier modules raise the chance to get the TTs knocked out and avoid them. For me survivability comes first, moar dakka second.

especially

For me survivability comes first

The easiest solution to lower this problem is to dodge shells ;)

uhm

5 mins into game, first rocket strike - TT incap; second hit - TT destroyed.

I mean, thanks for replying something but I feel like my request just got swiped away without bothering to actually read it.

5 hours ago, YabbaCoe said:

This:

No, not "this" (see above).

I´ll try it somewhere else then.

[PIPI_]
Players
215 posts
1 hour ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Overall I think those effects are nice, though I'm concered about 2 effects

1. Smoke of Fires

The smoke of fires went higher before, now they seem pretty thin and small. I really like to see huge smoke trails, it's just more realistic to watch

events-second-world-warwwii-war-at-sea-g

Thanks, but i vote against that and the vast majority of the player base is guaranteed to join me on this one.

You hopefully realize that such a "realistic" smoke cloud would result in 50%+ of your screen being filled with smoke while you are on fire, right ? So as long as you burn you won't see anything except for a part of your ship and the water directly around it and a giant black smoke cloud. In the same manner any other burning ship would block sight to almost anything in that direction. You might as well play with your monitor turned off...

• Cool 1

[PIPI_]
Players
215 posts
9 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

To prevent that you can use multiple skills and upgrades: Preventive Maintenance, Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 or Main Armaments Modification 1 which reduce the risk of your torpedo tubes becoming uneffective.

ok thanks, but as stated

6 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

I use module prevention modules and captain perks, I am also aware that some high-tier modules raise the chance to get the TTs knocked out and avoid them. For me survivability comes first, moar dakka second.

especially

6 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

For me survivability comes first

I have largely stopped using the survivability skills and nodules for that reason.

In a match in my Moskva I lost all mid and short range AA to 2 rocket strikes from a Midway despite having the Aux. armament mod 1. I had multiple occasion where i lost all my torp tubes on my DD while only loosing like 10-15% of my hulls HP despite having everything that increases their survival. In the same manner i have lost boatloads of secondary guns on my BB's to DD HE spam even when using full 2ndary builds, picking every single module and skill that boost them in any way. Especially in german cruisers and BB it's very common to loose your torpedo tubes to meager secondaries.

The simple fact that your armament can be permanently destroyed is just a bad idea. Especially since Hans is obviously not capable of replacing the broken MG42 with a spare from the Kurfuerst's storage, but Thatch can rebuild his plane midfight after eating 3 152mm FLAK and  Aircraft Carrier Captain Lolz can build whole airwings from the salt and tears of his enemies.

...maybe we should be grateful that WG didn't get the idea to include engine and steering in the list of modules that can be permanently broken...at least not yet...

07-04-2020 21.49.58 0000.png