Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nisio_One

Close combat query?

7 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
1,059 battles

I just finished a game where my Scharnhorst was right up next to another battleship (but perpendicular to it) We had both stopped and I had successfully hit the other guy with 3 torps. He was almost dead, but I couldn't finish him quickly because my shots were missing. I was aiming as standard just on the waterline. Someone in comments said to "aim for the conning tower". I did kill him in the end, but we both pretty much blew up simultaneously. A bit disappointed that I obviously must have made a rookie mistake.

When up real close, should I be aiming for conning tower? the superstructure generally? Just don't want to make that mistake again. Thanks for any tips offered!

[CHEFT]
Players
12,440 posts
9,841 battles

Can you upload the replay?

Kinda hard to tell what was going on. I assume you were broadside and he was bow on to you? If yes, then it probably would have made sense to go for the superstructure (depends). But the replay would help more, to give you a conclusive answer.

Players
5 posts
1,059 battles

I really wish I had recorded it as I had played better than I usually do that game. But basically I'm the blue arrow and the other guy was the red arrow. Roughly that was our positions and orientation.

image.thumb.png.e208647eb284f548afb5709a875f31e9.png

I think my first volley hit him and did good damage, then my torps hit and then we were as close as it looks on map. Subsequent shots didn't hit him, then I noticed a team mate saying in game chat to aim for conning tower.

I'd just just swiftly dispatched 2 battleships and a cruiser, so it was really irritating that I took so long to finish this guy and then blew up just after they died.

What are people using to record these days? Must get back into that habit.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,440 posts
9,841 battles
3 minutes ago, Nisio_One said:

I really wish I had recorded

The last 20 games get automatically saved in your wows folder. Just go to your wows folder, and look for the one saying "replays". Should be in there.

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,440 posts
9,841 battles
35 minutes ago, Nisio_One said:

I'd genuinely love to know what I should have done at the end. It was frustrating!

shot-21_03.10_17_27.24-0448.thumb.jpg.03b71a9ec32fa8aa505679729dd9d71d.jpg

The first salvo could have been a little bit more to the front - you got 1 pen + 1 cit and 4 ricochets. Aiming a bit at the bow, because the bow is flatter towards you, should have gotten more damage. Possibly even killing him with the torps.

shot-21_03.10_17_27.39-0974.thumb.jpg.f1b3ad5b4a7f3308b26e69d5185bcd64.jpg

The backtturret either into the superstructure or as much into the bow as possible. But you shot his belt, which shattered and bounced.

shot-21_03.10_17_27.45-0487.thumb.jpg.05f45e0e729eac8d0cda9614e962716f.jpg

The frontguns again, go for the superstructure. If a ship is weak, rather go for the guaranteed damage than trying to get citadels / belt pens. Superstructure is always easy damage, even if its overpens, it would have killed him.

If you would have been a BB with 380mm guns or more, you could have overmatched his bow and upper belt, which would have killed him either way. Sadly, Scharnhorst only has 283mm guns, which bounces on most BBs except bow/stern on certain T5 BBs.

• Cool 3

Players
5 posts
1,059 battles

Thanks very much taking the time to look at my replay. I will digest this later and keep it in mind for the future!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this