Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Silver_Firebote

W.Virginia / Mutsu owners, what’s your though on them?

35 comments in this topic

Players
55 posts
1,300 battles

Hello hello, I’m planning on dipping some cash in the game, I already own a warspite and enjoying a lot with the overmatching mechanics and BIG damage. And why not go even further with 406-410mm big boi too?

what’s your opinion on these ships and is it worth a buy? 
One particular question is how do u feel about the dispersion and the punch on the gun? 

[MUMMY]
Players
657 posts
10,457 battles

Mutsu is a great ship.  Hard hitting guns with reasonable accuracy, plus rapid reload torps that catches many people off guard whilst closing.  

West Virginia, meh.  Not fussed on her as I find her too slow and offers not much more than the silver ships at the same tier.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,697 posts
15,193 battles
21 minutes ago, Silver_Firebote said:

Depends a bit on what you want to do with them; mine live almost exclusively in Ops (and the occasional Coop), and for that Mutsu is probably better as she's not as slow - if memory serves - and she's a bit more versatile.

I'm not really a BB fiend, but I believe the main point about WV is that you get the huge guns a tier lower, but pay for it elsewhere; this doesn't really appeal to me (especially given how slow the ship is).

I have both, but Mutsu gets rather more use...

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
30,026 posts
15,424 battles

Mutsu has overmatch, but otherwise her guns are weak (Fuso and New Mex have more penetration).

[CAIN]
Players
4,926 posts
20,778 battles
1 hour ago, Silver_Firebote said:

Hello hello, I’m planning on dipping some cash in the game, I already own a warspite and enjoying a lot with the overmatching mechanics and BIG damage. And why not go even further with 406-410mm big boi too?

One particular question is how do u feel about the dispersion and the punch on the gun? 

Personally,  I prefer W. Virginia over Mutsu, despite being slower.

The guns just feel more reliable overall.

But that's just me.

• Cool 3

Players
167 posts
1,000 battles
39 minuti fa, ColonelPete ha scritto:

Mutsu has overmatch, but otherwise her guns are weak (Fuso and New Mex have more penetration).

Yep, IIRC she uses pre war ammunition 

Players
376 posts
12,013 battles

Since you like the warspite, the line that fits it is jap bb line (Yamato), so therefore i would go for the mutsu. The cpt for the ship and the line is the same, with the big boom stick guns. Mutsu torps are also a meme, ontop of the good speed its a great ship. WV is also strong, but its mutsu for me!

Players
55 posts
1,300 battles
12 hours ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

Since you like the warspite, the line that fits it is jap bb line (Yamato), so therefore i would go for the mutsu. The cpt for the ship and the line is the same, with the big boom stick guns. Mutsu torps are also a meme, ontop of the good speed its a great ship. WV is also strong, but its mutsu for me!

I saw people keep saying the AP is unreliable, do u feel it that way? Or is it only when fighting tanky BBs? 

[FAILS]
Players
665 posts
21,492 battles

I still have "fond" memories of when those two ships were essentially the stock hulls for Colorado and Nagato at tier 7... :Smile_teethhappy:

They certainly work a lot better one tier lower.

Players
2,791 posts
33,198 battles
20 hours ago, Silver_Firebote said:

- W.Virginia has 406mm guns with 16.1km (without the spotter plane), while Mutsu has 410mm guns (basically Nagato guns) with 20,4KM rannge.  They both hit hard.

- Their AP deal same amount of alpha strike (99K), AP DMG (12400) and DPM (198K) are same.

- W.Virginia AP shells have better penetration and accuracy.

- W.Virginia is a slower ship, so positioning is important in her.

- W.Virginia has better AA than Mutsu.

- Mutsu has around 9K more HP.

I have both ships for years and enjoy both but if I had to choose one, i'd prefer keeping W.Virginia. Although it is a slower ship, it's more accurate and Mutsu broad side can be unforgiving.

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,058 posts
20,293 battles

Mutsu is a good ship, but suffers terribly from Tier 6 CV's let alone Tier 8 CV's. She does well as top, OK as middle tier but is quite terrible as bottom tier. 

This from someone who really loves that ship and has had it a Looong time!

Players
395 posts
4,280 battles
Il y a 18 heures, Jethro_Grey a dit :

Personally,  I prefer W. Virginia over Mutsu, despite being slower.

The guns just feel more reliable overall.

But that's just me.

I feel the shell angle + overmatch allows the W Virginia to smacks enemies in their citadels if they are broadside. Overall I prefer W Virginia shells over Warspite shells, to take another T6 ship with the same caliber.

[ENUF_]
Players
630 posts
23,436 battles

If you are fine with a slow ship, get W. Virginia with it's T7 guns.

If you need more speed, it's Mutsu, but with shell penetration between Myogi and Kongo.

Players
376 posts
12,013 battles
4 hours ago, Silver_Firebote said:

I saw people keep saying the AP is unreliable, do u feel it that way? Or is it only when fighting tanky BBs? 

Pen wise its the same as the warspite / marginally better than the normandie

Players
506 posts
11,152 battles

Nobody has mentioned the the USP of the WV, “ take me home country road” playing on the horn! Warspite is a far better ship than either of them imo.

• Cool 1

Players
55 posts
1,300 battles
2 hours ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

Pen wise its the same as the warspite / marginally better than the normandie

just wondering is WV's AP is better than Mustu?

Players
55 posts
1,300 battles
3 hours ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

If you are fine with a slow ship, get W. Virginia with it's T7 guns.

If you need more speed, it's Mutsu, but with shell penetration between Myogi and Kongo.

oh god, that really sounds meh.

Players
55 posts
1,300 battles
5 hours ago, cherry2blost said:

Mutsu is a good ship, but suffers terribly from Tier 6 CV's let alone Tier 8 CV's. She does well as top, OK as middle tier but is quite terrible as bottom tier. 

This from someone who really loves that ship and has had it a Looong time!

im seeing conflicting arguments here about its AP being either weak or okay, how do u feel about it?

Players
376 posts
12,013 battles
2 hours ago, Silver_Firebote said:

just wondering is WV's AP is better than Mustu?

yes check proships.ru for info ect 

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,058 posts
20,293 battles
2 hours ago, Silver_Firebote said:

im seeing conflicting arguments here about its AP being either weak or okay, how do u feel about it?

The AP is fine. Calibre of the Nagato but with actual real world results of an 8 gun Fuso would be my best description, when they hit they really hit... but they can be a bit random at times, Mutsu is best used around island clusters where you can sneak cheeky broadsides at 12 km or less then things tend to stay hit. 

It's best used as a crew trainer it has same situation is the Shittaker at tier 7, it's never going to dominate a game but it's a solid enough ship for training Captains...

These are a couple of my games albeit quite old now but the basics haven't really changed except the CV menace......

Hope it helps you in your decision, Mutsu isn't a terrible ship just adequate, not broken bad or broken good just 'balanced' like older ships generally were....

• Cool 1

Players
1,112 posts
11,995 battles
On 3/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, Silver_Firebote said:

With Virginia its rather straightforward.

You are in tier.6 with US BBs at the moment. Grind a bit and get the Colorado, then you can essentially try it out. Virginia is just a Colorado, with less range and AA.

Biggest problem for Virginia is CV, it is slow an has poor AA, so CVs like it alot.

Also guns, while rather good when up-tiered. They are just too powerful against lower tiers. They tend do overpenetrate alot.

But overall it is a solid BB, but only if you really-really like Colorado (or slow US BBs in general). If you do not like slow US BBs, then probably not a good idea.

Beta Tester
5,565 posts
22,154 battles
5 hours ago, peoplescavalry said:

Nobody has mentioned the the USP of the WV, “ take me home country road” playing on the horn!

Maybe this is an indication of the number people - like me - who deactivate that useless horn effect, which is only used by mental kiddies "because it sounds cool" and/or to annoy other players?

:Smile_trollface:

Players
55 posts
1,300 battles
3 hours ago, mariouus said:

With Virginia its rather straightforward.

You are in tier.6 with US BBs at the moment. Grind a bit and get the Colorado, then you can essentially try it out. Virginia is just a Colorado, with less range and AA.

Biggest problem for Virginia is CV, it is slow an has poor AA, so CVs like it alot.

Also guns, while rather good when up-tiered. They are just too powerful against lower tiers. They tend do overpenetrate alot.

But overall it is a solid BB, but only if you really-really like Colorado (or slow US BBs in general). If you do not like slow US BBs, then probably not a good idea.

i really love my New mex so i dont really mind.

Sign in to follow this