Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Curesto

Questions about the SAP

5 comments in this topic

Players
92 posts
696 battles

Hi, i have some questions about the SAP.

1)Is SAP should have been aimed to battleship superstructure?

2)Does SAP cause more damage to the destroyers?

3)Is it okay to fire SAP to the broadside cruisers?

Here's the operation match with Andrea Doria. I've been using the SAP beginning of the game. Fired 1 AP salvo but most of my shells are shattered or bounced. With SAP, i did better damage, but i want to know if it true or not.

WorldOfWarships64_2021_03_08_00_36_22_866.thumb.png.a79d01b01b6b33373e1e49595a49a0bf.png

Thanks.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,974 posts
10,606 battles

*I'm dumb, didn't realise OP was talking about ITA BBs*

1) yes, and upper belt. And aft and stern. Take into account damage saturation tho, as sap dmg yield deminishes greatly when saturation kicks in. 

2) SAP hurts destroyers especially hard, yes. Ofcourse not "more" per shell as that is impossible. But DDs can't bounce it as easy due to their thin armor. 

3) light cruisers yes, heavy cruisers yes, battle cruisers (such as stalingrad) probably have too thick armor to pen with sap. But I'm not a numbers guy so you'd have to check in training room. 

My experience with sap however is that it's pretty much the go-to ammo on ITA cruisers. 

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,675 posts
15 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Hi, i have some questions about the SAP.

1) More or less, super structure and upper belt is fair target as well

2) BB SAP causes 1/10 damage on DDs so its more or less the same as AP in that regard

3) Yes, you might even cit some and for the rest - you wont overpen

[VIBES]
Players
691 posts
19,486 battles
25 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Yes and no.

SAP has a maximum penetration and it won't go past the first layer of armor.

So for instance, an Andrea Doria shooting SAP (82 mm pen) can citadel a Pensacola, but not a New Orleans, La Galissoniere and many more: they have thicker armor and/or spaced armor, meaning the citadel is behind another layer that will take the SAP (so normal pen damage, 1/3 of the max value), but prevent a citadel (100% of the max value).

If you're in the Doria, SAP loaded, and an Algerie shows broadside, you have to shoot her extremities or upper belt, just like you would on a BB. If you aim at the citadel, her 110 mm belt will shatter all of it. AP, on the other hand, will probably land some citadels, maybe even a Dev Strike.

I recommend using the special captain Sansonetti on Italian ships (at least your highest-tier cruiser and these early access BBs), since he gets an improved Gun Feeder skill: the penalty to switch ammo type is cut down to 75%, which is extremely nice.

[CATS]
Players
30,373 posts
15,494 battles
19 minutes ago, Curesto said:

1. yes
  2. Only cruiser and DD SAP
  3. At close range, yes, at longer ranges you should take AP, but that depends on gun size

With BB SAP it is usually better to use AP, there are only a few instances were SAP is better (broadside CL at close range).

The problem is that BB dispersion makes it hard to hit specific areas vulnerable to SAP.

• Bad 1

Sign in to follow this