You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RedRonie

"State of Mind" and "Enjoying the Game"

32 comments in this topic

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Dear Diary.jpg

*edit - Post is true, being salty and blaming everyone else is bad for your health and you will forever have potato stats if you refuse to evaluate yourself and learn.

Just not a big fan of the diary format.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
100 posts
124 battles

Post modern euphemism galore. To summarize in a single sentence; the effort wasnt worth the cost nor the environment willing to reward the effort so I lowered my expectations and used positivity and faulty sense of individuality as cushion seats against the harsh reality; that I dont possess the strenght or influence to change the environment. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 4

[LUZ1]
Players
1,272 posts
14,199 battles

Thanks for sharing your story.

I quit WoWs for a year and got back some 2 years ago. Came to very comparable conclusions as you have. This game has to be fun. But it is sometimes challenging to accept all the frustration WG and bad players create. 

Hou je taai :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

Players
3,709 posts
20,847 battles

Its a great story and I commend you on your post adn actions. And when there is liteally no one to compliment on your team, it's time to close the game and avoid the abysmal level of 'gameplay' that's been steadily nurtured by this company. Because there is a limit to what one can endure, honestly.

• Cool 4

Players
7,526 posts
245 battles

Thank you for the nice post regardless, its nice too see you enjoy something can no longer do so. But regardless i hope you have a good time.

happy.jpg.aa31324745b49d61ff7696995e3672d6.jpg

• Cool 4

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,676 posts
3 hours ago, RedRonie said:

To close this down, i saw a message on twitter recently that really got me thinking and made me even more aware. It said this: "Reminder: Think about who might be on the otherside before you hit "enter" on that toxic thing you're about to say in chat."

TBH the positive approach is all nice and cuddly but in the end you will still lose if the guy next to you fails at doing his part hard enough and most of us (people) dont really cherish losing...

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,671 battles

One of the best posts I’ve seen in a while.

I hope we can all learn to react a little less harshly and remember it’s just a game.

My 9 year old watches me play sometimes  and occasionally plays coop games. Seeing him get frustrated at times reminds me to be a good example, to ignore salty chat and not get angry about it.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
2,082 posts
15,284 battles
27 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

We're all in this together! :Smile_honoring:

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[ALYEN]
Players
2,421 posts
4,254 battles

So basically it does not matter if you are good or not, or if other players are good or not, important thing is to IGNORE the things you don't like.

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
13,573 battles
5 hours ago, RedRonie said:

Hello Captains :cap_cool:

In this post im going to talk about "state of mind" and "enjoying the game". From personal experience im going to try and explain how a positive state of mind makes you better in the game and therefor enjoy the game more. But before we get started, give me a moment to introduce myself.

Who am I?

My name is RedRonie and im from the Netherlands. I have been playing WoWs since October 2016. I consider myself a DD main and i am the found father of The Flying Dutchman community, which exists of 2 clans. It is also the home of Daniel Rusev and FreetheBrain. I also stream WoWs regularly on Twitch myself and have been doing that for the last 2 years. I consider myself a good player with a good amount of knowledge of the game. But feel free to judge that for yourself. https://wows-numbers.com/player/540899851,RedRonie/

Now before we are go in to main topic of this post, let me enlighten you with my history of the game, how it changed me and what i did to enjoy the game as it is.

My early experience

A friend of mine introduced me to WoWs and when i started playing the game, i had no clue of what to do or how to play. I played a lot with my friend or just solo. You could definitly call me a potato back then, but i really liked the game and kept on playing. Untill i finally realized that there was more to it and as there where clans, i joined a Dutch clan. Back then clans where just a clan and nothing more. No clan naval base upgrades, no clan battles or anything. But that changed at update 0.7.9 where they introduced Clan Naval Bases with Oil. The first day after the update, i logged in only to find out i was kicked from the clan without any reason. So i decided to start my own clan and thus [-TFD-] The Flying Dutchman was born. At first we accepted everyone, because the main goal was just to get oil. However most of the members back then wanted more and a core group was born. One of those members told me that the first 2000 battles playing this game is just screwing around. And he was right. I was at a winrate of 48,4%

I have to get better

Ok that screwing around got stuck in my head and i wanted to get better. So i started to self educate myself by watching a lot of Youtube and read about everything that the game had to offer. It was also the time i started looking at my stats and trying to see where i felt short. The first thing i taught myself was survivability, how to last longer in a game. And step by step i began to learn more and more. At a certain point i started streaming on Youtube pure for the reason to be able to watch back my battles and see the things i did right and wrong. Over the time i started to get better and my stats started to improve. I gained more focus and knowledge of the game and started to feel confident about my preformances.

Salt and negativity

Now that i felt good about my own play and was becoming better and knowing what was good play and what was bad play, i started looking at other players. I started recognizing the mistakes they made and what they did wrong. Althought i did not often expressed my negativity and salt towards those players, i cannot deny that it really frustrated me. And as this frustartion was growing so did my negativity towards the game began to grow. 

Getting to the point

With Wargaming making some bad PR moves, my frustartion finally got to a point where i realized i had a choice. Either quit the game or change my own state of mind. This was the key point in my whole WoWs carreer. I was burned out, but i was also leading a clan, created a 2nd clan and building up a community. I had made a lot of friends and i didnt want to give that up. But something had to change. So i decided to take a step down and give the overall leadership to a good friend that i really trust completly and started focussing on my own state of mind. How could i get my fun and enjoyment in the game back?

Realizing the problem

Slowly i started realizing that i, myself, was having a problem with the game. I was to frustrated and needed to change that. Now what im about to say to you, i ask you to not only read the words, but after you have read them, take a moment and think about it. Here we go: "Frustration is your own problem. Nobody cares about your frustartion. Not your teammates, not your enemies and not even your division or clan mates" Now let this sink in.....................................                                                                                                           
Changed state of mind

I started to realize this and it helped me slowly losing that frustration. Step by step i started to accept flaws and mistakes made by not only other players but also  mistakes made by myself and the game itself. Believe me when i say that accepting these things is a hard thing to do, but it is the best thing to do for your own state of mind. But by doing this i not only became less frustated.. I also became more foccused on my own gameplay again. And my preformance started to become a lot better again. And with a better preformance also my fun in the game started to come back.

Still aware of problems

Now dont get me wrong. I am still very aware of the problems this game has. Deadly Eye as a prime example and i truely hope they change it, but i no longer see the point of getting all fed up about it. It will only affect my own state of mind if i do so. Instead im trying to have fun with my friends and clanmates while still trying to improve my stats. And it is really working.

Spreading positivity

Thinking back at my early times playing this game and at the words of my member telling me about screwing around, i really started realizing that i needed to be more positive towards other players. Not everybody is as good as.... or some are still "screwing around" or simply plays for a different reason. But yeah i dont have the right to expect them to be like me. So yes, these days im giving compliments, writing them positive messages or give them advice if they ask for it. Imagine being told that you did a good job or just a chin up after a defeat. That changes peoples attitude and enjoyment in the game. And hell they even accept your advice as you help them get better.

They are people

To close this down, i saw a message on twitter recently that really got me thinking and made me even more aware. It said this: "Reminder: Think about who might be on the otherside before you hit "enter" on that toxic thing you're about to say in chat."

EvPYnEbXMAg_6AY.jpg

Have a great day, good battles and take care of each other.

RedRonie

Bear in mind that you don't play to make everyone else happy or provide them with a good time; you play to make your self happy while having a good time.

• Cool 2

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles

This would have been a great approach for living in one of the communist countries of the past but if you acquire this attitude in order to endure a video game... I don't know what to tell you. It's not like anyone here expects unicum levels of play from his teammates but many players can't even grasp the most basic stuff. Then you think he might be a new player and deserves some lenience so you open his profile only to see 20k battles. It feels like WoWs is the storage basin for the bottom feeders of online gaming. Add WG's reluctance to deal with rigging and bots, the predatory marketing + taking away stuff from you that you got for playing the game...

In general it's never a good idea to accept a situation that you assessed as unbearable before.

• Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,813 posts
21,424 battles

This guy didn't like me telling him kindly to just dodge. Very weird. :cap_hmm:

f15bOmH.png

• Funny 3

[SOTE]
Beta Tester
180 posts
2,417 battles

I have to remind myself, constantly today,

NOT

TO

GET

ANOTHER

BAN.

Listen, there should be some requirment before you can play the rankeds. Or something like bracket for apes and bots. I saw guy today, who played almost 3k games in Arkansas Beta and some other tier 3 and 4 ships. Total seal clubber. Salty AF during the ranked. His ranked WR is 41% (mine was 59 before today, thats long gone). I cannot play with people like him. Others are same, as they dont seal club to get WR in randoms up.

Then there is 0 ZERO nada, null enjoyment in game. Its ******* fest of losing games, while you do 75k dmg in Agir, get kill and see yourself at second place, becase some random DD with 3 plane ships took the first place (I assume, thanks to cap). ****** hate that

Players
343 posts
8,585 battles

It is likely harder for YOU streamers or guys who devote that much time and energy to the game but you nailed it @RedRonie  , IT'S A GAME!!!

Something too many people forget far too quickly, ok it can be frustrating but guess what nobody died, nobody got hurt, unless you hit yourself with a keyboard, and nobody really cares once the battle is finished, and if you do, the problem is with you and not the other players.

If you don't like the way the game is or you don't like the path it's taking, go and play something else or buy WG!  

• Funny 1

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles
6 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

This guy didn't like me telling him kindly to just dodge. Very weird. :cap_hmm:

Another DD player who doesn't use the AA sector mechanic to his advantage. SMH :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,676 posts
9 minutes ago, Logan_MountStuart said:

If you don't like the way the game is or you don't like the path it's taking, go and play something else or buy WG!  

Or just tell the guy that just threw the match that he did badly?

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
14 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

This would have been a great approach for living in one of the communist countries of the past but if you acquire this attitude in order to endure a video game... I don't know what to tell you. It's not like anyone here expects unicum levels of play from his teammates but many players can't even grasp the most basic stuff. Then you think he might be a new player and deserves some lenience so you open his profile only to see 20k battles. It feels like WoWs is the storage basin for the bottom feeders of online gaming. Add WG's reluctance to deal with rigging and bots, the predatory marketing + taking away stuff from you that you got for playing the game... 

In general it's never a good idea to accept a situation that you assessed as unbearable before.

I agree with this. After playing only Bronze league in ranked, i feel im pretty lenient in which people i actually insult. If id insult every bad player, id insult my teammates 24/7 because they basicly always have sub 50% WR. But with some people, i just cant help myself. The worst are those, who are actively NOT playing the game. Who wants them anyway? And noone needs them either...

Reminds me of that one guy in ranked, who kept ramming my ship from behind and using his horn, shoving me into torps and prohibiting me from angling/dodging shells. Calling me lil sh*t and complaining why i dont move full speed. Called him an ape - i think thats fair. The funnier part is, that he was a newbie with 500 battles played. And he thinks, he is the mastermind who has it all figured out. "What, someone else is not moving fullspeed like a window-licker? Ill better tell him what i think of him"... :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,975 posts
10,606 battles
6 hours ago, RedRonie said:

EvPYnEbXMAg_6AY.jpg

My experience with trying to help lesser experienced players in this game:

"Grandpa it helps if y-.."

"Shut your mouth, you elitist little ****! I play for fun."

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

Players
3,709 posts
20,847 battles
1 hour ago, Logan_MountStuart said:

It is likely harder for YOU streamers or guys who devote that much time and energy to the game but you nailed it @RedRonie  , IT'S A GAME!!!

Something too many people forget far too quickly, ok it can be frustrating but guess what nobody died, nobody got hurt, unless you hit yourself with a keyboard, and nobody really cares once the battle is finished, and if you do, the problem is with you and not the other players.

The 'it's a just a game' argument is really really stale. It's not 'just' a game. It's a pvp team game. These games are competetive, and in competetive team games people rely on eachother to give their best to have a fun and engaging match, and try to win that match to their best abilities, each and every time you press that battle button. People that don't care for any reason are welcome to play coop all day long. :cap_like:

• Cool 3

[ATUM]
Beta Tester
398 posts
6,091 battles

I'm chat-banned (again) and what I learned is the more I play the more ''on tilt'' I get.

Now I am no Unicum, but Wows-Numbers puts me at 'Very Good' so I at least have an idea of what is going on in the game, although not skilled enough to carry. And this is for me, my problem. I need my teammates if I want to win because I can't carry them and at the same time I am knowledgeable enough to see that they are doing things that are not good for the team and will lead to a defeat. I get fixated on what others are doing wrong and the fact that they are not helping the team and then my mindset goes out, ultimately leading to a ban.

So my answer; play less. My battles per week have just about halved since December. I played one night this week between Monday and Friday and played enough games yesterday to complete the 6 dailies and I had already had enough already. I get less exposure to things that frustrate me and nobody has to deal with my saltiness.

• Cool 1