Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verloden51

Günther Lütjens is the only Legendary Commander to go straight to the Armory for coal. Why and how is that fair?

12 comments in this topic

[R0GUE]
Players
3 posts
5,007 battles

I don't really post anything here but using Halsey on Massachusetts lately made this topic come to mind.

Most nations in game have a Legendary Commander that amplifies the gameplay of his nations' ships of all classes.

They and the method in which they can/could be obtained are the following:

Japan - Yamamoto Isoroku, obtainable by completing the "Yamamoto Isoroku" campaign

USA - William Halsey, obtainable by completing the "Hit Hard! Hit Fast! Hit Often!"  campaign

UK - Andrew Cunningham, obtainable for Royal Tokens during the British Heavy Cruiser event in Update 0.9.1,  currently available in armory for 175 000 coal

France - Philippe Auboyneau,  obtainable for French Tokens during the French Arc event in Update 0.8.7, currently available in armory for 175 000 coal

USSR - Nikolay Kuznetsov, obtainable for Victory Tokens awarded during the 2019 "Victory" Competition event, currently available in armory for 175 000 coal

Italy - Luigi Sansonetti, obtainable for the completion of the "Resolute and Rapid"  collection during the release of the Italian Cruiser event,  currently unavailable, probably will follow lead and be put in the armory for coal in the future  obtainable by purchasing collection containers for coal in the armory

Pan EU - Jerzy Ṡwirski, obtainable for the completion of the temporary "Strong-Willed" campaign starting during the release of Pan EU DD's and random bundles in the armory, currently unavailable, probably will follow lead and be put in the armory for coal in the future

Germany - Gunther Lutjens, obtainable for 175 000 coal starting with the release of the German CV line in summer 2020

As can be seen, the majority of the Legendary Commanders can be or could be obtained for free by completing campaigns, collections or exchanging tokens obtained for free during events, these events mostly being a new line release for that commanders' nation . All but one exception which might be quite obvious at this point, that being Gunther Lutjens. While indeed he was released together with a new German line (the CV one), instead of following the norm of previous commanders he was put straight to the armory for coal with no chance of obtaining him in any other way. This makes no sense and I have not seen a lot of attention on this matter or at least a proper explanation.

You might say this is how Legendary Commanders will be released going forward but the next Legendary Commander released after Lutjens was Jerzy Ṡwirski and while his campaign was time limited (6 months if I recall correctly), he was still obtainable for free before most likely going to armory for coal.

So during the release of a new German line in a very long time (approx. 3 whole years, might be wrong) instead of getting the same treatment as other nations,  being able to get a Legendary Commander for free/grind, we get an alternative camo scheme and the ability to mount double flags which are not inherently bad but are not on the same level. There was little explanation for this weird exception and dry release.

All this is exacerbated by the state of German BB's in the current meta and  that he is honestly the only Legendary Captain I'd want and the only one that was not available for a different method first. For example, I unintentionally obtained Cunningham and Sansonetti by playing during their release patch. I don't even use Sansonetti, who I would trade in a heartbeat for Lutjens. Actually I would trade any other Legendary Commander I own besides maybe Halsey for Lutjens. Also I don't play a lot of British ships. Swirski was the same, playing normally during the 6 month period of his campaign. The same with Yamamoto, which was never really a goal as I don't play Japanese ships. The only one different was Halsey who besides Lutjens, is the only captain I actively wished for. 

This discrepancy between the release of Lutjens and his  counterparts is really jarring and a clear missed opportunity to give German BB's (and all other German lines) some needed pluses in the current state of the game. Especially as particularly for German BB's he is only useful if one uses an already extremely specialized and situational playstyle, that being a secondary build so the arguments that he's broken or OP in any way in that specific case is unfounded in my eyes. The only case for that argument (quite weak though) might be  Hindenburg with a lighthouse build but that's mostly thanks to the current state of long range HE farming.

My only hope is that there will be a way of obtaining Lutjens during the release of the new German DD line and that people who already have him, by completing the required tasks, will instead get his value in coal as compensation. Although this seems very unlikely.

The aim of this (quite long) post was to raise a point, get your opinions on this matter and maybe get an explanation or reason for this exception.

Note: I have enough coal for him but I view the price to be too high together with the facts that he is only a 10 pointer, the recent increase in CP needed to get him to max level, the commander rework affecting negatively secondary builds and that I already have 2 German 19 point commanders. Also my apologies if this is too long.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,410 posts
9,841 battles
3 minutes ago, Verloden51 said:

Italy - Luigi Sansonetti, obtainable for the completion of the "Resolute and Rapid"  collection during the release of the Italian Cruiser event,  currently unavailable, probably will follow lead and be put in the armory for coal in the future 

You can get him by buying containers with the collection items. Which most likely results in same price as 175k or maybe a bit less.

Thats why i doubt that they will put him into the armory for 175k coal directly. What happens when people buy containers for the collection AND buy him seperately with coal? They get him twice? :Smile_trollface:

Didnt want to add anything else, just say that you can actually buy him right now.

[TF]
Players
115 posts
1,951 battles

It does not matter anymore, does it ? the campaigns are over, anyone willing to get Lutjens or any other armory commander today has only one choice, pay 175k coal. Jerzy is even not available at all. Why does it matter that he was never available for missions ? + coal is "free" anyway, but the high price forces you to choose between a T9/T10 ship with coupon, or a commander.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
32 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

What happens when people buy containers for the collection AND buy him seperately with coal? They get him twice? :Smile_trollface:

Yes, if you have swirsky and get him again for coal you get his brother, brosky.

• Funny 3

[R0GUE]
Players
3 posts
5,007 battles
1 hour ago, meuhbat said:

It does not matter anymore, does it ? the campaigns are over, anyone willing to get Lutjens or any other armory commander today has only one choice, pay 175k coal. Jerzy is even not available at all. Why does it matter that he was never available for missions ? + coal is "free" anyway, but the high price forces you to choose between a T9/T10 ship with coupon, or a commander.

Well it does matter. While yes Jerzy is not available anymore and containers for his collection might appear in the armory, fact is he was obtainable for free at some point. Lutjens wasn't. And no reason was given why. If Lutjens had been available for free and then sent to armory it would've been one thing but he wasn't.

Also it matters that only the German Legendary Commander is sent straight to armory, making players who want him pay a substantial amount of coal (with no other previous alternative) while for other nations players didn't have to burn their coal straight up.

[VIBES]
Players
639 posts
19,297 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

You can get him by buying containers with the collection items. Which most likely results in same price as 175k or maybe a bit less.

Indeed.

It's 16 items and I believe 4 duplicates can be exchanged for one. I ran some tests (I'm not good enough to figure out the formula :Smile_sad:), and it works out to an average of 26 containers to complete the collection. At 6k coal each, that's 156k coal to get Sansonetti.

[CAIN]
Players
4,926 posts
20,778 battles

Well, Lütjens is a German commander. 

And there's the answer: German.

• Funny 3

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

I paid like 150K coal for Jack Dunkirk because I needed to buy another 10 containers to finish the collection but I fat fingered it and got an extra 100

• Funny 2

Players
3,454 posts
17,237 battles
9 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Well, Lütjens is a German commander. 

And there's the answer: German.

I have to laugh about this - or I would feel like crying.

Germany is my favourite fleet in WoWS and I don't feel that it gets as well treated as other nations.

(Not saying this as some sort of German "patriot" of course, because I am actually a Brit)

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Germany is my favourite fleet in WoWS and I don't feel that it gets as well treated as other nations

German tech tree is all about crutches, they're designed so that new players can perform reasonably well in them but they don't provide good players the tools to carry a match. You put a bad player in a minotaur, he'll think it's garbage, you put a good player in a GK, he'll think it's garbage.

Players
2,568 posts
14,864 battles
55 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

(Not saying this as some sort of German "patriot" of course, because I am actually a Brit)

Traitor :cap_haloween:

It's about WG policy of getting maximum revenue from German players by giving them minimum in return. But then Germans lost the war (according to WG mainly because of Glorious Soviet Navy:Smile_facepalm:) so WG thinks they should still pay contributions - hence overpriced inferior ships and captains. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this