Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
woppy101

Stalingrad or keep steel

20 comments in this topic

[SPURD]
Beta Tester
603 posts
10,257 battles

Hi guys, I’m 800 steel away from finally having enough for the Stalingrad, is that a good choice or is there better ships on the horizon to hang on for?

[UNNF]
Players
380 posts
27,718 battles

Love my Stalingrad, very solid performance all the way and in my opinion best value for money ( steel ) .

I believe in near future WG will remove it as the steel price is not bad and they have the tendency of silently increasing the prices and perhaps will be locked down behind cash wall ( some loot boxes or Santa sock's lottery ).

[CHEFT]
Players
12,690 posts
10,677 battles

Eh... i really wouldnt get it. Since cruisers dont have access to Bos and FP any longer, Stalingrad got pretty vulnerable to fires. You can forget about sitting bow-in somewhere. You want to turn around preemptively, and then shoot from 20km, because all the HE spamming Thunderers will just focus you. If that is something you like to do, then you can get Stalingrad.

Somers = wouldnt get it. Imo its not really that unique to justify being a steelship. Also gets removed in 2 weeks

Plymouth = kinda interesting. Its like putting an Edinburgh together with a Smoke and Radar Mino into one bowl, and you get a Smoke + radar 16 gun DD shredding platform.

Bourgogne = I liked it before the captain rework a lot. But now it kinda suffers with all the camping going on. Flanking is not really an option, especially with all the Thunderers just farting HE your way. I think it needs to focus on HE more than before, which i dont like.

FDR = well, CV noobies dream ship. Not really that strong for good CV players, but thanks to extremely tanky planes, i guess every monkey can strike ships with it before losing all planes.

Stalin = as i said before. Guns are still awesome, but staying power in world of HE is practically gone. Huge, clumsy and turns like a brick. You overextend = you get farmed to death. Everyone hates Stalingrad, and everyone will shoot you when spotted. Not fun to play in randoms IMO.

Shiki = kinda like a Yamato. Hits harder but only 6 shells. I think its too similar to Yamato to spend so much steel, but thats just my opinion.

I have Bourgogne, Stalingrad and Plymouth. Currently i think, i enjoy Plymouth the most, but its a very unique playstyle, and VERY risky if you want to kill DDs with it. High risk = high reward.

• Cool 7

Players
2,440 posts
15,193 battles

Somers will be removed and replaced with Austin in two weeks and word behind closed doors is, that this thing is beyond broken. Like worse than Smolensk broken before the rework. We'll see if this holds true. And as already mentioned, Stalingrad is not any longer what it used to be.

[YEET]
Players
2,741 posts
10,299 battles
6 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Your list

Is too damn accurate - spent the last 35K steel I earned on unique captains. The only ones vaguely interesting to me were stalingrad and plymouth but stalingrad ehhh, whenever I see one since the patch it's on fire, no hydro is a tough sell too. And plymouth, sure, if you really hate destroyers I guess. But if you hate destroyers so much, play daring or smaland, they're still useful after you killed the enemy DDs.

[SVX]
Players
1,850 posts
20,871 battles

i got all except fdr and plymoth. 3k steel left for fdr.

with that said i would say the ``best´´ steel ships is bourgounge its a insanely strong ship if you know how to play it. 

shikishima was a letdown yamato is better.......

somers is a good torp dd if that is your thing.

stalin is a great ship suffer from the rework but the guns are still excelent. (if you have moskva they are quite similari in playstyle)

[CHEFT]
Players
12,690 posts
10,677 battles
26 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Somers will be removed and replaced with Austin in two weeks and word behind closed doors is, that this thing is beyond broken. Like worse than Smolensk broken before the rework. We'll see if this holds true. And as already mentioned, Stalingrad is not any longer what it used to be.

Somehow i find that hard to believe, alltho ive heard the same stuff. I guess its 3x SU tryhard divs with US DD smoking that Austin up and then let it rain death from smoke.

The only thing i wonder is, how easy does it get killed. It has only 30k HP and standard heal.

Smolensk has more guns with better reload, even with the reload booster. I also assume, Smolensk has far superior gunarcs, which let you hit stuff at 16km. Not sure if buffing 15km austin range with rangemod make any sense? But we will see i guess, there are no gun characteristics available on wowsft for Austin...

Austin has 1% higher firechance,but less shells and slower reload, so Smolensk even starts more fires.

If we look at SAP performance, we could compare it to Minotaur, and that has better performance aswell?

Dunno... i just cant see Austin being OP, unless it has no citadel and Smolensk-like railguns (which i doubt).

Players
3,368 posts
37,429 battles
1 hour ago, woppy101 said:

Hi guys, I’m 800 steel away from finally having enough for the Stalingrad, is that a good choice or is there better ships on the horizon to hang on for?

- You played 47% of your total battles in BBs. 

- It seems like you are doing better in T10 BBs compared to Cruisers.

- Stalingrad has never been a pleasant ship to play in Random games. After the commander skill rework, it is even less fun to play it. It was popular in CBs when it came out. That popularity soared quick after the introduction of CVs into CBs and Venezias.

I'd suggest you to go after a T10 BB (Bourgogne or Shikishima) with your steel if it is itching.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,791 posts
37,476 battles

Why not wait till next patch and then decide. Unless you want Somers, of course. In the next patch Somers will be replaced with Austin for steel. We don't know how good will Austin be in the end but wait for first reviews and see. You might like it. If not you can always pick one between the rest of steel ships, depending on your playstyle and class preferences. there is no need to rush, again unless you want Somers, with a new steel ship incoming and possibly some changes to Captain skills there could be more options or reasons why to pick something or not. 

• Cool 1

[PEZ]
Players
10,950 posts
37,483 battles
2 hours ago, woppy101 said:

I wouldnt waste my steel or any other resource on any capital cruiser right now...

Players
5,368 posts
22,573 battles

Stalingrad is still strong but you really notice the lack of fire prevention.

I think Bourgogne is the better ship as it can do so much. A Stalingrad can be burned down, citadelled easily through deck or broadside far to easily. HE battleships and CVs are problematic.

Bourgogne can counter all of those  with manoeuvrability and it’s reload booster makes up for poor accuracy.

Stalingrad is a platform for probably the best guns in the game. It’s just not that easy to get the best of it.

The nice things about Stalingrad as it doesn’t seem to be the PR sink the Bourgogne is.

[SINT]
Players
1,600 posts
29,616 battles

Option 1: Sommers, if you don’t want to lose the last chance to get her. If you are a collector then it’s now or probably never.

Option 2: If you are not that interested in Sommers and are willing to let her go buy the ship you like most. But With cdr rework meta and playability has changed. Might change again, might not with some possible adjustments. Current rework has effected the strengths and weaknesses of the current ships, including the steel ones. I know that that steel is burning in your wallet but you might keep it a bit longer. As long as WG does not announce more steel ship removals you won’t miss any. ( except for Sommers, see option 1)

[UNNF]
Players
380 posts
27,718 battles

Stalingrad is a must have ship and will be forever strong :cap_old:

Do yourself a favor and get it, till it is still available.

Kill/death ratio 40,000,000/1 - Joseph Stalin | Meme Generator

Players
4,264 posts
14,843 battles

Hummm...

Broken AF when it came out but with the rework (BoS and FP), He meta, supercrusers burning longer change and AP bombs on German CVs, its knocked it down a peg or two. Still very strong in the right hands with those guns👐 though the newish petro has overtaken it over being the ship of CB choice. I would just grind the silver Petro line instead and save the steel, the Petro is very strong but boring. 

Bourg is a great ship that has faults but copes with the current meta and WGs bad directions. My fav tier 10 BB as its something different and when prayed correctly, brutal. 

Somms is my go to torp boat but I dont have many others like the shimmy to compare it with (not a torp boat fan).  I really like it. 

Shiki is pointless IMHO when you can get a Yam. 

FDR is a pure damage farmer if you like that sort of thing. Slow and boring. BB killer. 

I'm sitting on 34000 steel and have the FDR, Shiki and Plymouth left and I don't fancy any of them. If I wanted to farm salt then the FDR but I can't stand rework CVs, their brain numbing. 

I'm waiting out for something better in time. 

So... If i was you and know what I know now, I would get the silver Pedro and save the steel for sure. 

• Cool 1

[SVX]
Players
1,850 posts
20,871 battles
15 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Somehow i find that hard to believe, alltho ive heard the same stuff. I guess its 3x SU tryhard divs with US DD smoking that Austin up and then let it rain death from smoke.

The only thing i wonder is, how easy does it get killed. It has only 30k HP and standard heal.

Smolensk has more guns with better reload, even with the reload booster. I also assume, Smolensk has far superior gunarcs, which let you hit stuff at 16km. Not sure if buffing 15km austin range with rangemod make any sense? But we will see i guess, there are no gun characteristics available on wowsft for Austin...

Austin has 1% higher firechance,but less shells and slower reload, so Smolensk even starts more fires.

If we look at SAP performance, we could compare it to Minotaur, and that has better performance aswell?

Dunno... i just cant see Austin being OP, unless it has no citadel and Smolensk-like railguns (which i doubt).

me and a friend where playing venezia in divison we meet a divison of 2 austin. austin died i 3 venezia salvos! 

[_3OO_]
Players
387 posts
58,245 battles

go for bourgone i simply love that ship has a difficult play style but at least is not borring if you like bbs :P image.thumb.png.aae084f45ffbb1489e70db945535841a.png

[TOFTC]
Players
1,674 posts
5,809 battles
19 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Plymouth = kinda interesting. Its like putting an Edinburgh together with a Smoke and Radar Mino into one bowl, and you get a Smoke + radar 16 gun DD shredding platform.

I am considering to get that one as my first steel ship actually.
How do you feel that it performs in randoms?
Does it look like a contender for competitive (CB) play as well, or is the current meta ("don't take CLs") still a thing that will prevent it from shining?

[CHEFT]
Players
12,690 posts
10,677 battles
2 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

I am considering to get that one as my first steel ship actually.
How do you feel that it performs in randoms?
Does it look like a contender for competitive (CB) play as well, or is the current meta ("don't take CLs") still a thing that will prevent it from shining?

image.thumb.png.2386a281b2b54fa09393635879143c55.png

Its not really a damage dealer, but its insanely strong against DDs. The biggest weakness are the horrible turret angles, which means you have to basicly go flat broadside to use all your guns. In that sense, radar Mino is a bit easier while fighting DDs, because you can use your guns better (and ofc faster reload). But Plymouth has the smoke to disengage or start farming BBs (if BBs would actually move up these days...)

I recommend rangemod, the base 15,3km is not enough these days, atleast for me. 17,7km gives a bit more options, especially when smoking up and everyone instantly turns away. I think the fist 5 or 6 games i played with reload mod, and my average was 60-70k somewhere. After swapping to range, i got a couple 120k+ games aswell, because getting a bit more dakka action:cap_rambo:

I doubt itll be good for competetive, because the radar is only 9km (1km less than radar mino). If its CV meta, then everyone camps in the back, if for some reason its not CVs, you still get 12km balanz-radar, and AP only means = 0 damage against Petro-tank-lovsk. Without CVs, Radar Mino would probably be the stronger pick aswell.

• Cool 1

[TOFTC]
Players
1,674 posts
5,809 battles
11 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

image.thumb.png.2386a281b2b54fa09393635879143c55.png

Its not really a damage dealer, but its insanely strong against DDs. The biggest weakness are the horrible turret angles, which means you have to basicly go flat broadside to use all your guns. In that sense, radar Mino is a bit easier while fighting DDs, because you can use your guns better (and ofc faster reload). But Plymouth has the smoke to disengage or start farming BBs (if BBs would actually move up these days...)

I recommend rangemod, the base 15,3km is not enough these days, atleast for me. 17,7km gives a bit more options, especially when smoking up and everyone instantly turns away. I think the fist 5 or 6 games i played with reload mod, and my average was 60-70k somewhere. After swapping to range, i got a couple 120k+ games aswell, because getting a bit more dakka action:cap_rambo:

I doubt itll be good for competetive, because the radar is only 9km (1km less than radar mino). If its CV meta, then everyone camps in the back, if for some reason its not CVs, you still get 12km balanz-radar, and AP only means = 0 damage against Petro-tank-lovsk. Without CVs, Radar Mino would probably be the stronger pick aswell.

Thanks for the reply, I had the same feeling that she would struggle in CBs unfortunately.
Think I'll just hold on to my steel from now then, as the only DD seems kinda "meh", and I dislike Stalingrad alltogether.

Sign in to follow this