You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
llHEROll

Name calling and abuse

92 comments in this topic

[EIRE]
Players
41 posts
11,631 battles

i am so tired of the name calling and abuse in this game. eg i sunk 3 ships, and guy on my team with no kills calling me names and telling me to unistall. this is really putting me off play this game. WG needs to come down harder on abusive people

• Cool 8
  • Funny 15
  • Boring 5
  • Angry 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,231 posts
14,029 battles
3 minutes ago, llHEROll said:

i am so tired of the name calling and abuse in this game. eg i sunk 3 ships, and guy on my team with no kills calling me names and telling me to unistall. this is really putting me off play this game. WG needs to come down harder on abusive people

Report a ticket. It's the one thing they do act on.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
167 posts
1,005 battles

I mean, I can understand your point... but try not to take it too personally... it's not worth it, you don't even know the guy.

• Cool 6

[NWP]
Players
3,505 posts
17,830 battles

Using 'I sank 3 ships' vs 'guy sank none' is, without further context, a useless statement. 

That being said: use the report button. And if you really think he/she crossed a line you can send a replay to one of the XG staff on these forums.

• Cool 8

[LEEUW]
Players
2,946 posts
10,579 battles

Wows Rule No1: you're either a sweaty tryhard or a dumb potato in the other players eyes. 

• Cool 8
  • Funny 4

[VIBES]
Players
633 posts
19,278 battles
Just now, SV_Kompresor said:

grow a thicker skin and not be a snowflake

I don't want to go on a sermon here, but I think that word gets thrown around too carelessly.

I find it puzzling, for instance, how in some Youtube comment sections people complain about "snowflakes" today being easily offended, while in other comment sections, e.g. of videos from 1950s tv programs, users admire the good manners (and ample vocabulary) that were standard back then.

I've seen my fair share of interviews of WW2 veterans, people who grew up in a depression and saw a far more brutal world than the one we're currently living in. They obviously had a thicker skin than we do, on average. Yet they were by and large polite and respectful. They often had less education, but better manners.

Cheers.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
807 posts

Sinking 3 ships doesn’t necessarily win games..... it may actually loose games if that’s all you do.

Other than that, hide your stats.... and if too annoyed, you can just disable the chat.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,946 posts
10,579 battles
15 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

Yet they were by and large polite and respectful. 

If the internet had existed back then they'd have behaved the same online as people today do. It's simply inherently in bedded in the internet: when people can be ***** to each other and they can do so without consequences and from a point of complete anonimity, they will. 

Generalistic phrases like "people had manners back in those days.." make my eyes roll. That's what litteraly every old person says about older generations. 

• Cool 13
  • Bad 1

[OGHF]
Players
1,332 posts
23,768 battles

If you are getting personal abuse and the name calling is more than idiot, Noob etc then Screen shot the chat box and raise a ticket against the player. If you get a message in port from a player screen shot and raise a ticket.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,994 posts
10,174 battles
26 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

I don't want to go on a sermon here, but I think that word gets thrown around too carelessly.

I find it puzzling, for instance, how in some Youtube comment sections people complain about "snowflakes" today being easily offended, while in other comment sections, e.g. of videos from 1950s tv programs, users admire the good manners (and ample vocabulary) that were standard back then.

I've seen my fair share of interviews of WW2 veterans, people who grew up in a depression and saw a far more brutal world than the one we're currently living in. They obviously had a thicker skin than we do, on average. Yet they were by and large polite and respectful. They often had less education, but better manners.

Cheers.

Being disrespectful over the internet is far easier than in person. The lack of access to it decades ago is most likely the reason.

[VIBES]
Players
633 posts
19,278 battles
2 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Generalistic phrases like "people had manners back in those days.." make my eyes roll. That's what litteraly every old person says about older generations. 

They definitely had better manners on tv, though we can make what we want of that.

My point was simply that "what the world is like" has nothing to do with manners.

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
633 posts
19,278 battles
3 minutes ago, SV_Kompresor said:

Being disrespectful over the internet is far easier than in person. The lack of access to it decades ago is most likely the reason.

We're going on a tangent here, but tv language was definitely more polite (or prudish, if you will) decades ago, internet or not.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,135 posts
8,900 battles

Just turn the tables and make the conversation be about them rather then you. 

Players
919 posts
6,026 battles
39 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Wows Rule No1: you're either a sweaty tryhard or a dumb potato in the other players eyes. 

what happened to sweaty potato or dumb tryhard?

[0KILL]
Players
96 posts
1 hour ago, llHEROll said:

Screenshot of the insults and then file a ticket... that's the way...but in-game swearing shouldn't bother you, just let them talk!

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles
2 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

And what do you think they would tell the dead-eye sniping Yamato at the J-line while they command the Fletcher in the cap baiting radars and dodging torps? WoWs has an awfully large amount of non-performers. Players that seemingly don't want to play the game but still press the big red button at the top of their screen. Often tenthousands of times. It's not entirely their fault as WG has missed the opportunity to teach them how to play as well as punishing this behaviour but these players deserve to be called out every day of the week.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
7,273 posts
11,668 battles
3 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

It seem to go hand in hand. Just a few days ago, I read about some research beeing done, that points into the direction (cutting short here), that if people never experiance the negative sides of social interaction, like dealing with conflicts or even hardship, they lack empathy towards other people and thus are cold and cruel themself. I mean it sounds kinda logical to me. So by shielding people from bad experiances and creating echo chambers, we raise an emotionally cruel generation... its possible?

OP is kinda proving this. He wants to deny people the right to play the game at all, just because someone wrote something harsh to him on the internet. baffling.

• Cool 5

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,087 posts
9,530 battles

I am never called Names or get Abused in Chat....

Well. Maybe because I barely ever Read the Chat.....

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[VIBES]
Players
633 posts
19,278 battles
36 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

If people never experiance the negative sides of social interaction, like dealing with conflicts or even hardship, they lack empathy towards other people and thus are cold and cruel themself...

So by shielding people from bad experiances and creating echo chambers, we raise an emotionally cruel generation... its possible?

Yup, that seems perfectly plausible.

What I'm saying is that, since I've come across both people who see "snowflakes who are easily triggered/have thin skin" everywhere, and people who say "back then we had manners", I'm just confused as to the whole thing, so I tend to avoid the term "snowflake" altogether. Were people really more polite (less prone to offend one another) or is it that they had thicker skin (less prone to get offended)? I dunno.

I'm a millennial, so not really old enough to say "back then", "before the internet", or whatever. I just think we should call it rudeness on one side, not snowflakeness (I guess) on the other.

Cheers :)

[TU]
Players
477 posts
11,831 battles
17 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Well. Maybe because I barely ever Read the Chat.....

I agree.

If you are taking notice of the chat you are not concentrating on the task in hand.

The mini map is on the right of the screen pay more attention to that, and ignore the drivel on the left.

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
Players
904 posts
15,355 battles

There is always going to be a level of trash talk in a game where statistics are used as a means of measuring the caliber of your skill. It is simpler to blame others for your failure then to self analyze your failings. 

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,097 posts
11,677 battles

Please ignore petty insults.  You will receive petty insults if you are on the Internet.  That is what the Internet is like.

• Cool 1