Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mich_del_Cast

Maintain aim while on free view

13 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
4,342 battles

Hey, I have this recurring problem. I aim in binoculars and keeping the lmb pressed I press rmb to 3rd person view. When I steer now left or right, the guns move with the ship rather than staying on target where I aimed them in binocular view. When releasing the rmb my aim is still correct, only then the turrets start turning to match with my aim again. In videos of other players I see this not happening. They aim, go free view, keep shooting and although steering maintaining their guns on their predetermined target... thx for help

[ONE2]
Players
3,144 posts
24,050 battles

Dude...: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Controls

Ctrl+X: Armament: locked on bearing. The armament (main guns or torpedo launchers) is locked onto a point relative to the ship.

Do not forget to press it again to release the lock though or your shots into another target will miss horribly. :Smile_smile:

AND ABOVE ALL, READ THE WIKI AND PROSPER!!! :cap_book:

image.png.8e370bbd27f2b5fc10d21acfd5b2d5c3.png

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[THIR]
Players
944 posts
4,626 battles

He doesn't want to lock his guns on a bearing but on a target and WoWs normally does this simply by locking a target and holding mouse 2.

Edit:

Check the battle camera settings under controls in the options menu. I have everything activated except 'Limit camera angle to torpedo lauchers' and 'Invert Y-Axis' and it works for me.

Edit2:

The target must be locked for this to work. Check target lock by pressing X.

• Cool 3

Players
1,984 posts
12,575 battles

You can use Shift + X to lock on sector. This is very useful if you aim at a ship that goes dark behind an island and it would completely throw off your aim.

CTRL + X locks the guns on bearing ... SHIFT + X locks the guns on sector. However, with lock on sector you will have the dispersion penalty, because you are not logged on to a target. But still, it let you shoot over the island instead of into the island or you can blindfire a stationary target, for example based on last known position from inside a smoke screen without vision.

I've quickly made this Training Room demonstration video that shows how it works. Notice that i aim at the Montana, then press SHIFT+X. Notice that i'm not locked onto the target anymore but also look at the minimap, see the aim circle stays on target. I then smoke up and move the ship, you see the crosshair on the screen has a different position of where my shells land, look at the minimap, the aim circle stays on target regardless. Then i press SHIFT+X again and you see how the shells suddenly land where i aim, also the minimap aim circle moves away from the Montana.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
314 posts
10,685 battles
18 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

You can use Shift + X to lock on sector.

This is not what OP is asking about.

• Bad 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,417 posts
9,841 battles
10 hours ago, Mich_del_Cast said:

Hey, I have this recurring problem. I aim in binoculars and keeping the lmb pressed I press rmb to 3rd person view. When I steer now left or right, the guns move with the ship rather than staying on target where I aimed them in binocular view. When releasing the rmb my aim is still correct, only then the turrets start turning to match with my aim again. In videos of other players I see this not happening. They aim, go free view, keep shooting and although steering maintaining their guns on their predetermined target... thx for help

Can you upload a replay maybe?

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,005 posts
10,174 battles

It's possible that your target got unlocked after you looked around and your guns stopped following it. That's what happens to me every now and then.

[THESO]
Players
7,980 posts
41,010 battles

I think it's about the right mouse button that gives you opportunity to target and shoot the enemy while looking at your surrounding to dishes torps or incoming fire. 

[ENUF_]
Players
631 posts
23,443 battles

2092669697_Trackthelockedtarget.png.7ed35403efa2d7d2c73ca3fdd9e55633.png

in the settings has to be active for this to work.

Does anyone know if you can bind this to a key, so you can press a button to switch it on and off without going into the settings menu?

Players
1,984 posts
12,575 battles
1 hour ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

Does anyone know if you can bind this to a key, so you can press a button to switch it on and off without going into the settings menu?

Not in WoWs directly afaik, but you can do it easily with a short AutoHotkey script. However, make sure this is not considered a cheat.

[THESO]
Players
4,851 posts

If you are shooting a locked target and then go to free look, the system should follow the target as long as it does not change course or speed. It works for me.

The purpose of this is to look around in free look while you keep shooting the target.

So it should also work for you.

Sign in to follow this