Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Smartest WoWs related Internet action I ever took - I got myself a dedicated paid VPN connection to once and for all fix the annoying WoWs connection problems that sometimes happen...

5 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,392 posts
20,484 battles

Hi all,

Smartest WoWs related Internet action I ever took - I got myself a dedicated paid VPN connection to once and for all fix the annoying WoWs connection problems that sometimes happen...

Ever since I had constant WoWs Internet problems around Christmas 2019 I play WoWs with PINGPlotter in the background.

My thread about it from 1+ years ago:

What I did notice in all countless PINGPlotter examples is that problem occurs (99.99% of time) in the last hops before the data packets reach the WG servers.

That indicated to me that, somehow, my ISP, which is perfectly good and fast (pure fiber optics = 250-500 Mbit/s connection up/down), and WG sometimes do not align well (again even though everything else is working perfectly fine and fast at the same time) - only the WoWs packets get lost... :Smile_sad:

So... I bought dedicated paid VPN (I will not advertise the brand - but it is the one of the best ones available)... :Smile_coin:

Whenever I see, via PINGPlotter, that I have "red vertical lines" (i.e. WoWs packets lost - 99.99% of time in the last hops before the data packets reach the WG servers) I exit the WoWs and connect to VPN choosing the server farms of my VPN provider in near-by countries (mostly Austria and/or Germany).

This fixes my problem in 100% of times whilst maintaining absolutely fast PING response of around 30ms (i.e. it is indistinguishable between connection to WoWs via VPN in country near-by or by using my original ISP whole way).

Sometimes the last hops also suffer in VPN - but then, I simply switch to another country (i.e. another server farm of my VPN provider) and check the situation until I find OK path!

In all cases the problem is always (99.99% of time) in the last hops before the data packets reach the WG servers - and those always differ depending on whether I am using my original ISP whole way or server farm of my VPN provider in near-by countries.

The only reasonable conclusion is that, somehow, different ISPs sometimes have intermediate problems with WoWs servers regardless of your actual European location. :Smile_izmena:

In the end I can wholeheartedly recommend that you get dedicated paid VPN if your means allow it (3 Euros per month is usual fee) - you will not regret it if you have concessional problems with WoWs that simply can't be fixed on your end! :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

I forgot to add that I got my dedicated paid VPN in the early fall of last year.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
2,215 posts
13,278 battles
2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

So... I bought dedicated paid VPN (I will not advertise the brand - but it is the one of the best ones available)

Using a VPN is generally a good idea with all the junk, tracking, malicious crap going on on the internet. I assume you refer to Surfshark (going by the mentioned 3 bucks/month). They are fairly new on the VPN market and ridiculously cheap compared to the other top VPNs that usually cost 3 to 5 times more, but i haven't heard anything negative about them yet other than their kinda low amount of servers which could become a future problem, if their membership suddenly explodes due to the low price and aggressive marketing to get more customers. But until then, 👍 to VPNs.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,392 posts
20,484 battles

Hi all,

Just now, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Using a VPN is generally a good idea with all the junk, tracking, malicious crap going on on the internet. I assume you refer to Surfshark (going by the mentioned 3 bucks/month). They are fairly new on the VPN market and ridiculously cheap compared to the other top VPNs that usually cost 3 to 5 times more, but i haven't heard anything negative about them yet other than their kinda low amount of servers which could become a future problem, if their membership suddenly explodes due to the low price and aggressive marketing to get more customers. But until then, 👍 to VPNs.

No... my VNP is one old and well esstablished / known one... and it is really just 3 Euros per month... I got nice deal last year early fall...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Players
298 posts
22,366 battles

Having some lag sometimes or a 6 seconds freeze in port does happen sometimes.

No need for VPN etc in Holland, fast internet good computer.

Still hope your issues got resolved now :).

Greetz

Sign in to follow this