StringWitch

Can the game size be reduced?

6 comments in this topic

Question

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,607 posts

System requirements say the game takes 86.8 GB, a number which is ever-increasing as new content is added, and that has become a bit of a barrier to me wanting to reinstall the game. I don't imagine there is an option for a minimal installation (eg. only min res. textures), but are there files that could be deleted or reformatted after installation?

For example, some of the game's archives which have a weird file extension could actually be ZIP files (this is somewhat commonly done for some reason) which could be recompressed slower/smaller than they were originally done (like LZMA method with max dictionary & word size).

5 answers to this question

[CHEFT]
[CHEFT]
Players
1,395 posts
27,404 battles

Uninstalling works miracles! 

You can delete the "updates" folder and all but the last folder in the "bin" folder.

• Cool 1

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,481 posts
7,310 battles

The game itself needs about 45-50 GB, the full download is about 35 GB. You only need more than 80GB for warships during the installation, after installation the downloaded, compressed data is deleted because it's been unpacked during installation.

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,607 posts
52 minutes ago, floribe2000 said:

The game itself needs about 45-50 GB, the full download is about 35 GB. You only need more than 80GB for warships during the installation, after installation the downloaded, compressed data is deleted because it's been unpacked during installation.

I see. The requirement listing isn't very clear about that. It reads:

Installation file size: 6.2 MB.

During installation, 37.8 GB of files are downloaded additionally.

Space needed on the hard disk for game installation: 86.8 GB.

I interpreted this as saying it would download 37.8 GB, and after unpacking the final game size would be 86.8 GB, with a total of up to 124.6 GB required temporarily for the installation process. If as a moderator you know who to forward this post to so the space requirements might get rewritten for clarity, please do so, thank you.

Players
5,398 posts
24,445 battles

I don't think that game reinstall is needed, when there is in game check and repair tool which works fine. Anyway game could be copied anywhere and runs  without installation process too.

btw. on my computer World of Warships directory has now 61 GB.

• Cool 1

Players
2,215 posts
13,278 battles

A while ago i made a guide on how to use Windows compression to save disk space: 

Other options you can use is to install the game on an external drive or USB stick and run the game from there - works without problem. You can also combine Parts 2 of the guide with the external drive to outsource only a part of the large files.