17 comments in this topic

Question

Players
14 posts
212 battles

good afternoon/evening all 

im a brand new playe to this game and i have some questions if thats alright

as i dont really know how the game works yet or how to play it

what nation would you lads recommend for a new player and what line is best beginner friendly , battleships looks cool but not sure if they are easy to play with

and if there are any tips you think would help i would love to hear them 

thanks in advance 

greetings 

a new sailor

• Cool 1

16 answers to this question

[-ENF-]
114 posts
2,160 battles

Hey there captain, and welcome to World of warships - And its forums :cap_like:

Generally, each nation plays their classes differently from the others - US navy usually likes prefers a bit of range, where the german's prefer to be a bit closer. 

My advice here is to try out different nations - and the different classes, in order to figure out which playstyle fits you the best! :cat_cool:

Tips is, never just put your ship on full speed, full ahead straight into your enemies - Plan your route and battleplan, in the start of the match! 
also, in World of warships, there is no real "end-game" - Which means, you dont have to rush towards the Tier X ships. While they are fun to play, you should stick to tier 4-8 (IV - VIII) and get a feeling for the game and the mechanics, before you get into a Tier X ship, as you will meet a bit more skilled players there, than in the lower levels!

Cruisers is the most forgiving ships in the game, you have a decent speed and firepower - It's kinda the middle thing between Destroyers and battleships. The cruisers will teach you how to position yourself, aim, and sometimes even how to fire torpedos. 

Destroyers focus alot on spotting, capturing and torpedo damage. Some does have really excellent guns though! 

Battleships are the tanks of the battlefield - Big, tanky, slow, but with enourmous firepower! :cap_rambo:

I hope you find the ship, nation and role that fits you, and should you have any questions, feel free to search the forums or make a thread. :crab:

Kind regards,

-"Moxy"- :cap_cool:

[CATS]
Players
32,474 posts
16,249 battles

The lines of a nation play very differently. Therefore there is no beginner nation.

Generally it is advised to start with cruisers, as this teaches you how to aim your guns and some basics about positioning.

Good cruiser lines for beginners are the US or russian cruisers.

When you want to learn about Battleships, play the US or japanese Battleships.

When you are interested in Destroyers, start with the japanese ones.

• Cool 1

Players
1,251 posts
4,408 battles

Do not die yourself up the tiers. The higher tier ships may be "better", but the competition will be better also and shred you to pieces. Many players advance too early, I did this mistake myself. Learn how to play properly, try to win games and contribute to a victory. Try to cause at least the damage in the height of your own ship's HP. Check your stats frequently on WoWS numbers. Being ignorant and learning-resistant is the most toxic part of this game's community. There are far too many players with several thousands (!) of battles that know it all better, refuse to learn, insult the team but still sail every ship and every class with deep red statistics. Do not be someone like this. It's like fighting for your right joining a football game, but refusing to play, because being part of all of this is already enough for you. It is not "fun" for the rest of your team, having to rely on players that do not care at all.

Do not get into the temptation to buy premium ship over premium ship early on.

WG does not care about players cashing their way into the higher tiers at all - unfortunately. This massively damages the game's and WG's reputation and makes many players leave because of pure frustration. You could even buy tier X ships with legendary modules which players grinded for a rather long time. But new players do not understand how to play them properly. This will cause additional frustration for everyone involved.

I am telling you this, because I have also made many mistakes (and still make them). And it is far more enjoyable to know what you are doing. Don't lose the will to learn. WG games seem easy on the surface, but mastering them means several hundreds or even thousands of battles to fully understand the mechanics.

There are many friendly people out here, so don't hesitate to ask whatever comes up your mind. Welcome!

• Cool 3

Players
14 posts
212 battles
17 minutes ago, Von_Pruss said:

Do not die yourself up the tiers. The higher tier ships may be "better", but the competition will be better also and shred you to pieces. Many players advance too early, I did this mistake myself. Learn how to play properly, try to win games and contribute to a victory. Try to cause at least the damage in the height of your own ship's HP. Check your stats frequently on WoWS numbers. Being ignorant and learning-resistant is the most toxic part of this game's community. There are far too many players with several thousands (!) of battles that know it all better, refuse to learn, insult the team but still sail every ship and every class with deep red statistics. Do not be someone like this. It's like fighting for your right joining a football game, but refusing to play, because being part of all of this is already enough for you. It is not "fun" for the rest of your team, having to rely on players that do not care at all.

Do not get into the temptation to buy premium ship over premium ship early on.

WG does not care about players cashing their way into the higher tiers at all - unfortunately. This massively damages the game's and WG's reputation and makes many players leave because of pure frustration. You could even buy tier X ships with legendary modules which players grinded for a rather long time. But new players do not understand how to play them properly. This will cause additional frustration for everyone involved.

I am telling you this, because I have also made many mistakes (and still make them). And it is far more enjoyable to know what you are doing. Don't lose the will to learn. WG games seem easy on the surface, but mastering them means several hundreds or even thousands of battles to fully understand the mechanics.

There are many friendly people out here, so don't hesitate to ask whatever comes up your mind. Welcome!

alright , thanks for the headsup , i wasnt planning to go above 5 in the first place to learn it more.

im just gonna relax and enjoy the game , to hard grinding isnt really fun i suspect

,thanks a lot for the information , ill keep it in mind o7

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,521 posts
16,109 battles
On 2/18/2021 at 7:53 AM, major_Gspot said:

if there are any tips you think would help i would love to hear them

Besides what the others said, did you use an invite code when you started your account? If not, suggest doing so (if it isn't too late) - it'll give you some useful freebies.

Players
14 posts
212 battles
17 hours ago, Immoxb said:

Hey there captain, and welcome to World of warships - And its forums :cap_like:

Generally, each nation plays their classes differently from the others - US navy usually likes prefers a bit of range, where the german's prefer to be a bit closer. 

My advice here is to try out different nations - and the different classes, in order to figure out which playstyle fits you the best! :cat_cool:

Tips is, never just put your ship on full speed, full ahead straight into your enemies - Plan your route and battleplan, in the start of the match! 
also, in World of warships, there is no real "end-game" - Which means, you dont have to rush towards the Tier X ships. While they are fun to play, you should stick to tier 4-8 (IV - VIII) and get a feeling for the game and the mechanics, before you get into a Tier X ship, as you will meet a bit more skilled players there, than in the lower levels!

Cruisers is the most forgiving ships in the game, you have a decent speed and firepower - It's kinda the middle thing between Destroyers and battleships. The cruisers will teach you how to position yourself, aim, and sometimes even how to fire torpedos. 

Destroyers focus alot on spotting, capturing and torpedo damage. Some does have really excellent guns though! 

Battleships are the tanks of the battlefield - Big, tanky, slow, but with enourmous firepower! :cap_rambo:

I hope you find the ship, nation and role that fits you, and should you have any questions, feel free to search the forums or make a thread. :crab:

Kind regards,

-"Moxy"- :cap_cool:

thanks a lot for the information good sir o7 , ill keep it in mind whilest i sail into higher levels :) 

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
1,213 posts
22,932 battles
On 2/18/2021 at 3:16 PM, major_Gspot said:

i wasnt planning to go above 5 in the first place to learn it more.

I'd make that tier 4 for a bit.

Tier 4 ships play at most against T5 ships, which is manageable.

Tier 5 ships lose this priviledge and they're often up against T7 ships, which completely outclass them. For instance, T7 battleships can simply shoot Armor Piercing shells through the bows of many T5 battleships, making angling irrelevant.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend:

- French cruisers (good speed and fire chance, they get a nice gun layout very early on)

- Soviet destroyers (lots of fun at low tiers: they teach you about cap contesting, torpedo rushes and ambushes, knife-fights and using smokescreens offensively)

[SM0KE]
Players
7,521 posts
16,109 battles
On 2/18/2021 at 7:53 AM, major_Gspot said:

what nation would you lads recommend for a new player and what line is best beginner friendly , battleships looks cool but not sure if they are easy to play with

My usual advice is to start with the the US and IJN lines (all of them, possibly excepting the new BBs), as they're the 'original' nations in the game, and represent the most 'gimmick-free' lines to learn the basics with.

That said, the lower tiers are pretty easy/cheap to unlock and purchase, so there is a lot to be said for playing as many different low tier things as possible; quite apart from anything else, it's often easier to play against something is you've played that ship (or something like it) yourself.

Besides all classes of the US/IJN trees, the Germans are worth a look (again, all classes) as a 'third' nation, and probably the Russians too (I found their cruisers to be quite useful learning tools, as the short torp range forced me to focus on gunnery more and their guns have forgiving flat arcs)...

WG Staff
2,959 posts
968 battles
On 2/18/2021 at 1:53 PM, major_Gspot said:

good afternoon/evening all 

im a brand new playe to this game and i have some questions if thats alright

as i dont really know how the game works yet or how to play it

and if there are any tips you think would help i would love to hear them 

thanks in advance 

greetings 

a new sailor

Thanks to all of you for your fantastic suggestions Captains: it is the best welcoming!  

I would suggest you also take a look also to our series of the tutorial "How it Works", it can be pretty helpful 😊.

• Cool 1

Players
14 posts
212 battles
20 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

I'd make that tier 4 for a bit.

Tier 4 ships play at most against T5 ships, which is manageable.

Tier 5 ships lose this priviledge and they're often up against T7 ships, which completely outclass them. For instance, T7 battleships can simply shoot Armor Piercing shells through the bows of many T5 battleships, making angling irrelevant.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend:

- French cruisers (good speed and fire chance, they get a nice gun layout very early on)

- Soviet destroyers (lots of fun at low tiers: they teach you about cap contesting, torpedo rushes and ambushes, knife-fights and using smokescreens offensively)

ive started french cruisers atm , they are quite fun

destroyers i havent tried yet , afraid i will be quite bad at it :p but ive got to try at some point :p 

thanks for the info good sir o7

• Cool 1

Players
14 posts
212 battles
5 hours ago, Verblonde said:

My usual advice is to start with the the US and IJN lines (all of them, possibly excepting the new BBs), as they're the 'original' nations in the game, and represent the most 'gimmick-free' lines to learn the basics with.

That said, the lower tiers are pretty easy/cheap to unlock and purchase, so there is a lot to be said for playing as many different low tier things as possible; quite apart from anything else, it's often easier to play against something is you've played that ship (or something like it) yourself.

Besides all classes of the US/IJN trees, the Germans are worth a look (again, all classes) as a 'third' nation, and probably the Russians too (I found their cruisers to be quite useful learning tools, as the short torp range forced me to focus on gunnery more and their guns have forgiving flat arcs)...

ill take a look at the US and IJN , thanks for the info good sir :)

• Cool 1

Players
14 posts
212 battles
1 hour ago, TheWarJaC said:

Thanks to all of you for your fantastic suggestions Captains: it is the best welcoming!  

I would suggest you also take a look also to our series of the tutorial "How it Works", it can be pretty helpful 😊.

this is a very nice community looks like so far :) i like it 

and ill take a look at the tutorial series , didnt know they excisted :o , thanks for sharing it with me :)

Players
14 posts
212 battles

thank you very much everybody for the lovely and helpfull responses :) ive learnd a lot already thanks to you lads 

im going to take your help and tips to heart and try to learn the game further on

thanks again and i hope to see you all on the battlefield

giphy.gif

• Cool 2

[VELOS]
Players
224 posts
3,324 battles

Hello and welcome to wows!!!!

As you learn the game you will find the ships lines you are good at. Try and grind patiently and avoid using free xp to skip lines. From tier to tier the gameplay differs. 

AND THE ONLY PREMIUM TO BUY IS PREMIUM ACCOUNT AND AVOID PREMIUM SHIPS. THEY ARE USELESS IN THE CURRENT STATE OF YOURS (NEW PLAYER).

HAVE FUN!!!

WG Staff
2,959 posts
968 battles
12 hours ago, major_Gspot said:

thank you very much everybody for the lovely and helpfull responses :) ive learnd a lot already thanks to you lads 

im going to take your help and tips to heart and try to learn the game further on

thanks again and i hope to see you all on the battlefield

giphy.gif

It's nothing Captain: welcome again to the forum and to WoWs! Let's seal the seas together 😉.

Sign in to follow this