Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BOMBHEAD

Unique upgrades- Viable ?

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[-UKA-]
Beta Tester
16 posts
10,115 battles

After all the faff with the new commander skills are any of the unique upgrades worth it and if so which ones.

Aiming this at random battles mainly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,434 posts
14,139 battles

Moskva, Yamato and Des Moines are good but not worth the price if you don’t already have them.

The rest are not great IMO.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GW_KR]
Players
222 posts
21,511 battles

Generally not worth the asking price.
I'm experimenting with them, with free demount / skills reset. Quick recap of what I found so far.

Yueyang - turns into semi-gunboat. Extended smoke is bonus. Quite playble, to my surprise.

Khabarovsk - longer ranges, you screw up turning times. Slow turning is big nerf. The saving grace was that skill - artillery warning (or something) . You sit at 14 km away and turn every time the thingy flash red. If thats your cup of chay

Shimakaze - faster torp reload for slow turning of the torpedo tubes. Expected to be horrible,  turns out it's not that slow. Now I spam all the map with 20 km noobtubes. Sue me.

That is all for now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,532 posts
26,146 battles

You have to understand that there is already a precedent in nerfing them. 

 

The unique upgrades for Zao and Grozovoi have already been changed and nerfed. Because of this, spending RB points for unique upgrades only to be nerfed after are not worth it anymore. 

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BMD]
[BMD]
Players
526 posts
18,312 battles
29 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Moskva, Yamato and Des Moines are good but not worth the price if you don’t already have them.

The rest are not great IMO.

Well Gearing is still good with the legendary upgrade after the new skills have come out @gopher31

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,575 posts
15,046 battles
1 hour ago, BOMBHEAD said:

which ones.

I've found the Gearing one to be worthwhile: you basically trade some dpm for better concealment (5.6 km with full concealment build). Of course, that can be a terrible trade if you're not practiced in the art of operating with lots of radar and CVs around the place...

 

I'm currently giving the Groz one another go; the first time around, I missed the torp damage too much, but I'm liking it rather more this time (probably due to having got used to more heavy usage of the dakka with things like Smaland)...

 

The others that I have are gathering dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RODS]
Players
1,677 posts
7,760 battles

Have Yamato and Zao LM:s

Only use Yamato

I find Zao too squishy to risk the shorter range since they nerfed/removed the rudder shift part of the upgrade from its LM

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,150 posts
18,072 battles

Not worth the RP

 

Useful ones include

- gearing

- grozovoi

- harugumo

- Shimakaze

- Des Moines (i've been told - even after the changes)

- Yamato with LU and deadeye is disgusting

- Henry IV is fun.  It does a bit better He farming and a bit worse at winning games

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
4,764 posts

Why would you buy something that wg nerfs later no questions asked...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles

I quite like the Z-52 one for some bizarre reason. Guess it synergizes well with how I play that ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,126 posts
12,630 battles
14 hours ago, BOMBHEAD said:

After all the faff with the new commander skills are any of the unique upgrades worth it and if so which ones.

Aiming this at random battles mainly.

I would say same as Gopher regarding Shimakaze. Not worth grinding if you dont already have it. And it requires extreme situational awareness since you loose the torps in brown trousers moments. But the faster reload is quite nice. But after getting Somers I play Shima less and less.

 

Will try out trollish no concealment (18-19 km) and Full DPM build with Henri Legendary as well, not sure its viable tho. Would like to get these kind of games again.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-UKA-]
Beta Tester
16 posts
10,115 battles

I have the Yamato upgrade.

Other t10 are

Zoa

shimakaze

Conqueror

Minotaur

Moskva

Des Moines

Worcester

Gearing

Montana

Groser Kurfurst

Have unlocked Dearing but not bought it yet.

Have over 30k research points sat there and cant see me regrinding another line.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
992 posts

if wg/lesta would offer compensation after changing/nerfing them I could see the point ...

but as this is not happening I even don't consider it ...

btw, I got 3 before they were moved into rb - moskva, yamato and zao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,512 posts
14,700 battles

From those that I got before RB scam I use only Gearing, Shima and Yamato. I have no Moscva, probably would use it if I had it. I heard that Gorozovoi is OK too and CVs can work in some cases. But I wouldn't spend RB points on either. Save it for ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles
2 hours ago, hellhound666 said:

if wg/lesta would offer compensation after changing/nerfing them I could see the point ...

Compensation for items you obtain for free? :fish_boom:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALYEN]
Players
2,254 posts
4,129 battles

I only have 3: Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Z-52. Got them the old way via missions.

 

I would not bother with RB for ANY of them. Not worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,126 posts
12,630 battles
6 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Compensation for items you obtain for free? :fish_boom:

Well, that's not entirely true. You had to purposely invest a boat load of you free time 8and probably in many cases real money) to play and grind for those to get them. Time playing and grinding you would probably haven't done if these upgrades wasn't the final price. And then WG change it up. I can see his point but then again this is WGs entire business model these days that you can buy a product from them and in 6 month time it can be something completely different, and you wont get any refunds.

 

In no other business there is such a thing and no one would ever just accept this. Its like you buy a Porsche and 6 month later its a Fiat, and WG´s like "Well, we looked at you Porsche and even tho our whole selling pitch and advertisement for it was that it was broken/OP and overperforming now we have looked at some internal dodgy spreadsheets and decided to nerf you Porsch into a Fiat and you don't get any money back. have a good day now ...!"

 

This is why I haven't given WG a dime since 2018.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles
12 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

free? they cost ~20 000 RB's

Yes, and you can obtain RP for free by playing the game.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
992 posts
15 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Well, that's not entirely true. You had to purposely invest a boat load of you free time 8and probably in many cases real money) to play and grind for those to get them. Time playing and grinding you would probably haven't done if these upgrades wasn't the final price. And then WG change it up. I can see his point but then again this is WGs entire business model these days that you can buy a product from them and in 6 month time it can be something completely different, and you wont get any refunds.

 

In no other business there is such a thing and no one would ever just accept this. Its like you buy a Porsche and 6 month later its a Fiat, and WG´s like "Well, we looked at you Porsche and even tho our whole selling pitch and advertisement for it was that it was broken/OP and overperforming now we have looked at some internal dodgy spreadsheets and decided to nerf you Porsch into a Fiat and you don't get any money back. have a good day now ...!"

 

This is why I haven't given WG a dime since 2018.

it is too complex concept for him apparently

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles
26 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Well, that's not entirely true. You had to purposely invest a boat load of you free time 8and probably in many cases real money) to play and grind for those to get them.

Real money? Then you are doing it wrong. I have 10 and they cost me the grand total of 0 Eur.

Invest time? Yes ofc, every time you play this game you invest time. Every hobby requires you to invest time. And this grind was a voluntary one. You were not obligated to obtain these upgrades. 

26 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Time playing and grinding you would probably haven't done if these upgrades wasn't the final price. And then WG change it up.

I actually like playing the ships I got the upgrades for. So I played and got something extra for it. 

As for RP I have one line I reset and actually like playing. So even without the incentive of RP I'd still play them. 

If ofc you are without patience and want everything noaaw and faaast. Yeah, that's a burden. But that's your own doing. 

All I did was spend time on a hobby and I got free ingame stuff for that hobby.

7 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

And then WG change it up. I can see his point but then again this is WGs entire business model these days that you can buy a product from them and in 6 month time it can be something completely different, and you wont get any refunds.

Ofc not, if WG start refunding this then what's next. Refund a player for his grind to a silver tier X because WG rebalances said ship?

26 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

In no other business there is such a thing and no one would ever just accept this. Its like you buy a Porsche and 6 month later its a Fiat, and WG´s like "Well, we looked at you Porsche and even tho our whole selling pitch and advertisement for it was that it was broken/OP and overperforming now we have looked at some internal dodgy spreadsheets and decided to nerf you Porsch into a Fiat and you don't get any money back. have a good day now ...!"

If you spend money on something you can get for free, let me repeat, you are doing it wrong. So this analogy is useless here.

26 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

This is why I haven't given WG a dime since 2018.

Nor have I. Ever since CV rework was announced

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,126 posts
12,630 battles
4 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

Real money? Then you are doing it wrong. I have 10 and they cost me the grand total of 0 Eur.

Invest time? Yes ofc, every time you play this game you invest time. Every hobby requires you to invest time. And this grind was a voluntary one. You were not obligated to obtain these upgrades. 

I actually like playing the ships I got the upgrades for. So I played and got something extra for it. 

As for RP I have one line I reset and actually like playing. So even without the incentive of RP I'd still play them. 

If ofc you are without patience and want everything noaaw and faaast. Yeah, that's a burden. But that's your own doing. 

All I did was spend time on a hobby and I got free ingame stuff for that hobby.

Ofc not, if WG start refunding this then what's next. Refund a player for his grind to a silver tier X because WG rebalances said ship?

If you spend money on something you can get for free, let me repeat, you are doing it wrong. So this analogy is useless here.

Nor have I. Ever since CV rework was announced

 

Well, I would say there is 2 different kinds of players in WoW. Those who has the time to sit 40-60 hours a week and grind every grindy event on WoWs for free, Puerto Rico and all the rest of the docks, Legendary modules, RB etc etc. And then I would say you have the majority of players, who has jobs, families, other things in life then playing WoWs and for those you do have to grind a lot and play a lot but also use flags, camos, doubloons etc etc to speed up WGs grindy progressions to be able to sometime in the future actually get said ship. And that is a lot of time And money invested in this game, money that also keep this game a float (phun intended). But even when you invest some money into a thing like a video game its not that fun if that said thing suddenly morphs into something else.

 

And nothing is "now and fast" in WoW. You can ease the pain with some money, but then you actually want that thing you pay for to stay the same. Would you be ok with something you buy just change whenever the company that made the product justy "feel like it"? 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LUZ1]
Players
1,143 posts
13,772 battles

I have a job and family and am F2P. I reset 1 line when I get double points for it. So I have some 50K RP now. I will get the Ohio and then prob get the LM for Yammy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles
11 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Well, I would say there is 2 different kinds of players in WoW. Those who has the time to sit 40-60 hours a week and grind every grindy event on WoWs for free, Puerto Rico and all the rest of the docks, Legendary modules, RB etc etc. And then I would say you have the majority of players, who has jobs, families, other things in life then playing WoWs and for those you do have to grind a lot and play a lot but also use flags, camos, doubloons etc etc to speed up WGs grindy progressions to be able to sometime in the future actually get said ship. And that is a lot of time And money invested in this game, money that also keep this game a float (phun intended). But even when you invest some money into a thing like a video game its not that fun if that said thing suddenly morphs into something else.

I have a busy job, and WoWs is just one of my hobbies. Yet I still manage to grab the things I want for free.

I do feel a bit left out for not getting PR, but I took one look at that grind and decided it was not worth the effort.

 

WoWs is about making choices. I know I cannot get everything I want, so that leaves me with a choice: reduce my time on other hobbies to grind or spend money to brute force the issue. Neither of them appeal to me.

Thing is, I have a choice. A choice that I alone made. And I have to live with the consequences associated with these choices.

11 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

And nothing is "now and fast" in WoW. You can ease the pain with some money, but then you actually want that thing you pay for to stay the same. Would you be ok with something you buy just change whenever the company that made the product justy "feel like it"? 

Well, let's see: after dieselgate VW is altering cars, in Belgium owners get no compensation for this. Or Sonos discontinuing support to older products upon release of their new app. So it happens in real life, but I don't like to compare a virtual game environment to the real world. 

 

The thing about WoWs is: what you pay for is digital and part of a gameworld. A constantly evolving world where minor changes happen every patch. 

Of coursen WG can't push this too far. Or people would close their wallets. Hence their policy for not changing premium ships specifically. However, this is not written anywhere. It's a somewhat unwritten rule.

And this is for ships that can only be bought (generally) with real currency.  The topic here is about game commodities that can be obtained for free. The fact that some people spend real money on them is a bonus for WG, but will not stop them from changing them alltogether. Because they can be obtained for free. Moreover, in WG's narrative, these are sidegrades, not upgrades. So they don't offer an unfair advantage, just a different way to play a ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,512 posts
14,700 battles
1 hour ago, 159Hunter said:

Thing is, I have a choice. A choice that I alone made. And I have to live with the consequences associated with these choices.

Well, when the best choices we made are turned into the worst in a few months than something is wrong with the game. Demanding a compensation is maybe a little over the board but at lest some consistency within the game would be appreciated. Sadly spreadsheet probably said that WG will make more money in a muddy waters than in a clear. Constant nerfs, changes of yesterday's best into worst and the flow of new hyped OP toys nerfed soon brings them more cashflow apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×