You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

Cruisers no longer have a role

128 comments in this topic

[CHEFT]
Players
12,251 posts
9,841 battles

Not to mention playing BB is relaxing and mostly fun, because you can reliably devstrike Cruisers.

While playing Cruisers is insanely demanding, for very little gain (looking at Radar Cruisers here). Permanent CV striking/Spotting, enemy Cruisers shooting you and ofc all BBs just seeing some free snack :dance_turtle:.

• Cool 18

[SPAST]
Players
11 posts
4,740 battles

I found I tend to fail with Petro since Patch. But Alaska still feels nice. You can push crap out of the enemy team and blab broadsides satisfyingly hard. Also HE farmers are "strong" as usual (e.g. Hindenburg) in the sense that you can do ridiculous amount of damage. The usefulness of that is, of course, debatable ^^ (as it was before).

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
29,750 posts
15,320 battles
15 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Only exception is radar cruisers, but that really is the only remaining cruiser role.

Seriously, supercruisers are no longer tanky, youre just better off playing a battleship in every single way. And why in the name of satan should i play a kiting cruiser when i can just deadeye thunderer? I mean what is the point even anymore? Cause its certainly not dpm, survivability or even concealment anymore. Kiting cruisers are even further pointless since all battleships now kite, so there are no nose-in ships to farm.

Yeah, you can play cruisers after the commander rework, but i cannot find a single good reason to do so other than radar, battleships are just... better

And dont even get me started on how cruisers are pushed to lose all their concealment if they want to get a small dpm boost while battleships get their dpm boost by building concealment, it is so stupid and backwards i have no words for it.

While the skill rework does not encourage good teamplay, you can still play cruisers.

When enemy BB hang back, you have more room to move.

Survivability was never a strong point of cruisers, BB were alway better in that regard.

DPM and concealment is still better with cruiser than with BB. In combination with accuracy, cruiser are still the best support for your DD to get rid of enemy DD.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

[BOATY]
Players
881 posts
15,287 battles
19 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Only exception is radar cruisers, but that really is the only remaining cruiser role.

Seriously, supercruisers are no longer tanky, youre just better off playing a battleship in every single way. And why in the name of satan should i play a kiting cruiser when i can just deadeye thunderer? I mean what is the point even anymore? Cause its certainly not dpm, survivability or even concealment anymore. Kiting cruisers are even further pointless since all battleships now kite, so there are no nose-in ships to farm.

Yeah, you can play cruisers after the commander rework, but i cannot find a single good reason to do so other than radar, battleships are just... better

And dont even get me started on how cruisers are pushed to lose all their concealment if they want to get a small dpm boost while battleships get their dpm boost by building concealment, it is so stupid and backwards i have no words for it.

As a cruiser main I will admit playing in this rework is a struggle to say the least. I find that I am capping out just under 160k damage in most of my t10 cruisers.

I can no longer support dds trying to push caps, I could never really melt most cv attacks, and since everyone is going deadeye with 457+ I am getting overmatched every time I use my guns. It is complete [edited].

Cruisers have lost so  much DPM because of this rework. First from skills, and second from being auto nuked the moment they fire their guns. 

12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Not to mention playing BB is relaxing and mostly fun, because you can reliably devstrike Cruisers.

While playing Cruisers is insanely demanding, for very little gain (looking at Radar Cruisers here). Permanent CV striking/Spotting, enemy Cruisers shooting you and ofc all BBs just seeing some free snack :dance_turtle:.

^^^^^ can confirm factual

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
2,928 posts
5,356 battles
26 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Seriously, supercruisers are no longer tanky, youre just better off playing a battleship in every single way.

Well, there can only be 5 BBs per team, so adding what is essentially another slightly worse BB but in a cruiser slot is still not a bad deal.

I still find cruisers fun. I had to adjust my playstyle a little but a lot of the time those camping BBs give you a lot more map space to work with.

[SPAST]
Players
11 posts
4,740 battles

Actually, I change my mind regarding Hindenburg being useless. I found that you can dodge almost every BS volley on 15+ km range and such you pull a lot of empty fire on yourselve protecting targets which would actually suffer. Essentially you are a glass cannon tank countering Dead Eye campers.

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,426 posts
7,880 battles

Guys We all know WG  they have been pushing world of battle ships for some time now, sadly we have finally reached the time in this game where they just cant be arsed to hide it anymore.

On the upside radar and smoke cruisers still have a bit of life left in them so i advise taking one of those out for now before they make those useless as well.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,850 posts
6,898 battles
25 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

DPM and concealment is still better with cruiser than with BB. In combination with accuracy, cruiser are still the best support for your DD to get rid of enemy DD.

Cruiser dont have higher effective dpm than battleships anymore, they just dont. 

26 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

While the skill rework does not encourage good teamplay, you can still play cruisers.

Yeah you can play them, but theres just no reason to play them over battleships(except for some radar cruisers) Especially kiting cruisers are just straight up worse thunderers.

• Cool 2

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles
Vor 52 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

While playing Cruisers is insanely demanding, for very little gain (looking at Radar Cruisers here)

define 'little gain'... I was always playing radar cruisers chasing DDs across the map. Good WR for me with low average damage. Nothing changed here, the more DDs around the higher impact DD hunting has.

Players
1,321 posts
20,269 battles
33 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

15 minutes ago, Flosedus said:

Actually, I change my mind regarding Hindenburg being useless. I found that you can dodge almost every BS volley on 15+ km range and such you pull a lot of empty fire on yourselve protecting targets which would actually suffer. Essentially you are a glass cannon tank countering Dead Eye campers.

Basically rudder shift all the way. I haven't touched my Hindenburg for quite some time, but that's bread and butter when I play radar Minotaur, which is why I pitied the island huggers when the skill rework hit: things have become "just dodge" for any ship with less than 10" shells.

Slightly off-topic, I have yet to see a WoWS comedy video/funtage that uses Spanish "pasodobles" for all the dodging, "El Gato Montés" ("The Wildcat") in particular because of being the most iconic one when it comes to bullfighting. I'll leave it there.

Salute.

[-OOF-]
Players
423 posts
7,211 battles
5 minutes ago, kapnobathrac said:

Pick petrobattleshipovsk

"be a masochist"

[KAKE]
Players
2,788 posts
6,795 battles
49 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I'm not convinced cruisers have much in the way of DPM advantage any more. Theoretically yes, but actually turning that into useful damage is becoming more of a pain than it's worth. Between nerfs to IFHE and Demolition expert and combat generally taking place at longer ranges, most of the time I find it far easier to do more and more effective damage over the course of a match with BBs.

• Cool 2

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

I also wonder what cruisers have no role now? Hindenburg and Henry are doing fine spamming HE across the map as they always did. All 10-12km radars are doing fine. All smoke cruisers are doing fine. Don't have Zao but my Mogami still doing fine.... so who got hurt?

• Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
29,750 posts
15,320 battles
59 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Cruiser dont have higher effective dpm than battleships anymore, they just dont. 

Yeah you can play them, but theres just no reason to play them over battleships(except for some radar cruisers) Especially kiting cruisers are just straight up worse thunderers.

Depends on your target. When you chew on enemy BB all day, then probably not.

BB without support get sunk. You need someone competent to cover the middle ground. If that is not you, that is ok.

[TES6L]
Players
258 posts
11,958 battles

Cruisers are in bad position after rework,i really try to get them to work but its futile.

Sure,still can have 200k+ games in them but they just dont feel good anymore.

This game becomes pathetic campfest and going down fast. Its just not interesting anymore

GG WG

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,251 posts
9,841 battles
55 minutes ago, Perekotypole said:

define 'little gain'... I was always playing radar cruisers chasing DDs across the map. Good WR for me with low average damage. Nothing changed here, the more DDs around the higher impact DD hunting has.

Ofc in theory, hunting DDs wins games. But often its just about which team suicides harder, so i feel the overall gain is smaller than it used to be.

24 minutes ago, Perekotypole said:

I also wonder what cruisers have no role now? Hindenburg and Henry are doing fine spamming HE across the map as they always did. All 10-12km radars are doing fine. All smoke cruisers are doing fine. Don't have Zao but my Mogami still doing fine.... so who got hurt?

Why not play BB then? They deal more damage, especially more effective damage if you concider that fires can be healed more than direct shell damage.

If you sit in spawn, farm damage with a Cruiser, i dont see the difference to just picking a BB and do the same. Probably even more succesful, as its good in blapping Cruisers which dare to help their DDs. In case you need to push: BB does that better aswell.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,507 posts
27,568 battles

Battleships are new cruisers, it has been like that for a while now, this rework and new RM BB line only exacerbate this further... :Smile_sad:

[TES6L]
Players
258 posts
11,958 battles

Tragically game was batter back in days when one side can have CV while other not.

How WG manage to acomplish that?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[JRM]
Players
7,507 posts
27,568 battles
4 minutes ago, Hawker_gb said:

How WG manage to acomplish that?

That happens when your sole goal is to monetize everything you possibly can and add as much RNG in all that as you possibly can ie "the gambling simulator"

• Cool 6

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
1,026 posts

If only someone told WG this was a bad move........oh wait.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

Why not play BB then? They deal more damage, especially more effective damage if you concider that fires can be healed more than direct shell damage.

If you sit in spawn, farm damage with a Cruiser, i dont see the difference to just picking a BB and do the same. Probably even more succesful, as its good in blapping Cruisers which dare to help their DDs. In case you need to push: BB does that better aswell.

BB snipe meta means that cap importance went up, because snipe BB can go dark in most cases. So battle isn't decided by snipe BBs, 200k lost games gonna happen more often. Cruisers that can contest caps like radar and smoke, have their role increased. Island hopping is even more important. Why ppl play long range HE spammers like Hindenburg if it's so similar to Thunderer playstyle... no idea, it's similar, yet different.