Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
POIfection

Radio Location - I like.

12 comments in this topic

[SITH-]
Players
178 posts
4,643 battles

I have massively under appreciated the value of this skill. I may have tried it once or twice in the early days of my forage into DDs and then dismissed it after seemingly not getting much payback.

I took advantage of the free re-train today and decided to mount it for curiosity .. it is now on all my DD captains and I think it will stay lol.

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
2,419 posts

I don't use it on DDs because it warns the opponent that I am closer to him than his teammates, which can foil a flanking maneuvre or ambush. I prefer it on cruisers (and would love it on BBs), so they can anticipate ambushes and pre-turn their turrets.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SPURD]
Players
801 posts
5,962 battles

It's a great tool for playing aggressively. In my experience a Shimakaze goes from kinda ehhh to best boat when you pick up RPF. 

[SITH-]
Players
178 posts
4,643 battles
2 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I don't use it on DDs because it warns the opponent that I am closer to him than my teammates, which can foil a flanking maneuvre or ambush

I did not consider that, I'll bear that in mind :)

• Cool 1

[SITH-]
Players
178 posts
4,643 battles
3 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

It's a great tool for playing aggressively.

Great point, I think that's why I see the value now as I play more aggressive than I used too. 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,571 posts
15,045 battles
56 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I don't use it on DDs because it warns the opponent that I am closer to him than my teammates

Although RL can be very powerful (when used correctly), this is why I don't usually take it on my DDs; it's vaguely like when a DD triggers planes' detected warning - it doesn't telegraph exactly where you are, but it does indicate the general vicinity you're in, which is often enough.

My approach might well be different if radar and CVs weren't so prevalent though.

Players
1,152 posts
5,790 battles
1 hour ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I don't use it on DDs because it warns the opponent that I am closer to him than my teammates, which can foil a flanking maneuvre or ambush. I prefer it on cruisers (and would love it on BBs), so they can anticipate ambushes and pre-turn their turrets.

I'm running it on all dds except Kleber and Haru and would disagree with this.

The issue only arises if you torp the guy closest to you. It doesn't negatively affect other targets. Thus the only situation in which it is detrimental is in those where any halfway competent player would assume a dds presence anyways. What it does deliver though is advanced warning of someone stalking/ambushing you. And as a benefit you get info on the movement of targets hidden behind islands. 

For me the pros greatly outweigh the cons. 

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,105 posts
12,188 battles

Most underrated skill in the game....The ingame intelligence it offers is beyond compare. Previously had it on all my ships, because I'm not a play maker, I'm a play breaker......countering enemy movement and punishing mistakes is what I like doing....I'm mean this way :)

[CHEFT]
Players
12,216 posts
9,841 battles
1 hour ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I don't use it on DDs because it warns the opponent that I am closer to him than my teammates, which can foil a flanking maneuvre or ambush. I prefer it on cruisers (and would love it on BBs), so they can anticipate ambushes and pre-turn their turrets.

How many people really can triangulate the position of the ship using RPF? Sure, good players can/will know it when they get RPFed that a DD is somewhere sneaking around. But most of the playerbase wont understand that. At best, they might suddenly start running if they get the located sign.

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
2,419 posts
Vor 10 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

How many people really can triangulate the position of the ship using RPF? Sure, good players can/will know it when they get RPFed that a DD is somewhere sneaking around. But most of the playerbase wont understand that. At best, they might suddenly start running if they get the located sign.

RPF tells a target that it is the closest ship to some hidden threat. Precise triangulation is not the problem; most of the times it suffices to tell the general direction of the stalker. I do not want to know the target that I have circled around a flank unseen just to be exposed by my own RPF. And because since the rework RPF is only available to destroyers and cruisers, the number of possible emitters of this warning is reduced, so with some ships spotted the culprit can even be singled out. I play DDs, so I am paranoid by default. And I would rather be safe than sorry. :Smile_honoring:

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,096 posts
11,585 battles

I always have it on my DDs.  I've sunk many an enemy with a RPF guided blind shot.   Particularly useful to get close to a smoked up enemy and to be able to see where he is in that smoke.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,559 posts
22,154 battles

I use it on ships with which I intend to hunt enemy DDs.

I don't use it on all DDs I play, as for the points could be use for other skills on these ships.

It's nice to get RPF'd and to try to "pull" the enemy that got me located to a map edge.

It's a bit as DeadEye... if the player who uses it knows what it does and how to interpret it / activate it in the case of DE isn't a potato it can be a really useful skill. If not it's a utter waste of skill points.