Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrWastee

wanted: ol' torp acceleration skill. sincerly, asashio

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles

i'm not aware of any other ship missing that skill like this 1 (yudaachi sure miss the speedboost on torps ^^, feel free to add), but i really think it's missing. 20km torps on asashio just do feel wrong to me.

 

i always played it with that skill before and never had probs with being too much of a danger for my own team. i also yet not managed to hit one of my bb's, but "tension intensifying" with each drop from a flank now.

 

if not by other means i'd like to have at least a 16km torp module option for asashio. everything else is room for negotiation (same stats, more/less dmg, speed, visiblity and so on).

anyone else sharing this impression?

 

note: it's about the range for me, not necessarily the speed.

#1stworldproblems

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,632 posts
6,096 battles

Just make sure that there's a island between whatever you're torping and the nearest friendly and problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,469 posts
18,504 battles
1 hour ago, MrWastee said:

anyone else sharing this impression?

God yes. Yudachi desperately wants TA back. Her stock torpedoes - slow, easy to detect by enemies but with excessive range and dead eye dangerous to friendlies - were made nice and useful by TA. Really I don't want anything over 12k unless it comes with a double detection radius for friendly players.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
2 hours ago, lafeel said:

Just make sure that there's a island between whatever you're torping and the nearest friendly and problem solved.

it's more like for situations, as on north map on the west flank, coming around while other flank pushes through while setting 20km torps really can make one sweat ;D.... on the other, from discussion with a clanmate, in the backyrd bb meta and with them running range can be useful.

maybe i'm just too unused to 20km ^^...

 

 

1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

God yes. Yudachi desperately wants TA back. Her stock torpedoes - slow, easy to detect by enemies but with excessive range and dead eye dangerous to friendlies - were made nice and useful by TA. Really I don't want anything over 12k unless it comes with a double detection radius for friendly players.

torps on her can go up to 63kts atm. i really had doubt about her too, and then this just happened today (ofc *sigh* lol):

 

Yūdachi    Yūdachi VII 1 100%
Super Unicum
5 142
Super Unicum
114 616 2 0

 

i share ur view, just had to get it denied in todays match :Smile_facepalm:

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,545 posts
20,662 battles
3 hours ago, MrWastee said:

i'm not aware of any other ship missing that skill like this 1 (yudaachi sure miss the speedboost on torps ^^, feel free to add), but i really think it's missing. 20km torps on asashio just do feel wrong to me.

 

i always played it with that skill before and never had probs with being too much of a danger for my own team. i also yet not managed to hit one of my bb's, but "tension intensifying" with each drop from a flank now.

 

if not by other means i'd like to have at least a 16km torp module option for asashio. everything else is room for negotiation (same stats, more/less dmg, speed, visiblity and so on).

anyone else sharing this impression?

 

note: it's about the range for me, not necessarily the speed.

#1stworldproblems

I dont have your issues I think? You either get as close as possible to specifcally torpedo battleships that are decent, or you pick sensible lanes through wich you can torp backliners sniping and carriers.

 

image.thumb.png.cfce0cd63ae0c662da1f30ee32a0c261.png

 

On top of that, the Asasshio's detection range and 2 aft turrets with decent alpha. :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
30 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I dont have your issues I think? You either get as close as possible to specifcally torpedo battleships that are decent, or you pick sensible lanes through wich you can torp backliners sniping and carriers.

 

image.thumb.png.cfce0cd63ae0c662da1f30ee32a0c261.png

 

On top of that, the Asasshio's detection range and 2 aft turrets with decent alpha. :cap_like:

it's not like i would've have issues with the ship or the fact overall. as being said, it's more like a matter of feeling... she did let me down a bit recently, but overall it's one of my waifu's (fuso be quiet, u gotta learn how to share ^^). i didnt do tk dmg either yet on her since rework (not b4 as well), but i get that unwanted lil benefit of a doubt more nowadays so to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,127 posts
12,630 battles
7 hours ago, MrWastee said:

i'm not aware of any other ship missing that skill like this 1 (yudaachi sure miss the speedboost on torps ^^, feel free to add), but i really think it's missing. 20km torps on asashio just do feel wrong to me.

 

i always played it with that skill before and never had probs with being too much of a danger for my own team. i also yet not managed to hit one of my bb's, but "tension intensifying" with each drop from a flank now.

 

if not by other means i'd like to have at least a 16km torp module option for asashio. everything else is room for negotiation (same stats, more/less dmg, speed, visiblity and so on).

anyone else sharing this impression?

 

note: it's about the range for me, not necessarily the speed.

#1stworldproblems

 

Im somewhat of a Asashio affezionato and I tried the 16 km build so many times but always gone back to 20 km. 2 out of my 3 Solo warriors is in the Asashio and I cant tell you how many random torp hits i gotten on unspotted BBs and CVs (even CVs sunk) at 17-20 km away. I never really felt the difference in speed while playing.  

 

That said I followed Flamus advice in his latest Halland video to test the T2 torp speed to get 95 knots on Halland and DAAAAWMN those are lasers now.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
3 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

 

Im somewhat of a Asashio affezionato and I tried the 16 km build so many times but always gone back to 20 km. 2 out of my 3 Solo warriors is in the Asashio and I cant tell you how many random torp hits i gotten on unspotted BBs and CVs (even CVs sunk) at 17-20 km away. I never really felt the difference in speed while playing.  

 

That said I followed Flamus advice in his latest Halland video to test the T2 torp speed to get 95 knots on Halland and DAAAAWMN those are lasers now.

You know what... I think I'll have to try a Shimemekaze with TA slapped on F3 configuration. Normally I vastly prefer 12km torps for their versatility, but when I picture 3x5 21k damage torps travelling at 83 knots?

"Shimakaze's torpedoes are easy to dodge", they said :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,551 posts
16,307 battles
19 hours ago, MrWastee said:

i'm not aware of any other ship missing that skill like this 1 (yudaachi sure miss the speedboost on torps ^^, feel free to add), but i really think it's missing. 20km torps on asashio just do feel wrong to me.

 

i always played it with that skill before and never had probs with being too much of a danger for my own team. i also yet not managed to hit one of my bb's, but "tension intensifying" with each drop from a flank now.

 

if not by other means i'd like to have at least a 16km torp module option for asashio. everything else is room for negotiation (same stats, more/less dmg, speed, visiblity and so on).

anyone else sharing this impression?

 

note: it's about the range for me, not necessarily the speed.

#1stworldproblems

 

Sorry, this makes zero sense. Having more range is an advantage, not a disadvantage. 

 

The new 5% speed skill without the range penalty is a clear buff compared to the old TA, as it gives you almost the same speed but still enables you to utilize the 20km range against backline BBs, CVs and to torpedo choke points from interesting angles. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,469 posts
18,504 battles
41 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Sorry, this makes zero sense. Having more range is an advantage, not a disadvantage. 

It can be, but long-range torpedoes have a substantially greater risk of causing accidental team damage if fired on any bearing other than 45 degrees either side of dead ahead.

 

Yudachi doesn't have DWTs and so its torpedoes can...

  • run for 90 seconds
  • hit anything
  • cover up to 75% of the total area of common game maps

Which makes firing torpedoes as part of a cap contest distinctly dangerous to your own team. It's not great ship design, tbh, and the old TA skill reigned in the problem quite nicely. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
1 hour ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

Sorry, this makes zero sense. Having more range is an advantage, not a disadvantage. 

 

The new 5% speed skill without the range penalty is a clear buff compared to the old TA, as it gives you almost the same speed but still enables you to utilize the 20km range against backline BBs, CVs and to torpedo choke points from interesting angles. 

 

13 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

It can be, but long-range torpedoes have a substantially greater risk of causing accidental team damage if fired on any bearing other than 45 degrees either side of dead ahead.

 

Yudachi doesn't have DWTs and so its torpedoes can...

  • run for 90 seconds
  • hit anything
  • cover up to 75% of the total area of common game maps

Which makes firing torpedoes as part of a cap contest distinctly dangerous to your own team. It's not great ship design, tbh, and the old TA skill reigned in the problem quite nicely. 

^2nded.... if it not makes sense to one doesnt always mean there isnt none ;P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,551 posts
16,307 battles
35 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

^2nded.... if it not makes sense to one doesnt always mean there isnt none ;P

 

A substantial risk for accidental team damage because your own team could sit between 16 and 20km?

 

Sure. 

 

 

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
16 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

A substantial risk for accidental team damage because your own team could sit between 16 and 20km?

 

Sure. 

 

 

 

i described the experienced situation i think pretty well. if u never come to push a flank on asashio (herd bb's), while ur other flank pushes through, well... maybe one day u will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,551 posts
16,307 battles
34 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

i described the experienced situation i think pretty well. if u never come to push a flank on asashio (herd bb's), while ur other flank pushes through, well... maybe one day u will

 

I think I do pretty well in both Asashio and Asashio B and you still have no point. 20km range is clearly better - not worse - than 16km and you are simply delusional. 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
13 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

I think I do pretty well in both Asashio and Asashio B and you still have no point. 20km range is clearly better than 16km and you are simply delusional. 

lol, just for the sake of it or woat?! u can cuddle ur 20's allday long and luv it, won't change anything about my very own perception. and thx, i do so as well on both of em, and that on simple 16's eversince.... so woats ur point lol? u don't think they need nther option? fine, i do. njoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,551 posts
16,307 battles
5 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

lol, just for the sake of it or woat?! u can cuddle ur 20's allday long and luv it, won't change anything about my very own perception. and thx, i do so as well on both of em, and that on simple 16's eversince.... so woats ur point lol? u don't think they need nther option? fine, i do. njoy

 

I simply don't understand why you make a thread complaining about a plain buff to the TA skill. And that's what it is. 

 

Tell me in 2 weeks how many friendly ships you actually hit that were sitting between 16 and 20km, and how many enemy ships you hit at that range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
10 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

I simply don't understand why you make a thread complaining about a plain buff. And that's what it is. 

 

Tell me in 2 weeks how many friendly ships you actually hit that were sitting between 16 and 20km.

some perceive it as buff, others as the removal of options? just the same with short range shima torps... there's people out there actually using those (with sucess? no idea actually atm). now, if weegee removed that option, wouldn't that oppose these people? no matter if f.e. myself wouldn't share their approach on playing shima?

 

it indeed is a nerf on torp speed here as well. at least in a minor range, as they're fast anyway (doesnt change the reduction). so, essentially here 5kts (*in new skills i think it's 4kts?) been traded for 4km range. i said that for me it indeed is about the range itself, anything else is room for negotiation. so, less range/more dmg, -/*speed, /better concealment, /whatever.

 

i simply don't need the 4km's more at all. i more see a danger in it than a chance, even in nowadays bb running meta 16km is just perfect fine for me.

so, conclusive, it's basically the removal of my fav option buggering me here.

 

if u always yet played asashio with 20's u didnt lose anything/nothing changed 4 u? it did 4 me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,551 posts
16,307 battles

It's TLDR for the whole range thing, sorry. 

 

If you want to talk about the new TA skill, how about the fact that it is now a percentage based speed increase? Hating that about it is way more reasonable than hating the removal of the range penalty. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,912 posts
25,903 battles
3 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

It's TLDR for the whole range thing, sorry. 

 

If you want to talk about the new TA skill, how about the fact that it is now a percentage based speed increase? Hating that about it is way more reasonable than hating the removal of the range penalty. 

while i totally agree on the %-part in any regard, as i said, for me something reamarkably did change.... on ships on which, all in all, i do have appr. 300+ solo matches and +/-600 overall. this is not about the removal of any 20km option, it's about the re-addition of something else.

also i did propose to go down the lane of a ship-module, not bringing back the range penalty. as i think this would be the easiest and non harming option all in all.

now i come to the point on which i gotta wonder how one could oppose that ;P :Smile_glasses:....

 

 

edit while writing rofl:

i see, there ur concern lies. bringing back the range penalty on the new skill ^^.... look: as i said, that's all room for negotiation 4 me. knowing weegee,yeah well... may ur concern is righteous lol. still, where's ma 16's?! *sniff*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
453 posts
14 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

It's TLDR for the whole range thing, sorry. 

 

If you want to talk about the new TA skill, how about the fact that it is now a percentage based speed increase? Hating that about it is way more reasonable than hating the removal of the range penalty. 

That is because the old skill was a good tradeoff as you lost range in exchange for extra speed that also happens to be how torpedoes actually worked as you could increase their speed but naturally they would lose range as a result due to the increased fuel consumption.

 

That allowed players to actually make proper decisions, the Italian CLs have 12km torpedoes but they are slow, the skill put then at around the same speed as similar CL torpedoes as the new skill simply does very little for them, this is the problem with the skill as you cannot use it to offset slow torpedoes due to how minimal the gain is to the point the skill is utterly useless, same with DDs were some ships benefited for then because lets be honest, you arent going to hit anything at maximum range that is doing some moving  just due to dispersion pattern alone so the "lower" range for less reaction time was a decent trade off as the new one doesnt even allow that because all you gain is 3 extra knots of speed more or less.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
3 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

It's TLDR for the whole range thing, sorry. 

 

If you want to talk about the new TA skill, how about the fact that it is now a percentage based speed increase? Hating that about it is way more reasonable than hating the removal of the range penalty. 

I don't actually hate that part - but it's what makes the old TA and the new TA two completely different skills.

 

Old TA was a very specialised skill, somewhat similar to IFHE: very useful for the ships that need it, useless or worse for most others. You get something with super-slow torpedoes but excess range you rarely use? TA to the rescue! Your range is NOT excessive and/or your torpedo speed is acceptable already? This will likely be more of a downgrade.

 

New TA is the opposite: it fits literally every torpedo-armed ship as long as you find spare points in your build. It benefits everyone - but it's not such a game-changer, since the effective % bonus doesn't increase for slower torps (some ships with infamously slow torpedoes were in for an over 10% speed increase with the old TA).

 

Basically, TA used to be a heavy-impact skill for several select ships with unbalanced torpedo characteristics... and a noob trap for everyone else. Now it's a viable, universal torpedo-enhancing skill of the "tweak your ship to your preferences" variety - it will always help but don't count on it to make up for WG not giving your tub of death a torpedo choice with better balanced characteristics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
453 posts
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

 Now it's a viable, universal torpedo-enhancing skill of the "tweak your ship to your preferences" variety

:cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,127 posts
12,630 battles
On 2/7/2021 at 1:50 AM, eliastion said:

You know what... I think I'll have to try a Shimemekaze with TA slapped on F3 configuration. Normally I vastly prefer 12km torps for their versatility, but when I picture 3x5 21k damage torps travelling at 83 knots?

"Shimakaze's torpedoes are easy to dodge", they said :Smile_teethhappy:

Been there done that..... Its hilarious when it works but its hard A-F in this long range/radar/CV meta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×