Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jpk_chios

Tier 3 to Tier 4 ship

19 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts

Dear all,

I want your advice for a new ship. Currently i use the italian Giussano which is quite dicent. It hasn't big power in guns but it's quick and it turns also quick. In the beginning i also had use the first American and the first Japanese ship. So what do you think that i should do?

Regards 

Dimitris

[DAVY]
Players
3,168 posts
14,794 battles
On 2/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, Player_1572840509 said:

Dear all,

I want your advice for a new ship. Currently i use the italian Giussano which is quite dicent. It hasn't big power in guns but it's quick and it turns also quick. In the beginning i also had use the first American and the first Japanese ship. So what do you think that i should do?

Regards 

Dimitris

Take your time and try out the different lines, it's hard to recommend a specific ship and quite a few of the lines change the way they play around tiers 6-7, the Italian ships are known for being a little bit more difficult to play for beginners, but the general idea is to find something you feel comfortable in.

• Cool 4

Players
9 posts
19 minutes ago, Salentine said:

Take your time and try out the different lines, it's hard to recommend a specific ship and quite a few of the lines change the way they play around tiers 6-7, the Italian ships are known for being a little bit more difficult to play for beginners, but the general idea is to find something you feel comfortabl in.

Thank you for the reply. Well I could use something with more power to the guns and quite fast. Doesn't matter if it hasn't torpedoes.

Players
214 posts
4,345 battles
2 hours ago, Salentine said:

Take your time and try out the different lines, it's hard to recommend a specific ship and quite a few of the lines change the way they play around tiers 6-7, the Italian ships are known for being a little bit more difficult to play for beginners, but the general idea is to find something you feel comfortabl in.

I agree with Salentine it is a good idea to try stuff out and experiment but be mindful some trees do take diversions and change in the way they play. The great thing about lower tiers is they are easy to obtain and pinging back and forward between different lines is easier to find what works for you.

Players
94 posts
3,825 battles

As a new guy I think it's best to avoid the UK cruisers. they aren't easy to play. The Russians have decent guns and speed (except the Bogatyr, thats slow as hell) but are quite squishy. As others have said already there is no right answer to this, you just gotta try them out and see what fits you best. 

[NMA]
Players
114 posts
4,547 battles
4 hours ago, Player_1572840509 said:

Thank you for the reply. Well I could use something with more power to the guns and quite fast. Doesn't matter if it hasn't torpedoes.

Try St.Louis / Phoenix, they have great guns for their tier. St. Louis is slow though. Looks like you tried them at some point and didn't like?
IJN gets Furutaka at tier V, which is first silver CA with 203 mm guns in game, might give a shot to see if you like it?

Players
9 posts
On 2/6/2021 at 1:32 AM, bakmaita said:

Try St.Louis / Phoenix, they have great guns for their tier. St. Louis is slow though. Looks like you tried them at some point and didn't like?
IJN gets Furutaka at tier V, which is first silver CA with 203 mm guns in game, might give a shot to see if you like it?

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried them. Currently I have a British cruiser. Tier 3. It doesn't have the speed and the aeroplane of the italian but it has quite good guns with quick reload. But till now I haven't understand how to use the torpedoes efficiently... By the way. How can I get a ship with early access? I have read the rules of the game but i didn't fully understood them.... As I read an article i realize that the ship that i 'd like to use is the Devonshire.Tier 6 ...

Players
9 posts
On 2/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, guy_incognito79 said:

As a new guy I think it's best to avoid the UK cruisers. they aren't easy to play. The Russians have decent guns and speed (except the Bogatyr, thats slow as hell) but are quite squishy. As others have said already there is no right answer to this, you just gotta try them out and see what fits you best. 

Why the UK cruisers aren't easy to play?

I haven't tried any Russian ship. I like the power of the Americans.

Generally while playing the game my thoughts were to use ships of USA UK France or Russia. So I started to play with the

Italians...:cap_haloween:

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles
49 minutes ago, jpk_chios said:

Why the UK cruisers aren't easy to play?

I haven't tried any Russian ship. I like the power of the Americans.

Generally while playing the game my thoughts were to use ships of USA UK France or Russia. So I started to play with the

Italians...:cap_haloween:

UK cruisers or rather the light cruisers are more difficult because they are very squishy and only have access to AP ammunition (good AP, but still only AP). You might think that because they get heals early that they have some form of staying power, and while that is somewhat true they explode very rapidly if you make a mistake. And the pure AP loadout gives you other problems as well. You get really good damage output when broadside but when ships start to angle your damge drops of rapidly so positioning is key.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,201 posts
9,971 battles
1 hour ago, jpk_chios said:

Good morning! I can't understand what do you mean by the word "squishy". :cap_yes:

Thin armour and pretty big citadels (very big from tier 9 and up).

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,912 posts
10,103 battles

Japanese and french cruisers are generally quite quick and have good firepower. As well as italians, but they only really get good at tier 8 and on. My recomendation is japanese.

• Cool 2

Players
1,029 posts
23 hours ago, jpk_chios said:

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried them. Currently I have a British cruiser. Tier 3. It doesn't have the speed and the aeroplane of the italian but it has quite good guns with quick reload. But till now I haven't understand how to use the torpedoes efficiently... By the way. How can I get a ship with early access? I have read the rules of the game but i didn't fully understood them.... As I read an article i realize that the ship that i 'd like to use is the Devonshire.Tier 6 ...

I'm going to go against the trend here, and say that the British light cruiser line is excellent for learning the game on: the lack of ammunition switching makes things easier in battle and the fact that they are so fragile teaches you to play more carefully (if you can get away from any engagement intact, for example by using their smoke, the heal helps a lot to bring you back into the fight). Also, if and when you learn how to use torpedoes, you'll likely learn that a narrower spread is better; the British ships have single-fire torpedoes which is the narrowest spread of all ;)

If you're looking to pick up the Devonshire, you'll need to work through the Hawkins first at tier 5; she can be a bit of a pain to play as she's not very good compared to some other same-tier ships, but she'll give you some idea of what to expect with Devonshire (good level of hitpoints, powerful guns albeit not too many, the heal again). I recently picked up the permanent camouflage for my Hawkins from the holiday Santa event, so I'm playing her a bit more at the moment (especially since she's had her reload buffed from something like 14 seconds when introduced into the game to the 11.7 seconds or so it is now), and she seems to benefit from the Heavy AP Shells and/or Adrenaline Rush skills, anything that boost her broadside power really.

WG Staff
2,062 posts
893 battles
20 hours ago, SV_Kompresor said:

Japanese and french cruisers are generally quite quick and have good firepower. As well as italians, but they only really get good at tier 8 and on. My recomendation is japanese.

There answer is always Japan! (At least this is what Simpsons thought me.) It is totally my favorite line for cruisers. 😊

• Funny 2

[TFSB]
106 posts
1,967 battles

One of the best tips for a newcomer is; Explore all all the different kind of nations, and roles. Try out destroyers, battleships and cruisers - and try them, in each nation! 

Each nation specialize  within something. Try them out, and see which playstyle fits you. 

In terms of fast and decent firepower, the French  never let me down. Japan, as others have stated, is also a good choice. They tend to do really well with their High-explosive (HE) shells.  

Find the ship that suits you the most, and enjoy the ship!

I hope you'll find what you're looking for, during your exploration. Best of luck, skipper! :crab:

-"Moxy":dance_turtle:

Beta Tester
2,232 posts
13,348 battles

Having been a Senpai to my daughter the last 18 months my proposals for a newcomer in terms of cruisers are:

Japan

+ fast

+ good guns

+ very good torpedoes (even if it gets you killed sometimes when you desperately try to use them and give broadside ^^)

+ the playstyle basically stays the same from T5 onwards till the end. Once you got it, you can do good in it

- unreliable armor

- weak AA

Russian

+ fast in a straight line, but not mobile (bad turning circle)

+ extraordinary good guns with long range (from T5 on)

+ the playstyle basically stays the same from T5 onwards till the end. Once you got it, you can do good in it

- very short range torpedoes (last resort Banzai-weapons)

- armor ? who needs armor ...?

French

+ very fast

+ good guns

+ decent torpedoes

+ modern ships with turrets from the start

- armor, what is that ... ?

- the line has a hard switch from light cruisers with small fast firing guns to heavy cruisers from T6-T7

Germans are not bad, too, but they also have a hard switch from light to heavy cruisers at T6 / T7 and the T7 (Yorck) is not easy to master.

Americans lack modern ships with turrets in low tiers, which is not motivating, especially since they are made out of toilet paper and explode just from looking at them. From T6 they are quite nice to play

British ... just dont before you have experince with other lines.

And please, try some battleships and destroyers, just to feel and experience how they are played (or not played ^^)

Godd luck :Smile_great:

Players
9 posts

Thank you very much all. For now i use the St.Louis. It is very slow but has quite good guns. I use it under protection or i fire from a distance. The aiming is descent. As i can imagine from the shape of the ship it must build during the ww1. Too much wood i think.

• Cool 1

Players
9 posts
On 2/15/2021 at 12:03 PM, The_Pillager said:

Having been a Senpai to my daughter the last 18 months my proposals for a newcomer in terms of cruisers are:

Japan

+ fast

+ good guns

+ very good torpedoes (even if it gets you killed sometimes when you desperately try to use them and give broadside ^^)

- unreliable armor

- weak AA

Russian

+ fast in a straight line, but not mobile (bad turning circle)

+ extraordinary good guns with long range (from T5 on)

- very short range torpedoes (last resort Banzai-weapons)

- armor ? who needs armor ...?

French

+ very fast

+ good guns

+ decent torpedoes

+ modern ships with turrets from the start

- armor, what is that ... ?

- the line has a hard switch from light cruisers with small fast firing guns to heavy cruisers from T6-T7

Germans are not bad, too, but they also have a hard switch from light to heavy cruisers at T6 / T7 and the T7 (Yorck) is not easy to master.

Americans lack modern ships with turrets in low tiers, which is not motivating, especially since they are made out of toilet paper and explode just from looking at them. From T6 they are quite nice to play

British ... just dont before you have experince with other lines.

And please, try some battleships and destroyers, just to feel and experience how they are played (or not played ^^)

Godd luck :Smile_great:

Thank you for the post.

I have upgrade the St.Louis. It became very slow. But i have more guns. I use it like battleship. I fire from distance aiming in front of the enemy's ship. It is quite fun. A! It's good for ramming too... 😈

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,232 posts
13,348 battles

Ah yes, good Old St Louis. Still love that ship :Smile_Default:

The following ships are a lot  faster and more cruiserlike. ^^

Sign in to follow this