Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
N00Boo7

Orkan vs Loyang

Orkan vs Loyang  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who have them, witch one is better?

13 comments in this topic

[HANDS]
Players
307 posts
23,931 battles

Hello, I want to take one of these DDs,  (cant have them both). But i just cant decide witch one to go for.

I have Smalland and 21 pointer captain to use, but  looking of the stats of Orkan, he is slow, weak torps, weak heal, no smoke. Pro: ofc 7.5 km radar for 20-25 sec.

Loyang will have "just"a 19 point captain,  but is faster and nimble, smoke, and 5.5 km long lasting hydro, but lower HP pool, no heal, only 4 guns.

Any advices?

Thank you.

Players
20 posts
10,751 battles

Orkan is a very difficult ship to play for all the reasons you've outlined.  I've had good games in it but equally I've been deleted 3 minutes into a game.  I don't have Loyang but it seems very good on paper and is held in high regard generally.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,575 posts
15,046 battles
4 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

Any advices?

I have both, and think they're both excellent, but if I had to pick just one, it would probably be be Loyang, but only very marginally (and there are good reasons why I've been playing almost exclusively Orkan in recent T8 Ranked etc.):

• Loyang is a very good all-round DD; in terms of dakka, torps, and sneakiness, she's 'good enough' at everything, while not being exceptional at anything. Of course, her party piece is having excellent smoke combined with cruiser hydro; this is still very powerful when used correctly, although it's usefulness has been eroded somewhat by the plethora of radars in the game. A coal hydro mod is an excellent idea, too. I personally run the YOLO torp option, as I find the standard ones too slow (and they only reliably hit at YOLO ranges anyway).
  • Orkan is - more or less - a less sneaky Lightning that loses smoke and a torp launcher, but gains a heal and radar. How good she is for you will largely depend on how effectively you can make full use of the radar; I find her to be a monstrously effective DD hunter, and the heal often allows you at least one mistake. Having only the one torp launcher makes you a lot less effective against fatties, although - with a Liquidator captain especially - you can still make a major nuisance of yourself with your torps. A coal radar mod is a very helpful addition. I find the lack of smoke to be less of an issue than you might expect, as it's quite rare that you'll be operating with zero radar around, although it helps to have practiced extensively with the Ikea DDs to get used to the gameplay. In a lot of respects though, she's not unlike a T8 Smaland.

As I said, if I was forced to pick one, it would probably be Loyang, but only very marginally (and Cossack is probably better than both at that tier).

• Cool 6

Beta Tester
3,386 posts
3,939 battles

The Orkan needs to coordinate well with her team - or at least with a division mate - in order to fully utilize her strengths. For her special gimmick, the radar, to be effective, she needs her team mates to shoot at what she spots, since if she shoots herself she will immediately be spotted in return, being as she is without a smoke screen. While this level of back-up can actually quite often be relied upon in a Ranked battle, it is encountered less regularly in normal Random battles.

The Lo Yang is much more self-sufficient, and has a tool box that will allow her to perform well in most situations. Her hydro is very good indeed, spotting ships at a distance of 5,5 km if I recall correctly, and her guns and torpedoes are good if not exceptional in any way. She has the long-lasting American smoke, which is good for team play purposes and can - in conjunction with her hydro - allow for some sneaky ambush play in a knife-fight with another destroyer.

So in general terms, I'd say that the Lo Yang is by far the better ship. The bottom line, of course, is what best suits your own personal play style.

Best of luck!

:Smile_honoring:

Edit: Verblonde beat me to the punch, as usual, and provides - also as usual - more informative advice than I. Except for the fact that I rank the Lo Yang as quite a bit better than the Orkan as an all-purpose ship, I agree completely with everything written in the above post. (And yes: Go for the Cossack!)

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,898 posts
20,476 battles

I ranked out in Bronze league on three accounts (main + 2 alts), and on the two alts I used Lo Yang (mostly due to lack of other ships and the fact that Lo Yang is the cheapest tier 8).

My WR is 73% and 68% respectively so this speaks for the LoYang.

I never had trouble dealing with Orkans or any other DD, except maybe a well played Cossack.

Like others said, Lo Yang allows me to be more of a lone wolf type of player when my team sucks, and still doing good. The goal is, to create situations that puts enemy DDs into heavily unfair fights.

Fir instance, stay out of caps until it's contested, wait till it's halfway capped then rush the enemy DD.

You're far more self reliant, can bully other DDs (except other Lo Yangs).

So yeah, in ranked Lo Yang all the way.

However, in randoms I'd chose the Orkan over the Lo Yang.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
6,575 posts
15,046 battles
37 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Except for ranking the Lo Yang as quite a bit better than the Orkan as an all-purpose ship

I actually do agree with you entirely - Loyang is *much* better, as an all-rounder; where Orkan shines - IMO - is as a highly effective DD hunter, especially in competitive/small team modes.

Orkan can be a major nuisance to fatties, given time, but the lack of alpha undoubtedly gives Loyang a significant edge in this regard.

I also forgot to mention: it's easier for a competent CV to shut down an Orkan than a Loyang (smoke, and US AA, albeit sans DefAA), although - luckily - most of the CVs I meet are not really terribly competent.

FWIW to provide a bit of context, according to WOWS numbers, I'm showing 57.14% WR for Orkan on my EU account, and 68% on NA; that's against an overall Random WR of 48% (plus change). I haven't played Loyang in Ranked this time for a couple of reasons: mainly, it's because she lacks a heal (and I've found a heal to be crucial on too many occasions in Ranked, although my WR in Cossacks is higher, albeit with a smaller data set), but also because she's one of my older premiums, and I've played her quite a lot in Randoms, Clans and whatnot, and fancied a change (with a slight subtext that more people know how to deal with smoke/hydro than can deal with DD radar, it seems).

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,538 posts
26,146 battles
58 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

The Orkan needs to coordinate well with her team

I don t know what you have smoken, but I want it too.

• Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles

Lo Yang, easily. For all the reasons stated above.

Orkan is not that good to be brutally honest.

• Cool 1

[HANDS]
Players
307 posts
23,931 battles

Thank you all for your opinion, Loyang it is :).

Spoiler

loyang.thumb.jpg.82de0ac84b744b6d97c2cd1d509a0baa.jpg

• Cool 5

[HANDS]
Players
307 posts
23,931 battles

30 games later:

loyang.thumb.jpg.0b551bcf64b8c2e28ca22967775f008b.jpg

Strongly recommend for any DD main. 

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
1 minute ago, N00Boo7 said:

30 games later:

loyang.thumb.jpg.0b551bcf64b8c2e28ca22967775f008b.jpg

Strongly recommend for any DD main. 

Good practice for the Hsienyang too if you haven't played her yet.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,127 posts
12,630 battles
On 2/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, Verblonde said:

I have both, and think they're both excellent, but if I had to pick just one, it would probably be be Loyang, but only very marginally (and there are good reasons why I've been playing almost exclusively Orkan in recent T8 Ranked etc.):

• Loyang is a very good all-round DD; in terms of dakka, torps, and sneakiness, she's 'good enough' at everything, while not being exceptional at anything. Of course, her party piece is having excellent smoke combined with cruiser hydro; this is still very powerful when used correctly, although it's usefulness has been eroded somewhat by the plethora of radars in the game. A coal hydro mod is an excellent idea, too. I personally run the YOLO torp option, as I find the standard ones too slow (and they only reliably hit at YOLO ranges anyway).
  • Orkan is - more or less - a less sneaky Lightning that loses smoke and a torp launcher, but gains a heal and radar. How good she is for you will largely depend on how effectively you can make full use of the radar; I find her to be a monstrously effective DD hunter, and the heal often allows you at least one mistake. Having only the one torp launcher makes you a lot less effective against fatties, although - with a Liquidator captain especially - you can still make a major nuisance of yourself with your torps. A coal radar mod is a very helpful addition. I find the lack of smoke to be less of an issue than you might expect, as it's quite rare that you'll be operating with zero radar around, although it helps to have practiced extensively with the Ikea DDs to get used to the gameplay. In a lot of respects though, she's not unlike a T8 Smaland.

As I said, if I was forced to pick one, it would probably be Loyang, but only very marginally (and Cossack is probably better than both at that tier).

This! Only have LoYang and I think its pretty good at T8 with its smoke and hydro, decent concealment. ALso running the suicide torps since half the time you launch is in a cap against a contesting DD.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this