Jump to content
affie

Radio Location, still worth it post 0.10.0?

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[OHFK]
Players
412 posts
10,084 battles

I wonder what destroyers you use the Radio Location skill on after the captain rework? Same as before or have you changed to/from it on any destroyer?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles

Gearing, somers, shima. That's it i think :cap_yes:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,846 posts
9,388 battles

i still use it on any dd as far as i can

i would use it on every dd tbh

42 minuti fa, affie ha scritto:

I wonder what destroyers you use the Radio Location skill on after the captain rework? Same as before or have you changed to/from it on any destroyer?

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Modder
5,177 posts
9,448 battles

Halland - My preemptive torpedo strikes in direction of RPF has the highest success rate in this ship. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OHFK]
Players
412 posts
10,084 battles

After some testing I myself have found it good om most DDs in my port except for Kleber and Småland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
84 posts
2,514 battles

Depends how much you use it truth be told. But it's invaluable info on a DD, any DD that is not long range HE spamming machine, I would say. It's great in both defense and offence against other DDs and just for this purpose, I will always have it on my captains, if the points allow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALYEN]
Players
2,568 posts
4,334 battles

all DD hunter builds and anything competitive (Ranked, CBs etc.) ...

 

for me:

RN DDs tier8+

IJN Gunboats (Akizuki and up)

KM T9/10

 

TRB boats (Shira, Kagero, Yugumo) as well for defensive purposes ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OCTO]
Players
484 posts
20,460 battles

There are pro's and con's using RPF.

 

You can track invisible threats and not be ambushed so easily/ambush the unaware. If you are being located, you know a DD is on you and probably trying to torp you, so zig zag accordingly. I have stopped using the skill now pretty much as I think it can give your rough position and intention away to a located captain who is aware and thinking. I play to torp as close as possible and the BB player will be located and possibly take away the element of surprise. On a gun boat/DD hunter, then yes, it can be of benefit to DD's of not so good concealment compared to other DD's.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[URUC]
Players
361 posts

Actually i have no 14 point captain on DDs. Tried it on cruisers  (Hindenburg, Neptune  and Donskoi) and find it useful to hunt DDs.

For radar crtuisers / DDs a great help because you can point your guns in the right direction before using radar.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MBHH]
Players
770 posts
Am 10.2.2021 um 07:42, Procrastes sagte:

I use Radio Location on all my destroyers except the Kléber.

 

:fish_book:

 

Wouldn't it be useful to do it vice versa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles

Pretty much all dds except for kleber and Haru. It is still a great tool and will provide a lot of information, the two I don't run it on just need other skills quite a bit more to be as effective as possible. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,468 posts
3,994 battles
On 3/19/2021 at 2:41 AM, Trench4nt said:

 

:fish_book:

 

Wouldn't it be useful to do it vice versa?

My main use for the Radio Location skill is in DD vs. DD fights, either to hunt enemy destroyers or to avoid them as the situation demands. It is also hugely useful for targeting smoked-up ships with torpedoes inside their own smoke. Apart from this I use the skill for the occasional speculative torpedo launch at unspotted targets in my Halland and Black, but that is more of a fringe benefit. In the Kléber, however, destroyers are not my main targets, and her torpedo armament is strictly for yolo death rushes or a last ditch defense measure if everything goes snafu. The Radio Location skill, while certainly not a bad thing to have in any ship, is thus less useful in the Kléber than in any of my other destroyers - or at least that is how I have been reasoning so far.

 

It should be said that I am not a very good Kléber captain. So I am probably not the best authority when it comes to Kléber skill builds. I am, however, moderately competent at handling myself in a "normal" gunboat destroyer - and in such a one, the Radio Location skill is a great thing to have, since it provides a wealth of useful information throughout the battle.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles
49 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

My main use for the Radio Location skill is in DD vs. DD fights, either to hunt enemy destroyers or to avoid them as the situation demands. It is also hugely useful for targeting smoked-up ships with torpedoes inside their own smoke. Apart from this I use the skill for the occasional speculative torpedo launch at unspotted targets in my Halland and Black, but that is more of a fringe benefit. In the Kléber, however, destroyers are not my main targets, and her torpedo armament is strictly for yolo death rushes or a last ditch defense measure if everything goes snafu. The Radio Location skill, while certainly not a bad thing to have in any ship, is thus less useful in the Kléber than in any of my other destroyers - or at least that is how I have been reasoning so far.

 

It should be said that I am not a very good Kléber captain. So I am probably not the best authority when it comes to Kléber skill builds. I am, however, moderately competent at handling myself in a "normal" gunboat destroyer - and in such a one, the Radio Location skill is a great thing to have, since it provides a wealth of useful information throughout the battle.

Kleber needs range and reload. Concealment doesn't hurt either. Haven't played mine much, but agree with every word you said. A primary use of rpf is also not to get ambushed. This problem doesn't exist with kleber. 

 

What I feel though is that a lot of players dont realise that the kita and Haru require quite different builds.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,468 posts
3,994 battles
13 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Kleber needs range and reload. Concealment doesn't hurt either. Haven't played mine much, but agree with every word you said. A primary use of rpf is also not to get ambushed. This problem doesn't exist with kleber. 

 

What I feel though is that a lot of players dont realise that the kita and Haru require quite different builds.

I certainly have the Radio Location skill on my Kitakaze captain! She's a knife fighter and no mistake, even though her concealment was lately nerfed to 6.1. The fact that she carries enough fire power to take on a cruiser doesn't mean she won't typically have to deal with destroyers as well, and without hydro the RL skill is the best option for getting the drop on those. I don't have the Harugumo, but from your words I guess she plays more like the Kléber?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles
51 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I certainly have the Radio Location skill on my Kitakaze captain! She's a knife fighter and no mistake, even though her concealment was lately nerfed to 6.1. The fact that she carries enough fire power to take on a cruiser doesn't mean she won't typically have to deal with destroyers as well, and without hydro the RL skill is the best option for getting the drop on those. I don't have the Harugumo, but from your words I guess she plays more like the Kléber?

The Haru cannot contest caps well. She is too sluggish and large which makes her a torpedo bait. She has tremendous gun power, but in order to shoot in the open she needs the range. Concealment on the captain is fine, but the rudder shift module helps her more than concealment does. 

 

Mine gets spotted at 8.1km. In the later game you can try to ambush dds, but honestly, fire spamming cruisers and bbs works better. The key for her is to not get torped in her smoke. No dd except maybe a kleber with rlb can take her 1v1 with guns. She just chews through those. Despite the already good reload I'm buffing it further. This is done to give her the maximum advantage and further scale ar up. 

 

The kita in contrast can very well be played as a dd hunter. And this is where the main difference comes in: I don't increase my firing range in dd hunters in order to limit my maximum spotting range. If I get the kill and the enemy cruiser is too far away I'm unspotted immediately. This is something to keep in mind when setting up the ship. On kita I'm not running the range upgrade, precisely for that reason. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×