Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkollUlfr

max range final velocity charts for guns?

11 comments in this topic

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

i know there is a chart showing the muzzle velocity (for what its worth, since it doesnt show the railgun game multiplier).

but im looking for a chart showing what the shell velosity drops to at its maximum range, if such a thing exists.

im confident, but still assuming shells lose velocity as they travel.

and im wondering if there are any good numbers to back it up.

• Cool 1

[TF]
Players
125 posts
2,088 battles

The velocity is not of direct interest to compare performance, but travel time and penetration values are, so I assumed that is what he really wanted behind the question, but you are right it does not show impact velocity.

Anyway travel time evolution is similar to velocity, you can locally estimate the velocity by dividing distance/time on a short period :Smile_hiding: doesn't directly help OP though, sorry

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

48 minutes ago, meuhbat said:

The velocity is not of direct interest to compare performance, but travel time and penetration values are, so I assumed that is what he really wanted behind the question, but you are right it does not show impact velocity.

thanks, but it really was final velocity i was looking for.

curiosity over how different ships/classes lost that velocity at range being the main motivator.

my... appreciation, of using dd ap to troll cruisers being distant second.

a ships with a lower muzzle velocity but high final velocity would be more intuitive/more to aim at different ranges.

but ships with high initial velocity but lose it quickly would be easier to aim a close range but get harder to aim at max range.

such information may be useful in deciding how to play some boats.

49 minutes ago, meuhbat said:

Anyway travel time evolution is similar to velocity, you can locally estimate the velocity by dividing distance/time on a short period :Smile_hiding: doesn't directly helps OP though, sorry

this is a source of salt and humour. take any ship you like, aim 1km away, not the travel time, then convert to m/s.

minsk for eg, 1km in 0.42 seconds thats pretty much 2400m/s. not the 870 listed in port. and every ship in the game is like this.

literal rail gun velocities.

[TF]
Players
125 posts
2,088 battles

Same goes for ship speed, they cover distance much faster than the indicated speed should allow. Everything is accelerated to make the game more dynamic to play and distances are artificially increased. It would be unplayable with 25s shell travel time :Smile_teethhappy:

What I meant is you can look at the shell travel time chart and that tells you if the velocity is relatively constant or if it drops rapidly by looking at how linear or progressive it is. I find it more representative of in-game behavior, something you can relate to more easily than a velocity curve. But both information are interesting, as is playing with shell mass and air drag in the tool to see how much they impact the charts. :Smile_Default:

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
40 minutes ago, meuhbat said:

Everything is accelerated to make the game more dynamic to play

intended to. not quite working that way.

shell velocity means dodging is diminished for a lot of ships that need it.

which is why we have so many people pitching tents on islands or hanging back at 20km+ they know the aim assist will let them farm at those ranges.

giving us campy grindy gameplay.

knock a third off muzzle velosity and suddenly proper manoeuvring becomes a valid skill outside of high tier snipe fests.

[CATS]
Players
31,057 posts
15,715 battles
28 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

knock a third off muzzle velosity and suddenly proper manoeuvring becomes a valid skill outside of high tier snipe fests.

You forget that ship speed acceleration allows for easier dodging.

When you remove shell speed acceleration, you must also remove ship speed acceleration.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
20 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You forget that ship speed acceleration allows for easier dodging.

When you remove shell speed acceleration, you must also remove ship speed acceleration.

no.

i stated the general scenario where dodging can be used.

if dodging was a thing, deadeye sniper damage farming wouldnt be.

simple observation of cause and effect.

Sign in to follow this