Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Chiv

Smolensk not Dead, if you have a brain

6 comments in this topic

[BOATY]
Players
1,034 posts
15,540 battles

So the rework made Smolensk less cancerous. I mean any ship that can get 30 fires and push 400k+ is something that needs to be addressed. So .10.0 came and effectively turned the most easy to use t10 ship in the game to something that was less impactful. Many claimed it was a dead ship. Myself I meme'd the hell out of it being a dead ship because realistically no ship is dead just more difficult to play to be impactful. Now however it takes a different mindset and target priority to make this ship work well.

Pre ,10.0 Smolensk tactics were pretty simple and very forgiving. Go to camp spot, make sure you have a spotter, wait till all ships are in range and then.

explode nuclear explosion GIF by Faith Holland

Total skill required -3 to play

Total skill required to be helpful to your team 1

Total skill needed to be awesome 2

.10.0 the ship is less of a threat. Range gimped, fire chance gimped, rate of fire gimped(but you get more HE DAMAGE...with no penetration.) Yet the ship was not dead, far from it.

shot-21_01.30_02_52.30-0831.thumb.jpg.9d593aa19e73f95e527df02f6f5c9c72.jpgshot-21_01.30_02_52.34-0700.thumb.jpg.548fbe4ffd78ce17f7af62f570fb6b59.jpg

By changing the focus from Big ships to smaller ships the Smolensk is still an effective platform with the ability to punish every dd it sees. 

TLDR; Smolensk is not dead. Focus on dds and cruisers and you will be much more impactful.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
27,021 battles

That crap was unbalanced, and it still is.

Is it taking citadels now like the rest of the cruisers? 

Have they fixed the gun flashes error so you can shoot it in its smoke? 

Fix these 2 and it will still be OP, compared to Minotaur that has no HE. 

Beta Tester
807 posts
46 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Is it taking citadels now like the rest of the cruisers? 

Have they fixed the gun flashes error so you can shoot it in its smoke? 

It takes citadels from other cruisers just fine, and from BB’s at longer ranges.

For the second one, I haven’t noticed that, but I mostly use the map when aiming into the smoke, going for the last known position or ahead or aft of it depending on when the flashes are (they usually move back and forwards in the smoke, rarely sideways)

Sign in to follow this