Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CaravellaCaravan

Is That Proper Angling For Scharnhorst?

10 comments in this topic

Players
38 posts
1,251 battles

Hi, i have a question. Scharnhorst has 26MM Plating bow. So it can be overmatched by 380MM or higher caliber guns, all T9 BBs can overmatch Scharnhorst's bow when uptiered.

Also, Scharnhorst has 70MM icebreaker just little above the waterline of her bow. Some players told me that plating can bounce these calibers with proper angling. But, i don't know how to angle with Scharnhorst.

I've taken this screenshot, trying to angle unarmed bot Sovetsky Soyuz for example. Is that proper angling? Thanks.

WorldOfWarships64_2021_01_30_03_10_21_444.thumb.png.392d2d5bc3aa1e54c5bfe4a58122cdac.png

[CATS]
Players
31,115 posts
15,725 battles

The icebreaker only works when the enemy aims too low. Has nothing to do with you.

The angling looks ok, but you can show slighly more side. That way your effective bow citadel armor gets a bit thicker.

• Bad 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

You are angling more than enough to bounce with your nose but it does not matter against 406mm guns, 406 overmatches your nose except the ice breaker. If you get overmatched, angling less is often a solid tactic because if you show a little side, you bait the other guy into becoming greedy and going for citadels, then bounce those with your belt. Its a skill you pick up rather quickly in T7 because just about everything overmatches everything else

Beta Tester
807 posts

I’d just shoot for your superstructure anyway..... it may not be great damage, but it’s damage.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

it they are anything like me they are just going to aim for your barbettes anyway.

there is also overmatch cudgel mechanics that are flatly based on calliber mechanics rather than a fraction of pen, which would be more flexible.

• Cool 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,327 posts
23,343 battles

What Skurfa said. Scharnhorst's superstructure is huge. An Amagi took half my HP in 2 - 3 salvos into my ss at the same angle like in your screenshot. Against high calibre BBs you should play like a cruiser, use the speed and dodge at range or use islands to get into swordfight range. Mid-range fights should be avoided.

• Cool 1

Players
1,099 posts
3,828 battles
12 hours ago, CaravellaCaravan said:

Hi, i have a question. Scharnhorst has 26MM Plating bow. So it can be overmatched by 380MM or higher caliber guns, all T9 BBs can overmatch Scharnhorst's bow when uptiered.

Also, Scharnhorst has 70MM icebreaker just little above the waterline of her bow. Some players told me that plating can bounce these calibers with proper angling. But, i don't know how to angle with Scharnhorst.

I've taken this screenshot, trying to angle unarmed bot Sovetsky Soyuz for example. Is that proper angling? Thanks.

WorldOfWarships64_2021_01_30_03_10_21_444.thumb.png.392d2d5bc3aa1e54c5bfe4a58122cdac.png

from my experience, nothing helps. Scharnhorst will get penned by big guns from every angle with the assistance of RNG.

[ONE2]
Players
3,144 posts
24,547 battles

Yeah, what they said sounds fair enough. In any case, I don't really care much about angling. Cruiser player, so if a BB hits me I'll be totally or nearly dead anyway so in most cases I just try to avoid getting hit in the first place but yeah I know this doesn't work for BB's so just do as the lads are saying and I trust it'll work just fine.:cap_like:

Anyway, if I really wanted to do any angling I would have installed a fishing simulator. :Smile_Default::Smile_trollface:

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,317 battles
Am 30.1.2021 um 01:25, CaravellaCaravan sagte:

Your bow can only bounce shells of caliber 380mm and more when they land on the ice breaker plating on the waterline. I guess it is harder to hit that plating than to hit the 26mm above it.

Scharnhorst has quite a bit of side plating and when you angle you get hit on that side rather then the bow. This way you can bounce shots. An angle of 20° should be fine, the maximum is 29°. In your picture your angle is just below 15°.

A good skilled player will, however, not shoot your belt armour but weaker parts of your ship and you will still eat massive damage. Therefore it is best to go with @Ze_Reckless's advice

Players
226 posts
13,930 battles

You have a slightly wrong way of thinking it. If he can overmatch you then don't rely on your armor but being a difficult target to hit.

You can drive in a 20-40 degree angle but you follow your target and track his shots. When he is about to shoot you are ready to close your angling to 10 degrees with a sharp turn. This often means enemy will miss his salvo or you don't hit by so many shells. If you just sail in same course you can still eat 10k to your superstructure.

Dodging is something this playerbase fails to do often. They prefer to sit and bow camp in a Yamato and get farmed to death when you can drive Yamato with pretty good speed and dodge shells.

When you are trying to yolo in Scharnhorst try to rely in dodging and trying to present yourself as a smaller and unpredictable target. Make small course adjustments or dodge heavily instead of relying on armor alone.

Just dodge.

Sign in to follow this