Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Sinksalot

Too Much HE Penetration?

6 comments in this topic

Players
584 posts
3,828 battles

Hi guys, 

Just shoot this one past you. 

So there are certain BB's that tend to lean of having pretty strong HE penetrations. For example, some British BB's have really good penetration on their HE shells and I'm just wondering if increasing it with the Inertia Fuse skill is going to have some good or bad side effects, other than the bad -50% reduction to fire percentage chance. 

So if we take a look at that "ship for coal" premium that I picked up, the Tier7 Duke Of York, it has a standard HE pen of 89mm. If I take the Inertia Fuse skill, it's 111mm of HE pen. 

Tell me this, and I'm clearly not knowledgeable in this game, why would 111mm of pen on a HE shell be a bad thing? Also, does it actually pen or does all HE just detonate on impact? If so, why even have a penetration value? Also, when it comes to hitting lightly armored ships like some cheeky DD coming in for a torpedo wall shotgun, would an large HE pen instantly nuke that DD or "overpen" the guy and actually do less damage?

Thanks. Forgive the noobness, just trying to establish some better 2 skill choices for some of these big HE slinging BB's. It's an easier choice with other BB's that just lean on AP shells with large caliber guns and weak HE shells(by comparison)

• Funny 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,937 posts
20,778 battles

There is no point whatsoever taking IFHE on a BB anymore, as secondary builds are essentially dead, and was the only reason to build that skill and the main battery already has pen enough to hurt lightly armored targets.

And you don't want to shoot heavily armored targets in the belt anyway, as the superstructure is squishy enough.

No point whatsoever. 

[TF]
Players
121 posts
2,064 battles

You won't gain anything by having 111mm pen instead of 89. Look at ships armor plating, how often do you see something between those 2 values ? the next step is too far, maybe 127 or 152mm to pen cruisers citadel, and you want the fire chance anyway so don't take IFHE.

You already pen more than 80mm so you can damage heavy armored decks of german BBs.

HE does not overpen, it gains no benefit of having more pen than the plate thickness as it detonates on impact, it won't do more damage.

The only case where you might want IFHE is on german BBs to allow the 105mm secondaries to pen 32 instead of 26mm, and even that is questionable due to the fire chance reduction.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
21 minutes ago, meuhbat said:

Look at ships armor plating, how often do you see something between those 2 values ?

The only 2 i can think of are Ägir upper belt (90mm) and Neptune Citadel (i wanna say 101mm).

Players
584 posts
3,828 battles

Thanks guys, that puts that question to bed and no points wasted.

Answer me this though. You say that secondary builds are dead. BUT, is there a case to be made of taking the secondary skills and equipment just to "abuse" the new Close Quarters Combat skill?

I'll attach this screenshot and just make a quick secondary build with a T8 German BB Bismarck. 

MPVdtgJ.jpg

Ok.

Now, let's just assume for a moment this guy has 17 skill points and as such, also has Improved Secondary Aiming for the example. Right, with one of these brawling type of turtle back armored BB's(sorry if its not a brawled, just lets assume it is for talk sake!!), what we have is a BB that gets +10% reload speed once anything is spotted within it's ample 11.5km secondary range. Having an enemy ship spotted within almost 12km of a brawler style BB isn't all that rare and you can purposefully play to it. Now, it's not outside the bounds of reason that this BB's also going to take some punches and get reduced to around 50% hp. If so, that's ANOTHER 10% reload speed... so that's 20% reload speed combined. So instead of a 26 second reload it will instead have almost a 20 second reload. Should it be a brawler with a 30 second reload main battery, that will be more like 27 seconds and 24 seconds after its lost half its hp.

Does a 6+ seconds faster reload on a BB seem like a good reason to keep the secondary build alive? Sure, you will have to get within 12km of an enemy ship for the above example for a +3 second faster reload and sustain 50% damage for an addition +3 second reload BUT, if it's a "tanky" brawler BB and purposefully played to at least exploit it's CQCS skill, does this bring the secondary builds back into the mix? Obviously you also have the bonus of secondaries getting to work on ships too as a bi-product but the secondaries are not what's important here, it's their rated range and how that brings the CQCS skill into play. Some BB's can be improved for even greater secondary ranges than 12km so... +10% RoF a good reason to keep the secondary build alive?

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

top tier no mid tier yes.

he citedels on many CL and some CA is a fun thing for me. QE with ifhe still has close to the fire chance of other bb and will he cit most targets that arent a bb.

especially shooting some troll boats that take mainly overpens from AP.

past t8 very few targets will give you the difference.

Sign in to follow this