Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

Top Commanders Now For Sale!

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3,472 posts
3,994 battles

Top Commanders can now be bought for money!

As I'm sure most of us will have already figured out, it is now - with the advent of patch 0.10.0 - possible to buy 21-point commanders for money.

The process is a bit more complicated than it perhaps needs to be, but still fairly simple. It relies on the fact that you can now

a) buy 10-point commanders for 1 500 doubloons each, and

b) exchange commanders for elite xp, by dismissing them and paying an amount of doubloons relative to their xp level in order to get back their full value in xp.

Buying a 10-point commander will cost you 1 500 doubloons. Trading him in will net you 183 000 elite xp for a cost of 1 663 doubloons.

Assuming that you start out by getting one 10-point commander for 1 500 doubloons, and then buy and trade in more 10-pointers in order to get enough elite xp to push the first one up to 21 points, you will need to get a total of sixteen 10-point captains - fifteen of which you trade in - in order to complete the whole operation.

This means that you can now buy a fully trained 21-point commander for a grand total of 48 945 doubloons. At the current exchange rate, that would equal a total cost of around 160 euros in real money. 

I have based my calculations on the skill point costs that are provided on the Wargaming wiki page for commanders (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander). I would encourage anyone who might feel so inclined to check my calculations; math is by no means my strongest suite and I may quite possibly have made an error somewhere along the line. Possible errors in calculation aside, the main point - namely that you can now recruit top-level commanders for money - still stands.

:Smile_coin:

Is this a good or a bad idea? (See spoiler!)

Spoiler

It can surely be debated if having top-level commanders available for money is a good or a bad idea. I would be interested to have your opinions, and courtesy - which I consider fine company - suggests that I begin by giving my own.

Personally, and after having given it some thought, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have a problem with this new state of affairs. Before any of you reach for the pitchforks and firebrands, please hear me out.

While I think most of us can agree that a slow and measured progression up the tiers is the ideal way for a beginner player to go about introducing himself to the game, the main part of that is how fast he or she moves up through the ship tiers. The rate of skill point progression for individual commanders, while certainly not inconsequential, has a much lighter impact on the gameplay. Or to put it another way: A typical beginner player who drives around in his or her tier VI Warspite with a 21-point commander on board, would be much less of a liability to the team than the same player driving around in a tier X Thunderer with a 3-point commander. I would even argue that if we are going to have beginner players driving around in tier X ships on their first day in the game - and with the ARP Yamato having come on stage, this is now a thing - they might as well have the means to get some top-level commanders to help them make the best of it.

Some of us might feel that suddenly having top-level commanders effectively available for money, is unfair to all those players who have spent years grinding their commanders up to the very top. While I can certainly sympathise with such a sentiment, I for my part do not feel it. The main gain of all those years of gameplay - apart from the fun, of course - is one's own personal skill and experience. And that is something that cannot be bought with any other currency than one's own time and effort. A rookie tennis player might get himself a top-notch racket, but he still wouldn't beat a champion. Or if he did, it wouldn't be due to the racket.

Someone will be quick to point out that 160 euros is a lot of money. It won't argue with that - but it still doesn't mean that you pay to win, only that you pay to get ahead (in the race for commander xp, as it were). High-tier premium ships have been available for money for a long time, and having high-level commanders available for the same currency does not strike me as being any different in principle. I can't say that the cost strikes me as outright reasonable, but in the end it all depends on how much you are willing and able to spend and how much you value not having to put in the time needed to grind a 21-pointer from scratch. Doing the math before you click away on the recruit/dismiss buttons help. On the plus side, a single top-level commander can now be used on all ship classes, and thus in most cases on a larger number of ships than before.

One thing that might be worth pointing out, is that those special commanders you can get from missions or from the Armory, such as Halsey or Lütjens, arrive with no more than 10 skill points. For most of those who have acquired one or more of these captains, putting them on board a favourite ship with only 10 skill points to go is not a very appealing option. Having to level them up with carefully accumulated reserves of free or elite xp was always a bit of a bother, and I've read at least one post in the past calling for getting them with a (then) full set of 19 points. While this might still be a good thing to have, now there is at least another option to go for if you don't happen to have enough free or elite xp stocked up.

To appease the history buffs, and on a slightly more whimsical note, I will point out that the sale of officers' commissions for money is historically accurate. In the British army, for instance, this practice wasn't abolished until the Napoleonic Wars, when circumstances (such as, well, Napoleon) came around to suggest that promoting generals on merit rather than money was actually a Very Good Idea.

On a side note: As long as it is actually possible to get top-level commanders for doubloons - and I can't imagine anything other than that this is intentional on the part of Wargaming - it would be more practical to have them directly available for a set amount of doubloons, straight from the Armory. The only reason I can think of why this is not already the case, is that Wargaming might be inclined to make this transaction, and its cost, somewhat less easy to see and access. If this is so, I believe they underestimate the player community. After all, if I could spot it, then any one of us can! :Smile_veryhappy:

This became a longer post than I intended, but I hope it wasn't all bones and ashes to read through. Now I'm interested to hear what you, fellow forumites, might have to say!

Cheers!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,811 battles

Just how bored are you...? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 10
  • Bad 1

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,322 battles
18 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

still doesn't mean that you pay to win, only that you pay to get ahead

You hit it right on the nose of the Monster, Procastes. Ofc, someone will do exactly as you suggest might happen. It's now official.

Buy a 21 pt Cpt as you suggest. Buy a T9 premium ship (or is the ARP Yamato still for sale?). 

Slightly more money than you suggest, however, if you want to max out the equipment upgrade slots for said premium ship.

Then play your first battle.

What could possibly go wrong for a team that gets such a player? :etc_red_button:  :Smile_child: :cap_money: :cap_hmm: :fish_nerv: :etc_swear:

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts

Oh boy, If I ever win EuroJackpot im so leveling all of my commanders... fi sure!

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
5,701 posts
22,522 battles

The good thing:

The whales doing ox feces like this and continue throwing their money @ WG allow the servers keep running and WG bringing us more interesting and challenging gameplay...

The bad thing:

We might have the unfortune to have these whales in the game as members of our team(s)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
2,149 posts
13,034 battles
43 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Oh boy, If I ever win EuroJackpot im so leveling all of my commanders... fi sure!

If you win, will you be my elite commander XP sugar daddy? 😘

• Funny 2

[ALYEN]
Players
2,596 posts
4,358 battles

I know you are aware, but this idea was already brought forward and discussed. Also the other option to grind commanders for silver ....

Beta Tester
3,472 posts
3,994 battles
4 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

I know you are aware, but this idea was already brought forward and discussed. Also the other option to grind commanders for silver ....

I was not aware of a previous thread on the subject. It was not my intention to post a "double thread", sorry for any inconvenience!

:Smile_hiding:

Sign in to follow this