Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
lmperial_Japanese_Navy

JMSDF Ayanami-class destroyer

9 comments in this topic

[IJN]
Players
112 posts
3,765 battles

The Ayanami-class destroyer DD-103 (1958).

EBWflFhUcAEz8Nj?format=jpg&name=large

About this ship.

Spoiler

''The Ayanami-class was a destroyer class built for the JMSDF (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force) in the late 1950s.The primary purpose was anti-submarine warfare, so this class was classified as "DDK" (hunter-killer anti-submarine destroyer) unofficially.

This class adopted a "long forecastle" design with inclined afterdeck called "Holland Slope", named after the scenic sloping street in Nagasaki. Steam turbine propulsion systems were similar to the one of the Harukaze-class, but they varied little in each ships because the RoJN tried to find the best way in the propulsion systems of future surface combatants.

This class is equipped with six QF 4.5"/45-caliber Mk.V dual purpose naval guns with dual mounts, a pair of Hedgehog ASW mortors, a quartet of Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns and Type 95 Mod 1 torpedoes fired from a pair of 21" triple torpedo tubes.

All seven vessels were named after Fubuki-class destroyers and Yūgumo-class destroyers, Ayanami being named after a Fubuki-class destroyer of the same name, which was lost in action at Guadalcanal. The remaining six were also named after WWII Imperial Japanese Navy destroyers, all being lost during the war.''

Specifications

Type: Destroyer

Service Period: 1958-1990

Characteristics:

Length: 358 feet (109.12 meters)

Beam: 35 feet (10.67 meters)

Depth: 26 feet 8 inches (8.13 meters)

Draft: 12 feet (3.66 meters)

Displacement: 1,690 tons (Standard); 2,500 tons (Full Load)

Crew: 220

Propulsion: 2 x boilers, 2 x steam turbines, 2 x shafts, 35,000 shp (26,250 shp)

Speed: 32 knots (59.26 km/h)

Sensor suite:

OPS-1 Air Search RDF

OPS-5 Surface Search RDF

Type 975 Navigation RDF

Type 275 Fire Control RDF

OQY-1 Hull Mounted ASDIC

OQA-1A Variable Depth ASDIC

Countermeasures:

NOLR-1 Electronic Countermeasures Suite

Armament:

6 x QF 4.5"/45-caliber Mk.V dual purpose naval guns (3x2)

4 x 21" torpedo tubes

2 x Hedgehog anti-submarine mortars

2 x K-guns

Her main guns are rather small in caliber of only 76 mm but with a very high RoF upto 45 rounds per minute for each barrel (1.3 second reload), the shell travels at 823 m/s which imo is decently fast so at close ranges the shell will travel at pretty flat arc, i think she could be a decent DD hunter for Tier 8.

She also has a single torpedo launcher of 4 tubes to deal with larger warships when needed.

My suggestion of consumables for this ship is as follow:

1st Sloth: Speed booster (Her historical speed is very low of only 32 knots so SB is important for this ship) or  Hydroacoustic Search (Lot of sensors onboard this ship. Her main task is to hunt down submarines and destroyers so this tool will make her job easier but in return she will have trouble keeping up with other DDs because she has to give up the speed booster. So this consumable is only useful for enemies that hiding in smoke screen or behind an island).

2nd Sloth: Torpedo reload booster (A typical consumable usually found on Japanese DDs. This will help Ayanami to release more fishs into the water as she only has 4 torpedos).

3st Sloth:  Smoke generator (Being some of the slowest high tier DDs her main issue is her speed, smoke generator is the only tool to get herself back into concealment once she is detected. Plus being slow will make this ship difficult to dodge incoming shells so if she has to always exposed herself everytime she fires will only get this ship back to the hanger very quickly therfore smoke generator will come in handy).

51128_1.jpg

She seems to had different variants throughout her time of service.   

10161999b.jpg

Ayanami in 1/700 scale. 3x2 76 mm gun, 2 turrets in the front and 1 in the rear, 533 mm torpedo tube in the middle.

EBWflfZUcAA48KQ?format=jpg&name=large  

3-inch/50-caliber gun Duel-purpose gun. This gun can elvate upto 85 degree. These seem to be her only AA guns.

EBWfl4dVUAAoMD8?format=jpg&name=large  

Not 100% sure what this is but it seems to be fire control radar or some sort.

%E3%81%8A%E3%81%8A%E3%81%AA%E3%81%BF.jpg 

Dutch slope of Onami.

Well, Because many nations already got post-war ships so i was thinking maybe it is time for Japan to get its own too.

While i was searching for one i found out that many of Japanese post war designs have quite a few main guns for example the Harukaze-class destroyer and Akizuki-class destroyer which are both armed with only 3 5-inch/38-caliber gun which is just too few and its reload is rather slow of 4 second, well, you can try this setup on the HSF Harekaze in the game and you will see that it is rearlly not good at all....

So Ayanami-class is probably the only Japanese post-war DD which is armed with upto 6x main guns albeit in a very small caliber, and she even has torpedos, therfore i found this ship to be the best choice should we get our own post-war warships for Japanese tree...

• Cool 1

[R3B3L]
Players
1,414 posts
32,668 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 7:30 PM, BooMKani_Sensei said:

3-inch/50-caliber gun Duel-purpose gun. This gun can elvate upto 85 degree. These seem to be her only AA guns.

In your own post it says:

This class is equipped with (...) a quartet of Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns

Looks like the AA-suite was changed over time, which gives WG some options to choose the (gameplay-wise) more fitting variant.

Also, the 76´s remind me of the 76´s on the USS Salem which are far superior to any 40mm´s and make a formidable AA-suite, especially on such a light vessel.

The speed is low, same as the irl speed of T-22. Here WG could do one of the "un-historical" tweaks and make 35kn+boost out of it.

This will come in handy soon(TM)

On 1/30/2021 at 12:22 PM, S_h_i_v_a said:

76 mm guns for WoWs? Vs BBs completely useless!

It would rely completely on fires, except WG gives the shells some "super-pen" like on the 100mm´s.

Alternatively a fast reload on torpedoes to deal with big targets while the 76´s are for fighting other destroyers.

But the small caliber would sure make it a specialized ship.

(Besides; Tachibana also has 76mm main guns :Smile_child:)

Until now for me the story of the Japanese fleet "ended" in 1945. But the Ayanami class really looks interesting and I hope WG will find a way to bring us these!

• Cool 1

[URUC]
Players
372 posts
5 minuti fa, VIadoCro ha scritto:

(Besides; Tachibana also has 76mm main guns :Smile_child:)

At tier 2! :Smile_ohmy:

[IJN]
Players
112 posts
3,765 battles
On 1/30/2021 at 12:22 PM, S_h_i_v_a said:

Are you proposing a ship with 76 mm guns for WoWs? Vs BBs completely useless!

You get 4 torpedo if you really need to fight anything larger than a DD but its main task is to deal with small boats, although its guns are rather small but will be compensate for the super high RoF, you can put out hundred of rounds in a short amount of time.

If they give it usable HE pen then you only have low alpha damage to worry about but just like the Akizuki-class which has rather high DPM despite having some of the smallest guns, WG gave its HE pen of 30 mm and 3 second reload which made it some of the best gun boats, same thing can be done for the Ayanami.

[IJN]
Players
112 posts
3,765 battles
On 2/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, VIadoCro said:

Looks like the AA-suite was changed over time, which gives WG some options to choose the (gameplay-wise) more fitting variant.

Also, the 76´s remind me of the 76´s on the USS Salem which are far superior to any 40mm´s and make a formidable AA-suite, especially on such a light vessel.

It is very difficult to find how many times this ship got changes in armament and so on, not much information in this case.

51128_1.jpg

However i'm aware that this ship went through modernizations at some point because for example in this drawing you can see that the 1983 version has the 533 mm torpedo in the middle removed and being replaced by somekind of a hangar, it also instead has Mk 32 short torpedo on each side if you look closely.

But this is anti-sub torpedo, idk how useful it can be even if we get submarines in the game, i find the larger torps would be more useful...

Players
1,081 posts
On 1/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, BooMKani_Sensei said:

The Ayanami-class destroyer DD-103 (1958).

EBWflFhUcAEz8Nj?format=jpg&name=large

About this ship.

Reveal hidden contents

''The Ayanami-class was a destroyer class built for the JMSDF (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force) in the late 1950s.The primary purpose was anti-submarine warfare, so this class was classified as "DDK" (hunter-killer anti-submarine destroyer) unofficially.

This class adopted a "long forecastle" design with inclined afterdeck called "Holland Slope", named after the scenic sloping street in Nagasaki. Steam turbine propulsion systems were similar to the one of the Harukaze-class, but they varied little in each ships because the RoJN tried to find the best way in the propulsion systems of future surface combatants.

This class is equipped with six QF 4.5"/45-caliber Mk.V dual purpose naval guns with dual mounts, a pair of Hedgehog ASW mortors, a quartet of Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns and Type 95 Mod 1 torpedoes fired from a pair of 21" triple torpedo tubes.

All seven vessels were named after Fubuki-class destroyers and Yūgumo-class destroyers, Ayanami being named after a Fubuki-class destroyer of the same name, which was lost in action at Guadalcanal. The remaining six were also named after WWII Imperial Japanese Navy destroyers, all being lost during the war.''

Specifications

Type: Destroyer

Service Period: 1958-1990

Characteristics:

Length: 358 feet (109.12 meters)

Beam: 35 feet (10.67 meters)

Depth: 26 feet 8 inches (8.13 meters)

Draft: 12 feet (3.66 meters)

Displacement: 1,690 tons (Standard); 2,500 tons (Full Load)

Crew: 220

Propulsion: 2 x boilers, 2 x steam turbines, 2 x shafts, 35,000 shp (26,250 shp)

Sensor suite:

OPS-1 Air Search RDF

OPS-5 Surface Search RDF

Type 975 Navigation RDF

Type 275 Fire Control RDF

OQY-1 Hull Mounted ASDIC

OQA-1A Variable Depth ASDIC

Countermeasures:

NOLR-1 Electronic Countermeasures Suite

Armament:

6 x QF 4.5"/45-caliber Mk.V dual purpose naval guns (3x2)

4 x 21" torpedo tubes

2 x K-guns

Her main guns are rather small in caliber of only 76 mm but with a very high RoF upto 45 rounds per minute for each barrel (1.3 second reload), the shell travels at 823 m/s which imo is decently fast so at close ranges the shell will travel at pretty flat arc, i think she could be a decent DD hunter for Tier 8.

She also has a single torpedo launcher of 4 tubes to deal with larger warships when needed.

My suggestion of consumables for this ship is as follow:

1st Sloth: Speed booster (Her historical speed is very low of only 32 knots so SB is important for this ship) or  Hydroacoustic Search (Lot of sensors onboard this ship. Her main task is to hunt down submarines and destroyers so this tool will make her job easier but in return she will have trouble keeping up with other DDs because she has to give up the speed booster. So this consumable is only useful for enemies that hiding in smoke screen or behind an island).

2nd Sloth: Torpedo reload booster (A typical consumable usually found on Japanese DDs. This will help Ayanami to release more fishs into the water as she only has 4 torpedos).

3st Sloth:  Smoke generator (Being some of the slowest high tier DDs her main issue is her speed, smoke generator is the only tool to get herself back into concealment once she is detected. Plus being slow will make this ship difficult to dodge incoming shells so if she has to always exposed herself everytime she fires will only get this ship back to the hanger very quickly therfore smoke generator will come in handy).

51128_1.jpg

She seems to had different variants throughout her time of service.   

10161999b.jpg

Ayanami in 1/700 scale. 3x2 76 mm gun, 2 turrets in the front and 1 in the rear, 533 mm torpedo tube in the middle.

EBWflfZUcAA48KQ?format=jpg&name=large  

EBWfl4dVUAAoMD8?format=jpg&name=large  

Not 100% sure what this is but it seems to be fire control radar or some sort.

%E3%81%8A%E3%81%8A%E3%81%AA%E3%81%BF.jpg 

Dutch slope of Onami.

Well, Because many nations already got post-war ships so i was thinking maybe it is time for Japan to get its own too.

While i was searching for one i found out that many of Japanese post war designs have quite a few main guns for example the Harukaze-class destroyer and Akizuki-class destroyer which are both armed with only 3 5-inch/38-caliber gun which is just too few and its reload is rather slow of 4 second, well, you can try this setup on the HSF Harekaze in the game and you will see that it is rearlly not good at all....

So Ayanami-class is probably the only Japanese post-war DD which is armed with upto 6x main guns albeit in a very small caliber, and she even has torpedos, therfore i found this ship to be the best choice should we get our own post-war warships for Japanese tree...

Maybe once the actual historical ships are added in. Maybe we can have a whole new part of WoWs dedicated to modern ships with separate match making from tier 10 and below. Tier start from 11 till 15. What say?? This is years off tho

[IJN]
Players
112 posts
3,765 battles
9 hours ago, totally_potato said:

Maybe once the actual historical ships are added in. Maybe we can have a whole new part of WoWs dedicated to modern ships with separate match making from tier 10 and below. Tier start from 11 till 15. What say?? This is years off tho

If you think the Ayanami is too modern, well, i got a surprise for you:

Spoiler

phpMjmgEL

And oh this thing got out of service just 5 years ago btw lololol actually we already have a plenty of modern ships in the game especially in the pan-European TT so the Ayanami would not be anything different in the current meta...

WG is not going to bother seperate the match making between modern and ww2, it will take time and will also increase the queue time.

Players
1,081 posts
9 hours ago, BooMKani_Sensei said:

If you think the Ayanami is too modern, well, i got a surprise for you:

Hide contents

phpMjmgEL

And oh this thing got out of service just 5 years ago btw lololol actually we already have a plenty of modern ships in the game especially in the pan-European TT so the Ayanami would not be anything different in the current meta...

WG is not going to bother seperate the match making between modern and ww2, it will take time and will also increase the queue time.

Yeah this ship surprised me. Putting a 21st century ship into a WW2 game. 

9 hours ago, BooMKani_Sensei said:

But WG is doing the seperate the match making between old and modern with WoT console I think. They released a trailer for it. As for WoW, it will take time but will be worth for the sake of their game. This is years off, let all the historical and paper projects be introduced. Then this can be thought of. But I think it needs to come soon. Then the whole title World of warships will be complete.

Sign in to follow this