Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bindolaf_Werebane

Question on how to proceed

20 comments in this topic

Players
852 posts
8,060 battles

I need an opinion please.

The captain rework, glorious as it is, is a beta, sorry... an alpha. The next patch hits... next Thursday? One after? Whenever.

Anyway, I fully expect WG to let things go as they are, until people have bought Italian BBs, then switch the captain skills around (i.e. nerf them). Thus my conundrum: should I unspec all captains again before the next patch? How am I going to play, though? What do you think?

Thanks.

[LEEUW]
Players
3,166 posts
10,750 battles
5 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

should I unspec all captains again before the next patch? How am I going to play, though? What do you think?

You can freely respec until Feb 18th. So once you get familiar with them speccing before a match should take just a few seconds.

[CAIN]
Players
4,939 posts
20,778 battles

Yep, what Garrus said.

Also, when does the next patch hits?

Players
852 posts
8,060 battles
13 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

You can freely respec until Feb 18th. So once you get familiar with them speccing before a match should take just a few seconds.

But after the 17th respec won't be free anymore. And I fully expect WG to nerf/change skills after that date. And you can be damn sure I'm not spending money on the game - let alone to respec captains.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,977 posts
15,475 battles
34 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

What do you think?

My plan at the moment, FWIW, is along the following lines:

• Play as much as possible while the respec is free, and try and test as many possibilities as possible during that time; bonus points for building up a decent stash of ecxp in the process and/or getting some key 19 pointers closer to 21 points.
  • The day before the next patch, reset every commander I've used during the test phase (trying not to forget any class trees, as I have several captains that have been used in all four classes via premiums).
  • After that, focus on as few captains as possible, and ideally avoid the 'special' captains as much as possible, whilst still playing a reasonable amount.
  • I'm assuming that WG will make some sort of Richard move with regards to buffing/nerfing captain skills, and do so in such a way that we basically have to pay; by using non-special captains to start with, it increases the chances of my having to mothball captains that matter less (due to their having sub-optimal builds that I won't pay money to fix).
  • Hope like hell we have a reasonable idea of where this is all going to end up before I 'need' to commit to builds on my more valuable 'magic' captains...
  • Cool 6

Players
3,184 posts
14,794 battles
42 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

But after the 17th respec won't be free anymore. And I fully expect WG to nerf/change skills after that date. And you can be damn sure I'm not spending money on the game - let alone to respec captains.

i think it was in the announcements thread where a WG employee (mr conway i think) said if there were any further big changes to the skills there would be a free reset again

• Funny 4

[DTABM]
Players
169 posts
6,306 battles
46 minutes ago, Salentine said:

i think it was in the announcements thread where a WG employee (mr conway i think) said if there were any further big changes to the skills there would be a free reset again

Well first thing, who would believe them judging by the past track record on this ? And second thing, define "big change" in WG way and you always have an open road for more money grab.

• Cool 7

[SM0KE]
Players
6,977 posts
15,475 battles
46 minutes ago, Salentine said:

if there were any further big changes to the skills there would be a free reset again

The question will be what constitutes a 'big' change; my fear is that the yes/no balance between a small number of skills per tree will change enough that anyone who wants to optimise their captains will 'have' to change, but the changes on their own won't be so drastic that WG feel obliged to provide a free reset.

I don't believe that many (any?) of us believe for a second that these changes are about anything other than making more money, so the eventual answer will revolve around what makes WG more money in relation to manageable customer upset.

• Cool 4

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,739 posts
11,844 battles

I would suggest quit playing until the situation settles. We do not know where they going or what they are planning and knowing WeeGee they could easily smash in anything anytime.

So I would suggest taking a little break until they declare the change somewhat final. But of course only if you don't want to get shafted too hard.

• Cool 4

Players
852 posts
8,060 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

My plan at the moment, FWIW, is along the following lines:

• Play as much as possible while the respec is free, and try and test as many possibilities as possible during that time; bonus points for building up a decent stash of ecxp in the process and/or getting some key 19 pointers closer to 21 points.
  • The day before the next patch, reset every commander I've used during the test phase (trying not to forget any class trees, as I have several captains that have been used in all four classes via premiums).
  • After that, focus on as few captains as possible, and ideally avoid the 'special' captains as much as possible, whilst still playing a reasonable amount.
  • I'm assuming that WG will make some sort of Richard move with regards to buffing/nerfing captain skills, and do so in such a way that we basically have to pay; by using non-special captains to start with, it increases the chances of my having to mothball captains that matter less (due to their having sub-optimal builds that I won't pay money to fix).
  • Hope like hell we have a reasonable idea of where this is all going to end up before I 'need' to commit to builds on my more valuable 'magic' captains...

This is a great strategy,  thanks!

• Cool 1

Players
2,488 posts
2 hours ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Then do as I and many others have done... use one Silver Ship, your premium ships and only use once Captain. 

For example:

My Z-46 Captain (lvl19) Captains my Z-46, Z-39, Pommern, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Friedrich & Graf Spee...

My Gearing Captain (lvl 19) Captains my Gearing, Kidd, Sims, Monaghan, Missouri, Massa, Alaska, Anchorage & Indianapolis.............

As one Captain can fill the boots of four different classes it isn't a tough call.

Then after the 17th of February providing WG doesn't change anything re-spec your other captains as you please.

[GWR]
Players
568 posts
9,800 battles
2 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

i seem to have hit the sweetspot with some ships so no worries, still have about 90% to do though...no rush

Players
2,488 posts
1 minute ago, illy said:

i seem to have hit the sweetspot with some ships so no worries, still have about 90% to do though...no rush

You do know that there is a reset button for all Captains?

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,329 battles

How to proceed depends on what ships you play &, ofc, how many Cpts you spec to more than one class of ship & even how many Cpts you can or want to get to 21 pts asap.

For me, personally, as I run a dedicated Cpt on all my 90 0dd ships - I just spec them as I see fit during this free reset time.

I watch to see what other good players say about these new Cpt skills & use what is argued are the better skills such as I can obtain.

Since I only have one 19 pt Cpt & an inability to even buy one 21 pter via my accumulated FXP & Elite Cpt EXP - I concentrate on the 'basic' ship class skills for all my ships.

Most of these basic ship class skills are not likely to be altered now since WG couldn't cpmpletely wreak the old Cpt skills (just partially wreak them, I suppose).

The alterations to these new Cpt skills as they are now will affect those players with plenty of high point Cpts (15/16+ pt Cpts, ones that can even take multiple 3 & 4 pt Cpt skills).

I figure most of my ships Cpts will weather any future Cpt skill alterations quite well.

As for spending any more money - giving War Cheating another penny? ROFL. 

[GWR]
Players
568 posts
9,800 battles
17 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

You do know that there is a reset button for all Captains?

yeah the reset is done, more about the builds....most i just cannot bother with to be honest....i'll do it in the fullness of time

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,764 posts
22,584 battles

And after doing the global reset before the 18th Feb there's of course the option to go into the Dark Depths of T2 brawling with a ship with an untrained captain... or just play CoOp for a while until all the dreg of the skill reeework has settled

Players
10,391 posts
12,044 battles
21 hours ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

I need an opinion please.

The captain rework, glorious as it is, is a beta, sorry... an alpha. The next patch hits... next Thursday? One after? Whenever.

Anyway, I fully expect WG to let things go as they are, until people have bought Italian BBs, then switch the captain skills around (i.e. nerf them). Thus my conundrum: should I unspec all captains again before the next patch? How am I going to play, though? What do you think?

Thanks.

Reset all the captains except those few on ships you tend to play the most and even those could run barebone build, so any resets down the line won't be as expensive. You can cut down playtime or quit the game entirely for few months, comeback and see how REEEworks got REEEworked.

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,237 posts
9,993 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Reset all the captains except those few on ships you tend to play the most and even those could run barebone build, so any resets down the line won't be as expensive. You can cut down playtime or quit the game entirely for few months, comeback and see how REEEworks got REEEworked.

Or you just do it like me.

Play the Ships you want. But at the end of the Day before logging off. Make sure to Reset their Skills for Free again.

So that when any Updates etc are Made. You have your Points available again.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

that video is awesome.

i feel like i can now go upload wows videos informing people based on my 187 iq potato powers after watching.

Sign in to follow this