Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gebbly

Slow, steady progression

14 comments in this topic

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts

The first time I played this game I was keen to get to the higher tier ships with all their cool abilities so I would get ships as soon as I had the XP. Looking back that was far too quickly and watching people like Jingles, Flamu and Flambass, they sometimes mention the huge numbers of games it took to progress to next tier ships when they started playing.

In case this is useful for anyone else I am finding a good pace is to only purchase the next ship in a line once I have trained up a commander from scratch to at least a 6pt commander in my current ship. In fact personally I am taking this one step further and trying to resist getting the next ship in a line until after I have a 10pt commander in my current ship.

Of course this can be awkward in the very early tiers because getting into tier 2 or 3 matches can take a while as not many people seem to play them but I think its worth persevering.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles

image.png.1f264ad999df0efeeeb59b0ff896d365.png

Thats my first line i played in 2016-2017. Getting Hindenburg took me a little over a year. Not sure how many games i had back then, something like 2k id say. Excessive Hipper games were a result of Missions btw, i didnt need 247 games to get to T9 :cap_haloween:

image.png.7ad7781a36df03a0a7ab6822a2738672.png

And thats most recently. I did freeXP the last 40k to get an extra snowflake, but thats saved me like 2 games or something.

12 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

In fact personally I am taking this one step further and trying to resist getting the next ship in a line until after I have a 10pt commander in my current ship. 

you should take the better captain to the next ship tho. Once you get to T5-7, starting with a 0pt captain gets kinda awkward. I think you should rather look at how you perform in a specific ship, and once you get a decent WR (like >50%) and damage. If you got that, progress to the next tier.

https://wows-numbers.com/

Thats a good site to see how you perform in relation to other people.

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,369 posts
14,450 battles

This is a game where the journey is more important than the destination, and in addition there is no end goal. Also, in view of the observed behaviour of WG, anything may happen to the game which may change the experience, so far often for the worse. 

So yeah, take your time to learn, and as importantly, to enjoy the game at each stage. Of course, having some nice high tier ships and premiums is part of that enjoyment. But game play at high tiers is not more fun as it is often static sniping and camping. So, my advice is to look for the sweet spots in the game, such as some excellent T6, 7 and 8 ships, ship classes that suit you and some premiums that work for you.

• Cool 1

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

'slow steady progress' approach wouldn't work anymore. New players see 50 different ship lines and want them all. It's different from the times when it were only 10 lines to grind in total. Also new lines are introduced faster then average players can grind them. It takes me three month to grind a line for example if I go for one line only, four lines per year. All the ranked and clan battles don't contribute to grind much but take half of my time.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,717 posts
11,779 battles
35 minutes ago, Perekotypole said:

'slow steady progress' approach wouldn't work anymore. New players see 50 different ship lines and want them all. It's different from the times when it were only 10 lines to grind in total. Also new lines are introduced faster then average players can grind them. It takes me three month to grind a line for example if I go for one line only, four lines per year. All the ranked and clan battles don't contribute to grind much but take half of my time.

I don't really understand this.

If I play a game I play for fun. I don't "grind" to get the TX ship I just wanna have fun with what I have.

The moment you "need to" get all the ships or "have to" do this or that, from that moment on you are not playing, you are working.

• Cool 3

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Humorpalanta sagte:

If I play a game I play for fun. I don't "grind" to get the TX ship I just wanna have fun with what I have.

The moment you "need to" get all the ships or "have to" do this or that, from that moment on you are not playing, you are working.

Sense of progression is a huge part of most games. Most players measure their time in game by milestones like first coal premium, first tier 10 grinded, first lvl 19 (21) captain obtained and so on. In short, there's less sense of progression when you take three month to grind one of fourty possible lines. And it probably affects player numbers, so WG are reducing grind as variety grows. And naturally making money on it.

• Cool 1

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,316 battles
1 hour ago, Humorpalanta said:

Except, Humorpalanta, many players want to rush to T10 as fast as they can. WG even encourages this by focusing most things on the higher tiers even to the point of offering increasing  numbers of high tier ship (including, ofc, a purchasable ARP Yamato now).

There are several options still available for new tech tree lines but not many. Note how WG is not doing as much or as quickly as they might in this regard.

Another take forever introduction (the Ita BB line)

Any information on an Ita DD line? Not that I know of.

Any information on a European Cruiser line (or lines)? Not that I know of.

Any information on any Commonwealth Cruiser or DD lines? Not that I know of.

Any information on any Pan American Cruiser line (Nuevo Julio, etc)? Not that I know of.

Have I missed any other tech tree line the Devs could be working on? Add if anyone can think of any.

As to the pre WW1 ships WoWS ignored. Forget about that now. That ship sailed as soon as WG decided not to start this game a little earlier in chronological time.

Seems all WG management can do with their Devs is to pump out weird Halloween, Sci-Fi & Anime (of 'questionable' artistic quality) and all aimed at the 'teen' market.

I quite agree with your sentiment, Humorpalanta, that WoWS should be journey.

Unfortunately, WG has ignored or thrown out their original journey concept and has increasingly sold out for as much money as they can sucker from the rubes as they can.

It used to be costly in credits to grind ships. Now credits are extremely easy to accumulate even for slug earners like me.

It used to take time to grind ship lines but not anymore. Players brag about how fast they can reach T10, not once but several times just to get the coveted better legendary ship equipment.

You see, all these "I want it now" 'babies' that WG clearly markets to can't handle patience & a more difficult grind.

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
3,060 posts
Vor 44 Minuten, Aethervoxx sagte:

"I want it now"

This is pretty much the current credo of a majority of humankind. And it will be the path towards our extinction. 💀

• Cool 3

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,316 battles
6 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

This is pretty much the current credo of a majority of humankind. And it will be the path towards our extinction. 💀

I can't even give you a plus vote (although you deserve one - oh what the H, I give you one anyway) as what you say is too likely too true :cap_like:

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

other than game balance being trash at t10 there isnt much point in 'progressing' there.

t6&7 is peak fun.

2 hours ago, Aethervoxx said:

You see, all these "I want it now" 'babies' that WG clearly markets to can't handle patience & a more difficult grind.

the game is literally designed to tell players t10 is the best because its tier 10, both game balance and economy tell players to have the high tier ships.

just look at the reward totals post match for given tiers and you will see a clear "path of least resistance".

a long grind is in no way a "journy". its just a time gate. a way to artificially inflate content by making people play progress bar simulator.

you want people to play lower tiers you either make lower tiers fun in their own right by adjusting the gameplay and economy so players can choose the environment they prefer without blatant exploitation of human weakness to rational fallacy.

• Cool 2

Players
1,078 posts
3,828 battles
15 hours ago, Humorpalanta said:

it's because the playing experience is pretty bad with most ships.

especially as a noob, one always gets farmed by other ships, higher tier ships, and the thinking is probably that when a higher tier is reached, the noob player himself can farm. ultimately, reaching tier 10, the player will play on equal terms with others, as there is no higher tier. but it's all an illusion.

there are a few ships where leveling up is not the first thing a player looks forward to - but they are rare.

the tier 7 EU DD Skane was like that for me, and Kongo, Fuso, Normandie, maybe Nürnberg.

the feeling I got playing most ships is that the ship must be pretty bad and that I needed to level up.

I was wrong.

I needed to uninstall.

also, there is a constant pressure to level up to get mission rewards. daily missions from tier 5 and up, campaigns tier 6, 7, 8 minimum. operations needed tier 6 and 7... so no surprise there either.

• Cool 1

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,316 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 3:28 AM, Gebbly said:

The first time I played this game I was keen to get to the higher tier ships with all their cool abilities so I would get ships as soon as I had the XP. Looking back that was far too quickly

You weren't here at the beginning of WoWS, Gebbly, when there was a section of the players who did just what you refer to - they rushed to T10 asap.

The hilarious part was that section of the players when they got to T10 then whined that there weren't enough players to play against (LOL).

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts

I think I would add to what I said previously with, you dont have to get to tier 10. If you find a lower tier that is fun for you in a particular ship you might find it more worthwhile to just stay there and enjoy yourself. For example playing very low tier destroyers is quite enjoyable with no radar or aircraft carriers I can sometimes manage to actually sneak up on a battleship for a torpedo shot with my british destroyer (with its concealment the same or worse than its torpedo range).

Sign in to follow this