You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Question for WG - are there any plans for introducing visual clues for new Captain skills ON / OFF (i.e. for player to know whether those new skills are are actually in use at some point in the game)?

45 comments in this topic

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,739 posts
11,844 battles

My imaginary answer from WeeGee:

Spoiler

Hello.

Yes, we are aware that some of the players have problems understanding and keeping up when the skill are active hence we will soon introduce some visual aid to provide this information to the players.

This action is on our list and we will roll out an update when these will arrive.

However there is a more important function that we are working on currently which means that this aid will come at a later time that I currently cannot state here for obvious reasons.

As soon as we introduce some new functions to the UI and some improvements with the game data tool then we will start working on this visual aid.

The new UI elements are currently a priority which will come within 3-4 main updates and after that we can work on this simple code for you.

Thank you for understanding!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 7

Players
3,502 posts
12,184 battles
14 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

IMHO this is HUGE oversight on behalf of the WG

Oversite or incompetence :cap_hmm:

I cant believe not one person in the development department didn't bring this up.

And I'm sure that when people tested the skills they...Oh wait, that's right they weren't tested and zero feedback was able to be given :Smile_facepalm: Not like they have EVER listened to any feedback from testing.

image.jpeg.34eb2ed1096e883dc3dc8b2924ff5cc8.jpeg

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts

Why would it even matter? Most skills are either minute bonuses that are largely irrelevant in a sence of knowing if they are on or not regarding to your actuall play, for instance you shoot with a BB with deaeye and you get the dispersion that you get in that salvo based on all the factors, you will harldy not fire just because deadeye is not active if a target presents a broadside OR they are very obviously active when they are, for instance your speed is greater then normal or your reload is shorter or whatever...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

Players
1,533 posts
1 minute ago, Yedwy said:

Why would it even matter? Most skills are either minute bonuses that are largely irrelevant in a sence of knowing if they are on or not regarding to your actuall play, for instance you shoot with a BB with deaeye and you get the dispersion that you get in that salvo based on all the factors, you will harldy not fire just because deadeye is not active if a target presents a broadside OR they are very obviously active when they are, for instance your speed is greater then normal or your reload is shorter or whatever...

Thats a weak argument. A player has to know if his bonuses are active or not, Otherwise how can he make decisions in order to keep them active as long as possible? This is all just quality of life which is missing.

This rework was half baked and forced into the game, with feedback which was ignored. In any game of good quality such a rework would have been a year in the making, if not even longer. WG Fast-tracked it in about 2 months with minimal changes.

• Cool 3

[-WHO-]
Players
132 posts
10,787 battles

Yes, you can have that in our super premium account, or our silver and gold credit card members. It has a monthly cost of 1350 suclouns its a new currency will introduce later this year to have a more diverse and flexible way to extract money from our dumb clients

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
24 minutes ago, Kazomir said:

Thats a weak argument. A player has to know if his bonuses are active or not, Otherwise how can he make decisions in order to keep them active as long as possible?

And which skill in particular worries you?

Beta Tester
2,204 posts
12,848 battles
1 hour ago, Kazomir said:

Thats a weak argument. A player has to know if his bonuses are active or not, Otherwise how can he make decisions in order to keep them active as long as possible? This is all just quality of life which is missing.

This rework was half baked and forced into the game, with feedback which was ignored. In any game of good quality such a rework would have been a year in the making, if not even longer. WG Fast-tracked it in about 2 months with minimal changes.

This!

I'm for one would love to see an indicator for when some of the new skills are active mostly because im curious if WG has implemented this correct. There are many things that are so unclear even before this patch (like spotting in general ... if I see a radar icon is it only radar or radar and hydro or radar and hydro and hard spotting..?). Look at Dazzle for DDs, it would be nice if I actually get something for those 4 captain points, for instance do they effect CV rockets and bombs as well or only HE/AP/ZAP? Because a Carriers blasting me for 50% of my HP in one rocket strike is kind of an issue.

I would love to see an indicator that the game itself actually reacts to something should be different even for a short duration because otherwise I wouldn't really rely on this working as intended .... considering WGs track record

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,317 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Humorpalanta sagte:

My imaginary answer from WeeGee:

Versteckte Inhalte sichtbar machen

Hello.

Yes, we are aware that some of the players have problems understanding and keeping up when the skill are active hence we will soon introduce some visual aid to provide this information to the players.

This action is on our list and we will roll out an update when these will arrive.

However there is a more important function that we are working on currently which means that this aid will come at a later time that I currently cannot state here for obvious reasons.

As soon as we introduce some new functions to the UI and some improvements with the game data tool then we will start working on this visual aid.

The new UI elements are currently a priority which will come within 3-4 main updates and after that we can work on this simple code for you.

Thank you for understanding!

Hmmm... I imagined it would be something like this:

Dear Captain.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input very much. We will monitor the situation and will make changes if deemed necessary. Please understand that at this point we cannot tell if and when such changes will be made.

Happy sailing.

[NECRO]
Players
3,180 posts

Would be really nice to be able to see your reload in real time. Half the time I am checking if AR is active, the reduction is not reflected in the ship reload stats, and every time I am in 2ndary range I need to hover over the ammo to check if CQB is active. With AR not calculated in even if my ship is at 10% HP, and the reload booster time also not being included in the real time data, testing practical minimal reload times with acceptable damage to the own ship becomes futile. But somehow even basic math functions - which do work, as far as I can tell - fail to deliver visible data to the player. Sloppy coding or laziness?

[ALYEN]
Players
2,647 posts
4,358 battles
2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

IMHO this is HUGE oversight on behalf of the WG

Not oversight, this was pointed out by CCs in their commentaries and by people in the forums commenting on the devblogs and in PTS threads.

I'd classify that as gross incompetence ...

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,976 posts
15,475 battles

It would certainly be helpful to have indicators that tell you when one of these 'if-when' skills activates, if only to inform decision making in 'edge' cases.

It also reminds me that I was wondering if there is a way of telling if a BB has Deadeye or not, beyond the current tendency to head for the map borders if they have? It occurred to me that - especially on smaller maps - sneaky ships like DDs have the potential to make partial 'mission kills' on BBs by merely being within the BB's 'standard' detection distance and allowing themselves to be fleetingly spotted (maybe by surfing their own detection distance). It's probably quite a lot of work for marginal gain (why not just torp the buggers if you're that close?), but being able to effectively knock four points off an opposing captain's value is perhaps at least worth vaguely contemplating?

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
12 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

but being able to effectively knock four points off an opposing captain's value is perhaps at least worth vaguely contemplating?

Mhm, right up until that said BB turns the guns your way and vaporises you couse being 12-13 km from a BB let alone closer while spotted all the time is hardly compatible with a long life expectancy...

I know, you now think - but many BB players are potatoes, sure BUT does it even matter if you reduced the dispersion of such guy 10%?

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,976 posts
15,475 battles
4 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Mhm, right up until that said BB turns the guns your way and vaporises you couse being 12-13 km from a BB let alone closer while spotted all the time is hardly compatible with a long life expectancy...

You're entirely correct, if it's one-on-one; I was more thinking about trying to help team-mates that said BB was shooting at, so meaning he isn't focusing his attention on me.

It's probably way above my skill level though, as you have to appear just as the BB is about to fire at your allies, and then disappear again right after, before anyone can take too lethal an interest in you. Like I said earlier, better to just torp the blighters, especially at my skill level.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
25 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It also reminds me that I was wondering if there is a way of telling if a BB has Deadeye or not, beyond the current tendency to head for the map borders if they have? It occurred to me that - especially on smaller maps - sneaky ships like DDs have the potential to make partial 'mission kills' on BBs by merely being within the BB's 'standard' detection distance and allowing themselves to be fleetingly spotted (maybe by surfing their own detection distance). It's probably quite a lot of work for marginal gain (why not just torp the buggers if you're that close?), but being able to effectively knock four points off an opposing captain's value is perhaps at least worth vaguely contemplating?

Gunboat? Just dakka him from 12+km and he cant use deadeye :cap_haloween:

8 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

BUT does it even matter if you reduced the dispersion of such guy 10%?

For many players, better dispersion is actually worse, unless they shoot stationary BBs. But trying to hit a kiting Cruiser with good dispersion might be worse than shooting him with a shotgun. Who doesnt know the famous stray shell hitting your citadel from german BBs? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,115 posts
19,001 battles

Hi all,

16 hours ago, Verblonde said:

It would certainly be helpful to have indicators that tell you when one of these 'if-when' skills activates, if only to inform decision making in 'edge' cases.

Lets hope for some response... :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,156 posts
22,974 battles
4 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Lets hope for some response...

What a joker. :Smile_teethhappy:

[BAD-A]
Players
106 posts
7,585 battles
19 hours ago, Yedwy said:

And which skill in particular worries you?

I think it would be useful for the DD 'Dazzle' skill to know when the increased dispersion effect wears off

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
1 minute ago, Matty814 said:

I think it would be useful for the DD 'Dazzle' skill to know when the increased dispersion effect wears off

Well again - does it matter? I mean its basically this - you get spotted, you are running for your life, shells are coming your way, you will want to get undetected ASAP one way or another... I seriously doubt there is much kiting potential there as in get detected fire few shots and go dark and repeat, I mean with some DDs you might pull it off vs bigger stuff sure but how effective it is an entirely different matter...

I mean QOL thing - sure, but absolutely essential? Hardly...

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,378 posts
4,114 battles
22 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Question for WG - are there any plans for introducing visual clues for new Captain skills ON / OFF (i.e. for player to know whether those new skills are are actually in use at some point in the game)?

For example indicators for:

• "Dead Eye"
  • "Close Quarters Combat"
  • "Outnumbered"
  • "Top Grade Gunner"
  • etc.

IMHO this is HUGE oversight on behalf of the WG because many of the newly introduced skills are specific in usage and player simply has no clue whether the new captain skill is ON or OFF... we all have to check those skills in games during this patch and we simply don't know if they are working or not... :Smile_sad:

@MrConway please some info?

Leo "Apollo11"

We've received this feedback a lot and are looking into it. I cannot promise that we will implement it, but chances are quite good!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,115 posts
19,001 battles

Hi all,

8 minutes ago, MrConway said:

We've received this feedback a lot and are looking into it. I cannot promise that we will implement it, but chances are quite good!

Thanks for info - much appreciated! :Smile_honoring:

BTW, if I read you right, there is simply no chance that this will happen whilst this patch cadence is going on (i.e. while there is free Captain respec)... and that is something we really need in order to properly evaluate the new captain skills and their actual value in game...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,378 posts
4,114 battles
4 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Thanks for info - much appreciated! :Smile_honoring:

BTW, if I read you right, there is simply no chance that this will happen whilst this patch cadence is going on (i.e. while there is free Captain respec)... and that is something we really need in order to properly evaluate the new captain skills and their actual value in game...

Leo "Apollo11"

Definitely not during 0.10.0 and also unlikely for 0.10.1 to be honest, but the functionality of the skills will stay the same so I don't think that should be a deal breaker for the skills.

For most of them looking at the minimap will tell you if they are active and for Dazzle you just need to be good at counting :P

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Players
1,187 posts
13,523 battles
4 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Definitely not during 0.10.0 and also unlikely for 0.10.1 to be honest, but the functionality of the skills will stay the same so I don't think that should be a deal breaker for the skills.

For most of them looking at the minimap will tell you if they are active and for Dazzle you just need to be good at counting :P

Ill give you a suggestion on how to introduce them: 

In the style of "detected, priority target"

Have symbols somewhere on the UI for these skills, lighting up if theyre active. For Dazzle it can display friendly vs hostile count, so you can adjust your gameplay to that.

It would make UI crowded though, and apart from Dazzle i dont see the need myself.