Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lemasive

Remove the star saved in ranked

70 comments in this topic

[RHIP]
Players
437 posts
7,375 battles

There are just too many cons with the entire idea, rather than promoting team play it causes people to do the opposite. So the question is why it there from the start, what is the intention behind it?

Pros

• It makes it easier to rank up for certain types of ships
  • You should not get punished for playing well

Cons 

• People avoid helping the team, instead they focus on what gives them the most exp
  • What gives you exp and what doesn't give you exp is skewed to favor certain ships
  • Most players are not concerned with winning as much as not losing a star, as some losses are expected. This creates scenarios where people rather lose the game and perhaps save a star instead of trying their best to win.
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[-RAT-]
Players
31 posts
22,723 battles

if i see that i have to fight for keep a star is everything lost anyway.

It would be better to let players rank down. If you dont reach the rank1 in your leauge you should rank down: from Gold rank X to Silver rank 10, etc.  Becasue there will be more and more  Edited*  with every week in Gold. Edited*

Thank you WG for the new crap ranked mode, and for the useless cpt. rewrok.

• Funny 2

[2PTS]
Players
233 posts
9,495 battles

Big no.

Now as comes for the cons, if people are doing so then they should stick on randoms and coop. Not on ranked.

[SPURD]
Players
869 posts
6,596 battles

I changed my mind on this as well. If your team trolls you, at least you don't lose the star.

• Cool 2

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles

Better to just not play ranked at all, i gave it up for being bad for my health. When a mode is more frustrating then fun then its time to stop. Once again WG has pandered to the lowest common denominator so gold is full of people that should be in coop. Rewards are not worth wasting time being annoyed at the sheer lack of skill in this so called ‘ranked’ mode.

This is just yet another case of a failed and completely ruined WG ‘rework’.

One day they will rework something and actually improve the game. Even if it will be accidental and short lived before they set out to ruin it yet again.

• Cool 2

[RHIP]
Players
437 posts
7,375 battles
5 hours ago, PaP_Mentoles said:

Big no.

Now as comes for the cons, if people are doing so then they should stick on randoms and coop. Not on ranked.

What are you even suggesting, that the people should police themselves not to join ranked? 

Here is a tip for you, people don't do what you want in life. Stop assuming the best outcome.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts

Well I accepted a more zen approach about all that of late...

WG doesnt want to limit the participation of speshuls in any of the game modes in any kind, shape or form so the only way not to go insane is join the speshul crowd, dont give a ra*s a** about the rank you end up at, wr or any such bo**cks, just farm the steel for the wins each week and be done with it...

I concluded that the 11 wins in Silver league seem the best way to go and as an additional bonus I can grind the T9 ships in it... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[_OPC_]
Players
454 posts
17,155 battles
On 1/26/2021 at 10:40 PM, Kucsek said:

if i see that i have to fight for keep a star is everything lost anyway.

It would be better to let players rank down. If you dont reach the rank1 in your leauge you should rank down: from Gold rank X to Silver rank 10, etc.  Becasue there will be more and more  Edited*  with every week in Gold. Edited*

Thank you WG for the new crap ranked mode, and for the useless cpt. rewrok.

Powered by Invision Community

This should explain everything :)

The latest tops from WG devs are: blacklist and aiming bug, but no worries there will be more :)

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
11 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

I changed my mind on this as well. If your team trolls you, at least you don't lose the star.

I changed my view the other way around.
Playing for the win every time in my DDs (not by farming damage, but as a cap contesting DD hunter that attempts to screen for the fleet and zone out enemy DDs), I notice that while the win rate is overall good, the "save your star" mechanic is 2/3 times awarded to BB players that farm damage.

If anything, this mechanic seems mostly in place to placate BB players that are already getting coddled far too much by WG.

Conquerors and Thunderers especially seem to be the hot candidates for the #1 spot each game, and rarely do they make impactful plays to deserve that spot (win or loss regardless).

It's currently not uncommon to see a 48% BB player topping the board post-match, while me or some 55% radar cruiser end up somewhere near the middle, even though we did the heavy lifting for the team.
So my experience is that no, this star saving mechanic does not really let the good players get a chance to keep their star.
It does help the average damage farming BB though, and only lets the "good players" keep their star if they play the star saving game themselves.

[2PTS]
Players
233 posts
9,495 battles
7 hours ago, Lemasive said:

What are you even suggesting, that the people should police themselves not to join ranked? 

Here is a tip for you, people don't do what you want in life. Stop assuming the best outcome.

Yeah.

People should know their limits and capabilities. We are not all meant to be for ranked.

So, play some ranked. If you see that you can't cope, stop playing them and don't waste other people efforts (generally speaking, not talking about you). Simple.

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
5 minutes ago, PaP_Mentoles said:

Yeah.

People should know their limits and capabilities. We are not all meant to be for ranked.

So, play some ranked. If you see that you can't cope, stop playing them and don't waste other people efforts (generally speaking, not talking about you). Simple.

The problem would solve itself if people didn't get "locked" into higher leagues tbh.
If the really bad players would be stuck down in Bronze, we wouldn't see them slowly trickle up to Silver and Gold.
Bronze was supposed to be for bad players after all, and I see no harm in this personally if the system would just work as intended.

Preferably also with a hard cap on number of games each player is allowed to play in ranked, so that players cant do 100-200 battles per sprint to rank out (like a lot of the really bad players do).

• Cool 2

[2PTS]
Players
233 posts
9,495 battles

@Hirohito 

Clearly the system isn't working as it should. Not to be sounded as some kind of elitist, eventually all, or most, players will advance to Gold. Why that? Luck, get carried by team are the 2 basic factors.

And yes, people shouldn't be allowed to buy themselves into ranked just because they spent €€ to get a shiny T10 ship.

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
7 minutes ago, PaP_Mentoles said:

@Hirohito 

Clearly the system isn't working as it should. Not to be sounded as some kind of elitist, eventually all, or most, players will advance to Gold. Why that? Luck, get carried by team are the 2 basic factors.

Definitely.
Which is why this current ranked needs to be heavily reworked before the next sprint.
Until then I'm sticking to Silver where I seal club my way through with 70%+ WR, because there's just no incentive to go up to Gold atm and endure that many volatile games with such a large spread in average skill.
WG is really just encouraging better players to stay down in Bronze/Silver to reap easy rewards, while the bad players get tricked into Gold where they're stuck punching way above their weight.
The irony of that league system is striking.

• Cool 1

Players
1,923 posts
23,237 battles
4 hours ago, Yedwy said:

I concluded that the 11 wins in Silver league seem the best way to go and as an additional bonus I can grind the T9 ships in it... :Smile_trollface:

In gold are (I assume) the most back line sniper bobs in their thunderers. T10 is thanks to sniper Bobs unbearable... the gameplay is stale and boring af. 

Staying in Silver was the best choice I made this season. This sprint I try Yolo E. 

Back to topic: Safe a star can stay... or go. Doesnt matter really in sprints. Its easy enough to get thru them. If even Bots can rank out nowadays... who cares? 

Beta Tester
3,636 posts
16,605 battles
31 minutes ago, Prophecy82 said:

This sprint I try Yolo E. 

How did it go so far? I was actually thinking about doing the same, but I was wondering if there are too many radars... 

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
3 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

How did it go so far? I was actually thinking about doing the same, but I was wondering if there are too many radars... 

I don't have the Emilio myself, but from what I noticed so far, it works because enemy BBs are often overextended.
Therein also lies the problem with this boat though, because you're relying on dumb BB players to open up to you.
As a DD player I generally just zone out the Emilio if I come across one, but of course, he might spawn on a different flank and wreak havoc there against said bad BBs otherwise.

I can generally imagine some very volatile results in this boat, where you can carry a lot of games with some hail mary torp runs, but also be equally shut down by competent DD and cruiser players.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,625 posts
9,660 battles

Why? Without it we won't have chaos. And I like chaos :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
1,923 posts
23,237 battles
23 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Hard to tell... havent done a significant ammount of Ranked Battles in it. I found Udaloi and Tashkent to be easy mode compared to Yolo E. 

On the other hand, thanks to 21 Pt. captain you can get RPF, AFT and CE which makes it actually an useable DD hunter and gunboat.  

Radar isnt that much of a problem since cruisers are a rare breed in Ranked, at least thats my observation so far...

Dont contest caps early on... but thats a no brainer.  

[ICG]
Players
543 posts

Wasn't there a time that ranked (the first ranked) didn't have that save-my-star thing?  And people cried that they wanted such a thing because they didn't want to be punished for the bad gameplay of teammembers? 

Beta Tester
3,636 posts
16,605 battles
8 minutes ago, Prophecy82 said:

Hard to tell... havent done a significant ammount of Ranked Battles in it. I found Udaloi and Tashkent to be easy mode compared to Yolo E. 

On the other hand, thanks to 21 Pt. captain you can get RPF, AFT and CE which makes it actually an useable DD hunter and gunboat.  

I think "Dazzle" is a great addition to Emilio. Also "Swift in Silence" and that consumable action time skill.

But yeah, that is all for the yolo stuff...

Players
7,313 posts
11,668 battles

I wonder, if the people, that propose to remove this mechanic actually think about the consequnces? When you really dive into the numbers, you can only come to one conclusion: no, they dont.

So lets say, only winning gives you a star and losing always costs you a star. That means, only with winning you advance. A player with 60% WR in ranked - which is definalty really decent - would advance 1 star over the course of 10 games. So to gain 10 stars, you need to play 100 games. The further you go away from 60% WR, the more crazy it gets. You win 55% in ranked? nice, now you need 200 games to advance 10 stars. Did OP count, how many stars you need to rank out in Gold? I dont think so. Someone with 51% WR needs a staggering 1000 games to gain 10 stars. I mean, if thats what you want, OP, then sure. Just dont argue, that this isnt case because it is :)

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
31 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Had one try it yesterday while I was finishing my Drake to Goliath grind, didnt end well for him... :Smile_trollface:

[LSCA]
Players
1,649 posts
12,999 battles

this suggestion is been already typed before and like you see the star save still exist

Sign in to follow this