Jump to content
Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fesvil

What Wows was, what to bring back

49 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
926 posts
4,052 battles

There is always one actor and one who puts up with everything. Of course, the actor always goes one step further and tightens the thumbscrews a little more. And for everyone who leaves, hundreds come...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
63 posts
18,204 battles
20 minutes ago, Fesvil said:

Have read a few articles on Reddit, here, there and nowhere.. I get a feeling that most old farts like myself sort of miss the old Wargaming, the old World of Warships.

 

I remember sales and discounts that gave full doubloon refund. Made it a way for players to actually get some discount on doubloons when there were no doubloon sales. Now it's NO incentive to spend money in this game anymore, unless there's a ship you REALLY desire, but even then the admiral bundles are over bloated piles of smelly poo.

I remember there being 1 month with free exp conversion offer (35:1) and then the next month it was buy X amount of doubloons and get X% extra "free". Usually you could bet one offer would precede the other (so you would usually get a doubloon offer the patch before the free exp conversion offer). There hasn't been a doubloon sale for over 1 year. So, what do you spend the 30% coupon you get from WG on your anniversary, doubloons of course....

I remember silly events like the first year 1.april captains bath tub battles, hilarious, no more of that. 

I member the introduction of Pi-day, 14th of march, 1.5 years since last time we had that one, great camo, good looking with great bonuses.

I remember a sensible release of premium boats and not this volcanic eruption of crap and OP and everything in between as long as the numbers are huge!

I remember campaigns for the average player, not keen on getting mental issues from ranked or the frustration from clan members in clan battles, that rewarded steel, even if that was mostly a  one off.

I remember a sensible release of new tech tree lines without a crazy grind fest that incentive players to spend moolah on getting ships earlier.

I remember users being less toxic and actually contributing with good and constructive feedback. This point is as much the users being ragified by certain toxic streamers, but also WG fails to listen to some feedback. Which is what is now just a mess to find out and I'm not going to crawl down that path.

 

I know we can't go back, but I also wish WG would at least be a bit more forthcoming in providing feedback and reasoning. If users really want the drop chance for items in boxes, then it wouldn't kill neither the sales nor WG's self-respect to do it. I suppose I just still live a little in the past, wishing for the "good times", don't get me wrong, frustration was plentiful back then as well (CV's were much worse and way more OP back then, which ironically doesn't seem so, but seemingly players either have forgotten or not experienced). 

 

Anyway, I just had to type something down. I still want to love this game, I've invested way too much money and time to not still want to play and love it. Great players are still playing..

 

-Fes, old fart.

Bring back Islands of Ice Gen 1.  Or Even Gen 2.  Both are better than the copy paste version of mountain range that we have now.

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RNR-]
Beta Tester
1,436 posts
16,374 battles
37 minutes ago, HMCS_Halifax said:

Bring back Islands of Ice Gen 1.  Or Even Gen 2.  Both are better than the copy paste version of mountain range that we have now.

and first hot spot map it was way better then now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RBNT]
Players
60 posts
5,901 battles
1 hour ago, Fesvil said:

Have read a few articles on Reddit, here, there and nowhere.. I get a feeling that most old farts like myself sort of miss the old Wargaming, the old World of Warships.

 

I remember sales and discounts that gave full doubloon refund. Made it a way for players to actually get some discount on doubloons when there were no doubloon sales. Now it's NO incentive to spend money in this game anymore, unless there's a ship you REALLY desire, but even then the admiral bundles are over bloated piles of smelly poo.

I remember there being 1 month with free exp conversion offer (35:1) and then the next month it was buy X amount of doubloons and get X% extra "free". Usually you could bet one offer would precede the other (so you would usually get a doubloon offer the patch before the free exp conversion offer). There hasn't been a doubloon sale for over 1 year. So, what do you spend the 30% coupon you get from WG on your anniversary, doubloons of course....

I remember silly events like the first year 1.april captains bath tub battles, hilarious, no more of that. 

I member the introduction of Pi-day, 14th of march, 1.5 years since last time we had that one, great camo, good looking with great bonuses.

I remember a sensible release of premium boats and not this volcanic eruption of crap and OP and everything in between as long as the numbers are huge!

I remember campaigns for the average player, not keen on getting mental issues from ranked or the frustration from clan members in clan battles, that rewarded steel, even if that was mostly a  one off.

I remember a sensible release of new tech tree lines without a crazy grind fest that incentive players to spend moolah on getting ships earlier.

I remember users being less toxic and actually contributing with good and constructive feedback. This point is as much the users being ragified by certain toxic streamers, but also WG fails to listen to some feedback. Which is what is now just a mess to find out and I'm not going to crawl down that path.

 

I know we can't go back, but I also wish WG would at least be a bit more forthcoming in providing feedback and reasoning. If users really want the drop chance for items in boxes, then it wouldn't kill neither the sales nor WG's self-respect to do it. I suppose I just still live a little in the past, wishing for the "good times", don't get me wrong, frustration was plentiful back then as well (CV's were much worse and way more OP back then, which ironically doesn't seem so, but seemingly players either have forgotten or not experienced). 

 

Anyway, I just had to type something down. I still want to love this game, I've invested way too much money and time to not still want to play and love it. Great players are still playing..

 

-Fes, old fart.

Hi :) I am one of the "new ones", so I have no clue that game was like you discribed. But... All that you just written seems like great game :) I wish that miracle happened and happened this about you write :) And - with old capt. skill :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,077 posts
18,199 battles

Oh the time when angling in a cruiser helped to reduce/avoid damage taken from a BB salvo... i am missing the time of no overmatch.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
6,072 posts
14,131 battles

Achhh good old days with great MM and decent tech trees :cap_old::Smile_trollface:

 

10999922_10205660750090779_5026450900964

 

 

11146222_10205862239367885_3637668935223

 

11078199_10205862239327884_1788016441554

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
63 posts
18,204 battles
1 hour ago, JG4_sKylon said:

Oh the time when angling in a cruiser helped to reduce/avoid damage taken from a BB salvo... i am missing the time of no overmatch.

Remember when AA worked? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

  • Cool 8
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,077 posts
18,199 battles
3 minutes ago, HMCS_Halifax said:

Remember when AA worked? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Yep, the time when you were rewarded speccing for AA.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SOTE]
Beta Tester
180 posts
2,417 battles
4 minutes ago, HMCS_Halifax said:

Remember when AA worked? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

aaaah, good old days in my old cleveland

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,690 posts
Just now, DinkyDi said:

aaaah, good old days in my old cleveland

 

 

aaaaah, good old days in my old cleveland doing Cherry Blossom.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,077 posts
18,199 battles

When Yubari and Atlanta shot down planes as it was advertised in the premium shop.

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,109 posts
10,318 battles
2 hours ago, Fesvil said:

I remember a sensible release of new tech tree lines without a crazy grind fest that incentive players to spend moolah on getting ships earlier.

Then you're the only one that remembers that....Oh how nice it was to have 10/12 ships on each team be from the new line....(not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
677 posts
26,856 battles

The old CVs were just very strong in hands of capable players, who needed a lot of time to master this kind of gameplay. It was very rewarding. The CV lost also his planes, and they didn't spawned again. AA specced ships were working, dodging was possible because of one drop only, and not 2-3 drops left and right. A player had to learn a lot to become a good CV player. Especially crossdrops to kill DDs - today we have skillless rocket planes. 

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,321 posts
23,343 battles

Don't forget, CVs were actually vulnerable when you caught them. When on fire, no planes could land or be launched and they burned as long as BBs. Nowadays all you can get is a trade if he halfway knows what he is doing because he can just attack you 4 times after he died. Best balance I saw in all games I played in my life.

  • Cool 6
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,998 posts
21,128 battles

Success can turn companies into a bag of diks. It can be really difficult for companies to not fall in their own arrogance trap and not get addicted to confirmation bias. WG failed on so many levels here except for making money. Congrats. You're earning money abusing gambling addiction and predetory marketing. Whoopdidoo.

  • Cool 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
33 posts
2,116 battles
8 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Success can turn companies into a bag of diks. It can be really difficult for companies to not fall in their own arrogance trap and not get addicted to confirmation bias. WG failed on so many levels here except for making money. Congrats. You're earning money abusing gambling addiction and predetory marketing. Whoopdidoo.

Do you even know how much money they are making from this game? It's not their only game. I can guess tanks is their cash cow, planes do not perform well and this game is something in between. This game may even be unprofitable but they are still spending money to support it. 

 

Are you blaming a company for trying to make money from a f2p game?

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[STEPA]
Players
59 posts
2,588 battles
5 hours ago, Fesvil said:

Have read a few articles on Reddit, here, there and nowhere.. I get a feeling that most old farts like myself sort of miss the old Wargaming, the old World of Warships.

 

I remember sales and discounts that gave full doubloon refund. Made it a way for players to actually get some discount on doubloons when there were no doubloon sales. Now it's NO incentive to spend money in this game anymore, unless there's a ship you REALLY desire, but even then the admiral bundles are over bloated piles of smelly poo.

I remember there being 1 month with free exp conversion offer (35:1) and then the next month it was buy X amount of doubloons and get X% extra "free". Usually you could bet one offer would precede the other (so you would usually get a doubloon offer the patch before the free exp conversion offer). There hasn't been a doubloon sale for over 1 year. So, what do you spend the 30% coupon you get from WG on your anniversary, doubloons of course....

I remember silly events like the first year 1.april captains bath tub battles, hilarious, no more of that. 

I member the introduction of Pi-day, 14th of march, 1.5 years since last time we had that one, great camo, good looking with great bonuses.

I remember a sensible release of premium boats and not this volcanic eruption of crap and OP and everything in between as long as the numbers are huge!

I remember campaigns for the average player, not keen on getting mental issues from ranked or the frustration from clan members in clan battles, that rewarded steel, even if that was mostly a  one off.

I remember a sensible release of new tech tree lines without a crazy grind fest that incentive players to spend moolah on getting ships earlier.

I remember users being less toxic and actually contributing with good and constructive feedback. This point is as much the users being ragified by certain toxic streamers, but also WG fails to listen to some feedback. Which is what is now just a mess to find out and I'm not going to crawl down that path.

 

I know we can't go back, but I also wish WG would at least be a bit more forthcoming in providing feedback and reasoning. If users really want the drop chance for items in boxes, then it wouldn't kill neither the sales nor WG's self-respect to do it. I suppose I just still live a little in the past, wishing for the "good times", don't get me wrong, frustration was plentiful back then as well (CV's were much worse and way more OP back then, which ironically doesn't seem so, but seemingly players either have forgotten or not experienced). 

 

Anyway, I just had to type something down. I still want to love this game, I've invested way too much money and time to not still want to play and love it. Great players are still playing..

 

-Fes, old fart.

This should be printed in WG headquarter, and read by the developers/management team every morning, to remind them why they have a job, who made them what they are now and why.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,735 posts
11,834 battles

Ohhhh maaaan the memories...

I miss the old Cleveland... It was actually FUN! Those awesome moments in it...

I miss the old Atlanta... When the CV's planes went down faster than the Titanic.

I miss the old Fubuki... Maaan that was a fun little ship :(

I miss the old spotting mechanics when you actually had invisifire. Remember in my US DD I was shooting a Colorado with my rainbow and he was crying so hard that DDs are OP and invisifire OP and WeeGeee plshelp meanwhile I was not doing any damage as the hits did not pen. :D

When I was totally tired and just got out my Nikolai to shoot stuff :D

2016 I miss you!!!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_OPC_]
Players
454 posts
17,153 battles
2 hours ago, rustyfeeder said:

Are you blaming a company for trying to make money from a f2p game?

Of course not, only a blind fool thinks this whole business is run ... for free,

 

But not at a cost of balance, shady / predatory sales, endless grind, shitty PR, lies (where is the guy sub_octavian that lied to us so many times, maybe they WG did it in a russian mafia style) etc. the list is so long...

 

actually WG should pay (in real money not some worthless currency) us to test their product ... in RL you are paid for this.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,998 posts
21,128 battles
17 hours ago, rustyfeeder said:

Do you even know how much money they are making from this game? It's not their only game. I can guess tanks is their cash cow, planes do not perform well and this game is something in between. This game may even be unprofitable but they are still spending money to support it. 

 

Are you blaming a company for trying to make money from a f2p game?

Sure, they are making a loss on WOWS :Smile_veryhappy:

On WOWP im guessing they might, but thats because this company is incapable of creating compelling aviation gameplay, carrier rework being another brilliant example.

 

Im saying the way they go about making money is trash. Actively promoting lootboxes in a 7+ rated games is trash. Their military grade consumer manipulation is trash. Pushing grinds into health challenging territory is trash. Creating a 'f2p' with dirty predetory sattelites is not accidental. These specific and maliceous money making decisions are by design.

 

The argument 'businesses need to make money' is a bit stale. It doesnt excuse them from how they go about making money. There is responsible ways to go about it, and trashy ways.

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-MM]
Weekend Tester
342 posts
9,791 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

Sure, they are making a loss on WOWS :Smile_veryhappy:

On WOWP im guessing they might, but thats because this company is incapable of creating compelling aviation gameplay, carrier rework being another brilliant example.

 

Im saying the way they go about making money is trash. Actively promoting lootboxes in a 7+ rated games is trash. Their military grade consumer manipulation is trash. Pushing grinds into health challenging territory is trash. Creating a 'f2p' with dirty predetory sattelites is not accidental. These specific and maliceous money making decisions are by design.

 

The argument 'businesses need to make money' is a bit stale. It doest excuse them from how they go about making money. There is responsible ways to go about it, and trashy ways.

Can't remember where I read it, but RPU (revenue per user) is higher on WoWs than it is in WoT. The playerbase is smaller, granted, but where WoT is 4th or 5th largest MMO (or was in 2019), WoWs was still in the top 25 if I remember correctly. Both games are a slow paced shooter, even now, which is a rarity in the games market. In fact, you could argue that as War Thunder is such a mess, WeeGee have cornered the market with slow paced shooters that appeal to older guys (and girls) who can't deal with being pixel-sniped by a 14yr old with the twitch reactions of a rattlesnake. WoWp has never made money, and they outsourced the development, so why on earth its still alive is anyone's guess. 

 

WoT has been on a fairly steady trajectory to casual appeal for 3-4 years, along with all of the associated predatory tactics that involves. WoWs, for reasons only known to SerB, has compressed the same amount of change into 12 months. Game was happily plodding along with a stable playerbase for 3 years and then CV rework happens. I know why they did it, and it makes sense, but since then it's been a total car crash of new content, more content, new and convoluted side-quests (research bureau), more content, money grabs, loot box disasters, grind grind grind for special ships (which you still have to pay for), now a skill rework which makes no sense at all. 

 

Being generous, WG have a plan for WoWs, and it may involve selling the game to another house - in which case you want to maximise playerbase, and RPU. Hence the push for new content, new players, and new ways to extract money from players. Or being unkind, WG have lost their direction with it - either through poor management, internal politics, or just outright incompetence - and are simply throwing the kitchen sink at it to try and arrest the decline (or milk it as much as they can before it loses critical mass and dies like WoWp did).

 

The probable real outcome of this trajectory is it ends up like War Thunder - a confusing mess of a game, which appeals only to a tiny hardcore playerbase who tolerate both the sharp practice, endless powercreep/inbalances, and riddled with literal P2W content. Casual players need not apply. 

 

 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,951 posts
21,708 battles

To be honest I would pay good money for a classic version that goes back to the end of 2018. Or even 2017.

  • Cool 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×