Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LoveZeppelin

Mysore has no "Indian" captain option

45 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[JOLLY]
Players
520 posts
12,015 battles

I'd just like to point out the obvious, or perhaps not so obvious.

image.thumb.png.52709f0cd15fdd8fb5ef54869c55eac4.png

INS Mysore, which sailed under an Indian Navy flag (and captains!) from 1957 onwards, has no Indian captain available for her. 

Just a reminder, India is a member of the Commonwealth, it would have been a nice gesture to include Indian navy avatars (above all names, but perhaps a couple of portraits/uniforms too) with the Commonwealth captain carrousel. As players can change both portraits and names to suit their own taste, nobody could possibly have a reasonable reason to reject such an option.

image.png.0434779d6ba3f34097bb243c5b502783.png

Historical figures are difficult (such as Sourendra Nath Kohli who commanded Mysore in the 1950s), but fictional names should not be too hard to devise, or maybe I am naive in thinking this?

is this an oversight @MrConway?

  • Cool 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,115 posts
22,855 battles

Check your topic title. You are referencing Perth, not Mysore.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
26,944 battles

Archibald is an indian name.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,765 battles

Archibald Powers's parents migrated to India in 1910s. He was born there and despite being white and obviously the name he is fully hindu

  • Funny 5
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JOLLY]
Players
520 posts
12,015 battles
12 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Check your topic title. You are referencing Perth, not Mysore.

ouch, thanks for catching that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
6 hours ago, LoveZeppelin said:

no Indian captain available for her. 

It's not like WG *won't* do this sort of thing: I have at least one splendid Sikh chap commanding my British AFVs in WOT...

 

I get the impression that quality-control isn't at the top of WG's mind at the moment though (distracted by captains, I imagine): last time I checked, the new T8 PA premium DD (Fen Yang) couldn't be fitted with the DefAA coal mod, if one were so inclined. While I'm thinking about it: is this deliberate @MrConway? (Thanks!)

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,642 posts
19,083 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

I get the impression that quality-control isn't at the top of WG's mind at the moment though (distracted by captains, I imagine):

Captains, subs, and the pillows of £££ they are falling asleep on every night. 

 

Both Mysore and Fen Yang could have done with another round of work before release.

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,072 posts
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

I get the impression that quality-control isn't at the top of WG's mind at the moment though (distracted by captains, I imagine)

The first part I wholeheartedly endorse, but I question the second:

 

Emergency Repair Expert

Action time of the Damage Control Party consumable +10%

Number of Damage Control Party consumable charges +1

Repair Party consumable action time +10%

Number of Repair Party consumable charges +1

 

Spot the problem; WG apparently didn't. Either that, or they've rather revolutionised a certain branch of mathematics... :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
2 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Spot the problem

I'm probably being thick (or - more charitably - just not a BB fiend): this is the 4 point BB skill isn't it? Apart from being breathtakingly poor value, what's wrong with it that I'm not seeing?

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,642 posts
19,083 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I'm probably being thick (or - more charitably - just not a BB fiend): this is the 4 point BB skill isn't it? Apart from being breathtakingly poor value, what's wrong with it that I'm not seeing?

The only ships with Damage Control Party are CVs. And they don't have limited charges. Unless the biggest CV nerf ever is coming.:Smile_playing:

 

(or WG Forgot. Your guess is as good as mine).

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
13 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

The only ships with Damage Control Party are CVs.

Isn't DCP the name for the standard 'fix fires, floods, and broke stuff' consumable (with unlimited charges, unless you're a Famous & Historical Russian BB)?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,642 posts
19,083 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Isn't DCP the name for the standard 'fix fires, floods, and broke stuff' consumable

They all say Repair Party now. Except for the CVs. mwahahaha

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
2 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

They all say Repair Party now. Except for the CVs. mwahahaha

I have the game open, and just looked at Mysore (resplendent in the 'gastric distress' cammo - Frosty Fir, or whatever it's called):

 

image.png.a48ff84399774f3677078b41f14a94c7.png

 

That thing on the left is labelled DCP and the one on the right is Repair Party (at least in the 'equipment' tab). I'm confused...?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,642 posts
19,083 battles

You're right, of course. And I'm very very wrong. D'oh. Sorry. 

 

However my baffled brian isn't completely broken -  there are ships with limited charges of DCP - Russian/Soviet ones -  so presumably this consumable is a Soviet-specific buff. Unless I'm still completely wrong....

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
35 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Sorry.

No apology needed, of course - it's usually me that's all kinds of incorrect, hence my confusion!

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
4,936 posts
20,778 battles
4 hours ago, LoveZeppelin said:

I'd just like to point out the obvious, or perhaps not so obvious.

image.thumb.png.52709f0cd15fdd8fb5ef54869c55eac4.png

INS Mysore, which sailed under an Indian Navy flag (and captains!) from 1957 onwards, has no Indian captain available for her. 

Just a reminder, India is a member of the Commonwealth, it would have been a nice gesture to include Indian navy avatars (above all names, but perhaps a couple of portraits/uniforms too) with the Commonwealth captain carrousel. As players can change both portraits and names to suit their own taste, nobody could possibly have a reasonable reason to reject such an option.

image.png.0434779d6ba3f34097bb243c5b502783.png

Historical figures are difficult (such as Sourendra Nath Kohli who commanded Mysore in the 1950s), but fictional names should not be too hard to devise, or maybe I am naive in thinking this?

is this an oversight @MrConway?

I agree, as I prefer ships of a nation to actually have a captain of that nation, preferably with national voice overs.

It annoys me to no end, when I sail pan Asian ships to hear English voices.

 

They should have outsourced that part to India, and this wouldn't have happened.

In fact  they should outsource balans and bug fixing and we wouldn't have such a messy game.

 

I guess, that WG either completely forgot that one, or didn't had the chance due to the pandemic restrictions and we may or may not see an Indian commander in the future.

 

Suggested stop-gap measure: 

WG should order a pizza/ chicken curry and give the delivery guy a few bucks extra for allowing them to take a picture (of him, not the pizza!*).

 

 

With all possible stereotypes used in this post, my day is complete now and I can go to bed.

 

 

 

*I had to clarify that since it is WG after all  we're talking about.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,583 posts
4 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

It annoys me to no end, when I sail pan Asian ships to hear English voices.

 

 

My Pan-Asian commanders are all fluent in Japanese. :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
533 posts
13,181 battles
15 hours ago, LoveZeppelin said:

I'd just like to point out the obvious, or perhaps not so obvious.

INS Mysore, which sailed under an Indian Navy flag (and captains!) from 1957 onwards, has no Indian captain available for her. 

Just a reminder, India is a member of the Commonwealth, it would have been a nice gesture to include Indian navy avatars (above all names, but perhaps a couple of portraits/uniforms too) with the Commonwealth captain carrousel. As players can change both portraits and names to suit their own taste, nobody could possibly have a reasonable reason to reject such an option.

Historical figures are difficult (such as Sourendra Nath Kohli who commanded Mysore in the 1950s), but fictional names should not be too hard to devise, or maybe I am naive in thinking this?

is this an oversight @MrConway?

Good point well made. Would be nice to have an answer on that. My bet is on, "they just didn't bother even thinking about it".

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,477 posts
17,237 battles
16 hours ago, LoveZeppelin said:

Historical figures are difficult (such as Sourendra Nath Kohli who commanded Mysore in the 1950s), but fictional names should not be too hard to devise, or maybe I am naive in thinking this? 

is this an oversight

Apart from some very fine cricket players, name recognition of Indian people is very poor in the West.

 

The only name that most people would recognize is Gandhi.

 

Even then, many people in the West would confuse him with a character in "Lord of the Rings", and most of the rest would regard him as a "one hit wonder" who only made the one film - and you never heard from him again!

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
26,944 battles
17 hours ago, 22cm said:

Archibald is an indian name.

Who downvoted this? 

 

It is true, it means “the Bald Archer“! 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BIF]
Players
449 posts
5,929 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Apart from some very fine cricket players, name recognition of Indian people is very poor in the West.

 

The only name that most people would recognize is Gandhi.

 

Even then, many people in the West would confuse him with a character in "Lord of the Rings", and most of the rest would regard him as a "one hit wonder" who only made the one film - and you never heard from him again!

We could have legenderry commander Captain Nemo !

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,468 posts
3,994 battles
1 hour ago, K82J said:

We could have legenderry commander Captain Nemo !

A capital idea! Pity that I can't give more than one 'like'; your post would have got them all!!!

:Smile_veryhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×