Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MementoMori_6030

Expert AA Marksman

34 comments in this topic

[NECRO]
Players
3,124 posts

The only effect that is displayed in the preview is +1 explosions. This is a 3 point skill (and yes, I know AA is pretty useless, but I am curious why WG thinks it is worth 3 points). I do not see the +25% priority sector damage. Shouldn't the sector reinforcement or the aura dpm go up? Some AA expert around who can explain how this is supposed to work?

shot-21.01.25_09.48.18-0575.png

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles

Sorry other way around. Hover over the 35% sector reinforcement. 

It doesn't show any value at least in the ui to be changing. I will do some testing in the Training room and report back

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
3,124 posts
Vor 15 Minuten, Zuihou_Kai sagte:

Sorry other way around. Hover over the 35% sector reinforcement. 

It doesn't show any value at least in the ui to be changing. I will do some testing in the Training room and report back

Thanks!

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
1 minute ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Thanks!

After testing this skill in Repu against Midway in training room it shows that the AA during sector running does more damage per tick after it reaches  100% effectiveness than without. 

The initial hit after sector activation is not affected and stays at a consistent 710.It seems the huge dmg hit overall was removed. 

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
3,124 posts
Gerade eben, Zuihou_Kai sagte:

After testing this skill in Repu against Midway in training room it shows that the AA during sector running does more damage per tick after it reaches  100% effectiveness than without. 

The initial hit after sector activation is not affected and stays at a consistent 710.It seems the huge dmg hit overall was removed. 

So it's not worth wasting 3 points, I guess. Again, thanks for helping.

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
Just now, MementoMori_6030 said:

So it's not worth wasting 3 points, I guess. Again, thanks for helping.

Probably not worth it. 

[NECRO]
Players
3,124 posts
Gerade eben, Zuihou_Kai sagte:

Probably not worth it. 

I wondered why it is a suggested skill for my Lyon, else I would not have bothered in the first place. :Smile_teethhappy:

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
Just now, MementoMori_6030 said:

I wondered why it is a suggested skill for my Lyon, else I would not have bothered in the first place. :Smile_teethhappy:

I believe the suggested skills are chosen depending on what your captain was previously skilled for. If you had bft or aft on it before for some memes then it might choose depending on that who knows. 

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
7 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

does more damage per tick after it reaches  100% effectiveness than without. 

So it doesnt do more damage before it reaches 100%? :Smile_amazed:

[NECRO]
Players
3,124 posts

Might instead go with +10% torpedo protection to counter the torpedo bombers which I cannot shoot down with or without Expert AA stuff, but I guess the unnecessary CV torp buffs exceed my protection bonus. So every choice seems bad as long as there are planes in the game, which is not a novelty.

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

So it doesnt do more damage before it reaches 100%? :Smile_amazed:

yeah its hard to tell but yes it appears it does additional damage only after a few ticks (seconds) went past. Because bits didn't dodge flak sudden 7k numbers popping up in between ticks doesn't help to determine it perfectly. 

The huge dmg hit that came when activating sector that was happening before cpt rework is definetly gone however which is very sad

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
2 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

yeah its hard to tell but yes it appears it does additional damage only after a few ticks (seconds) went past. Because bits didn't dodge flak sudden 7k numbers popping up in between ticks doesn't help to determine it perfectly. 

The huge dmg hit that came when activating sector that was happening before cpt rework is definetly gone however which is very sad

Maybe you can try with a ship that has no flak, that might show a better picture.

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

Maybe you can try with a ship that has no flak, that might show a better picture.

I'm not interested in checking which has no flak xD  it would be easier to ask a cv player to roam in Long range aa and dodge flak however 

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
26 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

I'm not interested in checking which has no flak xD  it would be easier to ask a cv player to roam in Long range aa and dodge flak however 

Ok i checked with Yahagi (has no Flak) damage is exactly the same. So it can only mean that it ticks more often. Without the skill, first plane died in 6~ sec, with the skill it took 5~ sec.

Also with the same plane damage, i managed to shoot down 2 more planes using that skill. So it probably means, the extra tick can kill the plane before it leaves my AA (atleast in this specific scenario Yahagi vs Langley).

Beta Tester
2,195 posts
12,822 battles
54 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

I was wondering about this since AA been pretty dead for a while and then I saw Potato Qualitys video where he said the AA build might be viable for som US ships with good AA like Montana, Ohio, Vermont etc. I wonder if it might be viable to take AA build on Des Moines again or if AA is still broken.

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Ok i checked with Yahagi (has no Flak) damage is exactly the same. So it can only mean that it ticks more often. Without the skill, first plane died in 6~ sec, with the skill it took 5~ sec.

Also with the same plane damage, i managed to shoot down 2 more planes using that skill. So it probably means, the extra tick can kill the plane before it leaves my AA (atleast in this specific scenario Yahagi vs Langley).

Does it only have one aura too? I might have mixed dmg numbers because of planes entering long to mid to short range too after a while. 

The tick speed might be a valid theory

[BOATY]
Players
1,051 posts
15,540 battles
2 hours ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

The only effect that is displayed in the preview is +1 explosions. This is a 3 point skill (and yes, I know AA is pretty useless, but I am curious why WG thinks it is worth 3 points). I do not see the +25% priority sector damage. Shouldn't the sector reinforcement or the aura dpm go up? Some AA expert around who can explain how this is supposed to work?

shot-21.01.25_09.48.18-0575.png

it should have added to sector enhancement. As to why it cost 3 points, considering the only way you can add more flak to a ship is by taking a slot 6 mod that kind of gives it value. Mind you that mod gives you 2 and a few other aa buffs but still.

[RWDS]
Players
22 posts
6,399 battles

The other day I have been testing full AA Monty, and it worked perfectly, propably as WG intended. 8/10 games I was in no CV game, therefore I had 7 dead points however did not have to bother with any CV.

Besides that I did  not find it that usefull perhaps moved from 15 shot planes to 21-5ish, that info is however biased, since it depends on how much enemy CV player is stubborn. On the other hand, Monty is miles away from its former AA glory days.

Therefore I would not suggest it besides the MM mechanics that stack you in no CV games.

~OLL

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
2 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

Does it only have one aura too? I might have mixed dmg numbers because of planes entering long to mid to short range too after a while. 

The tick speed might be a valid theory

Yahagi has 2 auras: 2,5km and 3,5km. I usually had a few ticks very low numbers (midrange) and then it bumped up to bigger numbers when the planes entered the shortrange aura.

[NECRO]
Players
3,124 posts
Vor 7 Minuten, Olala sagte:

Therefore I would not suggest it besides the MM mechanics that stack you in no CV games.

I attributed it to Murphy's law that almost every time I put Def AA instead of Hydro on a cruiser, I ended up in a game without a CV... :Smile_sceptic:

Players
619 posts
4,983 battles
17 minutes ago, Olala said:

8/10 games I was in no CV game, therefore I had 7 dead points however did not have to bother with any CV.

That alone makes it worthwhile.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,200 posts
9,990 battles

Doing some Testing on this myself.

Yahagi has 2 Auras. But its the best Reference I got right now.

Using it against Furious

Without Skills and without Sector

1260 Damage is done before the Drop

Without Skills but using Sector after the Enemy is in Range.

2160 Damage is done before the Drop (440 of that Damage is from Instant Damage Effect)

Without Skills but using Sector before the Enemy is in Range.

1840 Damage is done before the Drop

With Skills but without Sector

1270 Damage is done before the Drop (this is also a bit of a Control because I had to Reopen the Training Room to Change Skills. As Expected tough its basicly 1 Tick Difference which is Tolerance of RNG)

With Skills and using Sector after Enemy is in Range.

2500 Damage is done before the Drop (490 of that Damage is from Instant Damage Effect)

With Skills but using Sector before Enemy is in Range

2100 Damage is done before the Drop

Notes.

@Zuihou_Kai

No. The Instant Damage Effect is still in the Game.

I did however Miss it several Times as well. Because either the Number didnt Show or because I clicked too Early.

But from the Total Numbers its Obvious that the Instant Damage effect is present. And I have seen it several Times.

The Instant Damage Effect on the Testrun with Skills. Is 490 compared to 440 without Skills. However. I dont think this is due to the Skill.

I noticed earlier that there is a certain Randomness in the Instant Damage Done.

As during one of the Runs without Skills which I did for Control Group. I had several Instant Damages which were 470-480 as well.

So this is likely just a Roll of the Dice Effect.

As was Guessed by you guys already.

The Sector does not Increase the Damage but the Firing Rate.

Meaning the Ticks dont get Bigger. They only get Faster.

Verdict Explanation.

It is Obvious that the Skill does actually Work as Intended. As clearly the Damage you get from using Sector is Increased compared to before.

Now as I said. I assume the Instant Damage to be the Same regardless of the Skill. So I will use the Values without Instant Damage for Comparisson.

Not using Sector we got 1260 Damage with Sector but without Skills it was 1840 Damage and with Improved Sector from Skills it became 2100 Damage.

That means the Sector itself Increased the Damage by about 46% without the Skill. And by 66% when using the Skill.

This actually Allows me to make a Fairly Certain Conclusion here.

As can be Seen. The Skill basicly gives you another 20% Bonus Damage.

This means 2 Things.

The 25% from the Skill Produces far Lower Results than the 50% Sector. Which means. The 25% are thus clearly not Applied to the General Damage while the Sector is Active.

But instead the 25% are basicly a Buff to the Sector Reinforcement.

And as the Sector Reinforcement Effectiveness goes only from 32% to 40% you can also Clearly See that the Increase is a Percentage. Not Percentage Points.

The Skill actually produces Similar Results as the base Sector. So the 25% are in Fact Applied to the General Damage while the Sector is Active.

Which means the Increase of the Skill is effectively 25% Percentage Points. Not 25% of the Sector.

Final Verdict

So the Skills Effect is effectively that it Increases the 50% Sector Reinforcement by 25 Percent. Thus making it 62.5% instead of 50%

Which in Absolute Effect means that the Sector Damage actually getting through is Increased from 32% to 40%

So the Final Verdict also is Changed. To "The Skill actually increases the Sector Reinforcement from a Flat 50% to a Flat 75%

Which Results in an Effective Increase from 46% to 66%

The Increas of the Skill Effect is Still Slightly less Effective in Carryover than the Base Sector.

Without the Skill you only lose 4% of the 50% Value. While the Skill actually loses 5% alone out of its 25%

Thus coming for a Loss of Effectiveness of 9% in Total. Which results in 75% being an Effective Damage Increase of 66%

The Reason for that is likely that the 25% are only added after Full Buildup of the Sector. Thus not Counting the Full Time.

The Base Line however doesnt Change Gladly. The Skill is still pretty effective in General.

Closing Words.

Be Aware that this is for Yahagi where we only got Continues AA and only 3.5km Range.

For other Cruisers especially thus that have a Higher AA Range. These Numbers might be Significantly Different. Due to the Longer Exposure to AA and the Bigger Differences between the Ranged Continues AA Auras.

Edit:

Someone Pointed out a Math Error that made me Screw up the Final Verdict. Because I used the Sector as 100% mark.

• Cool 3

[PANEU]
Players
4,319 posts
12,420 battles
1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

No. The Instant Damage Effect is still in the Game.

I did however Miss it several Times as well. Because either the Number didnt Show or because I clicked too Early.

But from the Total Numbers its Obvious that the Instant Damage effect is present. And I have seen it several Times.

I see, because I even safely waited until the planes after entering 6km AA got as close to 5km before enabling sector because I'm aware of the to early thing and it still didn't show. 

I also did use it with AA initially disabled to only check for the instant damage and only thing it showed me was consistent tick hit. 

Maybe WG managed to mess things up again

[BBMM]
Players
6,964 posts
10,073 battles
4 hours ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

I believe the suggested skills are chosen depending on what your captain was previously skilled for. If you had bft or aft on it before for some memes then it might choose depending on that who knows. 

It does. I had a captain that I replanted from a BB to a DD.

The "recommendend choices" were kinda... weird. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,811 battles
4 hours ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Might instead go with +10% torpedo protection to counter the torpedo bombers which I cannot shoot down with or without Expert AA stuff, but I guess the unnecessary CV torp buffs exceed my protection bonus. So every choice seems bad as long as there are planes in the game, which is not a novelty.

"counter" is a really strong word here, its like blocking the enemy hits with your face in box :cap_hmm:

Sign in to follow this