Sign in to follow this  
Veilingmeat

Regarding the HALLAND

8 comments in this topic

Players
78 posts

I unlocked the Halland today and have tried a few games in her.

She seems solid enough.

I've swopped out Torp Tubes Mod 2 (slot 6) for Gun Fire Control 2 ...and vice versa to weight them:

12.1 km gun range

90 sec Trop reload

versus

10.4 km gun range

76.5 sec Trop reload

If you *have* the HALLAND...

What do we generally feel performs better?

Initially my thougths are the shells feel floaty at range...

image.png.504d796881d8fa2bac4db8afa23259cb.png

Cheers...

Players
1,020 posts
24,083 battles

I go for the torp reload in randoms (and for full Torp spec). More perma flods possible. Also having less gunrange is sometimes an advandage in DD fights because less ships see you. In CW same with range, but here i go for a survival build with SI for more heals, def AA and speedboosts...

[CATS]
Players
30,887 posts
15,682 battles

I go for gun reload. Should you get spotted by a DD, you want to remove him as quickly possible.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
187 posts
12,738 battles

I go for torps. The reload buffs are percentage-based, so  10% off 90 seconds is 9 seconds, but 10% off 2 seconds (or whatever the base reload is) is only 0.2 second. In effect, it seems to me that 0.2 second has less impact on my gameplay, especially that I try to avoid one-on-one gunfights anyway (you almost always lose too much health for it to be worth it, unless you're bullying a torpedo boat). 

[VIBES]
Players
845 posts
20,155 battles
2 hours ago, callumwaw said:

The reload buffs are percentage-based, so  10% off 90 seconds is 9 seconds, but 10% off 2 seconds (or whatever the base reload is) is only 0.2 second.

Yeah but when you're in a knife-fight with an enemy DD it's you our him, and 0.2 second per shot can often make a difference in term of who lives and who dies.

With torps, you can usually wait another 14 seconds, in fact you can probably use them to get to an even better position. It's better for spamming, but it doesn't really add any new capability.

Much as we like to spam torps, the fact is that for long periods of time during a game one simple doesn't have a target: the enemies are sailing away, or they're camping behind an island, or they're still transiting behind the island and the torps (especially Halland torps) are too *fast* to catch them on the other side, so you simply have to wait as you reposition.

If anything, I think the better choice is between gun reload and gun range: if you want to, you can play Halland and Smaland as gunboats (using terrain a lot, of course) and really keep shooting most of the game, while even with a full torpedo build there will be long periods of time when you're reloading anyway (76 seconds is quick for torps, but slow compared even to BB guns...) or you don't have a target.

Plus the torpedo module makes it much easier for the launchers to be knocked out, especially by high caliber HE (the ever-so-common Thunderers and Conquerors), which means fewer torpedo hits over a number of games: if it's temporary, and they were reloading, it'll reset the reload progress; if it's permanent, you've just lost half of your firepower against those same targets, as you're simply not going to gunboat a Thunderer.

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
187 posts
12,738 battles

@tocqueville8  I agree, everything's situational, and torpedoes are much more situational than guns, because you don't control if the target will change course/speed. You have much more control in a knifefight. But I'm not a particularly good shot and I try to avoid duelling other DDs, because in my recent experience, nobody on my team focus-fires DDs, whereas enemy teams tend to do it :-)))))  In other words, whenever I get in a one-on-one with another DD, I get killed not by him, but by his cruisers. In the meantime, the obligatory Smolensk on my team is busy farming a BB with his one hand while sniffing glue with his other   ;-)     That's why I personally don't feel I need to have faster reload on an already quickly reloading ship. 

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
845 posts
20,155 battles
3 hours ago, callumwaw said:

But I'm not a particularly good shot and I try to avoid duelling other DDs, because in my recent experience, nobody on my team focus-fires DDs

Well, yes, you don't ever want to go 1vs1 except against a DD you know to be on low hp.

Imho it helps a great deal to have:

1) RPF, so you're less likely to have a knifefight forced opon you. It's easier to get cooperation from your team if you can confidently say: "I'm coming over and spot that DD, cover me" instead of just hoping they'll focus that DD when you accidentally bump into him;

2) the mod that tells you the hp each enemy was last seen at, which allows you to make better decisions (as long as it's not a Neustrashimy or an EU DD some while ago, enough to have healed twice).

RPF will also help with avoiding torps, one of which is usually enough to make you too weak for any sort of gunfight.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
187 posts
12,738 battles

@tocqueville8  thanks for these hints. I will try to re-spec more of my captains to include RPF.  I've always been too stingy to buy it :-),  I would normally spend the points on other skills. With the current meta, where CA/CLs seem to be crippled, I'll probably be playing mostly DDs.  I've always liked them more than anything else. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this