Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Murqy

Priority Target

39 comments in this topic

[H-M-S]
Players
69 posts
12,576 battles

Should it really be a captain skill? There is no realism behind it and all and all it's just a convenient game mechanic that allow you to focus less on the surroundings and more on your own guns.

Now when it cost 2 points I feel myself leaving it out, because is it really worth grinding that captain all the way to 21 points? All that exp just for this function?

In my opinion Priority target should be a default setting, just like the torpedo predictor or the cooldown timer. It’s just more fun that way.

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
3,061 posts

This skill shouldn't be in the game. You simply cannot detect being targeted by an optical rangefinder if you are not the only possible target in the direction the turrets are turning. It is not like a laser, a radar beam, an infrared spotlight or anything else which would alert any sensors.

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles

I think they should get rid of it alltogether.

Its a skill, which gives you the illusion of not making mistakes, like if someone targets me, dont show broadside because he will shoot me, or now i gotta turn away because someone is targeting me. What it actually does is, prevent people from learning.

Same for IFA, only its more useless.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
30,887 posts
15,682 battles
19 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

This skill shouldn't be in the game. You simply cannot detect being targeted by an optical rangefinder if you are not the only possible target in the direction the turrets are turning. It is not like a laser, a radar beam, an infrared spotlight or anything else which would alert any sensors.

The skill allows you to make a more informed decision about what risks you can take. It allows better gameplay.

Bringing up the "realism" argument in a game like WoWs is "a bit" questionable.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[NECRO]
Players
3,061 posts
Gerade eben, ColonelPete sagte:

It allows better gameplay.

Where is this "better gameplay" hiding? I have been looking for it, but only found spawn campers reenacting the Battle of Verdun.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Players
797 posts
10,998 battles
21 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

You simply cannot detect being targeted by an optical rangefinder if you are not the only possible target in the direction the turrets are turning.

you can if you are looking at it and seeing where it is pointing...

"look ma! they're looking funny at us!"

• Funny 1

[NECRO]
Players
3,061 posts
Gerade eben, Starchy_Tuber sagte:

you can if you are looking at it and seeing where it is pointing...

"look ma! they're looking funny at us!"

They might be looking at the ship next to you. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
383 posts
12,134 battles
3 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Where is this "better gameplay" hiding? I have been looking for it, but only found spawn campers reenacting the Battle of Verdun.

well, try playing a DD and getting radared and based on the number of reds aiming at you you can decide wether you need to do a hard dodge or can keep going your way. 

just because YOU cannot think of way to improve your gameplay through the knowledge it gives you doesnt mean others dont. 
It's also a clear indicator when DDs are nearby when there are no reds spotted. 

and if were speaking of realism, I guess you're OK with ships magically healing ? Or your ship never running out of ammo ? or the fact CV planes regenerate ? 
i think you get where im going with this, realism isnt an argument for anything in this otherwise radar wouldnt pass through soild rock. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
30,887 posts
15,682 battles
6 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Only for people, who know how to use it.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[OLEUM]
Players
118 posts
12,418 battles

This may go against the grain but I don’t run it on any of my ships, I just assume everything targeting me and act accordingly 

• Cool 6

[NECRO]
Players
3,061 posts
Vor 1 Minute, bloodynicknames sagte:

just because YOU cannot think of way to improve your gameplay through the knowledge it gives you doesnt mean others dont.

Ah, you need a girlfriend. You are overcompensating.

Vor 1 Minute, bloodynicknames sagte:

and if were speaking of realism, I guess you're OK with ships magically healing ? Or your ship never running out of ammo ? or the fact CV planes regenerate ? 
i think you get where im going with this, realism isnt an argument for anything in this otherwise radar wouldnt pass through soild rock. 

You may take your time to search the forum for while, but I will spare you the intellectual torture: I have criticized all those features repeatedly.

But this topic is about Priority Target, and you are engaging in Whataboutism. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles

only issue with PT right now is that i can't fit it into my BBs builds anymore

• Funny 1

[TF]
Players
121 posts
2,064 battles

I always played without it, now with free re-spec I'm trying PT, and OK in some cases it gives valuable info : you are spotted but no one targets you ? keep doing what you want. 1 targets you and shoots ? angle against him but don't worry too much about the others (mistake alert here, that situation can change in a second). 6 target you ? better go dark for a while.

I might actually use it now on certain cruisers, maybe on gunboat DDs if I ever get one, but I won't use it on BBs, you spend too much time spotted and looking everywhere between shots anyway.

Do you have other exemples of what you use PT for ? what makes it valuable for you ?

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles
14 minutes ago, meuhbat said:

I always played without it, now with free re-spec I'm trying PT, and OK in some cases it gives valuable info : you are spotted but no one targets you ? keep doing what you want. 1 targets you and shoots ? angle against him but don't worry too much about the others (mistake alert here, that situation can change in a second). 6 target you ? better go dark for a while.

I might actually use it now on certain cruisers, maybe on gunboat DDs if I ever get one, but I won't use it on BBs, you spend too much time spotted and looking everywhere between shots anyway.

Do you have other exemples of what you use PT for ? what makes it valuable for you ?

on DDs is redundant, take PM instead (exception could open water gunboats, but you should not be gunboating in situation where multiple ships can get accurate salvos on you anyway)

on CA/CL is vital skill, it tells you what you can or can't do. Remember that not all ships that have you targetted are spotted. You can bait a salvo from the BB u are angled with, but if it says that 5 got you targeted and 4 you dont even see, turn will be suicide, so it will be better to let them all fire when you are angled, you then have 20-30s to run.You can't do that w/o PT.

on BBs it works kinda the same, just not so crucial (esp. now in current HE snipe meta). bonus on BBs is that PT can idicate when the DD whos hunting you released his torp and make a turn etc

the closer you play in BB the more valueble it gets as more ships can fire at you outside your vision (over islands etc). I also kinda got used to PT on BBs so its a shame it cost 2 pts now and BBs have to sacrifice something more important to get it

• Cool 1

Players
2,707 posts
11,390 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Excuse me? Its practically improves the survivability of cruisers if u pair it with situational & map awareness (granted this are skills one pick up, and not using points on a skill tree :Smile_veryhappy:

Edit: In fact PT is the more useless one if one already has situational and map awareness. With IFA at least u know exactly when u are getting shot at.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
40 minutes ago, pra3y said:

Excuse me? Its practically improves the survivability of cruisers if u pair it with situational & map awareness (granted this are skills one pick up, and not using points on a skill tree :Smile_veryhappy:

Edit: In fact PT is the more useless one if one already has situational and map awareness. With IFA at least u know exactly when u are getting shot at.

PT atleast can tell you if someone torps you. Getting shot at while being vulnerable can always be worked against with sufficient skill. Or if you cant, then you are already in the crap so...

I dont like PT+IFA because they remove skill from the game. You will become a better player by not relying on them.

And dodging based on IFA can mean its already too late.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Dunno, I quite like IFA on gunboat DDs, especially when opening up at long range.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
2 hours ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

ground penetrating radar... that bounces off a target then comes back through the ground to tell you where a target is.

scifi space ship sensors.

EMag assisted 15 inch heap cannon rounds that (with bayern as example) cover 10km in 5.5 seconds. faster than modern apfsds at about 1900ms. saying nothing of nuremberg.

possible when we get superconductors developed enough, but probably not practical.

at least counter battery radar is a thing already.

and thats before talking about sideways dispersion and overmatch

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,316 battles

If a DD is doing it's job & scouting/capping then that DD has to know it's going to be targeted. You don't need PT to know that. Use WASD, etc to survive. You know you are going to be targeted.

Same for Cruisers & BBs if you are going to do anything aggressive. You are going to get targeted. You don't need PT to know that.

There are better Cpt skills to spend those PT points on. I refer to other survival skills.

4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

It allows better gameplay.

It only allows for more retreating from caps & scouting - in other words, more camping.

4 hours ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

'Spawn camping reenacting the battle of Verdun' LOL. Well said.

3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Only for people, who know how to use it.

.... to retreat & run (which I have to admit, is a viable tactic). 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
30,887 posts
15,682 battles
34 minutes ago, Aethervoxx said:

It only allows for more retreating from caps & scouting - in other words, more camping.

Players, who cannot assess their risk in game, hide in the back or yolo.

Players, who know how to use Priority Target, can assess their risk and move into positions on the map, that clueless players would not dare to move to.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,647 posts
19,099 battles
4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Bringing up the "realism" argument in a game like WoWs is "a bit" questionable.

Well... if the game was realistic then ships would have standing orders to sail in a set formation and engage each enemy ship strictly in turn. The Battle of Jutland was fought by battleships behaving like aristocrats in a pistol duel. If the game was realistic then secondary batteries would have the same range as main batteries of the same calibre (read up about the Battle of the River Plate for how that works). This wouldn't be fun. So we accept compromises which allow for decent gameplay. And PT is one of those. If you can live without it.... well done. Others might like to know (especially after this skill rework) of an unengaged BB trying to snipe from across the map. Take your skill points, invest them in what you like. 

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
3,061 posts

We could start with the maps. The only viable map für naval battles is "Ocean". The rest is... well, I guess they are good enough for Russian protected cruisers and presumed Japanese torpedo boats.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,083 posts
10,289 battles
11 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

I think they should get rid of it alltogether.

Its a skill, which gives you the illusion of not making mistakes, like if someone targets me, dont show broadside because he will shoot me, or now i gotta turn away because someone is targeting me. What it actually does is, prevent people from learning.

Oh hell no. It's one of the best skills in the game imo besides concealment.

• Cool 1

[H-M-S]
Players
69 posts
12,576 battles
3 hours ago, SV_Kompresor said:

Oh hell no. It's one of the best skills in the game imo besides concealment.

But shouldnt it be something everybody get access to automatically

[SITH-]
Players
182 posts
4,727 battles

Priority Target is like having 10 people on desk with Telescope watching each ship .. I don't see this a being unrealistic in the context of this game lol , I can see the rings of Saturn through mine .. pretty sure I could see if a gun turret was pointing at my ship 😂

Through an island ... it's on of my guys making an assumption .. that is super accurate hehe 

Sign in to follow this