Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Migantium_Mashum

How would you skill up a 21 point Shimakaze Captain after the rework?

69 comments in this topic

Players
2,483 posts

I have my first 21 point Captain for my Shimakaze and have used the following skill build.

1014994551_Screenshot(240).thumb.png.d25168bd5f2a7c949afdf3ca1615453b.png

Would you equip differently and if so why?

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
662 posts
13,121 battles

That is the ultimate stealthy, stay-out-of-trouble, torpedo boat build. It's very difficult to make an argument against it as it's the classic Shimakaze play style.

If you go for a more hybrid build (maybe something reusable in the Hayate even) then there are many options, and it really comes down to personal play style.

I'm considering this for the Shimakaze, using a 21-point Yamamoto Isoroku. I'm going for the much faster turret traverse, plus Priority Target and Dazzle to stay alive when I'm spotted. Dazzle could also be replaced with Swift in Silence or Radio Location -- they would all serve the build well, but I can only afford one of them.

image.png.cf90e8615c815bee3a314acd47327226.png 

• Cool 1

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,322 battles

I've only got 15 pt Cpt on my Shimikaze - Yamamoto Isoroku. It sure looks as if PM, SF, FtT, SiS & CE are the base requirements for a 14 pts Cpt.

After these, I'd go for LS & ce (consumables expert). The last 3 pts are more optional? Perhaps SE or GtG & P (pyrotechnician)?

It's going to be a while till I get to 18 or 19 pts. Those last 2?  LOL. In my dreams somewhere sometime in the future, lol.

[OLEUM]
Players
118 posts
12,428 battles

i would bin your speed thing while not detected and take away 5 knot torp speed upgrade...this will give you 6 points into survivability and another smoke n speed boost

every one of my dds runs survivability 

• Cool 1

Players
3,203 posts
18,599 battles
46 minutes ago, batch1 said:

i would bin your speed thing while not detected and take away 5 knot torp speed upgrade...this will give you 6 points into survivability and another smoke n speed boost

every one of my dds runs survivability 

This - except rather than SI, take Adrenaline Rush for faster torp cooldown. 

Players
1,328 posts
20,957 battles

This is mine, all 21 points used, which for all practical purposes is just adding Last Stand and Liquidator to what I used before the rework. Although I told @GulvkluderGuld in a different thread that it was possible to have my old build with only 18 points, it's actually not the case since you have to choose one skill from the 2 points row in order to unlock the others:

mmpY8P1.png

TBH, I think Migantium's build is better suited for Kagero and Yugumo, in particular when using TRB and going for the flanking. I was tempted to give up the gunnery in favour of Swift in Silence, but then I noticed that SiS is a double-edged sword when not in unison with RL, which would have required discarding even more skills I'm comfortable with: it can get you in position and out of danger faster, true, but also in trouble by running into planes and other DDs too soon. For any of us who are seasoned players this might not be a problem, but novices would find their demise more often than not. OTOH, RL on its own is enough strong and even I consider it worth giving up a couple of lesser skills (my Kagero captain had it for T8 rankeds IIRC). Another effect I thought of was that the extra speed, although only by just a little, would throw overboard all the timings for early game ambushes I came up with, e.g. torping the reds' side of B when spawning in front of A in Greece.

Salute.

P.S.: The RL + SiS duo is like tobacco and booze for a smoker, consumption of the latter asks for the former but not the other way around.

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,938 posts
20,778 battles

AFT, TR, AR, DE and Dead Eye but WG forgot to add the latter to the DD skill tree.

• Funny 3

Players
7,309 posts
11,668 battles
13 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Ive done my Asashio/IJN torpedo DD build yesterday. After some discussion in our Discord, I went rather "classic" first:

image.thumb.png.f7d92290d8df45ab9b5cf3f59d3527c1.png

You can see the effects it has on the torps + reload gets better with taking some damage. So when I play an IJN DD like Asashio, I want full focus on the torps, hence these choices. You need to have decent understanding, where the enemy DDs are, because the build has no RPF. I personally am used to that, I never used RPF that much (rather on my DD-hunters like Mino, but not on DDs themself). And IJN DDs have superb concealment, which helps a lot. In the first game, I had no problems dealing with Kitakaze and even a Lightning.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts
48 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Ive done my Asashio/IJN torpedo DD build yesterday. After some discussion in our Discord, I went rather "classic" first:

image.thumb.png.f7d92290d8df45ab9b5cf3f59d3527c1.png

You can see the effects it has on the torps + reload gets better with taking some damage. So when I play an IJN DD like Asashio, I want full focus on the torps, hence these choices. You need to have decent understanding, where the enemy DDs are, because the build has no RPF. I personally am used to that, I never used RPF that much (rather on my DD-hunters like Mino, but not on DDs themself). And IJN DDs have superb concealment, which helps a lot. In the first game, I had no problems dealing with Kitakaze and even a Lightning.

+1

[TUICH]
Players
278 posts
5,400 battles

With the legendary upgrade 15 12km torps every 103 seconds. Without RL I am nude, and the one last point in better turrets rotation because I think no need more flooding in japanese torps.

shima.JPG

• Cool 2

[PANEU]
Players
4,320 posts
12,420 battles
18 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I have my first 21 point Captain for my Shimakaze and have used the following skill build.

remove radiolocation, it gives away your position (enemy can smartly triangulate by checking if he has the mark or not and determine if you are closer to him or one of his teammates) 

and take 

Survivability expert. 

The extra HP is very important 

[IDDQD]
Players
752 posts
15,492 battles
32 minutes ago, Bender76048k said:

With the legendary upgrade 15 12km torps every 103 seconds. Without RL I am nude, and the one last point in better turrets rotation because I think no need more flooding in japanese torps.

shima.JPG

this.

if ppl wanna trade RPF for SI and 3kts faster torps, so be it (then they get ambushed and can die with 4 smoke charges :)

turret traverse if kinda personal preff. I would prob take it on yamamoto, but flooding just feels more 'right" choice

8 minutes ago, Zuihou_Kai said:

remove radiolocation, it gives away your position (enemy can smartly triangulate by checking if he has the mark or not and determine if you are closer to him or one of his teammates) 

there is a difference between assuming location by triangulating and knowing the location.

Lets also assume the enemy even understands what the icon is and what triangulation is, let alone the fact that what are the chances that enemy DD will sail around his friendly cruisers so the RPF will keep switching right?

RPF allows me to catch the sneaky flankers, keep my guns turned always on expected target or drop RPF torps when no CV/radar is around, how do you triangulate that?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,195 posts
12,822 battles
19 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Since I want to controll any possible engagements in my IJN torp boats I think RPF/RL has a great value since stealth and concealment is my bread and butter and being able to stay away from enemy gunboat DDs is golden. Other then that I always go for SE on my DDs, some extra HP can be a game changer in the late game.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,333 posts
7,885 battles
19 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

You don't need to get more flood chance with IJN torpedos, and increase their speed is not a very big buff now. With those 3 points either take SE to get more health (or AR, but I would rather take SE as with your T4 skills, you have all you need to avoid being spotted and thus the AR bonus will kick rarely).

[PANEU]
Players
4,320 posts
12,420 battles
1 hour ago, RAYvenMP said:

Lets also assume the enemy even understands what the icon is and what triangulation is, 

I always assume that most enemy players will be super unicums so I play around that. I don't like to hope for a potat to not understand what it means. If I can understand that when I'm rpfed while I'm second line that a DD has passed the front line and is now closest to me so can anyone else. This little information can ruin important torp runs

Usually I can easily figure out if there are sneaky flanker without that skill and in a Shima even if I knew it's usually not something I would be able to solve it guns because Shima guns win while kiting not while engaging. 

[1_MAN]
Beta Tester
74 posts

I will pitch in a bit, being somewhat capable DD captain [I have hidden stats cause i really found out that i am being target less that way].

The RPF I think is pointless, its good against potato, but useless against good player. You can out play potato. Telling a good player hey a DD is close, thats a game changer. After I stopped using RPF, my top hit rate went up 20 percent in a month or so.

Mandatory for any torp boat should be Concealment expert[4], Torpedo reload[3], Adrenaline rush[3], Last stand[2], Preventive Maintenance[1]. The rest is on your play style.

• Cool 1

[MBHH]
Players
793 posts
Vor 21 Stunden, Migantium_Mashum sagte:

If you expect to play against potentially good players (clan wars/brawls or ranked silver, gold), you won't use RPF for passive protection. It is too easy to figure out your exact position. Instead try to skill more active protection such a AR and Turret Traverse. AR also boosts your torpedo reload.

If you play random, RPF will be okay. Because the average player never looks at the mini map and get's extremely nervous once he gets "located" (--> makes mistakes).

Players
344 posts
24,796 battles

i land so many kills  with torps using RPF, that for me is a must. Having 15 torps, i put one volley in front of RPF, one in the back and one directly. Also help me to not waste the torps launching them in a smoke, if the RPF show me the dd left the smoke. In competitive when are fewer ships, knowing were enemy is, also help. (but i am an average player).

• Cool 3

Players
2,323 posts
20,586 battles

I still only have 19 points on mine but went mostly the same the only real difference was I went for the dazzle skill over RPF, I can absolutely see the value in RPF especially when blind firing torps, but I have found dazzle to be surprisingly handy for those moments when radared or when I just blundered into the view range of an enemy DD and I'm in the process of getting out of there fast.

Players
631 posts
3,865 battles

So many options but I started off with this one and just threw it on.
image.thumb.png.85a8ef54b62c3911ff7f124136df4c1a.png

I've only played two games with this so far but both were good. 

image.thumb.png.9a2ba0b4c2c5153d08f926e45519cc79.png

image.thumb.png.7832d992d83b4b8551e4d079cf54bee6.png

I need to play around with all of this and on my list to swap out would be

PT for LS
and 
RL for Dazzle. Maybe lose the additional speed of SiS and retain RL and then use Dazzle. Would possibly be an easier swap out. But I DO like the extra speed as it gets me where I need to be much faster of course. I could also of course drop flood chance and use that point elsewhere.

Lots of options lots to change and play with..

Overall I feel my DDs have been buffed significantly with the rework.

Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles

This is my build for 19 points so far. Here is the logic:

1st. Basics of survivability is a must to keep your torp tubes from breaking

2nd. Last Stand is self explanatory

3rd. Survivability Expert is a must so you can actually survive a torp hit

4th. Concealment

5th. RPF so you cannot get ambushed

6th. Torp reload

7th. Torp Speed. This one may be contentious, but since her torps are rather easily spotted the extra speed helps a lot. I have only played a handful of battles in her since the patch dropped, but every one of those was well north of 100k damage iirc.

For the last two points I will go for turret traverse and increased flooding chance. The latter is just the cherry on top and not needed early on, as the type 93s have the highest flooding chance in the game. You could question not going for Adrenaline rush, and maybe you would want to drop the torpedo speed increase and turret rotation for that one. I am however undecided as of yet.

Here are the reasons for the ones I didn't pick:

Dazzle: The shima is quite nimble and I tend to only smoke myself up late game, as I am constantly on the move. She can evade enemy fire well enough for me to not be worth the 4 points.

Concealed speed upgrade: She is fast enough and again I do not see the value in this. RPF is worth so much more, even though the enemy may know you're coming for him. Then again I don't really believe it is hard to know you're spotted by a dd to begin with.

Any gun upgrade: I use my guns, but only in specific situations. So buffing her fire chance is not worth the points for me. As is expert loader.

Just my 2c, but I like the build. Will have to figure out if AR is better.

shot-21.01.25_13.26.35-0902.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
7,309 posts
11,668 battles
3 hours ago, RAYvenMP said:

Lets also assume the enemy even understands what the icon is and what triangulation is, let alone the fact that what are the chances that enemy DD will sail around his friendly cruisers so the RPF will keep switching right?

Well, @Zuihou_Kai is right about rpf. Lets think this through: People, that do not understand what the marker is and what information it gives them, yet how to assume that DDs position, are hardly a threat anyway. But! the players that actually DO know "aha, there is a DD wth RPF and because I just got the RPF sign, that means he is riiight about... there" - those are the dangerous ones. So with RPF, you get advantages against bad/avg players, but give away info against the best players. Doesnt sound like a good deal to me, especially when we talk about IJN DDs here, which rather want to avoid beeing run down, compares to gunboat DDs.

Players
631 posts
3,865 battles
26 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

So with RPF, you get advantages against bad/avg players, but give away info against the best players

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

There are NOT that many best players :)

[TUICH]
Players
278 posts
5,400 battles

If you have RL you give some information but you get much more info in return.

[PANEU]
Players
4,320 posts
12,420 battles
21 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

There are NOT that many best players :)

and then clubbing casuals and noobs thanks to rpf isn't an achievement either so taking it to have an edge against an already challenged opponent is kind of...well lazy

Sign in to follow this