9 comments in this topic

[D_G]
Players
595 posts
3,560 battles

OK, so I have been playing Vanguard for some time, and I have two conclusions:

1) it is bloody difficult

2) it is bloody amazing

The key, as I have been warned, is to treat it as an oversized cruiser: get in close and blow up anything smaller than yourself, run away from anything the same size or bigger. Took me time to apply it, but suffice to say: I am not going back to the traditional long-range slugfest battleships as my primary ship type (I might use them if I feel like playing a game while half-asleep, though). One (the only, in fact) problem I do have with Vanguard is its artillery setup: eight twin turrets combined with very narrow turret traverse overall mean that I can only use two of the turrets if I do have to engage a battleship. That being said, since running away is usually a better option, that may not be an issue (I did kill an Iowa in Vanguard, but that was a) a bot and b) left me hanging onto last bit of health I had, so I had to spend all the repair consumables before returning to battle).

So what are the best cruiser-killer battleships in the game? I am thinking that French late battleships might be good, as they are fast, and based on the historical aspects should be overall similar to Vanguard (Richelieu had 8 15-in rifles, but in two quad mounts, and was quite fast). Other than that, I was told that Japanese Kongo is similar, though so far I could only afford to get Myogi; Kongo will need more XP, but that will come when it comes. So would it be better to switch to French or Japanese battleline? EDIT: I am guessing French, considering Japanese "endgame" is the Yamato.

[CATS]
Players
32,401 posts
16,198 battles

There is no battlecruiser line in game.

There are some ships that are battlecruisers or similar:

• Myogi
  • Kongo
  • Amagi
  • Ashitaka
  • Florida
  • Izmail
  • Slava (playstilewise)
  • Normandie
  • Dunkerque
  • Strasbourg
  • Champagne (playstilewise)
  • Prinz Eitel Friedrich
  • Scharnhorst (playstilewise, but is a fast battleship)
  • Hood

[D_G]
Players
595 posts
3,560 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

There is no battlecruiser line in game.

There are some ships that are battlecruisers or similar:

• Myogi
  • Kongo
  • Amagi
  • Ashitaka
  • Florida
  • Izmail
  • Slava (playstilewise)
  • Nordmanie
  • Dunkerque
  • Strasbourg
  • Champagne (playstilewise)
  • Prinz Eitel Friedrich
  • Scharnhorst (playstilewise, but is a fast battleship)
  • Hood

Many of those I have often seen classed as battlecruisers. But that is why I wrote "battlecruiser-style battleship", which is to say, a fast battleship that plays as a battlecruiser. Vanguard for example plays like a battlecruiser as it is fast, but with comparatively weak artillery for the tier.

• Cool 1

[RBNT]
Players
88 posts

I have Normandie, Lyon, Gneisenau, Kongo, Izmail, Mutsu...

Kongo-Long range, strong, it take time to used on him. I don't play him very often. 

Normandie - personally enjoy with her and Lyon, more on Normandie than Lyon. Good close and at distance, strong AP,  she had also until cap. rework and good sec. guns. 

Personally favorite - Gneisenau. Sec build, fast, strong, torps. Main guns aren't really precisely, you will need good captain. Threat after capt. rework: torps (torp protection isn't much), fire, sec. are less accurate that before (I have full sec. build). If you will grind for Bismarck, remember that when you are near to get him, start buy in armory containers with collection for main reward after you complete collection - 2 bismarck permanent camos. These containers are for coal.

Mutsu - not much speed, but not slow much), low AA (now after cap. rework unexistent), torps (but each torp you lans separatle), sec. build is on my Mutsu, good capt., moderate accurate main guns.

Izmail - more like bb with less range, vunerable on get citadeled from good AP.

My favorite: Gneisenau and Normandie :)

Man, sorry  my English isn't very good, but here I can't write on my language Croatian :)

• Cool 4

112 posts
2,115 battles

I like to play the French battleship line, the way you describe it (Tier X, Republique) not sure if i'm wrong on that or not. But generally the french battleships are good, fast flankers, with a decent amount of firepower :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
11,221 posts
7,600 battles
On 1/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, Pukovnik7 said:

OK, so I have been playing Vanguard for some time, and I have two conclusions:

1) it is bloody difficult

2) it is bloody amazing

The key, as I have been warned, is to treat it as an oversized cruiser: get in close and blow up anything smaller than yourself, run away from anything the same size or bigger. Took me time to apply it, but suffice to say: I am not going back to the traditional long-range slugfest battleships as my primary ship type (I might use them if I feel like playing a game while half-asleep, though). One (the only, in fact) problem I do have with Vanguard is its artillery setup: eight twin turrets combined with very narrow turret traverse overall mean that I can only use two of the turrets if I do have to engage a battleship. That being said, since running away is usually a better option, that may not be an issue (I did kill an Iowa in Vanguard, but that was a) a bot and b) left me hanging onto last bit of health I had, so I had to spend all the repair consumables before returning to battle).

So what are the best cruiser-killer battleships in the game? I am thinking that French late battleships might be good, as they are fast, and based on the historical aspects should be overall similar to Vanguard (Richelieu had 8 15-in rifles, but in two quad mounts, and was quite fast). Other than that, I was told that Japanese Kongo is similar, though so far I could only afford to get Myogi; Kongo will need more XP, but that will come when it comes. So would it be better to switch to French or Japanese battleline? EDIT: I am guessing French, considering Japanese "endgame" is the Yamato.

My favourite in that department is Gascogne 

• Cool 1

[URUC]
Players
456 posts

If you are looking for an entire fast line, then France. I got the JB for black friday, got the Strassburg for free, then started to skill french line - actually on Normandie. Consider that T6 Normandie - T7 Lyon have some bad turret angles, compared to their tier. Most lines leave the central turret at T5.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ships_of_France

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ships_of_Japan

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
1,199 posts
22,783 battles
On 1/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, Pukovnik7 said:

So what are the best cruiser-killer battleships in the game?

Fuso and Georgia imho.

The Fuso can easily Dev Strike those flimsy T5-6 cruisers. She has good reload and a small superstructure to farm.

She also has a large section of 35 mm deck plating which makes her very strong against HE spam (most heavy cruisers can HE-pen 34 mm, and most light cruisers either 25, 30 or 37 mm, but the latter only from T8 and if they take IFHE, so it's not a common occurence for the Fuso).

The Georgia can overmatch the 30 mm plating of many high-tier cruisers, she has good resistance to HE spam thanks to her own 38 mm plating and fast-reloading heals, she's got accurate guns that hit hard, and she's really, really fast.

French BBs are reasonably fast, but they often struggle against cruisers due to their small guns: the Normandie can't overmatch the Pensacola, the Richelieu can't overmatch the Hipper (nor can the Alsace).

The Izmail is also a good cruiser-killer, but the slow reload means she'll miss some opportunities other ships will take.

• Cool 1