Sign in to follow this  
Ubertron_X

Special captains and new skill tree

8 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,963 posts
18,780 battles

While pondering for a bit over what to skill for my favorite ships I noticed that not only the new skills themselves may prove problematic (*hint* cruisers *hint*), but also how the improved skills of some commanders have changed (mostly because the old skills are gone for some classes or have been moved) and some of my cherished builds have thus simply been vanquished.

For example Franz von Jütland, who was my prime captain for Hindenburg and Prinz Eugen, always protecting his team from those pesky torpedoes using Hydroaccoustic Search plus Hydroaccoustic Search Modification 1 plus Vigilance can not do his job anymore as Vigilance has been removed from both DD and CA (where it is best). He can now only use his improved Vigilance skill to the fullest in German BBs that actually have Hydro and only from T8+ which I do consider a brutal reduction in flexibility. And due to his 2nd improved skill not being something to write home about either WG has somehow managed to make an already struggling special commander even worse.

What is your take on special commanders with improved skills in the new skill tree, respectively what kind of positive surprises or similar setbacks have you experienced with your favourite ships and special commanders?

• Cool 4

[DSNF]
Players
44 posts
11,441 battles

Jack and Bert got robbed. One of their strongest skills (bigger smoke screens) has just vanished.

• Cool 6
  • Angry 1

[_S_]
Players
50 posts
5,525 battles

I recognized the same issue with von Jütland. 

Once he was able to make Prinz Eugen into something .... decent for me.

Now that is gone: no tanky cruiser, no torp detection for the team.

Sad :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 2

[-NYX-]
Players
270 posts
9,016 battles

Well the 2 von Jütland commanders got a specialize DD skill that doesn't fit ANY German DD
Why have a specialization on a skill when you cannot use it ever! ?

(I know there is a new German DD line coming.... but now it's free to try skills)

Than there is this lost option.
To me the removal of RPF on BB's is a huge downfall

• Cool 1

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles
1 hour ago, _Capt_Biggles_ said:

Jack and Bert got robbed. One of their strongest skills (bigger smoke screens) has just vanished.

and with the stopping ability of RN CL that ability had more benefit than just the extra room to manouver.

• Cool 2

[ALYEN]
Players
2,601 posts
4,358 battles
1 hour ago, ZWC said:

Well the 2 von Jütland commanders got a specialize DD skill that doesn't fit ANY German DD
Why have a specialization on a skill when you cannot use it ever! ?

(I know there is a new German DD line coming.... but now it's free to try skills)

Than there is this lost option.
To me the removal of RPF on BB's is a huge downfall

That DD skill on Jutlands is actually marked as not effective on all the German DDs :-) Says a lot about the quality of the rework as a whole ...

[-NYX-]
Players
270 posts
9,016 battles
50 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

That DD skill on Jutlands is actually marked as not effective on all the German DDs :-) Says a lot about the quality of the rework as a whole ...

That's what I said.

you cannot use it ever

Players
229 posts
7,274 battles

The Znamensky brothers are similarly affected, if used on a cruiser, post patch, they can now use only one of their three enhanced skills, the other two skills only appear when a BB is used. In a lot of instances real money was involved to get these commanders, WG are characteristically silent on this subject, no solutions or compensation offered.

• Cool 1