You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DerpyMcDoom

Rate the Captain rework update - Poll

What do you think of the Captain Rework?  

754 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Captain Rework?

• Completely unneeded, unintelligent turd !!!
    • 5 (at least CV got a nerf....)
    • Замечательно/remarkable, wonderful

197 comments in this topic

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles

Interested to know what the forum thinks of the update? 

Leave a small comment if you can so we can get more peoples poll results 

• Cool 4

Players
1,072 posts

First impressions: feels like the game now comes with homework. It's good that they recognised skills should have more variety (and ships should have more than one useful build in a lot of cases), but this doesn't seem to address that. I suppose the one captain-four skillsets feature is nice for folks who use their captains in more than one ship, but I can't see a use for it personally and presumably people are used to using those captains in similar ships so it doesn't seem like much of an advantage overall.

It actually feels to me like a move made by devs who've lost touch with the core of their game: the reason that battleships/cruisers/destroyers work against each other (in theory at least) is that they're all using the same movement, concealment, shooting and penetration mechanics; it should be the case that they can all work effectively from the same pool of skills. Carriers need their own set of skills because they have different mechanics (which is one of the main reasons they don't fit the game, in my humble one), but if the core three have variation then it seems less like adding options and more like adding complications that wouldn't be needed if the game was balanced properly.

• Cool 15

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,716 posts
11,759 battles
5 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

First impressions: feels like the game now comes with homework.

In the past it was much like a job. Grind. Grind. Grind. Now it also gives you homework.

Exactly why people play games, right?

• Cool 8
  • Funny 10

[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles

I don't mind the rework - as such - and some aspects (like the increased complexity) I actually quite like; I'm usually in favour of things that don't dumb down the game, at least within reason.

I do think there are good bits and bad bits within the skills; for example, yay for the one point flooding buff for DDs, but boo for the removal of the ability to go full manly with cruisers.

So, if it was just this stuff, I'd be moderately happy. The reason I only voted '5' was that this was the most positive I could bring myself to be given the ludicrous cost of the additional two captain points, with all of the 'overt greed' stuff that it implies. This mammoth (perhaps even Titanosaur?) turd really rather spoils what could have been a decent change to the game...

• Cool 6

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
16 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

First impressions: feels like the game now comes with homework. It's good that they recognised skills should have more variety (and ships should have more than one useful build in a lot of cases), but this doesn't seem to address that. I suppose the one captain-four skillsets feature is nice for folks who use their captains in more than one ship, but I can't see a use for it personally and presumably people are used to using those captains in similar ships so it doesn't seem like much of an advantage overall.

It actually feels to me like a move made by devs who've lost touch with the core of their game: the reason that battleships/cruisers/destroyers work against each other (in theory at least) is that they're all using the same movement, concealment, shooting and penetration mechanics; it should be the case that they can all work effectively from the same pool of skills. Carriers need their own set of skills because they have different mechanics (which is one of the main reasons they don't fit the game, in my humble one), but if the core three have variation then it seems less like adding options and more like adding complications that wouldn't be needed if the game was balanced properly.

10 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

In the past it was much like a job. Grind. Grind. Grind. Now it also gives you homework.

Exactly why people play games, right?

Just now, Verblonde said:

I don't mind the rework - as such - and some aspects (like the increased complexity) I actually quite like; I'm usually in favour of things that don't dumb down the game, at least within reason.

I do think there are good bits and bad bits within the skills; for example, yay for the one point flooding buff for DDs, but boo for the removal of the ability to go full manly with cruisers.

So, if it was just this stuff, I'd be moderately happy. The reason I only voted '5' was that this was the most positive I could bring myself to be given the ludicrous cost of the additional two captain points, with all of the 'overt greed' stuff that it implies. This mammoth (perhaps even Titanosaur?) turd really rather spoils what could have been a decent change to the game...

Random question for you all but what do you think of the Priority target point increase to 2 points? 

[LUZ1]
Players
1,368 posts
14,450 battles

Two cheers.

I think the new system actually isn't bad. I like the interface OK. It is fairly easy to use. The recommendations are helpful, though I won't follow them in every case. Nice to get 1K gold and hey, we have free respec and a 90% discount on switching commanders.

Also, many people complain it's a nerf, which it is. But everyone is getting the same nerf, so you're not worse off.

What gives me a bad taste though, is the shameless money grab. The silly amount of XP you need to grind to get the last 2 points for your commanders. 

• Cool 3

Players
1,072 posts
7 minutes ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

Random question for you all but what do you think of the Priority target point increase to 2 points? 

Have to confess that I never use any of the situational awareness skills, I prefer things that come with hard stat increases for the ship. For what it's worth though, I suppose on balance I'd say if I didn't think it was worth one point, it's less worth two...

• Cool 3

[NECRO]
Players
3,053 posts

I have not even made it to the skills so far because I have spent the entire day searching for my nefariously hidden reserve commanders to recycle them for EXCP and demounting upgrades from ships. Once there is sufficient reason to assume that WG is 100% done with those skills I will take a look at them, but until then I rate them "WIP".

• Cool 2

[BIF]
Players
449 posts
5,929 battles
6 minutes ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

That was usually my first 1  pointer on every ship i have. Not really a fan of that change :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 8

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
4 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Have to confess that I never use any of the situational awareness skills, I prefer things that come with hard stat increases for the ship. For what it's worth though, I suppose on balance I'd say if I didn't think it was worth one point, it's less worth two...

makes sense and interesting take. I always take it in every ship and never looked at it that way. I found the survivability of my ship mostly down to that skill rather than my awful perception of placement xD 

• Cool 1

[GWR]
Players
566 posts
9,661 battles
4 minutes ago, K82J said:

That was usually my first 1  pointer on every ship i have. Not really a fan of that change :Smile_sceptic:

spend a few dubs to get a 3 point Captain... makes perfect sense...kerching 

Players
1,072 posts
1 minute ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

makes sense and interesting take. I always take it in every ship and never looked at it that way. I found the survivability of my ship mostly down to that skill rather than my awful perception of placement xD 

I definitely get that point of view; I just figured that as the skill was essentially there to improve me rather than the ship, if I just learned to git gud I could save myself the point for something else ;)

• Funny 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,716 posts
11,759 battles
15 minutes ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

I have to agree there with a fellow captain. It was basically the first I grabbed on every ship because it gives you a lot of information.

But right now I don't care. I uninstalled an hour ago and won't playtill this mess goes away. Might be another 6 months. I don't care.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
1 minute ago, NobleSauvage said:

I definitely get that point of view; I just figured that as the skill was essentially there to improve me rather than the ship, if I just learned to git gud I could save myself the point for something else ;)

totally get it. Skill is a crutch rather than a buff 

• Cool 1

[V888]
Players
5 posts
8,161 battles
3 minutes ago, K82J said:

Exactly, got it on almost every ship, except Shima. Now on some of them there's no 1pt skill I want.

Overall, update rated 0/10. Have to spend absurd amount of ECXP to get something I already had, sometimes even weaker.

I'm already on brink of leaving, I guess it will come with subs joining random battles.

Such a waste of a potential.

• Cool 7

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
2 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

I have to agree there with a fellow captain. It was basically the first I grabbed on every ship because it gives you a lot of information.

But right now I don't care. I uninstalled an hour ago and won't playtill this mess goes away. Might be another 6 months. I don't care.

Not gonna give it a grace period to see how they (new skills) set in or just gonna wait and see what gets changed in updates? 

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
1 minute ago, KreesB said:

Exactly, got it on almost every ship, except Shima. Now on some of them there's no 1pt skill I want.

Overall, update rated 0/10. Have to spend absurd amount of ECXP to get something I already had, sometimes even weaker.

I'm already on brink of leaving, I guess it will come with subs joining random battles.

Such a waste of a potential.

Digression: I think subs will see some serious decline in veteran players. I swear WG have this idea in their head that introducing subs and some quick premiums is going to mix things up and excite people when actually its just going to add another ballache into the game that the majority of players will hate

• Cool 6

Players
1,072 posts
13 minutes ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

Digression: I think subs will see some serious decline in veteran players. I swear WG have this idea in their head that introducing subs and some quick premiums is going to mix things up and excite people when actually its just going to add another ballache into the game that the majority of players will hate

Subs feel like change for its own sake, not a natural addition to the game. Same with how hard the CV rework was crammed down people's throats, it just seems like WG wanted something shiny and new for the publicity value and didn't overly care about the gameplay value.

Then again, I'm not really convinced that we'll see them any time soon given how the development and testing have been dragging on for so long; It's actually kind of a shame, because they could arguably fit in better than carriers if they were just treated as extra-stealthy destroyers that are even more reliant on torpedoes, and had their ability to completely disappear balanced by not being able to see or attack anything when they do it.

• Cool 3

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
6 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Subs feel like change for its own sake, not a natural addition to the game. Same with how hard the CV rework was crammed down people's throats, it just seems like WG wanted something shiny and new for the publicity value and didn't overly care about the gameplay value.

Then again, I'm not really convinced that we'll see them any time soon given how the development and testing have been dragging on for so long; It's actually kind of a shame, because they could arguably fit in better than carriers if they were just treated as extra-stealthy destroyers that are even more reliant on torpedoes, and had their ability to completely disappear balanced by not being able to see or attack anything when they do it.

Pretty much yeah. They even stated that they will at some point run out of ship designs (not sure how when they can do specific, gimmick ships of the same class as others) and need to add new content. Its very much a case of "if not broken, why fix it?" for me

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
37 minutes ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

what do you think of the Priority target point increase to 2 points? 

At the moment - on DDs anyway - I'm trying to manage without it for now; the problem (for me) is that if I just recreate my old builds, they just get two points more expensive and slightly nerfed (generally). If we have to have this rework, I might as well try and find builds where I actually get something useful from spending 1.2 sodding million xp...!

The most interesting problems seem to be things like Smaland, Orkan, Kidd etc. where you're juggling the needs of dakka, torps, *and* consumables (especially heal and radar), to a greater or lesser extent, and simply can't afford everything you'd like to have. In that sort of context, you simply have to give up one or two skills that you'd really like to have, and PT is harder to justify for 2 points, whereas it was a slam-dunk at 1 (IMO).

Of course, quite a few players didn't bother with PT until their last point (or not at all) under the old system - this gives me a chance to see if they were right or not!

• Cool 1

[BULLS]
[BULLS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
10,352 battles
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

At the moment - on DDs anyway - I'm trying to manage without it for now; the problem (for me) is that if I just recreate my old builds, they just get two points more expensive and slightly nerfed (generally). If we have to have this rework, I might as well try and find builds where I actually get something useful from spending 1.2 sodding million xp...!

The most interesting problems seem to be things like Smaland, Orkan, Kidd etc. where you're juggling the needs of dakka, torps, *and* consumables (especially heal and radar), to a greater or lesser extent, and simply can't afford everything you'd like to have. In that sort of context, you simply have to give up one or two skills that you'd really like to have, and PT is harder to justify for 2 points, whereas it was a slam-dunk at 1 (IMO).

Of course, quite a few players didn't bother with PT until their last point (or not at all) under the old system - this gives me a chance to see if they were right or not!

Yes! For me it certainly seems like DD have taken the largest nerf at the expense of almost encouraging accuracy at range from BB play/cap builds. 180+ bb waiting in the game for a connection shows people are currently going towards the long range BB tactic 

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles
1 minute ago, DerpyMcDoom said:

For me it certainly seems like DD have taken the largest nerf

I'm really not sure how badly we've (i.e. DD drivers) been hit; on the one hand, BFT getting knackered is clearly a nerf, as is paying an extra point for AR, but we do have some promising additions too, such as the boosted flooding chance, and extra run-time on consumables (one thing I've been testing with Smaland is whether or not another 10% run-time on the radar makes a difference, and how often; an extra six seconds of engine boost seems to be handy more often than you might expect too.), not to mention that 'Dazzle' thing, or whatever it's called - I'm trying the latter on my lone 21 pointer at the moment; not sure if it's actually any use or not yet.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,082 posts
10,288 battles
5 minutes ago, EpicGoldenCat said:

imagine 4 points for additional heal

The sad thing is that on some ships that skill is still quite needed. There go my 4 points.

• Cool 1