You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pametrada

I like the new Commander Skills GUI..so far

40 comments in this topic

Players
616 posts
4,949 battles

Just having a look through how this works, and so far I'm rather impressed. Now. some people will have found problems, and I'll be interested to hear them, but it looks pretty good to me. As to the skills themselves, well, no comment yet.

One thing I would suggest is to make the number of unused skill points a little more prominent - that tiny red disc is a bit small.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 4

[SM0KE]
Players
6,889 posts
15,435 battles

I actually agree - the new skills interface seems pretty decent.

Something else I like: the 'recall commander' function. Basically, it appears to be the 'use last commander' functionality from WOT that I've been wishing that WOWS would adopt for years...

(Doesn't make the 1.2 million any less of a Richard move - having just bumped my first captain up to 21 points - but I feel I ought to acknowledge when WG don't bollix something up.)

• Cool 5

Players
616 posts
4,949 battles
4 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Go and check out the reserves.

Sorry - could you explain in more detail what you mean ? The commanders in reserve - what about them ?  :)

[ALYEN]
Players
2,575 posts
4,334 battles
1 minute ago, Pametrada said:

Sorry - could you explain in more detail what you mean ? The commanders in reserve - what about them ?  :)

try to respec one while not on a ship ...

• Cool 3

[HOO]
Players
2,182 posts
3,922 battles
4 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

How easily can you see what you have in reserve? The only way I've found to look at my reserves is to select a ship with no captain and click assign commander, i get a list of captains for that nation in reserve or on other ships.

have you found a way to just look at your reserves in any other way? Like we used to have.

• Cool 2

Players
616 posts
4,949 battles
8 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

try to respec one while not on a ship ...

I see what you mean, but doesn't the game need to know which ship a commander is assigned to before it can show the skills that are recommended ? I mean, do all destroyers have the same recommended skills as each other ? Similarly, with BBs, and cruisers - are they all the same ?

6 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

How easily can you see what you have in reserve? The only way I've found to look at my reserves is to select a ship with no captain and click assign commander, i get a list of captains for that nation in reserve or on other ships.

have you found a way to just look at your reserves in any other way? Like we used to have.

Agreed, you are right. It's not easy to get to the list of reserve commanders, is it...maybe an improvement for WG to look in to.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[ALYEN]
Players
2,575 posts
4,334 battles
Just now, Pametrada said:

I see what you mean, but doesn't the game need to know which ship a commander is assigned to before it can show the skills that are recommended ? I mean, do all destroyers have the same recommended skills as each other ? Similarly, with BBs, and cruisers - are they all the same ?

Agreed, you are right. It's not easy to get to the list of reserve commanders, is it...maybe an improvement for WG to look in to.

Try to respec the off-class part on a captain ...

There's a bunch of enhancements that killed or blocked previously available functionality.

The whole rework is not half-arsed ... it's like 10% done ... from the skills to the mechanics. The only good thing is the new looks. The functionality unfortunately was left not even on the drawing table but in the waste-paper basket ...

• Cool 5

Players
616 posts
4,949 battles
4 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

I see what you mean. Looks like some functionality has been left out.

[URUC]
Players
362 posts
1 ora fa, Fat_Maniac ha scritto:

Go and check out the reserves.

1 ora fa, Pametrada ha scritto:

I see what you mean. Looks like some functionality has been left out.

1 ora fa, Fat_Maniac ha scritto:

1 ora fa, Hugh_Ruka ha scritto:

There's a bunch of enhancements that killed or blocked previously available functionality.

The whole rework is not half-arsed ... it's like 10% done ... from the skills to the mechanics. The only good thing is the new looks. The functionality unfortunately was left not even on the drawing table but in the waste-paper basket ...

Solution: you have to respec ALL captains from HERE (can be done only ONCE)

https://worldofwarships.eu/it/news/general-news/resetting-skills-for-all-commanders/

then even those in reserve are resetted.

World of Warships respec.png

• Cool 2

Players
3,161 posts
22,801 battles

When thinking about how badly Wargaming are scamming and fleecing the player base with this cash grab Captain Skill rework, don't forget it also comes into play each and every time you transfer one of your newly upgraded 21-point commanders to a different ship.

Because retraining now of course is also vastly more expensive.

Also I couldn't even test this cause it didn't work.

I was unable to transfer new captains to my ships.

I would have been very surprised if there hadn't been any bugs in the very core functionality of the main change of this patch.

• Cool 2

[URUC]
Players
362 posts
5 minuti fa, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor ha scritto:

When thinking about how badly Wargaming are scamming and fleecing the player base with this cash grab Captain Skill rework, don't forget it also comes into play each and every time you transfer one of your newly upgraded 21-point commanders to a different ship.

Because retraining now of course is also vastly more expensive.

Also I couldn't even test this cause it didn't work.

I was unable to transfer new captains to my ships.

I would have been very surprised if there hadn't been any bugs in the very core functionality of the main change of this patch.

For now, i only tranfered a french captain from JB to Strasbourg to Dunkerque - all premium - and a german from Bismarck to Torpiz - a premium. No problem.

In 5 days i will have coal enough for Thunderer and then i have to upgrade my first cptn from Boy George.

Note they already announced a Server Reboot for tomorrow 0500 UTC. Try again later, but contact assistance.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

i like that the skills are separated by class

i like that some builds that resulted in broken ships have been seperated.

i dont like the way mid tier cruisers have been gutted, and i dont like the premices of half the skills, and i dont like the over reliance on broken game mechanics.

2 hours ago, Pametrada said:

The commanders in reserve - what about them ?  :)

wait, how do you get to your reserve commanders now?

i was wondering if i would have to buy t1 ships and reset/dismiss them all that way.

[NECRO]
Players
3,070 posts
Vor 6 Minuten, SkollUlfr sagte:

i was wondering if i would have to buy t1 ships and reset/dismiss them all that way.

That was my workaround for the time being... one of many workarounds.

Players
938 posts
6,584 battles

I generally like the new AI

MISSING: Direct link to the reserve so I can see what captains I actually have in reserve.

• Cool 1

[LX]
Players
286 posts
20,485 battles
17 minutes ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

I generally like the new AI

MISSING: Direct link to the reserve so I can see what captains I actually have in reserve.

Also missing: Ability to see commanders in the reserve from other nations. Old UI used to list them last and greyed out. But you could still dismiss them etc.

Also missing: right click on commander to pull up a menu to assign him to another ship.

Also missing: Personal file. Where you could see all commanders.

• Cool 3

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,718 posts
11,786 battles

So let me see if I truly understand what happened to the UI of the captains.

The stuff that used to be on the left side went to the right side.

The stuff used to be on the right side went to the left side.

All the information you need got smaller.

You can't see your captains in reserve.

The UI doesn't show the captain linked to the ship it is on. Wonder if you see it when you put it on a prem ship if it belongs to which ship.

Meanwhile the interface has awesome huge areas where there is absolutely nothing.

cqt8x5QveYxwWpSZ_qYxkr1Ni0EN8ZB8Vzut_4VI

• Cool 2

[ALYEN]
Players
2,575 posts
4,334 battles
1 hour ago, S_h_i_v_a said:

https://worldofwarships.eu/it/news/general-news/resetting-skills-for-all-commanders/

Please note I said RESPEC not RESET ... RESPEC means reset and redistribute skills ... and the button is TEMPORARY ...

[NECRO]
Players
3,070 posts
Vor 28 Minuten, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor sagte:

You need to open the Cpatain menu and then click the intuitively labelled "Change Commander" button.

Which works only for the national reserve. Useful to see what you have for this one nation, but having no overview over your entire reserve, you are forced to check all nation after nation (if you happen to have a ship, else you need to buy one) to see the composition of those occupied reserve slots.

• Cool 1

Players
3,161 posts
22,801 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, MementoMori_6030 sagte:

Useful to see what you have for this one nation, but having no overview over your entire reserve, you are forced to check all nation after nation

Quite.

Which is why I made a whole entire thread about it, criticizing WG, some weeks ago after first discovering this on the public test server.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
1,036 posts

I like how the UI looks.....that's it.

I do not like loosing the single carousel captain view we had.

I do not like the captain skill tree and how they made some low level skills higher levels.

And I feel I got more and better built from the old tree....to a waaaay cheaper price.

And most of those "recommended" skills from WG is so.....wrong.

This rework is a massive 2 thumbs down from me.

• Cool 2

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,718 posts
11,786 battles
6 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Quite.

Which is why I made a whole entire thread about it, criticizing WG, some weeks ago after first discovering this on the public test server.

Like they read it lol

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RODS]
Players
1,807 posts
7,821 battles
1 hour ago, S_h_i_v_a said:

That worked like a charm..

Saved hours of resetting to 0

Now I can focus on testing some builds