Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Chiv

Memorial for Smolensk

77 comments in this topic

[BOATY]
Players
1,055 posts
15,545 battles

First I know Smolensk has been broken since before it was live. Yes I know it is the bane of many bbs. Yes I know!

So with the above mentioned I would like to lament the passing of this ship. I use to love the smolensk. It was always good for mission where I needed ribbons or fires or I just needed to grind some easy credits. It would fulfilled my darkest desires to watch the world burn. Now it is meh. Fire breathing Russian dragon has become a flame broiler in a Burger king. I shall miss you.

Before

shot-21_01.19_20.04_01-0245.thumb.jpg.85a391a76512c61d74dcd6ec3215241f.jpg

After

shot-21_01.21_06_54.12-0264.thumb.jpg.cc358e4a927442fcecb7479837ebefcf.jpg

RIP-Rest-in-Peace.thumb.jpg.09d5f3b8f13c4d7a45acca0cb574f3b9.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

Players
25 posts
5,955 battles
2 minutes ago, Hummus said:

What did they change?

Commander skills, BFT is no longer a thing so Smole's range got decreased and as a miner consequence of that, its reload. (depending how you ran the smole in the previous patch at least)

Players
611 posts
5,063 battles

It's Russian. I would be shocked if it didn't rise from the ashes with a targeted range buff in a week or two.

• Cool 4

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
605 posts
5,230 battles
2 minutes ago, Comrade_Fluffs said:

Commander skills, BFT is no longer a thing so Smole's range got decreased and as a miner consequence of that, its reload. (depending how you ran the smole in the previous patch at least)

Yhea but the range was silly anyway, and we're getting 10% extra dmg on the HE shells ... so I don't think it'll be the end.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
3,922 battles
23 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

First I know Smolensk has been broken since before it was live. Yes I know it is the bane of many bbs. Yes I know!

So with the above mentioned I would like to lament the passing of this ship. I use to love the smolensk. It was always good for mission where I needed ribbons or fires or I just needed to grind some easy credits. It would fulfilled my darkest desires to watch the world burn. Now it is meh. Fire breathing Russian dragon has become a flame broiler in a Burger king. I shall miss you.

Before

After

Step 1 show them Austin

Step 2 Kill Smolensk. (which should never have made it to the game in that state)

Step 3 Release Austin. Make mountains of cash.

• Cool 2

Players
25 posts
5,955 battles
6 minutes ago, Hummus said:

Yhea but the range was silly anyway, and we're getting 10% extra dmg on the HE shells ... so I don't think it'll be the end.

Oh yea, i forgot about that skill, so i think in practice only its range got a nerf

[CAIN]
Players
4,939 posts
20,778 battles

Smolensk is hardly "dead" after the rework.

And even if it were, apart from Smolesters (players who like to play that damn thing) nobody would sadened by it.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
20 minutes ago, fumtu said:

F(*ck) Smolensk. Only good thing in the whole Captain Skill rework.

Why not [edited]Thunderer and especially CVs? :Smile_sad:

• Cool 3

Players
611 posts
5,063 battles
5 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Why not [edited]Thunderer and especially CVs? :Smile_sad:

"We do what we must because we can"?

[BOATY]
Players
1,055 posts
15,545 battles
14 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

So what's the max range now?

if you take the mod 16 km. 

6 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Smolensk is hardly "dead" after the rework.

And even if it were, apart from Smolesters (players who like to play that damn thing) nobody would sadened by it.

For me it is a lot less fun. The skill changes combined with every damn bb is a sniper now makes the game play a ton of hurry and and wait and may get a few pop shots at a dd before a rain of overmatching shells nukes it.

19 minutes ago, Hummus said:

You do realize that about 33%-75% of a smolensk damage was in fires which the change forces players to take the range mod and thus lose 22% total rate of fire. I actually did the math on this a bit ago and the damage even with the HE buff was still like a decent nerf. That combined with the loss of 2% in fire chance just makes this thing less lethal all around.

24 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

It's Russian. I would be shocked if it didn't rise from the ashes with a targeted range buff in a week or two.

If it had like .5km more on the top end in range I would be ok with it. I miss 16.5km which is where Im use to playing it.

29 minutes ago, fumtu said:

F(*ck) Smolensk. Only good thing in the whole Captain Skill rework.

I said the same thing the first time I face one. Then I got one and it the feeling of watching people rage in chat cause they auto dcp on a single fire only to get 4 fires in 20 seconds was hilarious.

Players
197 posts
4,067 battles
52 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Before

After

[edited]your smolensk [edited] [edited]

Players
2,244 posts
9,153 battles

When I got pissed of because of my team mates I punished the next team by taking out Smolensk for a round. So I kind of liked Smolester for that role. On the other hand, she was the main cause for the stale sniping meta, so it’s good to see her nerfed.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
3,922 battles
5 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

You do realize that about 33%-75% of a smolensk damage was in fires which the change forces players to take the range mod and thus lose 22% total rate of fire. I actually did the math on this a bit ago and the damage even with the HE buff was still like a decent nerf. That combined with the loss of 2% in fire chance just makes this thing less lethal all around.

So basically WG just balanced it.

It was considered OP and cancerous before, now its actually working in the way WG should have released it in the first place. 

However you paid for that boat, and it's just had a major change to its gameplay, so I fully understand your frustration.

We have a precedent here. WG when they made the smoke firing penalty changes offered all Belfast owners a full refund. If they felt the change to Smolensk was that significant they could have offered that option again. However WG have said they will look at Smolensk closely to see if any balance changes need to be made.

[CAIN]
Players
4,939 posts
20,778 battles
9 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

It was considered OP and cancerous before, now its actually working in the way WG should have released it in the first place. 

However you paid for that boat, and it's just had a major change to its gameplay, so I fully understand your frustration.

We have a precedent here. WG when they made the smoke firing penalty changes offered all Belfast owners a full refund. If they felt the change to Smolensk was that significant they could have offered that option again. However WG have said they will look at Smolensk closely to see if any balance changes need to be made.

Belfast was bought with money, Smolensk with an ingane currency,  I.e. coal.

So norefund needed.

And you xan bet your ***, WG will find a way to buff that thing.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
3,922 battles
1 minute ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Belfast was bought with money, Smolensk with an ingane currency,  I.e. coal.

So norefund needed.

And you xan bet your ***, WG will find a way to buff that thing.

I'm not so sure.

I think they might just release something new that is better, to extract more cash, like a proper Premium version. Imagine a dockyard event for that and the money they could make.

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
Players
1,055 posts
15,545 battles
15 minutes ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

[edited]your smolensk [edited] [edited]

Ahhh you must have been one of the kids who fueled my twisted glee when you raged in chat. Thanks for that.

10 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

1. You do realize this whole post was a meme right?

2. WG balancing.....HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Since when?

3. Yeah I read that too. I would much rather see flint with more range tbh. 11k for a t7 even with smoke is just bad.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BOATY]
Players
1,055 posts
15,545 battles
50 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Step 1 show them Austin

Step 2 Kill Smolensk. (which should never have made it to the game in that state)

Step 3 Release Austin. Make mountains of cash.

I just read this and Damn you maybe right. Though I think Austin will be steel as it is replacing somers which is steel. There is no way in HELL WG is gonna give a sap loaded light cruiser away for coal. I mean after smolensk and thunderer I think maybe they learned their lesson? Maybe?

[SURFA]
Players
122 posts
7,495 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

I just read this and Damn you maybe right. Though I think Austin will be steel as it is replacing somers which is steel. There is no way in HELL WG is gonna give a sap loaded light cruiser away for coal. I mean after smolensk and thunderer I think maybe they learned their lesson? Maybe?

I think being generous there if think they seem to learn anything.   If anything seem to double down.

with Smolensk then if spotted just pump HE at it.   Last game in conqueror was very satisfying.    Came round corner there was Smolensk broadside on and citadelled with HE shells to destroy and win the game.

[BOATY]
Players
1,055 posts
15,545 battles
1 minute ago, mdjmcnally said:

I think being generous there if think they seem to learn anything.   If anything seem to double down.

with Smolensk then if spotted just pump HE at it.   Last game in conqueror was very satisfying.    Came round corner there was Smolensk broadside on and citadelled with HE shells to destroy and win the game.

You could have done that at 20km+ with HE.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,141 battles
44 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

I'm not sure they have, y'know.  Or at least not very much.

Swap Main Battery Mod 3 for Gun Fire Control Mod 2 and the range is back up to 16k

Main Battery Mod 3 gave you -12% ROF, but that was 0.4 seconds saving and if it bugs you, get most of that back situationally with Main Battery Gunner (4pt skill, -8% ROF)

Heavy HE shells skills, meanwhile,  gives you +10% per shell damage with no concealment penalty (gun calibre is below the 149mm threshold) and you're still chucking out 16 shells every 4.5 seconds

So a Smolensk with a 14pt+ captain is still going to be a royal pain in the butt, I'm afraid, and not much different from the old one.

Another PSA: playing with modules says that it's going to cost Credits to buy new ones (i.e the MBM/GFCM switch above) but it doesn't seem to be deducting them from the account. 

Sign in to follow this