Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SirTogII

Santa Container advertising was against the law - decision from CARO

28 comments in this topic

Players
847 posts
8,054 battles

A small step in the right direction. What next, I wonder... a restraining order? A cease-and-desist?

Probably just business-as-usual-rofl-losers-$$$$-kek, but oh well. One has to try. 

[SHAD]
Players
3,800 posts
15,180 battles
23 minutes ago, SirTogII said:

Apparently the Cyprus Advertising Regulation Organization (CARO) has concluded that Wargaming's advertising of the Santa Containers were in breach of the Cyprus advertising code and ordered WG to change or remove it. 

This of course is a moot point now since they are no longer on offer but it at least provides those who did not agree with it some comfort that they were correct in their view. It will also hopefully lead to clearer campaigns in the future with more transparent advertising. 

Now perhaps we can put that debacle behind us and move on to the Lunar boxes :Smile_teethhappy:

Source please?

[CAIN]
Players
4,939 posts
20,778 battles

...and yet, we'll get lunar crates this week. 

Besides, WG would just change their advertising or some other minor thingy, and sell them under a different 

Players
3,184 posts
14,794 battles

the only reference to the above mentioned organization is this, which is not a government/EU body, so i'm unsure of it's powers.

Cyprus Advertising Regulation Organization

May 2010 - Present10 years 9 months

Nicosia, Cyprus

An independent non-profit body established by advertisers, advertising agencies and media. Its role is to ensure that ads are legal, decent, honest and truthful by applying the Cyprus Advertising Code.

• Bad 1

Players
614 posts
5,063 battles
1 hour ago, SirTogII said:

Apparently the Cyprus Advertising Regulation Organization (CARO) has concluded that Wargaming's advertising of the Santa Containers were in breach of the Cyprus advertising code and ordered WG to change or remove it. 

This of course is a moot point now since they are no longer on offer but it at least provides those who did not agree with it some comfort that they were correct in their view. It will also hopefully lead to clearer campaigns in the future with more transparent advertising. 

Now perhaps we can put that debacle behind us and move on to the Lunar boxes :Smile_teethhappy:

It is not at all a moot point for the reasons you stated yourself... this hopefully will have an impact on future loot box campaigns by WG.

As for the decision itself, hardly surprising. WG's actions were so evidently against EU consumer law that no amount of lawyering could have helped. Can't polish a turd.

• Cool 1

Players
17 posts
5,621 battles
41 minutes ago, Salentine said:

the only reference to the above mentioned organization is this, which is not a government/EU body, so i'm unsure of it's powers.

Cyprus Advertising Regulation Organization

May 2010 - Present10 years 9 months

Nicosia, Cyprus

An independent non-profit body established by advertisers, advertising agencies and media. Its role is to ensure that ads are legal, decent, honest and truthful by applying the Cyprus Advertising Code.

If it's like the UK's ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) then it'll have no direct powers or have the ability to "legally" enforce any rules as it's not legislation (laws) however, all companies and advertisement agencies will follow their code of conduct (rules) as if it were "legislation" as the last thing they want is ASA pushing the government and their rules becoming actual laws in the UK. 

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,170 posts
15,102 battles
18 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Seems like somebody in CARO didn't like their Makarov

Or they didn't get one.

Makarov Lima to be released soon and then Makarov Black next Xmas.   Will any one be around to notice though?

Edit: Forgot to mention HSF Makarov and ARP Makarov.....

• Cool 3
  • Funny 10

[SHAD]
Players
3,800 posts
15,180 battles
30 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

Or they didn't get one.

Makarov Lima to be released soon and then Makarov Black next Xmas.   Will any one be around to notice though?

Edit: Forgot to mention HSF Makarov and ARP Makarov.....

Someone at Wargaming::cap_hmm: 

[NECRO]
Players
3,169 posts
Vor 4 Stunden, Bindolaf_Werebane sagte:

A small step in the right direction. What next, I wonder...

WG will leave Cyprus for Russia. I just watched a long YouTube video detailing a decent piece of real estate at the Black Sea, complete with FSB protection details, which might be for sale now.

Edit: I am afraid there has been a translation error when the wishlist for the buildings' features was written. The "hookah lounge" comes with a pole dance platform. Did the boss order a "hooker lounge" and some poor sod thought better of him?

• Funny 9

Players
1,092 posts
4 hours ago, SirTogII said:

@MrConway @Crysantos @YabbaCoe

Does WG have an official statement responding to this, out of interest?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Against the law? THE LAW?

Also nobody cares anymore, they acknowledged it was misleading and offered refunds on simple request.

I am the law.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,170 posts
15,102 battles
20 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Must be fairly bad in a country that used to sell 'golden passports'.

To think our family was thinking of emigrating to Cyprus or Australia in the 1960s.   My parents chose right - Perth (WA).

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
2,107 posts
8,378 battles
3 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

Must be fairly bad in a country that used to sell 'golden passports'.

To think our family was thinking of emigrating to Cyprus or Australia in the 1960s.   My parents chose right - Perth (WA).

Australia seems awesome but jeez the wildlife.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,170 posts
15,102 battles
3 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

Australia seems awesome but jeez the wildlife.

If you grow up there you learn how to cope.   There used to be lots of bush around in Scarborough where we used to play and we never saw one snake - we did see plenty of goannas (harmless lizards).

The only time I was worried about the wild life was the nesting season for Magpies (birds).   They used to aggressively swoop at us if we got close to some trees.  I think on one occasion I put my bicyle over me on the ground as protection.

Sharks were never a problem - there used to be spotter planes around.  No nets to keep them out of the swimming areas like they have in the Eastern States.

I moved back to the UK in 1989 for work and travel (I used to be a crazy motorsports fan).   I went back to Perth in 1993 (F1 race in Adelaide), 1995 (last F1 race in Adelaide) and 1997 (F1 race in Melbourne).    I found the flies really bad - I went to the local race track (Waneroo) and bought some food to eat - I had to sit in the car to eat it as there were less flies then..

• Funny 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
4 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

:Smile_ohmy:

It's CNN so it could be entirely made up, but just in case it isn't, please tell me this majestic creature is called Chad?

• Funny 2
  • Bad 2

[D3V1L]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
201 posts
1 hour ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Also nobody cares anymore, they acknowledged it was misleading and offered refunds on simple request.

I am the law.gif

• Cool 1

[JOLLY]
Players
520 posts
12,015 battles
6 hours ago, SirTogII said:

http://www.fed.org.cy/fed/userfiles/CBC6177_Wargaming_Decision_Public.pdf

http://www.fed.org.cy/fed/userfiles/CBC6164_Wargaming_Decision_Public.pdf

the sources you need

• Cool 6

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
7 hours ago, SirTogII said:

Wargaming's advertising of the Santa Containers were in breach of the Cyprus advertising code

Not surprised; if I'd written something like that in my past lives, I would expect to get into trouble with Trading Standards...

[JOLLY]
Players
520 posts
12,015 battles

key points made by CARO include

"Given the above, the Jury find that the Santa gifts campaign as is, is in breach of articles 3b and 5a of the Cyprus Advertising Code and needs to be amended. It should be amended within 5 working days from the dispatch of this decision. Please note that, for the purpose of assessing the deadline, count begins the working day following the dispatch of this decision."

and 

"The Jury also notes that, since Wargaming did highlight in the discussion the value the place on customer satisfaction, it would perhaps be preferable for future promotional offers to specifically point out if a ship is not available for outright purchase or not."

and

"Given the fact that at least some ships cannot be purchased outright from the Premium Shop, it is the opinion of the Jury that this explanation, especially the phrase “by purchasing the necessary ship”, is in breach of articles 5a and b of the Cyprus Advertising Code and needs to be amended to reflect the fact that some ships may not be purchased outright. It should be amended within 5 working days from the dispatch of this decision. Please note that, for the purpose of assessing the deadline, count begins the working day following the dispatch of this decision."

• Cool 8

[NECRO]
Players
3,169 posts
Vor 15 Minuten, Bellegar sagte:

Very interested what WG has to say about this.... 

Probably the mantra of Peskov: "This is a compilation of worthless statements and nonsense." :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this