Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Northern_Nightowl

Main battery accuracy, comparisons of players?

33 comments in this topic

Players
111 posts
4,781 battles

Hello!

Just out of curiosity, what could be seen as a good, an average and a sub-par accuracy when it comes to main battery usage?

I'd like to be able so make a comparison with my own shooting ability (currently 34% over all ships combined, I currently have just begun to use the Nomogram dynamic sight, every battle until 2 days ago was with the stock sight. Lett see if it'll improve).

Regards, Nightowl

[2DQT]
Players
407 posts
3,800 battles
2 minutes ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

Hello!

Just out of curiosity, what could be seen as a good, an average and a sub-par accuracy when it comes to main battery usage?

I'd like to be able so make a comparison with my own shooting ability (currently 34% over all ships combined, I currently have just begun to use the Nomogram dynamic sight, every battle until 2 days ago was with the stock sight. Lett see if it'll improve).

Regards, Nightowl

Personally I think average damage is a better indicator. Your accuracy can differ per ship type, and per ship with some ships having more-then-rainbow arcs, aside from advanced players nailing a troublesome unspotted or smoked ship, where it is worth to keep shooting it despite some misses.

A suggestion, if you're practicing, is not to ejaculate a whole broadside with one click, but to fire one shot first and see how on target you were with it before firing the rest.

Players
921 posts
6,026 battles

apples to fruit salad comparison.

high tier ships have laser guided railguns that makes hitting targets easier.

even in the same ship, many players will happily blindfire smoke for as long as its there, while others only shoot where they can farm damage.

some players will snap-shot at a dd as soon as its spotted just on the off chance, some wont even try.

then there are the cyclone games where some people shoot based on mini-map contacts where others wont.

too many variables.

noros sight should just be the standard ingame sight with settings for 25, 30 and 35 kts for tuning. its more intuitive than the basic sight anyway.

it helps first shot accuracy when you play a lot of different ships.

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
6,203 posts
12,211 battles
1 hour ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

Hello!

Regards, Nightowl

The overall accuacy doesn't matter, because there are playes, that are maybe DD mains, and some are BB mains, some are Allrounder, just by the ship type itself the hit rate will differ. Best is, you compare the same ship

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

Id also like to add, that it matters from where you shoot. Ive seen people with rather decent hitrate, but extremely low survivability and other stats. That just means, they rush in, get some hits in and then die - which obviously doesnt help anyone.

• Cool 4

Players
111 posts
4,781 battles
Vor 30 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

Id also like to add, that it matters from where you shoot. Ive seen people with rather decent hitrate, but extremely low survivability and other stats. That just means, they rush in, get some hits in and then die - which obviously doesnt help anyone.

You've got a point, there.

But do you maybe know about some listing of what values in win rate, survivability, BB / CL / CA  accuracy at tier X are good or not so? :cap_book:

Regards, Nightowl

Players
7,312 posts
11,668 battles
2 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

But do you maybe know about some listing of what values in win rate, survivability, BB / CL / CA  accuracy at tier X are good or not so? :cap_book:

Everything, thats, clearly above the average ^^

which you can look up here for example: http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20210116/eu_week/average_ship.html

In case you havent found wows-numbers yet, you can check your own stats here and compare, more convenient than ingame: https://wows-numbers.com/player/572924104,Northern_Nightowl/

In your case, I wouldnt focus too much on hitrate as of now. Focus on survivability and straight up damage. Now how do you get there, is a completly different question. If you want help with that, we need to analyse your playstyle and how to improve it. For that, 2 or 3 recent, normal replays are the best option.

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,216 posts
9,992 battles

Scratch the Post.

The LostSailor was Faster.

[NECRO]
Players
3,167 posts

I see so many "players" who spend the entire game shooting at each other, the landscape or the ocean if there is no enemy ship in sight that their hitrate must be in the single digits. In many cases, this might very well mirror their overall skill. On the other hand, game features like the notorious desync or can even ruin the hit rate of top players.

Players
111 posts
4,781 battles
Vor 55 Minuten, ForlornSailor sagte:

In case you havent found wows-numbers yet, you can check your own stats here and compare, more convenient than ingame: https://wows-numbers.com/player/572924104,Northern_Nightowl/

In your case, I wouldnt focus too much on hitrate as of now. Focus on survivability and straight up damage. Now how do you get there, is a completly different question. If you want help with that, we need to analyse your playstyle and how to improve it. For that, 2 or 3 recent, normal replays are the best option.

:cap_like:

Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the links; and I'd like to take up on your offer about taking a look at replay files. Help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

As I grinded through the missions for getting the tier 5 perm camos (the ones where you have to own a Strasbourg for finishing the first stage), I currently only have coop sourced files. Nevertheless, I'll try to provide some replays of random battles that I assume typical for me. They'll surely be either BB or cruiser.

FYI: my most advanced tech tree lines are the US BB (T7 Colorado + Kansas from early access), US cruisers (T7 New Orleans + T6 Dallas), UK BB (15k credits short of buying the T7 KGV) and German BB (T7 Gneisenau) + cruiser (T8 Hipper). I actually researched the T7 DD Mahan, but this is an exception,  as I do not favour DD or CV gameplay.

I felt quite fond of the Bayern, as it has the things that I currently need: decent robustness, speed and guns; and I like my Gneisenau as well, as she has torpedos.

Regards, Nightowl

[CATS]
Players
31,089 posts
15,723 battles
7 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

Hello!

Regards, Nightowl

Somebody who plays more DD will beat you easily without being better...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
219 posts
1,737 battles

Accuracy is less important than the number of damage/kills you are doing in your ships. But just for the reference currently having 29% accuracy on Yamato, 32% on Thunderer and on DD (Akizuki) 45% 

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
8 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

But do you maybe know about some listing of what values in win rate, survivability, BB / CL / CA  accuracy at tier X are good or not so?

Well, you basicly always want to look at the entire picture, f.e.:

- 40% WR with 60% survivability is obviously not good. That means, that person is just camping at the back, letting his team die, which makes his team lose more often while he survives

Essentially, the higher you WR, the higher can/should your survivability be. Everything above 50% WR starts to be ok, because - obviously - you dont make your team lose. If its below 50%, you are a detriment to your team. For survivability, it depends on the classes. There is basicly no reason for DDs and Cruisers to die. The longer they live, the bigger the impact. BBs are expendable, and can achieve victory by making a push even if they die for it. They have the standing power to break up fortification of enemies and survive long enough to take enemy ships with them. This needs a team which capitalizes on you doing that tho.

As for myself, i have a survivability of ~65% for 2 years now in basicly any class (CVs excluded, they survive more often due to their nature). It could be slightly more, but sometimes i just go in even if i die when the game is already won. Yesterday i played Venezia, and the enemies were just so passive, that eventually i rushed an Izumo and killed it. But i ended up in a crossfire so i died, but didnt matter at that point, i was looking for something fun to do before the game ended.

If you manage >50% WR, your survivability can/should be around 40~%. The higher your WR, the higher your survivability will usually be, as only being alive lets you influence battles.

As for hitrate... even within the class, there can be quite some difference.

For BBs id say you look for something like 27-37%. Less accurate BBs, like GK, are most likely below 30%, while very accurate BBs, like Thunderer or LU Yamato, can probably reach up to 37%.

Cruisers, those with floaty arcs, so CLs like Wooster, will usually have 30-35%, while more accurate ones can even go past 40%

DDs can go above 50%, but id say 45%+ is good enough.

In the end, everything combined will be influenced by your own skill. The most important factor is the will to win games. If you want to win, you will improve and the other stats will follow as a result.

5 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

I actually researched the T7 DD Mahan, but this is an exception,  as I do not favour DD or CV gameplay.

You still might want to concider given DDs a try. If you know how to play DDs, it will make you a better BB captain, because you understand how DDs have to play. And if you know that,they will be less of a threat to your BB.

• Cool 2

Players
3,996 posts
20,132 battles
10 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

You've got a point, there.

Regards, Nightowl

hit rate doesnt matter since aiming is the easiest part of this game. what makes a player good is map avareness and positioning. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,939 posts
20,778 battles

I have a hit accuracy of 0.39% and while this may seem low, you should know that all my ships are build for max range and i only use my guns when my spotter plane is up.

Essentially, only ranges above 30km, you gotta keep those HP intact, right.

Also, compared to real life BB hitrates, i am golden.

After the commander skill rework, i expect that my hit rate will go further up, and so will most likely my average damage from currently 3.5k in my Yamato. My goal is to crack the 4k damage mark per game.

Now excuse me, gotta go back to J1.

[VELOS]
Players
199 posts
2,843 battles

Hit rate would be a good statisic if no rng was applied (call me dispression). In wows stats i see many purple players having a hitrate between 35 - 45%. Different ship types, ships and shells mechanics make this stat variable. Since we have so many variables in this stat it is unclear to determine if a player is good or bad in aiming.

[CATS]
Players
31,089 posts
15,723 battles
12 minutes ago, GeroGompos said:

Hit rate would be a good statisic if no rng was applied (call me dispression). In wows stats i see many purple players having a hitrate between 35 - 45%. Different ship types, ships and shells mechanics make this stat variable. Since we have so many variables in this stat it is unclear to determine if a player is good or bad in aiming.

RNG is the same for everyone on specific ships.

But as explained, playstyles make a huge difference. Somebody who Yolos all the time and opens fire late, might get a better hit rating than an unicum who tries to hit targets in smoke or goes for long distance shots from time to time.

Players
611 posts
5,063 battles

Op has high hitrate but extremely low survivability, low win rate, and low avg damage. On that basis, I would per @ColonelPete surmise that they tend to yolo, go close, fire at knife fighting range, and die quickly.

Players
111 posts
4,781 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, arttuperkunas sagte:

Op has high hitrate but extremely low survivability, low win rate, and low avg damage. On that basis, I would per @ColonelPete surmise that they tend to yolo, go close, fire at knife fighting range, and die quickly.

:-/ That's not wrong, I tend to become too aggressive, or to stick with a chosen side, even if the ships there are overpowered by an enemy group.

Anyway, I've included 2 replays, so I may get fustigated. :Smile_trollface: (And for learning something.)

Regards, Nightowl

20210120_164859_PASC206-Dallas_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

20210120_162804_PASB008-Colorado-1945_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

Players
611 posts
5,063 battles

By far the most difficult part of this game - as a BB player at least - is learning to read situations and understanding what's about to happen before it happens. There's no shame in struggling with it, I certainly do.

If you haven't looked at this guide, I recommend giving it a read. It was certianly an eureka moment for me. 

Anyways, best of luck in growing and developing as a player.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts

Main battery accuracy as an average depends on your preferred class as well, BBs will yield less MBA then DDs for instance as most BBs due to the RNG cant really go over 30-ish % unless you literally lean on the enemy ship and fire, also withing a class there are differences for instance hitting something at mid-long range will be much easier with Nevsky then with Wooster or say Slava vs Ncal due to the shell speed differences...

Nomogram IMHO doesnt really improve aiming, I use it on and off but its mostly because it speeds up my aim not because its better, I actually have slightly better accuracy when I use normal dynamics but the nomogram lets you take those snapshots at turning stuff that bring in the devstrikes...

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
35 minutes ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

In general:

Try to use shift to zoom in and out when shooting. Its faster, and you can pay attention to your surroundings. When you are only zoomed in, you dont see whats happening around you, unless you look at the minimap all the time (which i assume you dont).

Dallas:

First, im not a fan of not moving ahead quickly, as you might miss opportunities to help your DD. Usually waiting too long can leave you in a bad spot where something spots you (the CV f.e.) and you are too far away from an island and a BB can try to shoot you.

shot-21_01.20_18_38.40-0653.thumb.jpg.ad89601e5b356ba6537b5acc88786c28.jpg

You dont want to fight open water in a Dallas, especially not early game. You can try to do that later. You were lucky, that you had BBs actually pushing with you, and you had enemy BBs doing the same. Thats ideal situation for any Cruiser to lob shells over islands.

First choice was the island to your left. Just slow down, and start farming. Btw use HE more than AP, its just easier. When you get the basics right, you can start to use AP as you will understand when to use it. It certainly does make sense, but not always. Against a Graf Spee - dont do it, unless you are so close where you usually dont want to be, because Graf Spee has torps and large caliber guns for a Cruiser, he can just overmatch your armor (when you are in the Dallas)

2nd alternative spot was to use the island infront of you, to stay undetected. You might not be able to shoot over it when the Lyon started pushing, but you could use it for some time.

shot-21_01.20_18_39.09-0084.thumb.jpg.44be54b3d05ef810a26302640a78abdb.jpg

Moving past the island was just no... There was a Graf Spee and a KGV previously unspotted, you didnt know where they went. Thats why, the Graf Spee spotted you when you come around the corner. If you see a Cruiser rather close, pop your hydro. It helps the BBs behind you to dodge torps (for you aswell ofc). Not all Cruisers have torps, and not all of them have longrange torps, but since you probably dont know it yet, rather assume that they have and use the hydro. You will know which Cruisers have what type of torps when you play more.

In that picture, you did turn in. That was the 2nd really bad move. You couldnt get away any longer. Turning out you could have hid behind that island. Its not your job to tank damage when you have 3 BBs with you, because a Dallas simply cant tank. (see minimap which place i mean)

shot-21_01.20_18.40_01-0826.thumb.jpg.fe861d6d50d7655d414828b9343a35bf.jpg

You moved even further out, putting yourself into a Crossfire from all angles. Lyon on the left, 2 BBs on the right and a Graf Spee ahead. Its just waiting to get slaughtered pretty much.

I just played a game with Marblehead on that same map, that will show you what im talking about.

20210120_164854_PASC044-Marblehead-1924_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

Im trying to use island cover as much as possible, so i dont get spotted. Sure, its a bit tricky when a CV is in the game, but there aint much other options. You can shoot open water - yes. But not against multiple BBs around from all angles. You can dodge one, and the 2nd sees you turn broadside and then you get smacked. Against one, its possible to keep juking his shells for some time.

Ill watch the Colorado replay sometime later.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
2 hours ago, Northern_Nightowl said:

20210120_162804_PASB008-Colorado-1945_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

Well not much to say about this one. Following your DDs if ofc always the right choice, but since they all ran to one flank, this game was basicly lost from the start. At best you could ask them to split up so that atleast 1 could spot on the other flank.

What is a big problem, is your target selection in this game. You need to focus on one ship, and kill it. If that ship is kiting away, dont bother with it. Look at those that are bow in, which means they cant disengage.

image.png.0a91c5b6db9549bb93803d03c9ff888d.png

Strasbourg and Omaha are kiting, the other Strasbourg and Nelson are not. At best you could try to kill the Omaha, but he is not a big threat really. Also you need to look at what your teammates are doing. If you keep rushing in, you turn an advantage into a disadvantage, because they cap pick you off as their lone target.

image.png.615f335df7a68d658a7dc4c792f497df.png

This here is already too far in. You show them broadside all the time and you keep pushing in. First the DoY dies, and then you. And only 1 strasbourg dies in return, so you lost 2 BBs for 1 BB, while your flank was 9 vs 4 at that moment.

First get rid of the Strasbourg closest to you. Then the Nelson. Nelson is very squishy, but learning that takes time. Colorado has big caliber guns for its, when you face T5-7 BBs, you can overmatch most of them. When you face T8+ BBs, you cant overmatch any (except Champagne i believe). Best shots are always against broadside targets ofc, but with Colorado you can aim for the bow of the Strasbourg or Nelson. Nelson has a huge citadel, so remember that.

Killing the Nelson and Strasbourg would have relieved the pressure from that flank, and there was a chance to kill the targets coming in from behind, but thats theoretical at this point.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
3,160 posts
10,750 battles

@Northern_Nightowl

In a game where you have 2 caps and the enemies have two caps, you don't want to put yourself into a situation where you have to push into them unless the time+points require you to do so.

At this point you see a substantial enemy force push into your other cap, while there is just a lone BB defending and there is a friendly DD turning to defend as well. Go help them! This is a superb way to create a nasty crossfire for that enemy force. Your help there would be pivotal in stopping their flank push.

image.png.a0adc0d33986d35a645f5bd2fff93014.png

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
7 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@Northern_Nightowl

In a game where you have 2 caps and the enemies have two caps, you don't want to put yourself into a situation where you have to push into them unless the time+points require you to do so.

At this point you see a substantial enemy force push into your other cap, while there is just a lone BB defending and there is a friendly DD turning to defend as well. Go help them! This is a superb way to create a nasty crossfire for that enemy force. Your help there would be pivotal in stopping their flank push.

image.png.a0adc0d33986d35a645f5bd2fff93014.png

:cap_like:good advice, has all makings for a good turkey shoot...:fish_haloween: